LUSH Henna - Caca Noir

3.8

on 9/24/2012 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This is a great product. I arrived at this product as I was looking for a dark brown/black colour without the chemicals associated with allergies as I am prone to skin related allergies.

The colour itself is a lovely dark, rich black with some blue undertones but without that inky fake look that black hair dyes normally give. It looks totally natural on me. Leave it uncovered to develop the dark tones, cover with film to develop the warmer red tones.

On the negative side, the rich dark colour fades quickly on my fine, wavy hair. I'd say it lasts about 8 weeks at most. My natural colour is a rich, very dark brown but has red undertones in the light which I want to cancel out. I only have a few greys so I can't really say how well it covers. I'm still giving a 5 because there isn't another product on the UK market that can rival this, at least, as far as I'm aware.

Follow the directions on the website exactly, there is no need to grate the product, it just needs boiling water and to be left to stand before you mix it. Set aside an evening, and, yes, it's messy.

I LOVED this product. Especially because I *assumed* I was using a healthy alternative to drugstore hair dye.

That was until I discovered these 2 websites:

www.goodguide.com

It turns out LUSH Caca Hennas are rated pretty much just as BAD for your health as most of the drugstore hair dyes!!

(See for yourself! Just search and compare on the websites.)

So LUSH must have some undisclosed, chemicals or ingredients hidden inside :(

It figures... Because no where on the package do they claim Caca is 100% natural.

So be warned... If you are going to use this product strictly to be more health conscience, you are better off buying henna powder and doing it that way because THIS IS NOT CHEMICAL FREE!

on 5/28/2012 2:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Caca Noir has left my hair (naturally black - albeit color treated to take out the browns/reds), feeling soft and healthy. Yes I would buy it again. Strangely enough, even though my hair is straight, it has left my hair looking like i've flatironed it. Weird! The downside is the actually process, wait time and the SMELL. UGH, it's horrible in my opinion. Smelt like rotten weed honestly, with a dash of herbs that made my stomach churn. But I did put up with it. I put it in longer than the 2 hours. I was planning to leave it for 6 hours, but it was already 10pm and I didn't want to wait too long to wash it out. (Which took a while because there were chunks of henna everywhere)

Please note that it is MESSY, and you should all your equipments/tools around you. Also, you should know that once you henna your hair you shouldn't dye it with any chemical hair dyes because it will NOT react well. Take that into consideration if you like having different colors that cannot be achieved by henna (using bleach, etc)

Other than that, I kind of enjoyed the whole process, just wish it was easier.

on 4/15/2012 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I have virgin weave which I love, and wanted to dye it darker to match my leave out. I know how damaging drugstore dyes can be so henna was the only way. I used caca noir. I hennaed my weave when it was taken out so i could leave it on some foil to dry. It took a while for all the henna bits to come out. i would suggest to anyone who is using henna, rinse your hair with plain water a couple of times, then use shampoo so your not wasting shampoo. I also used salt to help
develop the indigo so it would make it darker (a colour 1B)

This henna has cocoa butter in it, which adds moisture to the hair. when my hairdresser can round to do my hair she said 'is that new hair?' and I said no, its the same hair just henned!...she couldnt believe how shinny it was, and believe me it was shinny soft, THICK and beautiful. i have put my weave in again, and didnt henna it....it looks a little dull, and cant wait to henna it again.

if you have remy hair, henna wont work, as the cuticle has been sealed, but any virgin hair will work

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Us Caca users do realize caca means poop and Lush dose too. They have said before on there website and on there product directions that they did this for comedy. They know it looks like poo when u put it on your head.

2nd. It goes in your hair. (It is a natural henna and coco butter hair dye product) Not on your face like u put in your short review.

on 1/14/2012 4:15:00 PM

I have about 20% gray hair that I have been dying with PPD based chemicals. However when I got involved in photography, I learned that these PPD are the same thing that is used to develop color film. Which freaked me out.

As, I have recently quit smoking I decided to try to eliminate as many toxins from my life as possible so I colored my hair with this.

I used 2 blocks for my thinning medium length hair. I poured some boiling water over the cut up blocks and they melted pretty easily. I added a dash of salt to help the indigo and mixed it to a batter-like consistency.

The smell didn't bother me, but I am a fan of natural scents. I left the henna mix on unwrapped for more blue tones for about 4 and a half hours.

Washing it off, I used a bunch of cheap conditioner to get the color out and shampooed a little bit.

When I dried my hair, it was bouncy, full of volume and a dark chesnut brown color. I can only hope it gets darker. But my grays are mostly colored and the texture of my hair is AMAZING. Like shiny and full.

I would give it a try if I were you.

on 1/8/2012 5:15:00 PM

The fresher the henna, the better the effect. As packaging is very poor, use product on day of purchase if you want to achieve the best possible results.
Messy application, leave in and washing off (very messy washing off), yet the best hair conditioner I have come across. It thickens the hair, leaving it with a very distinctive, spicy scent and a shiny lustrous look.
If your hair is wavy, it would affect the waves and make the hair straighter. For grey hair coverage, I could do with a better coverage and not having to dye my hair every 2-3 weeks. On the other hand, the more often you apply it the blackest the result will be. It also tackles another aging-related hair condition such as the progressive thinning. The henna molecules "stick" to the hair closing its pores and adding weight and thickness to the hair. Moreover, if bought from a reputable source -as Lush claims to do- it is a product relatively free of impurities. You can rest assured that this is the less aggressive coloring you can subject your hair to. The rest of the "natural" hair coloring products in the market (ie. Naturtin, Aveda), have sulfates and other components required for the colour to arise that are damaging your hair just as much as other over the counter products.
Brilliant results, yet it requires discipline and patience in order to stick to a fortnightly messy colouring. Will keep on repurchasing and reusing.

