January 30, 2015 | 1542 users online

Eye Shadow - Cover Girl - Eye Enhancers Trio - Shimmering Sands

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by katautumn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have a ton of shadows, but Shimmering Sands is one of those trios that I can slap on haphazardly if I'm in a rush and don't have time to perfect a smokey eye and it will still look good. Some have reviewed that it is a lot of frost, but little pigmentation and that is true. This isn't a super pigmented palette. It is, however, very pretty and the colors are classic Cover Girl eyeshadow from my youth. Colors that go with just about anything you're wearing. Colors that are safe and you can screw up the application and they'll still look alright.

I have found that even though the first pass isn't very pigmented, with the darkest brown you can use a really good angled crease brush and sweep that into the crease to the outer lid corner and it looks really nice. When applied over an eyeshadow primer it lasts for quite some time without the colors getting muddied together, which is nice.

Okay, so it's kind of a boring trio. I'll give it that. Compared to an Urbay Decay or even a Wet 'n Wild trio it's a total snooze fest, but it's good basic trio. It would really be perfect for someone who is new to wearing makeup and wants a fool proof shadow palette that applies easily and the level of frost sort of covers any application mistakes.

All in all this is one of those must-have trios to keep in your collection, even if it's just for those days you don't have enough time to put a lot of time and energy into applying shadow.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by tealeafy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Short version : I was expecting a light 'n gauzy wash of shimmery nude colour on my lid, and I got unpigmented fros-ti-ness. Disappointing stuff.

Longer version : although my most trustworthy makeup items are higher end products (Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, Nars), I am no makeup snob (YSL eyeshadows, Guerlain terracotta, to name a few, were big flops as far as I am concerned) and I am partial to drugstore gems (such as Prestige eyeliners or Wet 'n Wild blushers). After all, it's all marketing, innit?
I tried this trio because of the great reviews here, and because the colours in the pan reminded me of my all time favourite palette Nude on Nude by Bobbi Brown (which I had to throw away because it was about to go walkies after almost 10 years... ahem).

That shimmering sands thing is not good value, considering I swatched the shades once on my eyelids, and decided to put the palette away somewhere and forget about it forever (even though I'll remember it was 8 Canadian dollars down the drain). It is just frost : white frost, ever so slightly peachier frost, and ever so slightly browner frost (the latter goes on patchy on my eyelid).
Again, disappointing stuff. But at least, I didn't pay a huge amount of money for it. This experience killed my Wet 'n Wild lemmings there and then, and I promptly went out to purchase some Inglot shades which I'm quite satisfied with.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 7:05:00 PM More reviews by Anselfan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this in high school and came back to using it again in my mid-thirties. A few more years after wearing it consistently, it is--by far--my favorite eyeshadow brand and set of shades. It lasts all day, and I have even received compliments from men when I wear it. It is a great value! I will cry if CG ever discontinues it or changes the formula.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by crobertson01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Great neutral palette. Wonderful for an every day look. My only wish would be for the lightest shade and the medium shade to be a little more pigmented. I have to build quite a few layers for a more dramatic look. Probably can't be beat for the price, though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2013 3:56:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I think this is a great cheap neutrals trio. I am cool toned and find it difficult to pull off most browns, and this is light enough that it looks beautiful. It seems to be more cool-neutral toned instead of the usual warm toned browns or neutrals I run into.
The colors are not super pigmented, but they are nice. The price is very nice for what they are. It gives a very natural look without being garish or obvious. WNW trios that are similar like Walking on Eggshells, etc are more pigmented, but this is mistake proof IMO. I use this when I am not feeling very good, and am not sure I will be precise. The colors just go on more natural and blend very easily. I don't worry about how much pigment I picked up and might have to remove it.
Very natural everyday trio that has the no-makeup look but you look put together.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by postmoderngirl

I wanted this for quite a while, and finally bought it when it was on sale. I didn't think I'd be able to do a whole look with this because each shadow is shimmery - but I was wrong. Even though the darker brown is shimmery, it still works to define the crease. My favourite shade is the highlight, it really brightens up my eyes. This palette is now what I reach for when I want to look put together but don't want to have to think about it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2013 5:02:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie11786

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I believe that Every woman should have this trio in their makeup kit. They are beautiful neutral shades that compliment most skin tones with a pretty flush of shimmer that can be worn daily. Don't let the shimmer part scare you. Its on the neutral side so your not gonna look like a disco ball. I have always been a big time eye-shadow junkie since high school and have quite a collection..but this one will always be in my makeup bag for sure!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2013 8:40:00 PM More reviews by lolicious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Don't believe the hype, if you want this to show up, you'll have to pack it on and even then it's sheer. These eyeshadows have very little pigmentation! I was so disappointed. WetnWild trios have phenomenal pigmentation and cost almost half as these $2.99 vs $5.79 Seriously, don't waste your money on this crap!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 2:58:00 PM More reviews by asianpandaloves

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Best. Trio. Ever. I had to go to several different stores just to find this because this was the only shade that was sold out! I find all shades good for all over the lid and it's great for natural looks. They are indeed shimmery (hence the name) and don't look good all together. The pigmentation is amazing, lasting power's awesome, and everyone needs this NOW! I wish some girls in my school would have this because they wear too much glittery, bright blue and green eyeshadows. They don't fade on me and last the long 8 hours of treacherous school. The top is a bit flimsy but hey, the product inside is what counts. :D

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2013 10:34:00 PM More reviews by Girlybunny13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really love this trio it's girly and natural it's perfect for middle school but the packaging is really ugly