April 20, 2014 | 1637 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2013 10:13:00 AM More reviews by smittycar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I started using this when I got Shellac(ed), I don't do Shellac any longer (destroyed my nails) but I continued to use for my routine nail care. I bought a refillable Brush Pen on www.sage.com and filled it with Solar Oil to use on the go. It's an expensive product when you consider it cost about $12 an ounce on AMAZON, which I found was the cheapest price. When I buy the refillable pen and put my own Solar Oil in it the total cost with shipping average $5.50 a pen, Sally Hansen sells a pen at Ulta for $7, and Sephora sells the pen for $12 !! So you can see the cost savings and it's Solar Oil in MY PENS which is a great product and smells good also.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/15/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

What is it?
Jojoba & vegetable oil and perfume.

What does it do?

Claims are made that it will "hydrate and protect" your cuticles and "drive" nutrients deep within the nail bed.

yeah...the molecules are not small enough for that black magic F*ckery. There is only ONE oil that can do that: squalene.

Again, What is it?

Over priced vegetable oil.

What does it do?

Nothing.

Just use Vaseline and cotton gloves.
Or, go to your cupboard and slather on some olive oil. Much more effective in cost and results.
Stop falling for the hype.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by alh011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What a hidden treasure! My neighbour recommended this to me after noticing my cuticles were so dry and the skin around my nails was sore and bleeding at times (gross I know)!
The first two nights I slathered this on and wore cotton gloves to bed and they were much better the very next day. Now I apply it throughout the day. It sinks in quick, isn't too overpowering smell wise and is easily applied with the applicator brush.
I've heard it helps your nail polish dry quicker but I haven't tried that yet.
I've been using my bottle like crazy and the product doesn't seem to be disappearing so I think it's great value for money.
Hope this helps.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 2:40:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

How I wish I have know about this product much much earlier. It is almost like a miracle oil for my nails. I have toe nails that split in the middle and very brittle and flaky and after a couple of applications of solar oil, I have noticed that they have improved much. Hopefully, I will be able to grow longer toe nails. Huh, another thing it helps in drying up my
nail varnish instantly and now that pisses me off for wasting so much time in the past whenever I do my own manicure.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/5/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by ShellyB

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this nightly for the last week and a half. Absolutely no improvement in my cuticles or nails. I actually think they seem more dry than before. I also don't like using the brush/bottle application method, too messy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I bought this, like everyone, to make my cuticles less dry. For some reason, I don't like the applicator (brush on), I'd rather just use like lotion and rub into my hands like vitamin E oil. Also, I think this may even make my cuticles look worse :(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2012 12:09:00 PM More reviews by tomtyo

I was a nail biter for 40+ years and then a little over a year ago decided enough was enough. My nails at that point were almost non-existant, but slowly they grew back. I was searching the web to find info on if the nail beds were ever going to grow back when I stumbled upon Solar Oil. It was recommended on the sites I was reading so I bought a bottle and have used it at least twice daily since. My nails have completely grown back and I probably have 90% of the nailbed back, they may not get any better, but the value of keeping my cuticles in great condition and the nails strong is worth the effort. By the way, I work on cars, weld, and am generally rough on my hands. Have never had a mani or pedi and never expect to, not a metro by any stretch, this is just good stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 3:48:00 AM More reviews by smootsa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

i tried a sample size bottle of this cuticle oil and i loved it - plus it lasted for ages - so i invested in a larger bottle and use it every day and my cuticles - and manicures - have never looked better.

the oil seems reassuringly nourishing but light enough to soak in easily and has a lovely sweet almond smell.

a few times i've had nail polish peel off - especially the gel polish - and this is a great oil for restoring the shine to stripped nails.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 7:36:00 AM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have to admit, I got two mini bottles as a gift over the years, but used none of them.
I put them all in my bathroom closet and forgot about them.
Until recently, I decided to do more for my nails and hands, which I neglected a little bit.
I did some research and came across the famous solar oil. I read a lot of articles and many nail designers like Sophy Robson and make-up gurus like Lisa Eldridge use this. Basically everyone of them has one bottle of solar oil on the nightstand ;-).
So, I rambled through my bathroom closet and found the two little bottles of solar oil.
I started to use the oil on a regular base overnight (having it on my the nightstand:-)) and found my cuticles and nails looking very nice while using this.
The oil is a clear oil with a hint of marzipan smell, that comes in a nail polish bottle with a brush cap. It is a little bit runny and thin, so you can easily massage it in. My nails and cuticles soak it in a few minutes and look very polished and healthy afterwards.
I also use it after painting my nails or toenails to make the cuticles look really good. Because any high end nail polish is wasted when your cuticles look dry and chipped.
You have to use it on a regular base, thatīs what makes it so hard for me.
Some people complain about the price, but I got this as a present. I found out that one mini bottle costs 4 Euros and a large bottle 16 Euros.
Thatīs pretty much when you consider, that the basical ingredient is almond oil, mixed with jojoba oil, rice bran oil and vitamin e.
To be honest, I think that the mini bottle lasts quite long and I donīt need much of the oil. Some people mix a similar combination of oils together, but Iīm not a diy-type when it comes to cosmetics.
So, yes, I think I would buy a mini bottle again. I tried some drugstore nail oils, but they never really convinced me and I got back to solar oil.
I recommend it, if youīre willing and able to pay the price.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2012 11:01:00 PM More reviews by rburney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I apply this with the cuticle eraser before bed and at least once during the day. My cuticles look great. When I dont have the $ to treat myself I just use a teensy bit of Glytone body lotion and whatever lightweight oil I have.