MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

on 12/21/2014 4:23:00 PM

Perfect multi-use brush, stippling foundations, sweeping powders, blending contour; you get the point.
However I only paid around 8 for this on eBay and not RRP around 35.
If I lost this I would 100% re-buy straight away, providing it was still at the low cost, if not I would hesitate. If you have the cash to splash and can't find it on Internet then go for it !

So i was really excited to get this brush until the first time used it and i was really shocked that the black hair falls! i got very disappointed for such this quality! i got it for like 66.90$ because mac in my country is expensive, so the next day i went to the store to return it and they say that i can't because i've used it already and i was like whaa? do you call this quality for this price!? so they called mac's makeup artist and she told me that its normal because its real goat hair and the hair that falls is an access and it wouldn't affect on its quality so the solution she recommend to me is to wash it with water before i use it and wiping it with tissue (aha, lol?) and she promised it will solve the problem and she told me if it didn't work and the hairs still falls i come to her and she will deal with returning my money. so i went home and did what she told me and i was surprised that it worked! and now this is far my favourite brush for TM or for light foundations1 i use it for different things and it works so good! i even prefer it more than sigma f80!

on 11/18/2014 11:12:00 AM

I don't review brushes often, but I had to weigh in on this one. Unlike the 130, this one does not bleed black dye like crazy, and if it sheds, it isn't noticeable enough to comment. But the reason I can't give it 5 stars is that it is very difficult to keep clean and fresh smelling. I have used the MAC brush cleaner, baby shampoo, Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and beautyblender solid and liquid, and for some reason, this brush just doesn't want to let go of some products. Right now, after several washes, I can't get a stain of MAC natural skinfinish off of it. And this was after one use with a very light hand. Frustrating.

on 9/13/2014 7:39:00 AM

Despite its biting price, I absolutely adore the product. This is the only high quality duo-fiber brush I got, but I literally can't imagine myself using same one from any other brand.

#187 is made in Japan and has got both natural and synthetic bristles for a flawless blending and airbrushed finish.

You can use it either for applying your foundation, powder, mineral makeup - but my outmost favorite way is to use this brush with very highly pigmented blushers. It will pick up just enough of product and blend it seemlessly.

When I use this brush to apply my blush - I notice that it lasts all day long and looks very natural and never spotty or anything.

There is a great blog post explaining how to use #187 for blush, hope it helps!
www.theppb.wix.com/thepartyparrotblog

on 9/9/2014 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

i got this from a holiday set. Usually the quality of the holiday sets are not as good as the individual ones. This one has very soft bristles but it sheds a lot. in one application, it shedded like 8 pieces of hair on my face. While this is supposedly to be a good brush, it just cant compare to my trish mcevoy's stippling brush.

on 9/5/2014 12:08:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

This brush is amazing! The best I've used. It really does give a flawless finish when using any liquid foundation, once you get the hang of using it properly. The only thing I would say is, on the first use, it shed quite a bit and I was left with bristles on my face. However, it stopped on the second use and hasn't done it since! You will get no streaks and a natural, non-cakey finish. Great.

on 8/6/2014 6:31:00 PM

This brush did yeoman's duty for a long time, but stopped using it about 2 years ago after I got my Beauty Blender sponge. However, I recently had to resurrect this to apply liquid foundation that could stand up to fluorescent office lighting. SHEDDING STRAY BRISTLES LIKE CRAZY!! What happened? Old age, I guess. Going in the trash... Will not be replacing.

on 7/8/2014 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

One of my least used brushes. When I bought this, I thought I would have so many uses for this, but I dont find it very useful at all. Not good for any of my foundations for all of my foundations are pretty thick, I like full coverage and this brush is no good for that. I dont really like it for any of my blushes. Do not even try to use this with a cream blush! Made that mistake, didnt blend just made the bristles stick together. Perhaps powder foundations and setting/finishing? Nope. I get better results from a different brush or better yet, a puff.

Very pigmented highlighters both powder and liquid, and very strong pigmented blushes(ea:NARS Exhibit A)are about the only reasons to use this brush. Still, I normally use other brushes or my hands for that. I find this brush flimsy, almost raggedy with its few thin bristles spaced far apart.

And it sheds.

I will end up throwing this away if I cannot find anywhere on the internet a real good reason to use this.

on 6/5/2014 2:01:00 AM

I give it 4 stars is because it can do a nice job on blush, moving onto foundation, I think it is over raved, I prefer 190 than this to do my foundation, this one just take too long to blend everything out

on 5/20/2014 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

My MAC 187 sheds like crazy! Applying my foundation takes much longer than it should because I constantly have to stop and pick the hairs off my face. This would be a fantastic brush if it didn't shed so much. I would be very upset if I had purchased this brush myself, but my mother gave it to me to try since the large amount of shedding rendered it useless to her. I just ordered a stippling brush from MUG, hoping for better luck with that one.

Video Reviews & Tutorials