April 18, 2014 | 1868 users online

Powder - Laura Geller - Balance-n-Brighten Baked Color Correcting Foundation (All Shades)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2013 8:13:00 PM More reviews by maggierose4

I got this Laura Geller Balance-n-Brighten in Medium as part of the QVC Ultimate Holiday Train Case. I had been looking for a finishing powder but was impressed by the on-air demo of this product as a foundation. Since my skin is typically clear and I have minor imperfections to cover I thought this was worth a try. My skin tone is in the MAC NW23-25, Guerlain Beige Natural, MUFE HD 125 range.

Balance-n-Brighten is a baked foundation which starts out as a cream. The medium shade is very pretty in the pan. It has swirls of cream, beige, pink and gold in it. When the shades are combined the powder gives a neutral matte finish with a silky feel.

I apply this powder over my moisturizer with either a kabuki or large powder brush. I love that I can build the coverage in areas where I need it. The finish looks and feels creamy and smooth plus does not emphasize any of my dry areas or enlarged pores. It gives a soft focus effect. Also, this product does make my skin itchy like powder mineral foundations do. This is a definite plus. Since this is a pressed powder it's perfect for travel too.

I'm really impressed by Balance-n-Brighten and this has now made it's way into my daily makeup basket.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by beautyfix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

As my partner said, makes my (dry) skin which has no apparent lines look much older and wrinkly, shows off every incipient flaw in the texture of my skin. I used porcelain which is an excellent colour match for my snow white skin, very unusually. This is, I would think, excellent for young fresh ultra smooth skin. I imagine spots and any bumps, lumps like lines are magnified by the very pretty lustre of this powder foundation. My partner looked at me with distaste whilst I tried this on so I would use it primarily when wanting to play old crones in pantomimes. This also made my very dry skin actually feel dry, taut and uncomfy so I could;t wait to wash it off and soothe my skin with lashings of moisturiser. I would try this if you are very young and have oily skin with a very smooth texture then I expect you'll love it as it's so foolproof and quick to apply and the lustre is lovely.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2013 4:34:00 AM More reviews by nicoline88

I cannot express how much I love this stuff! Most of the time my skin is too light to find a color that actually matched my tone, but this powder in porcelain was perfect! It covers up my red spots or the occasional blemish with no problem. Also I have very sensitive skin and this is the first foundation that hasn't made me break out. It is so light and looks natural, not cakey like other powders. Using a fluffy brush helps blend it in incredibly. Will continue to buy this for as long as Laura makes it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Elle02

I love this. I put it on over my moisturizer, and it DOES NOT CHANGE color. I have the medium, which I find very flattering and forgiving. I find it a neutral tone, balancing my sallow and red areas, and and sort of glazing over my flaws. Very pretty finish, and does not accentuate my wrinkles, etc. I use this, then put a little concealer where needed ( nyx hi def in medium). add my blush, lip etc , then lightly dust on my Femme Couture - Get A Glow- finishing powder (another thing I LOVE, from Sally beauty). Finish with UD All nighter. It is a very good look-clean, polished and soft, very pretty. I have used a TON of powder foundations. I am hyper critical, and I love it if my skin looks good, but I am really buying this stuff to make me look prettier, you know? And this does. I would strongly recommend giving this a try if you oxidize, need neutral shades, or love a Soft Focus finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2013 10:25:00 AM More reviews by childofthebarricade

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this in Porcelain, since my general skintone is "Casper". I was kicking around Ulta after having run out of foundation several days prior, and I explained to one of their makeup artists what I needed. My skin gets very dry very easily, to the point sometimes where I feel like I should be using dandruff shampoo on my face. (Sorry for the visual there.) I somehow also, in spots, have enough oil for the Beverly Hillbillies to drill and get rich on. On top of that, it seems that my doctors and I have finally figured out my overall medical problem, and it involves somewhat benign rashes that sometimes reach my face and look like rosacea.

So, I'm pretty much usually screwed when it comes to buying foundation, especially that of the drugstore type where there is no expert around and I cannot try it before I buy it.

I was very skeptical when the Ulta makeup artist told me she had just the thing and brought out a powder. Powders generally just make my drier skin look flakier and my oilier skin look like a pale version of some swamp in Dagobah, but, hey. She's a pro and the test is free, right? Whatever.

I was absolutely shocked to find that the powder disappeared into my skin (and I was having a BAD skin day), calmed the oil, smoothed over the Sahara areas, and completely covered the rosacea-like redness.

