July 28, 2014 | 1714 users online

Highlighters - Guerlain - Les Meteorites balls powder

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been on a weird Meteorites kick lately. I bought the Perles D'Azur shade last year (for which I wrote a review) and I really do like it. In fact, it's one of the few products I don't skip putting on even if I'm being super lazy. A few weeks back, I started reading up on them again and found that Guerlain releases a limited edition tin every year. Like the sucker that I am, I tracked down three of the "rare" ones in different shades and bought them. I now have a better understanding of why some people adore these and why some people find them utterly useless. Finding the right shade that will compliment you is paramount otherwise these are no better than the millions of other highlighters/brighteners out there.

I'm biracial and my skin is tan/olive. For whatever reason, the Perles D'Azur shade works very, very well with my skin. It doesn't make me look oddly white (despite having huge white and blue (!) powder balls in it) nor does it make me look fake tannish. It really just compliments my skin even in the sunlight (you will see small flecks of glitter but most people just assume you're glowy unless they get all up in your face). The three shades I recently bought were Du Dragon, the 26th Anniversary tin called "Light is in the Air" (which is seemingly just the regular Teint Rose shade in a white box and festive white tin) and the Perles du Paradis. I also have a travel size shade of Beige Chic and a full size tin of Teint Beige. Of all the shades, Perles D'Azur and Du Dragon work the best. Teint Rose is nice enough but I think it would definitely look better on someone with pink undertones or fairer skin. Teint Beige also works well and is not nearly as dark as the Beige Chic shade. If you have yellow undertones or have tan/olive skin, the Teint Beige is your best bet if you want to start off with something "safe". The Perles du Paradis shade is, in my opinion, a total waste because it's just one big container of glitter with a cute but very cheap pink powder puff. (The full name includes the words "illuminating" and "sparkling" so it's not a huge surprise that this shade is glittery beyond all belief). It also comes in the somewhat flimsy and not very sturdy cardboard container instead of the standard metal. Since I don't plan on wearing it, that's not too big a deal but I can't imagine the cardboard would stand up to daily use or being left in a steamy bathroom. The one shade I thought would work - Beige Chic - actually makes me look terrible because it's a little too brown. Since it's travel size, I'm not too broken up about it.

Now for the real effects you'll see - Meteorites will not change your face. It's not going to erase your fine lines, reduce the size of your pores, cover up a zit or make you look well rested if you're not. If you're blessed with very good skin, this will likely make you look amazing. If you're like me and your skin is less than perfect, there will be a subtle yet noticeable effect but it certainly won't cover any discolorations or imperfections. I think in order for this product to work well, you have to have a good foundation or just be blessed with amazing skin. Despite the fact that I have brown skin, my face tends to run on the sallow side because I avoid the sun because I freckle easily. In my case, Meteorites help to amp up my skin so I don't look like a corpse. I can't speak about its setting abilities because I don't wear powder as my face dry and powder makes me look ashy but I'd venture a guess that this probably isn't the world's greatest setting powder. Some of the more realistic reviews get it right - if you're wearing the right shade, you will have what appears to be a lit from within glow. If you're looking for something a bit more noticeable, you'll likely be disappointed with this product.

As I said in my last review, I don't think Meteorites is one of those must have products. I'm very glad I have them because when they work, they're great. They make you feel more polished plus they're pretty much the epitome of luxury but there are comparable highlighters out there that do the same thing. If you're going to plop down $60+ for it, I highly suggest you try the travel sizes first (these can be found on eBay for $20-30, sometimes less if you're lucky) because there's something wacky about these shades. The ones you think will look amazing fall flat and the scary ones with odd colors that you aren't used to seeing in powders may very well make you look amazing. I know the price tag does scare some people but one tin will last for years and years. I've had the Perles D'Azur shade for almost a year and it looks the same as it did when I first got it. This is a good investment but make sure you find a shade that flatters your skin and invest in a good brush for application. I'd advise not buying the Meteorites brush that Guerlain sells because it's rather cheap and scratchy. Play around with different brushes and see what works for you. This is important because if you have a bad brush, it will take you an eternity to apply this and you'll likely end up flicking a few little talc balls out of the container. I've chased many a Meteorites around my bathroom like a loon until I finally found a brush that picks up product quickly and doesn't require me to stand there swirling for an hour.

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2013 8:56:00 AM More reviews by theleia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This was one of those dream items that I read countless reviews about. All users said it gave a barely discernible difference, yet they loved it. With such mystery surrounding the Meteorites Effect, I had to have it too.

But it's true. What the little balls of luxury do for the face is barely discernible, yet somehow better.

