September 18, 2014 | 1999 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2012 5:45:00 PM More reviews by PeachFuzzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Randomly bought this. I know, I know. I should have started using sunscreen early on in my life ( especially living in LA) but I didn't and now I do. This stuff is pretty good. It's my first facial sunscreen and it hasn't caused any breakouts which is plus. I bought the smaller size for $19 at sephora and it will last me awhile. I use a small amount for each area of my face. Doesn't seem t cause any extra oil or grease ( i'm very oily). Overall, good buy!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2012 2:57:00 AM More reviews by princess101

I am IN LOVE with this sunscreen. I Canada this version is available as SPF 50 PA+++. I do own and use both, and can't tell the difference between the two forumlations.

This is a wonderful sunscreen and provides excellent coverage without the shiny finish. I usually apply this on top of a moisturizer, as I find this can be drying when worn alone for a full 8-10 hour day, as it is waterproof. Most waterproof or longlasting formulations I have encountered are drying on my combo/oily skin.

The cream is a thick consistency, but not so thick that it can't be blended. It initially leaves behind a white cast and does look shiny, but after 2 minutes of drying, it is completely matte and the white cast disappears. I have no problems applying foundations on top of this. One gripe is that it does require a heavy duty oil cleanser to remove, but I use Bioderma Sebium H2O and it does the job and then some. A plus with this is that it does act as a good primer for daily makeup. I would recommend this to others and prefer sunscreens that are separate from my makeup. A thing to note is that this contains both physical sunblock and chemical sunscreen so people with sensitive skin may want to stay away.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by liteenie

Based on reviews here, I was confident that this would just disappear into my skin. Unfortunately, this leaves a white layer on my face that slowly starts to fade but still is evident the whole day. I'm not going to return it though, the white layer I can live with when I'm going to be hiking or snowboarding. The finish feels nice and even though it's a "cream", it doesn't feel heavy on my face. Won't be using this for a daily SS, going to try Shiseido Senka for days I don't want a tinted SS like my favorite Dr. Denese Defense Day Cream. I remove this with baby oil before I wash my face with cleanser.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2011 6:04:00 PM More reviews by Blubird23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I hate to admit it, but I don't wear sunscreen every day. I have not been able to find ONE sunscreen that does not break me out. I had high hopes for this one because it's easy to find at Sephora, Nordstom, etc., a little pricier than I'd prefer (but still much cheaper than paying for procedures to get rid of sun damage in the future.) Other advantages are no -benzones, partly physical and it has good protection. I am usually good about patch testing but I got excited and slathered this all over my face as soon as I got a sample. I thought the finish was okay (although someone told me I was missing my usual glow,) it felt a little heavy on but tolerable and it wasn't too whitening. Unfortunately it only took about two uses and I got a horrible cystic breakout that lasted over a month (my skin was mostly clear before that.) When my skin cleared, I patch tested on my forehead again just to be sure and I got a cyst on my temple where I never normally break out. My search continues, I would definitely recommend this sunscreen to someone with less crazy skin though, everyone's skin tolerates different things, and I would be wearing this if I could!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2011 5:42:00 PM More reviews by SexyLittleMe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've tried many sunscreens over the years, most have left me wanting something better, something....just, more. I want a sunblock that protects, but won't break me out, doesn't make my eyes itchy, and isn't greasy. Everything has failed in one area or another. My last HG was the Walgreens brand 2 for $5.00 tubes. No breakouts or irritation, and good protection, but it makes my skin look like I work at a Jiffy Lube. I'd look really shiny, rough, and unrefined, foundation and powder helped a bit, but I never looked perfect. With this, I look perfect. It is not greasy, even after hours & hours. It has a white cast, but that is ok, because I super pale anyway. It does not pill, even if I add a little extra around my eyes. I do add a light layer of loose powder, and t-zone/under eye primer, it is the perfect base for makeup, but I think I could go without powder if I decided to. SPF 55 PA+++ is currently for sale at Sephora, so I hope it isn't discontinued. Will repurchase, despite the cost. If it is being discontinued, I will give Shiseido's other sunscreens a shot, because I'm so pleased with this one.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2011 6:35:00 AM More reviews by francisfahey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.494%, Zinc Oxide 13.95%, Titanium Dioxide 1.5%

I have to admit that I bought it simply because this version was being discontinued and also because it was used on Robert Pattinson during the shooting of Twilight according to Makeup411.com.

Big mistake!