The name, by the way, means sh*** in more than 3 languages, it shows a supine ignorance and the dumbest lack of cultural awareness from the brand. Being marketed in a multicultural city such as London it just makes them look plain retarded.

on 12/19/2011 6:37:00 AM

I've had dramas with my scalp for over a year now. Probably from using a macadamia hair product, but I digress. So I haven't been able to color my hair due to harsh chemicals in normal hair dyes. After some research, I decided to try Lush's Caca Noir. I would recommend:

1. Grating the product
2. Using disposable shower caps, doubled
3. Leaving the product as long as the neck and the nose can handle it
4. Using a damp dark wash cloth to wipe products off the hairline and exposed skin
5. Kneeling down (on a dark towel) over the shower with newspapers on the shower floor, placing the Caca bowl on the newspaper covered floor (easier workflow, neater), shower cap all in reach. Since I had to start at the back, I tipped my head forwards over the newspaper area, working gradually from the back to the front of my head. Hope this makes sense.

Other than this, I followed Lush's instruction~ boiling water to dissolve the product to unwhipped double cream consistency, three blocks for slightly longer than shoulder length hair.

Heard that others had migraine, which is unfortunate, but I think that's possible from the weight on the head or the strong smell. I personally had to wash off the product after four hours (was aiming for five) as the smell was overpowering and I had issues with migraine so I thought I'd better not risk it.

After four hours, I rinsed the product off with warm water. First, I just let the "cement" melt without scrubbing my hair, once it loosened I washed as normal. My hair felt gluey afterwards so I used Lush's Squeaky Green solid shampoo to help clean my hair better. This shampoo is kind on colored hair and my hair felt cleaner with one wash. No conditioner.

The color was not as strong as I had hoped (Asian thick black hair) ~ no blue tints, but slightly reddish undertones. The ends of my hair were not super moisturized, and the "yellowish" tint from a year old dye hasn't darkened as completely I had hoped. I used a little Morrocan oil to help with conditioning the ends of my hair. I also had to spray a little perfume so as to mask the strong odor, which I didn't quite like.

The rest of my hair seems more relaxed and softer.

I will give it two or three days to see if the color darkens further, then will recolor as necessary. I have a few strands of silver hair, and per other reviews, the result was hit and miss... Some darkened with dark red and *one* silvery one left ~ but thankfully it's not obvious.

Still, am glad I found a natural alternative to harsh boxed products which I won't ever use again.

Summary: Caca noir is good for treatment and dyeing for sensitive scalps.

Day 2 update: hair has darkened from the initial reddish tint yesterday. Also softer. <3

Day 3 update: ends of my hair darkened more so very little "yellow" undertone left. Bluish tint on the crown noticable in white light. Happy!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I loved this product. As it's also a conditioning treatment as well as a hair dye, this made my hair incredibly soft and shiny. The first time I used this, it didn't make my hair go as dark as I wanted, so I used it again a week or so later and my hair went a maroon so dark that it was almost black, if that makes sense. My hair was originally a bright red. I was so happy with the results that I recommended to a friend, she used caca brun with great results, her hair looked shinier than it ever had.

Price: I did not consider this to be expensive. It's $31NZD for 325g (six blocks). I only used two blocks (well, four blocks if you count my second time :) on my above shoulderlength hair, and the SA told me it would wash out in 2-3months.
Packaging quality: As always, environmentally friendly. I chose a block and the SA wrapped it in paper for me.

All in all, this was a great product. I loved that I could slap it on, wrap it up and run off and do something else. I went for a bike ride with this in my hair. :)
Would I buy it again? Absolutely.

on 10/8/2011 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

This was my first Lush henna product. I have used lots of different "cheap" henna concoctions before - mostly made at home stuff with Indian store henna powder, eucalyptus, clove, coffee and cocoa butter. Henna is an amazing conditioner, scalp rejuvenating agent and antifungal which is why I used it, but I was never too big a fan of the red colour.

I have "black" hair (I'm Indian) that tends to skew brownish and reddish already and I never really wanted to go more red or brown cause that's what my hair looks like when its damaged! After perming it a few times in a row and being outside in the sun all summer, my hair was starting to look super gross/lifeless and really faded out brown.

I bought the Lush Caca Noir because I couldn't find indigo in a store and thought I'd try it.

Process: I used 2 bricks for my thick, above the shoulder hair. Heated up water in a kettle, poured some over the bricks and let it sit, broke them down with a fork until brownie batter/yogurt consistency. Didn't add salt or vinegar or anything. Just water.
Didn't use gloves (should have..fingers now blue..) just sectioned my hair and applied it with my hands..tried to work it into my roots. Put my hair up/stuck it to my head and let it air dry for 2 hours. Wrapped it in up in saran and then a Lush knot-wrap for 4 more hours.

Cons: This stuff is MESSY. MESSY MESSY MESSY!! I am a super hippie and also really good at cleaning up after myself and I'm still a bit defeated by the mess. Rinsing took FOREVER and still kept coming up with gritty bits near my scalp - what is that?! Maybe its the coffee in the mix. Left a bluish greasy ring on the tub that came out with some ivory soap and scrubbing with a scrubber.
Also, super hard to mix. Don't follow their instructions - grate it in a cheese grater and add warm-ish, not boiling water. Way easier than breaking it down by hand/with a spoon.

Pros: Just rinsed out then henna and my hair is still wet.. but beautiful! My colour is like never before.. a super deep black that is still glossy and lovely!! No more gross brownish/dull reddish black.. I haven't noticed a blue sheen yet, but definitely a cool black with some dark dark red glints.

Bottom line: I would buy this again - it was sort of pricey, but for $20 I get three uses out of it.. Despite the mess, the results are worth it!!

Top Rated LUSH Products