I wouldn't call it a highlighter as it actually mattifies and blurs pores the way a translucent powder would. It is not as shimmery as a highlighter. Yet it has a very soft glow that a mattifying powder cannot give. It is not as brassy a glow as the kind given by mineral powders, and it has no skintone tint that covers imperfections. It simply adds a soft veil over your makeup.

Having imperfect skin, I find it best to use a separate loose powder to set my foundation first, and then use the Meteorites on the forehead, around the eyes and on the chin. Using the meteorites alone over foundation is not enough for me.

But at the end of the day, if I were to be very honest, there is no magic. The biggest draw of the meteorites for me? The packaging and the smell.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 6:43:00 AM More reviews by mia000

This product is my current favorite. A definite luxury product- Incredibly expensive but it looks gorgeous on my dresser and smells incredible. Its a lovely way to complete my makeup ritual and its just the perfect finishing touch. It is subtle- gives a soft smooth shimmer as if your skin was subtly photoshopped. I use it as a finishing powder on the areas of my skin that need highlighting- forehead, nose, cheeks. I have slightly tanned asian skin and use #1.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2013 2:48:00 PM More reviews by DarkMia1

Well I don't know ....At first this seem wonderful products,it's expensive,but trust me,one package will be for MANY MANY MANY years,it's never ends...but for a result...hmm..it is better highlighter's in a market for sure.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 9:48:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Guerlain Meteorites are an iconic luxury cosmetic. If you're new to the idea, it's colored little talc beads in a little container, which is usually very pretty. Smells flowery, like violets. Looks sheer when applied and somewhat sparkly.

I've drunk the Kool-Aid. Yes, I am one of the growing group of MUAers who love Meteorites and swear up and down that we CAN SO see a difference and it's gorgeous and you can pry that tin or cardboard box out of our cold dead hands. It took a while. At first I was like, "It's sparkly talc ballz, whomp whomp." And it is. And for some of you, that is all it'll be. Pretty, iconic talc ballz in a luxe container. But some of you, like me, will start to notice a difference. On the days I don't wear Meteorites, I miss them. They are the finishing touch that gives my pasty dry skin that wow factor. In most Meteorite editions, I can see glass-fleck like irregular sparkle from up close, but from a foot or two away or any further than that, it just reads as a glow.

PROS-- lasting finishing powder; good for dry skins; gorgeous packaging; lasts forEVER; the exact effect is honestly really hard to dupe (I think the closest I have come has been Chanel Poudre Douce and maybe Physicians Formula Happy Booster in Translucent very lightly applied--both have the satin finish paired with irregular sparkle but it seems a bit less refined.)

CONS-- a splurge for most; not a miracle worker--if you're looking for actual voodoo, you may be disappointed; really not a great shade range... I feel that those with richer skintones may find many of the Meteorites options too pale and ashy; if you are offended by fragrance (like violets), glitter, or talc, pass; and, with all the multitude of special editions, some are just going to be really great (Dragonballz!) and some will just suck...ballz (Blanc de Perle!).

And yet I love it anyway. I love it because I rarely wear foundation, preferring instead to invest in products that address subtle textural imperfections while preserving the crystalline translucency of bare skin. Many Meteorites do a great job of this, smoothing out my skin and making it look soft and non-matte. I recommend, but be aware that it may not be for you, so try before you buy if you can.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by evildoctorporkchop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

these meteorites are a uniquely packaged product, but not that unique of a product, all things considered. i like the concept. i've grown to like the feminine, violet scent that disappears after application. i think they do the job as advertised; not as a highlighter, but definitely as a setting powder. however, there are plenty of other finishing powders that will get the job done all the same.

the main draw here is that it's beautiful: the packaging, the pastel-colored balls of soft powder, and in the case of the perles du paradis, which is the version i own, the fluffy, pink bow puff that's just simply too exquisite to pass up. i'm not bothered by the cardboard. i think it's a lovely homage to the boudoir powder boxes of the 1930s. all in all, it's definitely a luxury item, not a necessity...as i buy my second box of ballz...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2013 5:48:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I purchased my first "balls" in Teint Rose. The packaging and smell are lovely. I do enjoy the "diffused airbrush" look that this setting powder / highlighter gives. However, while this is a unique product that does deserve 5 stars, I don't find it HG or a "can't live without" item.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 3:41:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

