LUSH Henna - Caca Noir

3.8

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Well I had really high hopes for this product. I was looking forward to twirling in the fields and only ever using natural products to color my hair for the rest of my life. Bummer.
So I used this product according to a few reviews mixed with the directions on the label. I left it in for around 4 hours. My natural hair color is pretty light blonde (with a few grays, at 28...kill me) and my hair has been colored medium brown. My roots were showing through a bit and this did NOTHING to them. Not a single thing. I know I applied the product correctly and even if I didn't leave it on long enough it should have done SOMETHING to my roots. The rest of my hair is a deep brown (that's actually kind of nice, albeit slightly boring (but it says it darkens with time). I would have given this product a much better review if it colored my roots, but alas, it appears only chemicals can cover this Scandinavian blonde hair.
I had no problems with it otherwise. The smell was nice, it wasn't that messy, it was easy to apply, I had no trouble washing it out and it didn't even stain my tub. I just really wish I could love this, but those blonde roots are killing me. Also, it didn't really make my hair feel any better or look any shinier than when I use conventional hair color. Guess it's back to Natural Instincts.

ttp://img.makeupalley.com/1/9/8/5/2376367.JPG

Full Size Image

I have been toying with using henna to dye my hair for many moons now. So after much prayer and fasting(LOL), I finally worked up enough nerve to try LUSH Caca Noir Mama. The Caca Noir makes the hair black because Indigo as well as other ingredients like coco butter are mixed in this thick henna bar. I wanted my hair super duper black. so after doing a lot of research I decided to put in Indigo immediately after applying my Lush Henna Caca Noir Mama bar. This step ensures that I would get the blackest color possible.

BOTTOM LINE: The process is messy as all get out and a definite pain. But...my hair came out a shiny black stallion black. Since I went natural I have only used "natural" dye on my hair a few times. I never liked the black color that I achieve plus I was always suspicious of the "natural" ingredients.
My color came out similar to when I used to put black gloss color on my hair many years ago.
My hair feels healthier and stronger, looks silkier and appears light-reflecting radiant!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

**Edit: I uploaded the before after picture with short wavy hair, outside**

I stopped dying my hair over two years ago once I realized it was falling out! I still had the occasional urge to darken my hair, though, as I think chocolate brown suits me better.... but I refrained from doing so because of the horrible image I had of clumps of hair falling out in the shower. *ahh!* It was then I decided to stop putting those horrible chemicals in my hair once and for all.

I began looking up alternative methods that were natural and safe for dying your hair. I found out about henna, but really wasn't up to buying my own mixes and experimenting with something so permanent. Do I use more indigo than henna or visa versa? Do i cover my head or not? How long? How often, etc etc.

So fast forward to about two months ago I found out about LUSH's Caca colors. (Lol @ silly name) Holy crap this stuff is perfect for those out there looking to change up your color in a chemical free manner! Beware though: patience and getting your hands dirty (or wear gloves) is required.

I give this product a 4 because it's exactly what I was looking for: a prepackaged henna/indigo hair dying product. However, it is expensive (but then again, with my short hair it'll last me a solid 3 dyes, so I basically pay 8$ per dye) and because I don't understand why they dont just package it already grated. The packaging itself is eco-friendly and minimal. I uploaded a before and after picture for everyone. (I have the short, wavy hair).

Here's my process for getting a dark chocolate brown hair with neutral undertones:

Prepping:
1. First, wear gloves!!! and if you are messy, cover the counters with paper/foil/whatever. Actually, even if you're not messy... cover everything anyway.
2. Using large hair clips, split hair into a few sections.
3. Apply Vaseline around forehead/ears/back of neck to stop Caca from staining your skin.
4. Brew 1-2 cups of BOLD, black coffee.
5. Grate 2 blocks (1/3 of the bar) of Caca NOIR & 1 Block (1/6th) of Caca BRUN with a cheese grater into a large glass bowl.
6. Mix the fresh cup of coffe into the finely grated Caca, stir until a pasty, yogurt consistency is met.

Application:
1. Wearing gloves I dip my fingers into the Caca yogurt (which smell very herbal, looks like poo) and apply to the lower/bottom part of my hair first. Make sure you massage the goop into all of your hair (working from the bottom, up). Don't be conservative here. Keep adding the Caca until your whole head is covered.
3. I then wrap in saran wrap and wrap in tin foil on top of that (to keep my head warm) and leave on for 4 HOURS.

Rinsing:
Honestly, this is the most tedious part, if you have a removable shower head be prepared to use that for a solid 10 minutes of just RINSING. Then add conditioner, rinse, conditioner, rinse, shampoo, rinse, shampoo rinse. If you don't, I think someone recommended using a hose outside- that's probably a good idea.

My hair felt thicker after I was done, but I cant comment on the softness... my hair is already soft, plus the amount of conditioner I used during the rinsing process probably had something to do with it.

Anyway, good luck! I think if you dont mind the time, and you want a natural, safe alternative to harsh chemical hair dyes, this is the stuff for you!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This is a great product. I arrived at this product as I was looking for a dark brown/black colour without the chemicals associated with allergies as I am prone to skin related allergies.

The colour itself is a lovely dark, rich black with some blue undertones but without that inky fake look that black hair dyes normally give. It looks totally natural on me. Leave it uncovered to develop the dark tones, cover with film to develop the warmer red tones.

