July 29, 2014 | 2098 users online

Treatments (Face) - Neutrogena - Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2013 11:53:00 PM More reviews by Jaclynamber

Love this stuff! Cream absorbs nicely , and you only need a pearl sized amount to do the job , plus a teeny bit extra because I put it on my neck too . Leaves my skin smooth and glowing , and keeps the fine lines in check ! I'm on my fourth tube !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2013 11:12:00 PM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

A CLASSIC.
This stuff has been around for ages and still remains the best Neutrogena has to offer, despite their "advanced" range with endless retinol products. THIS is their true powerhouse.

It has a fragrance-free light cream texture that can work well for oily skin. Anyway, you should apply only a pearl-sized amount. Drier skin types should go ahead and use a more moisturizing cream over this, and definitively a rich moisturizer during the daytime. My skin is combination and this works surprising well over a gel based product like the DDF Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer Moisturizing Serum. I always wear sunscreen during the daytime.

If you want to try a retinol product this is the place to start. Not that you really need to leave, unless you want to move on to the 'prescription side'. The formula is quite effective. It's true that it causes sensitivity in some people, but isn't that a good thing? It shows that there's enough retinol in there, and it remains stable with time. You need to start slow and apply the minimum. And be careful.. If you apply too much, the adverse effects will be felt after 2-3 days. It will be impossible to go back. Be patient, be slow, and experiment. Once you find your dose, you're on your way to skin that's firmer and visibly healthier.

Contrary to popular belief, this product does not contain less retinol than any of the products in the Ageless Intensives line. In fact, judging from the position of retinol in the formula it contains more than most, and probably more than the best. I do not think that Neutrogena would release a product with a higher concentration of retinol since this is already enough irritating. Who would want more than this? Packaging wise, the metallic tube is superior to pumps or all those plastic tubes that tend to expand and suck air inside.

Overall, the greatest improvement will be noticed in skin tone. For hyperpigmentation you should consider HYDROQUINONE, and for fine lines also 10% L-ASCORBIC ACID. Don't forget to exfoliate - BHAs and AHAs, but be gentle. Daily sunscreen is a must.

40ml tube, about 14.50 USD. 17.50 CAD at Walmart. For retinol you don't really need to spend more, and chances are it won't even be as effective. RoC, SkinCeuticals, Murad.. So many options out there but I am not willing to replace this. A complete skincare regimen includes many different products. Not to mention applying the recommended amount and repurchasing regularly. Johnson&Johnson have certainly done their homework, and know how to compete in the market with a product that is cost effective.

You do not need to be above a certain age to start using this product. Retinol is actually the name of the entire vitamin A molecule. A small amount converts into Retinoic Acid and increases cell turnover. But as it is, it provides additional benefits and is also a powerful antioxidant. It would be excellent to start using in the early 20s to prevent future signs of aging.

It might not be as fast and effective on wrinkles as a RETINOID, but it is less irritating and has its own additional benefits. Moreover, it has very similar outcomes in the long run. In a way, it's like a lower than prescription strength retionoid that does additional things and can be used safely around the eyes. Moreover, retinol can also be applied during daytime because it remains stable even with exposure to daylight, especially under a sunscreen, and even more so when accompanied by other antioxidants. Let's not forget that the texture of this cream is much better and contains a large amount of green tea. The formula of a retinoid in comparison is basic, coarse, and stripped down.

Now it's up to you to choose one.

-------------------
By the way, prescription Retin-A is produced by Janssen, a large pharmaceutcal company owned by Johnson&Johnson which also happens to own Neutrogena.

30 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2013 5:24:00 PM More reviews by tashadenise

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product for an off label reason. I was told that it would shrink my pores (idiot). It did nothing for my pores and I don't have a problem with wrinkles, however it did wonders for my skin complexion. Its great if you want to even out your skin tone! My complexion is slightly more radiant, as well.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2013 3:58:00 PM More reviews by sbahlibi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this line from Neutrogena. It contains a small amount of Retinol, which will improve the appearance and texture of aging skin if used long term. It's also fragrance free, non comedogenic, hypoallergenic and oil free, all of my favorite skin care terms. I suggest using a lighter moisturizer by day with a higher SPF (Like this Cetaphil) and wearing the cream at night. General rule of thumb, if you're not yet 30, don't tan excessivly and don't see any signs of skin aging, stick to lightweight moisturizer with SPF and an eye cream, no anti-aging products needed.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by karamelsutra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this moisturizer. I've already bought a back up that's how much I love it. I'm not fond of the metal? packaging, but the benefits of this cream trumps that. I use this every morning and night after cleansing. What I love most about it is I tend to have an oily T-zone and this does not contribute to it. Finding the most appropriate lotion for my skin has been a struggle and I may have found my HG. I get a lot of forehead breakouts and this has not caused any additional breakouts because it does not contribute to the overproduction of sebum.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 1:06:00 AM More reviews by anabanj

