September 22, 2014 | 1488 users online

Powder - Aveda - Inner Light Dual Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2013 1:54:00 AM More reviews by samrnemtp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Used this for the first time today. Went on so easily with a brush and a little goes a long way! Did not feel heavy at all. Only thing I didn't like is it started to cake a bit around my nose after 5-6 hours so i may need to try to apply less in that area? Over all I loved it. I have the lightest shade called Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2012 4:55:00 PM More reviews by marsi23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

You don't even feel this foundation on. It is easily applied with a brush and you don't need a lot of time to do so. I apply it with the Prescriptive's round brush.This foundation is very natural and barely noticeable. It definitely evens out your skin tone and its difficult to detect you have it on. This foundation has not broken me out. It doesn't accentuate the flakiness either. However, I would say if you have mostly clear skin this product is a gem. If you have acne or dark discoloration it won't cover it up. You will need a concealer. I use the color Aster for my NW20 skin. The packaging sucks and I don't want to pay extra for the case - minus 1 lippie. If I wasn't such a product junkie I would stick with this foundation. At least when my skin is clearer it looks amazing. By the way if you do have large pores this will not make them appear bigger. Also, I am sure you can even cover them up using the Clinique pore refining product. However, I believe that a product is only good if it can deliver results by itself and I refuse to add additional products to make it work. Particularly since I am acne-prone. For reference: my skin is combination/oily with dry patches, large pores, breakout prone, and easily congested no matter how much I exfoliate or moisturize (Glytone lotion works for this). I also have been told by my dermatologist to only use powder foundation. For those of you with similar skin conditions I hope this helps.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2012 8:51:00 AM More reviews by smashlers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am always having problems finding a proper match to my skin tone as well as something that will work with my excessively oily skin. I was in an Aveda salon and decided I should give this a try after hearing good things about it. It is cheap at $24 for the refill and it does give you an airbrushed buildable finish.

The problems with Aveda is that it is hard to find. Only certain Aveda salons even carry the product in this area. Also, you buy the compact and then keep it and replace the inserts. They are inserted very deep into the compact so they are messy and you end up with powder all over the sides and underneath. There are only 9 colors available as well, so that isn't really many when you are looking for an exact match to skin tone! You can order online, however then you are also going to pay shipping of course.

I also realized that this product was not matching so well on me once I was in direct sunlight, and decided to just try different products! It is a great product at a great price overall if you can find it in your color.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by berned_you

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is THE BEST foundation EVER! It's so easy to apply with just a swipe. The coverage blends so well and looks fresh and dewey but not shimmer or greasy. I barely even need a concealer for my acne with this foundation because it covers so nicely. I'm so in love with it that I'm telling everyone I know. I'd be devastated if it ever was discontinued. My bare minerals can't even compare to this stuff.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2012 11:58:00 PM More reviews by BoandChica2

Really liked at first, but I wore it over a liquid foundation. Too expensive for what you get. Then you have to buy the compact to put it in?? Please! By itself it doesn't do much. Over another makeup it works at a setting powder and looks nice, but then it gets oily on me. It's alright, nothing special for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2012 4:45:00 PM More reviews by oliviaaa16

