August 20, 2014 | 1111 users online

Body Scrubs - LUSH - You Snap the Whip Body Butter

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2012 1:28:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm relatively new to LUSH products (always wanted to try 'em, finally got the chance), so I'm still trying to figure out what will work for me and what won't. Thus far, I've only found one product I really like (out of about ten I have purchased) and am beginning to wonder what all the fuss about LUSH products are.

I bought this because I have super dry skin and I need a good exfoliater. I tried LUSH's Buffy recently and I love, love, love that so I thought another body butter would be fun to try as well. Unfortunately, I don't think You Snap the Whip is what I'm looking for.

Like nearly every other reviewer here, I'm disappointed by the fact that this bar melts so quickly. I've used this once and nearly half of it is gone. For the price, it should last more than a few uses. I'm also not crazy about the amount of black residue/staining this leaves in the shower. I spent more time trying to rinse black streaks of mess off my shower walls and shower curtain than I spent taking a shower.

As for performance, I'm not terribly impressed. You Snap the Whip is definitely a so-so scrub. Because of the quick melting aspect, I couldn't spend time on my problem areas which makes the product pointless. Others have raved about the scent, but I don't find it all that delightful. The scent is supposedly comparable to LUSH's Silky Underwear which is another product that I find to be so-so - despite the rave reviews. I also didn't find You Snap the Whip to be all that moisturizing. In fact, my skin felt exactly the same as it does when I use a regular body wash bought at Wal-Mart for half the price.

I won't purchase this again because I think this product is terribly overpriced, melts far too fast after one (!) use, is not all that moisturizing, and basically just a huge pain to use.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2012 8:53:00 PM More reviews by lostintheshadow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Meh, decent exfoliating power, didn't make my shower as black as I thought it would based on the other reviews here. Smelt better in the store, but like blackcurrant when I used it at home; too fruity for my taste. I've used it twice on about half of my body each time, and I doubt I will get more than two more uses out of it. So expensive for what little use you get. Melts VERY quickly, making it quite stressful to use what you need and then put it somewhere dry before it disappears. Turns jelly-like in hot weather (I'm lucky I wasn't left with a puddle of goo), so it seems you need to keep it in the fridge like the massage bars. It's marketed as a body butter, and I thought you were meant to use those as after shower/bath body moisturizers. But this one is a purple-streak-leaving scrub for use in the shower? Sigh, I don't know.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2011 3:32:00 AM More reviews by claireyb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this scrub. Smells lovely, scrubs very well and leaves my skin feeling quite moisturised. I don't purchase this all the time as it a little expensive for me as it only lasts me about 3-4 whole body scrubs but when I know I've got a special night coming up or something where I'll be showing some skin, I head to straight to lush to get this baby. I will say though that it makes a bit of a mess but I generally only use this in the shower and it all goes straight down the drain anyway so thats not really an issue. Will definitely purchase again as needed.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2011 11:52:00 PM More reviews by tastycactuar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I absolutely hated this product, and to be honest, it's only for one reason. The lack of packaging and Lush's earth-friendly vibe are great, it actually does moisturize the skin, and the price doesn't suck, but here's what does: the fact that after I use this body butter, it looks like someone turned my bathtub into the bottom of a grill pit. Black residue EVERYWHERE, and you have to really scrub to get it off. I've only used this body butter twice, and I never will again - I'm throwing the rest of it out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by ShiverWithAntici

I truly enjoyed using this product. I like that it's dark and really shows up on your skin because it allows you to see exactly where and how much you've applied. Plus, you feel like you're painting yourself, which is fun. I also love the way it feels on my skin during and after use. It exfoliates really well but not harshly, and leaves my skin feeling surprisingly soft.

The smell is interesting. To me, it smells of root beer with a splash of cherry soda. I do like it a lot, but I'm not sure why people rave about it. It's also muted by the mineral smell of the charcoal and pumice, which is actually rather soothing to me. It does linger throughout the day, but the smell that lingers is vaguely reminiscent of those scratch and sniff stickers from my childhood. Again, not bad, but nothing to write home about either.

