October 25, 2014 | 902 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 12:20:00 AM More reviews by SecondCityPrincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I honestly adore this perfume. I don't know whether it's partially because I've fallen for it's story, because it's always been the ultimate symbol of glamour, it's place in history or purely because of it's totally unique scent but even though it costs quite a bit and I'm not the biggest earner I never feel like I've lost out by buying a bottle. There's nothing I love more than looking in my perfume shelf and seeing a full bottle of it just sitting there. The packaging is iconic and in it's simplicity probably one of the most beautiful perfume bottles of all time, perfectly encapsulating Coco's ideas of beauty. The scent itself is just breathtaking. If I ever feel down I spray a bit in the air in front of me because it's just so comforting yet at the same time, empowering. It smells like so many things and that makes it smell like nothing else. It lasts for ages and even with a small spray, you'll catch a sniff of it on yourself from throughout the day. This perfume gives me confidence that I just don't get from any other perfume or shoes, clothes or even make-up. I know it's been criticised for being an "old lady scent" but someone (I genuinely can't remember who) explained it perfectly to me. The old women that No.5 brings to mind were the flappers in the 20s, the glamourous women of the 30s and the pin ups of the 40s. They all grew old and kept wearing the same perfume. It's lasted this long because it deserves to and because as Coco intended, it really does smell like a woman. Sorry if this isn't descriptive enough but the way I smell it it's warm, powdery, very floral but with a kick. Slightly soapy in the best way and the most obvious floral scent is, I would say, Jasmine. Suits anyone with the confidence to wear it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2014 1:47:00 PM More reviews by highrise

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bona fide, textbook Classic. I loved that it was (arguably) the first abstract perfume, smelling like nothing but itself. My mother wore Shalimar and Rive Gauche, so I don't have a family history or association with No. 5. The first bottle I bought was a splash bottle of EDT; Coco had just come out but I felt I should start with the benchmark. I didn't get it: too clean, too streamlined, not really...there? A little too sophisticated for an 18 year old.
Years later, my more educated nose (and brain) learned, compared, and now adores it. I like older bottles of the EDT which have more personality and oomph than the modern. And now I've just been gifted with the new EDP by my husband, and I love it even more. Plush without heaviness, luxe, gilded, but wearable with anything, anytime.
True luxury and beauty that anyone can own.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2014 5:09:00 AM More reviews by mushroom8118

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

My mom gave me this perfume as my wedding gift in 2007 and I'm still halfway through. It is and still is my mom's all time favorite though. Honestly it wasn't my total favorite but the scent is acceptable and I usually wear it for special occasions like dinner parties or weddings due to it high silage and superb long lasting power. It is seriously a very strong perfume, so use sparingly. It lasts all day so only a little is needed. Smells as if there is a billion types of flowers being squeezed in a bottle. Classically powdery but nice and warmth. It surely made me feel classy and in control. Super pricey indeed for me but will buy it again if I ran out. Reserved only for special occasions only.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by slfalk

I wore this on my wedding day and I love it. Floral rose with powder and a hint of spice- very classic and almost old-world, if you will. Reminds me of Europe!!

Lots of people think this is old-ladyish, too powdery, too strong - heard all of that and more. I think it is imperative that one a) not put too much of this on, regardless of formulation b) WAIT for the fragrance to settle (at least an hour, maybe two), and c) wear it for at least 3 days, through different humidity before you make your decision. If you hate it right off the bat, I get that, BUT this is a scent that really takes a long time to settle down and and I find it smells different in different weather.

I love this stuff, wear it often and it takes a very small amount - even with the EDT. I've used the EDT and EDP, and I actually like the EDT a bit better - but that may be too that I have the EDT in a vintage refillable from the 70s. (I love vintage).

Anyway, everyone should try it - and give it a chance - it's a classic for a good reason.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by dyanp989

Extreme migraine trigger, can't come near anyone wearing this. Pretty, but not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by glvazquez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can never be without it. This is what a classic fragrance should smell like.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2014 8:21:00 AM More reviews by matx1967

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

My husband got this for me while killing time in a duty free shop at the Orlando airport. I tried it right away, since I had not used any fragrance that day and so it wouldn't be competing with another scent.

I want to like it, but I can't bring myself to try it again. I certainly would not wear it to work while still in the "deciding" stage, so it will have to be a weekend project.

It's an iconic luxury fragrance with a long history, which makes me feel like I should like it. However, if I tried it as a blind test there is no way I would ever entertain purchasing or asking for this fragrance as it stands now.

I know it is expensive, and it is very clever packaging: 3 20 ml EDP spray bottles that fit into a sleek and chic black "lacquer" and gold case that looks like an oversize lipstick--you twist the top counterclockwise and the atomizer pops up--twist it clockwise and the atomizer recedes back into the case. 3 20 ml bottles is just over 2 oz of fragrance--even if I use this every day it will take many months to use up and I am really trying to have only 2 or 3 fragrances at a time that I use up before getting a replacement or something completely different.

I will edit after I decide yay or nay, but I think I am sadly leaning toward nay on this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Gabriela11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

When I was young I didnīt like this perfume. I thought it was for mature women. However, when I turned 50 years old I bought it and I felt in love with it. At my age I find it very sensual and sophisticated. It is not my signature scent, but I use it on special occasions. Certainly is a perfume that I return to buy when it's over.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by fionarocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this for winter-the aldehydes are weird and sparkly and it's interesting.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2014 3:36:00 AM More reviews by AllyDean

I bought this perfume due to the marketing and from the crazed hype over this product featured in magazines. The service and special feeling of purchasing a Chanel product also added to the experience. However, the scent on the testing paper and me was totally different which I was extremely disappointed. On me it became a scent that I would associate with more mature perfume users. However, after a few hours had passed, it become a beautiful scent.

I am quite conflicted over this perfume as I dislike the overpowering initial scent but do love the resulting scent once the initial scent dissipates. However, due to the longevity of this perfume which i find quite rare, i have decided to give it a higher rating.