December 19, 2014 | 1576 users online

Treatments - Nail Magic

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2013 2:08:00 PM More reviews by jaclynb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I've been a nail biter for over a decade. Finally decided to break the habit this past may and nix the nail biting. I longed for nice nails but since I had bitten them for so long, they would grow and break, peel and were yellow.

Enter nail magic! Bought it at Sally's and the associate recommended I apply it once a day for a week. On day 7 I remove the polish, let my nails breathe for a bit and then reapply. I have only had two broken nails in over six months (a HUGE deal) and my nails are a beautiful white. No problem with burning or stinging here.

Only con is this shit stinks. But that's not really a big deal. I apply it in the morning and it dries in about 30 seconds and go on with my day. It's not recommended for weak nails due to acrylics so read the directions!! This stuff's pretty great.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/24/2012 11:41:00 AM More reviews by angred67

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have used nail magic for about a year and I always experienced some burning. I last used it a couple of months ago and two fingers on left hand and three on my right hand felt like burning hot pain. I am talking real pain and swelling. I removed the nail magic, but the pain was still there, and then white puss came out of my pinky finger and my other infected fingers had clear puss coming from underneath my fingers! I don't know why this happened but I will NEVER use nail magic again!! I am talking pain for weeks...not days! Swollen and my nail bed lifting on one finger. I am now searching for another product that will not burn like hot fire with razors!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by BCbabe

This stuff seriously saved my nails. Period. They'd suddenly all decided to peel over this past summer and it was so bad I gave up coloured polish all together. I stuck to treatments only and tried anything and everything in the Barielle line(my usual go-to), Growing Nails (with the garlic), Duri Rejuvacote, Spa Ritual protein treatment... nothing was working until I gave Nail Magic a try. I've been using it for the past month or so and I'm so impressed with how good my nails are now! They're strong and hard and pretty much all of the peeling has grown out. Phew!! I do believe this contains some liquid form of formaldehyde (listed as methylene glycol), which might be why some people have burning as it can cause allergic reactions in some people. Their website even mentions this and recommends stopping use immediately and soaking your nails in ice water for several minutes. I'm glad I didn't get any reactions but I understand the hate for those that do. For me it worked and got my nails out of an ugly rut. I would definitely repurchase, as long as I remain 'reaction free'. *knock on wood*

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by kborel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I too have used this product for probably 10 years and it is THE best nail strengthener that I have ever used. I discovered them at a trade show that I was working and was blown away how well it worked. I have natural nails and have never experienced any burning. I have no idea what would make that happen except to say that we are all different and maybe it's just a sensitivity/allergy that most of don't have. Finally found them online and will be ordering my stash.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2012 9:00:00 AM More reviews by JordanGalore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nail Magic is a great nail strengthener. I had acrylics for months and in turn had really weak nails. I did some research on nail strengtheners and at first purchased OPI Nail Envy. I used it for a couple of weeks but wasnt impressed. I then went to the 2nd best option for my nails and purchased Nail Magic. After reading the directions carefully, I made sure to WAIT at least 4 weeks before I used it on my thin, post acrylic nails. After about 6 weeks (just in case), I started to use Nail Magic and it was great! I made sure to keep it away from my cutilces as it states in the directions and I have nothing bad to say about it but the smell. It's a bit strong, but Nail Magic does the job for strengthening my nails as its supposed to. I am a fan and will continue to purchase it. Please make sure to READ the directions very carefully before use.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2012 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Slone07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My nail thickness fluctuates a bit (hypothyroidism and supplements both have an affect on my nails) and I've found that the thinner your nails are and the longer this product stays wet on them, the more likely you are to experience burning. I now use a single coat, painlessly, and receive the same, strengthening results. That burning is nothing to joke about...it hurts for HOURS even after you remove the product. This strengthens my nails well, but they're not impervious to peeling on occasion. It's a HUGE improvement, but not as strong as I'd like--though I'm really not sure anthing will give my poor, crumbling, peeling nails that kind of strength.

My mother has been using a bottle I sent her after she took her gel nails off. She has informed me that her nails are rock hard and that she didn't have to cut her natural ones down at all (hers are ungodly long and I was concerned that after she took her gels off, she'd have to cut them down...NOPE! She does have better nails than me, though. ;)

Update: Recently, I've started using Mavala Scientifique Nail Hardener underneath this and while it's too early to tell for sure (I like to let my nails grow a full cycle before reviewing), it seems to be working even better! My nails have taken on a wonderful hardness that I've never experienced before. They are much harder, but still slightly flexible and not at all brittle. I have NOT experienced any additional sensitivity, which I was worried about given the extra formaldehyde. I've also found that if I buff my nails a little, the Nail Magic makes my nails look like they're gel coated--I get asked all the time now about my nails! These two products are giving me the one-two-punch that I really needed for my poor nails! I'm so happy!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by ScyllaSomnus

The sales lady from Sally's recommended this product to me and I bought it before reading the reviews here. For the last two months I've been using it at least once every week, some times twice a week and in general rather pleased with it. I apply it perfectly and never get any on my skin.

However! Last week I woke up the next day with my ring finger and my pinky on my left hand feeling like I slammed them in a door, which I did not. I shrugged it off and just assumed I did something to cause the pain during the night.

Last night was different though. After finishing my mani those two fingers started feeling like they were burning. The nail bed and sides looked red and inflamed. The space between my nail and finger tip have swollen and clearly visible underneath. Typing this up still hurts those two fingers. Comparing ring finger to ring finger and pinky to pinky it is a noticeable difference in nail shape, size of swollen flesh underneath and color.

I'm disappointed that this has started happening to me, as I've been rather pleased with the product while it was not causing me pain. I could see the healthy nail growing out, but this is not something I will continue to use and go through each week.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2012 1:22:00 PM More reviews by onefitmommy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have used this product on and off for years and love it! I have read some reviews about the burning and I was informed by the company that it should never hurt or burn. That if it does then one of two things is happening. I have removed artificial nails recently and the nails are not strong enough yet to use a alcohol based product on or that I am allergic to something in the product. Either way if this occurs to stop using immediately. I have never experienced this myself but thought I would share so anyone else experiencing this would not endure but stop.

My nails are beautiful and I am asked often who does them. I proudly state they are mine! Hope this helps.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2012 7:57:00 AM More reviews by Kallia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this product for about 8 weeks now. Twice a week, I apply a thin coat on bare nails, then continue with my usual manicure.

I experienced burning only once. It was right after removing the acrylic and applying 3 coats on my nails. The damaged nails along with a lot of product is what I believe to cause the burning sensation. After this experience, I only apply a very thin coat and no more. I have experienced no pain since.
Now for my results thus far. There is a sharp deliniation on my nails where I can actually see the difference in what is healthy nail and what is damaged. My nails below the damage are pink and smooth. They also appear to be thicker than the damaged area. I have had no nail breakage or chips as a result of using Nail Magic.
My nails are the longest they have ever been (Yay, free edge!)
Once my nails grow to a point where I see no damage, I will update this review. By then, I should be able to give you a good idea of how strong my nails have become. At this time, I do plan on purchasing again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2012 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Rosebud9

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It contain formaldehyde. It makes the nails so hard that they can actually lift from the nail bed. That's what happened to me and it takes forever to grow out because it just kept lifting.