I would say my only real complaint about this product is that it doesn't last long. The first time around, I applied it all over my body, and at least 1/4 of it was gone. I so wish that LUSH could find a way to make this last longer, charge less for it, or both. Until then, I'm saving this product for special occasions.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2011 2:09:00 AM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Why does this product have such meh reviews? It is one of my absolute favorite products EVER. First off, it smells divine. The first few times I used it I had to keep smelling myself. (The scent is similar to LUSH's Comforter products, but a little heavier on the black currant.) It exfoliates really well and leaves my skin feeling super-dreamy. The only negative (which isn't really a negative) is that it melts rather easily if you leave it in the shower. I cut mine into little cubes (single-serve pieces, basically) to get the most life out of it. If LUSH ever discontinues this I will cry for days.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2011 10:37:00 PM More reviews by smileybiker

This is my fav butter body bar. I used to like the other ones but got fed up of the greasy feel they left. This one is not greasy. It smells like the comforter bubble bar. I chopped this up into little pieces and just took a bit at a time into the shower. It lasted ages. The particles were not too big either and very fine which meant nice exfloiation without being too abrassive.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2011 6:31:00 AM More reviews by belleringer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

ive literally just jumped out of the shower to review YSTW. it is honestly one of my fave lush products out!! gave a good scrub and didnt rip the skin from my bones off and is absolutely moisturised smooth and nomnomnom ^.^ i used it on my whole body after popping out of the shower ,air drying for a couple seconds and let rip. this is by far my favourite lush scent ever!! i wish theyd make it into a soap or gel or smoothie or something else more daily usable!! (the closest being sweetie pie). i paid $20NZ and it definitely is steep in price (esp since i used half of it in one hit! yikes!!) but i would buy it again in the future as one of those little treats in life... and attempt to learn how to use not so much of the flippn' thing :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2011 7:28:00 PM More reviews by wws1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

ETA: My skin broke out terribly recently and while I'm not convinced it was this product that did it, I don't think it helped.

I've been using this product for two weeks as a facial cleanser and I love it! I have oily, acne-prone skin and decided to try this to remove my makeup on a whim. The combination of charcoal and pumice not only took off every trace of makeup but also left my skin smooth, glowy, and soft. I was worried that the nut oil and cocoa butter would clog my pores, but so far, so good! I was actually going through a breakout phase when I started using this and haven't broken out since. Maybe it's the charcoal?

I usually wet my skin, then rub the bar over my face. Then I use my fingers to gently scrub my skin in circles and rinse off. I'm left with perfectly smooth, clear skin.

I don't go for fruity scents and am not enamored by this one. It smells like sheesha/hookah tobacco to me...BUT my boyfriend loves it and for the results I'm getting, I'll overlook the scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2011 11:05:00 AM More reviews by myfacewithin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this product. I know that people's main complaints were the [1] it leaves your tub black and [2] it melts too quickly. I read about these issues before I bought it, so I honestly walked into LUSH planning on NOT buying it. Then I smelled it. It's different than other scents at LUSH. It's a berry, vanilla, sweet scent. I was expecting a strong, licorice type scent, probably based on its color, but I was so wrong. This is one of my favorite scents of all time.

Before I used it, I made sure to come up with solutions to possible complaints. First, I usually smooth this over my legs after I shave for a non-greasy, moisturizing base for either lotion during the day, or a massage bar at night. The way I do this is to lift my leg out of the water, let it dry for a second or two, pick up the DRY bar with a DRY hand, and quickly rub it over my leg. You don't have to spend forever rubbing this on your legs, just swipe it over and you'll be good.

I tried doing what some others did and simply cutting off a piece, but I hated it. The small chunk was too hard to hold, and once I realized that it will last quite a while if you don't pick it up with a wet hand, I just ended up using the whole thing.

In regards to the issue of it turning your tub black, I figured out a solution to that, too. Since I use it in the tub after a bath, I simply rinse off my legs in the bath water, then let the tub drain while I put on lotion or use a massage bar. After it drains, you will see little black granules in your tub. I turn on the shower as hot as it will go, let it run for a minute or two, and the black is all gone.

All in all, I will definitely buy this product again. I love the scent, I love how it just rinses out of my tub, I love how moisturizing it is for my skin, and I can also make it last for quite a while. I've used it about 8 times, and it's only about 60% (or less) gone.