This is my favorite foundation ever. You have to apply with a primer under, because if you don't it wont stay on long at all. I find that this gives a really nice natural finish, and i think it's mineral foundation, so it won't make skin break out and does not have any harsh chemicals or parabens. The coverage can be build up, and even used as a concealer. At around 20$ a compact, this is a really good foundation, but it does not last an extremely long time.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2012 3:08:00 PM More reviews by dauncey07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just recently purchased this on a whim ... because of how many great reviews it has received on here, and I have to say - this will be another one of those. This will now, and hopefully forever be my HG foundation! Which I must give Aveda props for ... I have been searching for such an amazing product for many years now. It's frustrating trying to find a foundation that covers extremely well, doesn't cake, wears all day, doesn't produce shine and goes on like a dream - and this one does it all. I did read that people complained about the packaging - which I don't understand. I was advised to just use it in its plastic packing it comes with - and so far its been fine, and saved me 35$ CDN on one of their fancy compacts. Just don't throw away the sponge that comes with it (if you choose to not use it) and keep it inside the packing with the foundation so it doesn't move around and potentially crack. I will say however, that I bought the lightest shade 01cream, and in the salon it looked pretty darn good with matching my skin tone - but once I got home .. I find it to be a tad too light, which is nothing to fret about - I just had some bronzer. So once I run out of this I will probably purchase one shade darker. Definitely give this stuff a try! It's a great foundation! Good job Aveda!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2011 6:48:00 PM More reviews by EmbalmerBabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just recently discovered this and I really like it. I was in the market for a nice powder foundation, but wanted to avoid MAC Studio Fix and go for a more natural line.Glad I stumbled into the Aveda shop.
This provides nice even, smooth coverage. I am pretty fair and went for the Cream shade. The only thing I do not care for is the packaging, I wish it would come with the compact for an introductory offer. And then you can buy refills after to pop in your compact. Other than that minimal complaint this is a very nice powder foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2011 11:16:00 AM More reviews by KyChic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Out of all the mineral foundations I've tried this is THE best so far. BE, Laura Mercier, Merle Norman and Physician's Formula all left my skin feeling itchy, uncomfortable, and irritated. By the end of the day (sometimes not that long) I would look splotchy, greasy, cakey, or washed out. I also never found a great color match with any of the previous brands.

The obvious plus for Aveda is that it does NOT itch or irritate my skin. It's feels very comfortable, as if I'm wearing nothing at all. And it hasn't broken me out. In fact, I think it has improved the condition of my skin; breakouts aren't as frequent and my skin tone seems more even. This might have something to do with the *mostly* natural, plant based ingredients. I also found a perfect color match: 03 Linen, which is on the fairer end of medium. These features alone are huge for me and outweigh all the negatives (which I'll get to in a minute). But first I'll address the rest of the positives:

+No shimmer. I prefer to add shimmer (or extra glow) with products other than my foundation.
+Packaging. The powder compact makes for easier, faster, less messy application than other brands. I feel like I waste less than I did with the loose powder formulas.I know some people might not like the small powder compact and minimal packaging. No it isn't fancy or glamorous packaging. But I'm over all that.
+Great texture/application/blendability. The powder has a buttery soft feeling. It's very fine, and melts right in with my skin and blends quickly and evenly. Even on top of heavier moisturizers. It's also very buildable coverage minus the cake, and never settles into fine lines or pores even when I wear heavier coverage.
+Never greasy or shiny. Ever. This might be because it lacks shimmer or mica.
+Price. I think $24 is pretty reasonable.

Ok there are some negatives...

-Can accentuate dryness. Sometimes it can feel a little heavy and cakey if I apply with the sponge. But this problem is remedied with my skin care; I've noticed that if I exfoliate and moisturize I don't have this problem.
-Doesn't provide enough covereage for undereye circles. But again, I think this problem could be solved by other means, like a better eye cream (which I have yet to find). Or I probably just need to find another product for concealer, since I battle the undereye problem more often than not these days.
-Isn't very long-lasting. I have to re-apply mid or late day, especially if I have a particularly knarly blemish or redness. And although I think it is reasonably priced, I hit pan on this pretty quickly. I buy a refill roughly every month-month and a half.

Sooo to sum up, if you are looking for a mineral makeup and you have dry or sensitive skin, I would definitely suggest this product. There is no bismuth, talc, or mica, and no parabens or synthetic ingredient I've found to irritate my skin so far. And I've been using the product for about 5-6 months now. Or if you've tried other mineral formulas with no luck (as I did) and are looking for something a little different, try this!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by kimdburns

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation. It gives such a nice finish. I apply this over the TM by Aveda. Just lightly if any in the summer but a little more during the rest of the year. I use this dry with the Sephora #55 brush and it lasts all day.