On the negative side, the rich dark colour fades quickly on my fine, wavy hair. I'd say it lasts about 8 weeks at most. My natural colour is a rich, very dark brown but has red undertones in the light which I want to cancel out. I only have a few greys so I can't really say how well it covers. I'm still giving a 5 because there isn't another product on the UK market that can rival this, at least, as far as I'm aware.

Follow the directions on the website exactly, there is no need to grate the product, it just needs boiling water and to be left to stand before you mix it. Set aside an evening, and, yes, it's messy.

I LOVED this product. Especially because I *assumed* I was using a healthy alternative to drugstore hair dye.

That was until I discovered these 2 websites:

www.goodguide.com

It turns out LUSH Caca Hennas are rated pretty much just as BAD for your health as most of the drugstore hair dyes!!

(See for yourself! Just search and compare on the websites.)

So LUSH must have some undisclosed, chemicals or ingredients hidden inside :(

It figures... Because no where on the package do they claim Caca is 100% natural.

So be warned... If you are going to use this product strictly to be more health conscience, you are better off buying henna powder and doing it that way because THIS IS NOT CHEMICAL FREE!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Caca Noir has left my hair (naturally black - albeit color treated to take out the browns/reds), feeling soft and healthy. Yes I would buy it again. Strangely enough, even though my hair is straight, it has left my hair looking like i've flatironed it. Weird! The downside is the actually process, wait time and the SMELL. UGH, it's horrible in my opinion. Smelt like rotten weed honestly, with a dash of herbs that made my stomach churn. But I did put up with it. I put it in longer than the 2 hours. I was planning to leave it for 6 hours, but it was already 10pm and I didn't want to wait too long to wash it out. (Which took a while because there were chunks of henna everywhere)

Please note that it is MESSY, and you should all your equipments/tools around you. Also, you should know that once you henna your hair you shouldn't dye it with any chemical hair dyes because it will NOT react well. Take that into consideration if you like having different colors that cannot be achieved by henna (using bleach, etc)

Other than that, I kind of enjoyed the whole process, just wish it was easier.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I have virgin weave which I love, and wanted to dye it darker to match my leave out. I know how damaging drugstore dyes can be so henna was the only way. I used caca noir. I hennaed my weave when it was taken out so i could leave it on some foil to dry. It took a while for all the henna bits to come out. i would suggest to anyone who is using henna, rinse your hair with plain water a couple of times, then use shampoo so your not wasting shampoo. I also used salt to help
develop the indigo so it would make it darker (a colour 1B)

This henna has cocoa butter in it, which adds moisture to the hair. when my hairdresser can round to do my hair she said 'is that new hair?' and I said no, its the same hair just henned!...she couldnt believe how shinny it was, and believe me it was shinny soft, THICK and beautiful. i have put my weave in again, and didnt henna it....it looks a little dull, and cant wait to henna it again.

if you have remy hair, henna wont work, as the cuticle has been sealed, but any virgin hair will work

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Us Caca users do realize caca means poop and Lush dose too. They have said before on there website and on there product directions that they did this for comedy. They know it looks like poo when u put it on your head.

2nd. It goes in your hair. (It is a natural henna and coco butter hair dye product) Not on your face like u put in your short review.

I have about 20% gray hair that I have been dying with PPD based chemicals. However when I got involved in photography, I learned that these PPD are the same thing that is used to develop color film. Which freaked me out.

As, I have recently quit smoking I decided to try to eliminate as many toxins from my life as possible so I colored my hair with this.

I used 2 blocks for my thinning medium length hair. I poured some boiling water over the cut up blocks and they melted pretty easily. I added a dash of salt to help the indigo and mixed it to a batter-like consistency.

The smell didn't bother me, but I am a fan of natural scents. I left the henna mix on unwrapped for more blue tones for about 4 and a half hours.

Washing it off, I used a bunch of cheap conditioner to get the color out and shampooed a little bit.

When I dried my hair, it was bouncy, full of volume and a dark chesnut brown color. I can only hope it gets darker. But my grays are mostly colored and the texture of my hair is AMAZING. Like shiny and full.

I would give it a try if I were you.

The fresher the henna, the better the effect. As packaging is very poor, use product on day of purchase if you want to achieve the best possible results.
Messy application, leave in and washing off (very messy washing off), yet the best hair conditioner I have come across. It thickens the hair, leaving it with a very distinctive, spicy scent and a shiny lustrous look.
If your hair is wavy, it would affect the waves and make the hair straighter. For grey hair coverage, I could do with a better coverage and not having to dye my hair every 2-3 weeks. On the other hand, the more often you apply it the blackest the result will be. It also tackles another aging-related hair condition such as the progressive thinning. The henna molecules "stick" to the hair closing its pores and adding weight and thickness to the hair. Moreover, if bought from a reputable source -as Lush claims to do- it is a product relatively free of impurities. You can rest assured that this is the less aggressive coloring you can subject your hair to. The rest of the "natural" hair coloring products in the market (ie. Naturtin, Aveda), have sulfates and other components required for the colour to arise that are damaging your hair just as much as other over the counter products.
Brilliant results, yet it requires discipline and patience in order to stick to a fortnightly messy colouring. Will keep on repurchasing and reusing.

The name, by the way, means sh*** in more than 3 languages, it shows a supine ignorance and the dumbest lack of cultural awareness from the brand. Being marketed in a multicultural city such as London it just makes them look plain retarded.

Top Rated LUSH Products