I love this stuff! Makes my face really clear.
**QUESTION**
Is it bad if i put it around/near my eye area? (I'm careful not to get it IN my eyes). That's where I have the most wrinkles so I like putting it there. I never get any dryness or sore/red/itchy eyes or anything, no reaction

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 10:01:00 PM More reviews by BulkyDecorativeClock

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have combination-dry (emphasis on dry) skin that tends to hormonal eruptions and generally looking dull/having a poor cell turnover rate. This product takes care of all that, plus I like the anti-aging benefits.

The key for me with this product is to apply only a pea-sized amount (or a thin layer) to my face after cleansing at night & to use a good broad-spectrum sunscreen every day. In my experience, this product is fantastic in delivering results (smoothing fine lines, refining pores, etc.). Plus, it makes you feel thrifty when you start comparing to similar products on the market. Well, maybe that's just me. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by ElleDuncan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is for the Original Formula, no spf, which is now called Night.

EDIT MARCH 2013
I'd originally not liked this thinking it was giving me white heads. Then I tried it again. So here's me thoughts most recently:
I came back to this after I ran out of the other, the Rapid one.
And frankly, I am liking it better than before. i think my clogged pores were more just diet, lack of sleep, whatnot. I am on day five now and think this is just fine. MY skin in the morning is particularly happy with it. It really looks better.

I was using the Rapid Wrinkle Repair (much different formula, with retinol waaay at the end of the list) with good results, including mild flaking and redness here and there that went away and is sign of things working. Then it just kind of plateaued and began to make my skin look dehydrated and not much more going on with skin tone.
I tried the one with vit c and it made my skin red/orange. That happened to me before, and it's odd, but people even commented on my orange/red skin that week!

Then I thought, on Paula's Choice rec I'd try this one because she claims it has a more effective order of ingredients. I had mixed feelings at first but now realize it's all in the application:

on a slightly moist face, spritzed with thermal water or damp from a damp wash cloth padded on skin after cleansing - put a very small amount and smooth in gently, patting into the skin in gentle taps. About ten minutes later, i apply my LIse Watier Sun Smart spf 30 non chemical primer/sunscreen lotion (a mix of the tinted and plain white so it doesn't look so white). Then it's a bit of concealer, powder to seal, and that's it. BUT I find I need to do a quick once over tissue blot about an hour later and then it's good all day.

I also use this at night and wait about two hours before applying my gentle BP lotion over it. I know that a BP should cancel out an antioxidant formula in THEORY. but I do this nightly and it seems to be doing good things for my skin. I think the retinoal and vit e/c all sink in and then the BP goes to work a little later. I'd never mix them at the exact same time.
EDIT on the BP: I am currently alternating nights where I BP over the Retinol, waiting a long time, and sometimes no BP to give it a rest and let the retinol really do its magic. All you acne sufferers out there: try this. it's doing a good job, cheap, too.

A note re sunscreen version: I've read that chemical sunscreens mixed with retinols is actually WORSE for your skin for both UV damage and wrinkles, etc. So that is why I always opt for no sunscreen. THen I can control the non-chemical titanium dioxide etc sunscreens I use over top when I want to use one.
The one you want is called Night. It's not heavy, it's just called night now, used to be called Original.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2013 1:20:00 PM More reviews by m331

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've gone through two tubes of this product, but it's a "like" not a "love." It does make skin smoother and I think it's a good introduction to wrinkle creams, it's just very subtle. I'll look for a more sophisticated formula next time, maybe with BHA or AHA.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by missdana

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

All these years I never was a Neutrogena fan. Olay products were my first choice to use. Last year I decided to try something different and I saw this Neutrogena box set with a cleanser, eye cream and this Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream. I have never been so impressed with what it did for my skin! All in all it makes me look brighter and younger - I'm 42 and my untouched pictures tells it all ;)