I do not get what all the hype is about. If you happen to live in Asia and are surrounded by numerous Japanese sunscreens that are 100000000000 times more cosmetically elegant than this greasy sunscreen cream than you wouldn't even have glanced at it in the first place.

1) SHISEIDO's best-selling Asian exclusive sunscreen line ANESSA has some of the best sunscreens on the market, even surpassing the much overrated Sofina which does not provide adequate enough protection.
    2) KOSE has a fabulous line called RESOA which contains 19.88% Zinc Oxide yet still dries 100% transparent. I can put 3 layers on in the morning and it is still undetectable. Now THAT is what I call sunscreen technology.
    3) KANEBO has its own ALLIE line that shares the same patent from the Kao Group as Sofina's, but the protection ALLIE offers is far superior to Sofina's.

There you go, the 3 major Japanese brands with their own sunscreen lines that are selling like hot cakes here in Asia. I have used sunscreens from all over the world including those nasty glue-like high PPD European ones. And all I can say is the Asian sunscreen technology/market/awareness are light years ahead of its western counterpart.

Sorry folks but American sunscreens are total BS though. I always cringe at the thought of having to purchase sunscreens imported from the USA, because they are almost always pure chemical which is basically like setting fire to one's face and contributing to further melasma. Luckily I don't have to given the variety of options I have. America is the land of plenty but certainly lacking in the sunscreen department. One of my favorite quotes from someone on this topic is "What are you gonna do? Wait for the FDA to get real?"

38 out of 49 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2011 3:10:00 PM More reviews by akern9k

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After a lot of research and review-reading I went with this sunscreen. It's super-pricey and I wish that they would give you more for the price, but I plan to repurchase it because it seems to work really well.

This sunscreen has a very creamy, yet simultaneously dry, texture. I'm rating it highly and plan on repurchasing for mostly one reason: this stuff STAYS PUT. It feels a tiny bit heavy and occlusive, but if you're at the beach, in the water, out walking or hiking, sweating a ton, or engaged in anything else that's strenuous outdoors, I think this has to be one of your best bets. I sweat a lot, and have gone surfing with this on, and it goes nowhere until about 3 hours (which is when you should reapply anyways). I'm VERY pale and fair and have never gotten even the tiniest bit pink wearing this. Also, I have skin that is very combination, and also sensitive (pore problems in T-zone, not outright acne but I tend towards lots of little blackheads and cloggy milia), and this doesn't seem to exacerbate any of that. I'm wary of applying moisturizer under this as I always err on the side of less product than more for my combo skin, but then again in the situations I'm using this (outdoors, water, sweat, etc), I'm not really after using a nice moisturizer since I'll be washing up really well at the end of the day anyways.

For daytime regular use, I think it can be a bit much. I was hunting around and trying to find something better suited for just daily casual sun exposure that didn't require oils to remove, and ended up choosing the Shiseido Urban Environments one (which I've also reviewed).

This is pricey, and heavy, but you can't expect something that provides such a high level of super heavy-duty waterproof protection to just totally sink into your skin and disappear, I feel. It's the price I pay for really good protection, and I think it's worth it. Also, the UVA on this is good, another reason I purchased. I don't wear it under makeup often, but it seems to work well, since it stays put like glue and almost, almost acts like kind of a mattifying primer.

For anyone who has to be outside for several hours a day, going on vacation in the sun, doing watersports, or just super outdoorsy sporty folks, I think this is a good bet.

If I ever visit Europe I'd like to look into some of the mexoryl LRP ss's, but until that happens, I'll be going with this since it's accessible, and does the job.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2011 8:38:00 PM More reviews by annacay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like that this product does just what it says it will. It keeps skin matte in any condition - middle of July, mid-workout, everything, acts as a good primer for makeup and won't sweat off.. And it hydrates and balances my combination skin. It is difficult to take off, though.
    Edit- clogged my pores a little, so take off two lipsticks.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2011 8:15:00 PM More reviews by angelinuh

I love this sunscreen because it is gentle on the skin, doesn't take much to blend, and has a pleasant scent. Most importantly I know it does a great job at keeping my skin protected and it doesn't burn or sting my eyes. I love that it is so easy to apply and isn't too runny.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2011 10:38:00 PM More reviews by Lalunia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best stuff ever. Keeps my makeup (MAC SFF) in place, makes my skin look less greasy, doesn't break out my acne prone skin and protects my sun sensitive and pale skin. I usually stock up during Sephora's fall sale and a package lasts me about 3 months. My TJ Maxx had a bunch for 18 bucks recently.