I was told to buy a good kabuki brush to apply with and that it was not only blendable but buildable (which I have found is definitely true), but that I could use latex wedges in a pinch. The product does not come with an applicator. I personally found the wedges with an occasional brush usage to make sure that it my oily skin doesn't make the surface get gross and coagulate to work just fine, as long as I toss the wedge I'm using weekly at the very most. The wedges, on bad skin days, seem to make building the makeup up easier and better.

Before the makeup artist started (she did one half of my face first to show the difference), she saw my skepticism, and told me that Geller's product was all she used, and that her makeup had been on without the need to freshen it since 8AM. It was now 3, on a nearly 3-digit, very swampy day. I found out myself very quickly that the powder's staying power is impressive.

She also told me that other bonuses were that, since it's not a liquid, traveling with it is easier. It also had a longer shelf life, 2 years, than other liquid foundation. I found that lnfo posted clearly on the back of the compact.

It ended up being about $35 with tax. For what I received, I would have paid more. My roommate thought I'd gotten conned, but I handed her the compact and a new wedge and told her to try it. 5 minutes later she was in shock and totally got why I'd spent that.

TL;DR: This stuff is amazing. I would never have expected such power, control, and staying power from a powder. I highly recommend it to anyone, no matter your skin problems or type. It's definitely worth the money.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by KatieGirl1014

I absolutely love this powder! I love that it is multi-tonal and that it feels light on the skin! I got it in a set that I bought at ULTA and have just recently started using almost daily. I usually like more of a medium to full coverage. I like to use this powder with a light tinted moisturizer or BB cream. I think it give just the perfect amount of coverage and almost gives an airbrushed look. My skin is normal so I am not sure how it will hold up on oily or dry skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2013 12:46:00 PM More reviews by apotter26

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

purchased this at qvc. I wish I kept shipping box so I can return this. I have tried everything to wear this foundation but I'm going to have to throw this out. it enhances my dry spots, fine lines, & pores. I have great skin & this product irritated my skin & it made me look older. I really wanted to love this but just didn't work for me. I'm on my next crusade finding a foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

I thought this might be the perfect powder foundation. I really did. I swatched the Fair and the Porcelain in Ulta, and bought the Fair as the Porcelain looked way too pale for my NC10-15 skin. However, the Fair oxidised on me and turned several shades darker to the point where SO was laughing at the dark edge of the powder and my natural skin color beyond. So then I bought the Porcelain which is a far better color but still too pale. This is also strangely metallic on my skin but that could be my application technique. So I am between the two colors which is highly irritating meaning that I have to apply a thin layer of Porcelain first then layer the Fair on top. This technique does actually prevent the powder from oxidizing. The powder texture is smooth and gives fairly good coverage. So far I have experienced no fading throughout the day (probably because I have that many layers of it on!) and it gives me a radiant-but-not-matte finish. Although it is not supposed to, I find that this does emphasize my fine lines around my eyes and makes me look a little too dry. Again, this could be due to the amount of powder I am layering. If this came in a shade between the Fair and the Porcelain then I might even consider this a very good powder (although not a very good powder foundation). But as such this is just too much effort to get a product to work for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by becktasm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'd been wanting to try this for a while, so when I saw it for cheap on Hautelook I snatched it up. I give it a resounding "meh". Kind of looked muddy until I blended it very well, which was a bit of a pain. Coverage was light to medium, which is fine if you're looking for that sort of thing, but not something I incorporate into my beauty routine very often. The lasting powder was also pretty unimpressive, and I found that my blushes and bronzers that normally wear 8-9 hours wore more like 5-6 over this. It also wiped away at the slightest touch- a half hour before I left work a coworker (and friend) said "What's wrong with your face? You're all splotchy!" It didn't break me out, and the brightening effect was actually pretty, but all around this was a big disappointment.

For reference, my routine with this was: Laura Gellar Spackle, Smashbox CC Cream, Kat Von D tattoo concealer, Laura Gellar Balance n Brighten, Benefit Hoola (contour), TheBalm Frat Boy, NARS Light Reflecting Loose Powder, Smashbox Soft Lights (tops of cheekbones), Urban Decay All Nighter

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2013 10:50:00 PM More reviews by bfresh0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like this powder but not as my main foundation. For me it is not enough coverage on its on. I use it over the top of my other powder or over a liquid foundation because I like the finish of it. It makes pores appeared smoothed out and doesn't cake up or settle into lines. Just gives a smoothed and soft focus look to my face. The color range isn't very good for that I took off one star. Porcelain is too light and pink and fair is slightly too dark. I am about nc15 to nc20 in mac ( which I don't use but most people are familiar with their colors) .