I can safely say that I regret getting it. I have it in Teint Dore 03, the ones that look like Reese Puffs, which is what the salesgirl recommended to me though i was gravitating towards Teint Beige 02. I am about NC25-30, sometimes darker. Anyway, this is beautifully packaged, beautifully scented, beautiful idea. Once when I was applying this my hubs walked by and remarked "That looks really cool. Like something rich noblewomen in ancient Rome would have. Or a queen." That's exactly why i love using it. It's the packaging and the whole concept that makes it worth the price. You just feel great finishing your makeup with it.
Good things: lasting power is awesome. Light dusting in AM is still present at night. Mattifies the skin, and if you don't over apply, it has a nice, soft-focus effect. Yet it also looks like I'm sweating glitter, if that makes sense. The colour i have definitely leaves a bronzed glow, but not in a good way. It's rather greyish/greenish cast, than just a healthy bronze look. As though I'm depleted of essential vitamins or deprived of fresh air. In fact, whenever I use this, I have people asking me whether I'm feeling okay as "your skin looks a bit dull...did you get a good night's sleep?" and similar comments. I have also been advised not to use "whatever you're using these days" because it's giving my complexion a dull/grey/dirty look. I get comments like this EVERY single time--and trust me, without makeup, my skin is nigh flawless, aside from a bit of light acne scarring. Like the reviewer below, I look better without this powder, than with.
Speaking for myself only. I actually used it on my mom once. It made her skin look radiant. So 4
stars for her, 1 star on myself. Even it out to 3 stars overall.
I really wanted to love this. I've bought into the whole luxurious concept so much that I still do. That's what Guerlain's great at--even if a product is mediocre, there is the aura of luxury surrounding it that still redeems it to the buyer. "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the consumer" applies in this case. Recommended for the fantasy, not for any actual cosmetic benefits. For an all-over glow, I'd recommend LORAC perfectly lit oil-free powder, applied with a large brush.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by glamglamglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I LOVELOVELOVE this. Okay, that seems a little dramatic, but I really do. I went to Sephora as well as the Guerlain counter, and they kept trying to match me to #2, but I thought #3 would match me better since I'm tanner in the summer (this was around June that I went). I was right, duh.
I really love the finish these things give. It's absolutely amazing! I use my Dior Hydra Life BB cream (another HG product worth trying out!) and this on top, along with a little of my Dior Healthy Glow Enhancing Bronzer/Blush thingy in Sunset (yet another HG. I don't work for Dior, I swear!).
I have super sensitive skin, and it can be combination. I use Retin A, so for a few hours my skin can be very dry, but then it can get very oily (especially the dreaded T-zone). This really helps set my BB cream and honestly I can get away with this, and like a spritz or two of my Urban Dceay Setting Spray, and have it last through a whole summer day. And I am definitely one of those people who touches up/reapplies numerous times throughout the day, so this is a lifesaver.

Now, the one major CON:
The goddamn balls go flying everywhere, and it feels like a waste of my money. I think this was around $60, which is a little expensive for a setting powder. I really wanted a compact version, but that was a special edition one that they don't have in stores right now.
Beware, the compact version of this is not very similar to this! I tried both, and much preferred the loose balls version. It was much more illuminating and glowy.

By the way, I use my Sephora Airbrush Foundation brush #55 to apply this, which is PERFECTION for picking up this product. I refused to buy Guerlain's brush.Why should I when I have the #55 which I can use for my BB cream, Meteorites, and Blush/Bronzer all at the same time?

Honestly, just try this out. It won't kill you to test it out at the store. Give it like 15 minutes or so to truly see a difference, you might not get a WOW factor. But for those looking for a subtle and fresh glow, this is a really good product which blurs pores and imperfections. I mean, don't expect coverage, but it has a little something extra; much better than the other setting powders out there.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2012 5:02:00 AM More reviews by luxlover79

PRICE - I got different variants of these for very cheap price online, but its original price ($58 at Sephora right now) is indeed expensive for what it does. Though I have to justify the price for its longevity coz it can last for years and you'll realize that it's worth the $$$$. My oily skin doesn't make me reach nor buy illuminating products a lot, so I don't know if there's a cheaper alternative that gives the same "glow". So far, this is the best, classiest and priciest powder in my stash when I like the glowing look.

PACKAGING - Guerlain produces classy packagings that gives "elite type of feeling" which leads to believeing that their stuff are "a must". An exact dupe of this in cheaper looking form won't give you the same luxurious feeling that a Guerlain container does. I admit that I have to have it just because...

OVERALL RATING - Not a miracle product, but very good to use when taking pictures or simply when attending an event where you have to look glowing at your best. I can consider this as my HG illuminating powder. Like I said, I'm not a fan of glowing face everyday but these balls do their job when I need them. Revlon Photoready came to my mind upon using Meteorites, the subtle shimmery effect are similar. I have to try using them together to see if I'll achieve the J.LO GLOW or I'll simply look like a shimmer ball, ha ha! If you're one of the people who gave bad reviews for Photoready, but then you happen to love Meteorites, then you know you're after the Guerlain name :) But hey, it's not bad to indulge sometimes on things which make us feel good right? :)