April 16, 2014 | 1621 users online

Cleansers - Shiseido - Ultimate Cleansing Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 4:21:00 AM More reviews by Sambrookd

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've used a few oil-based cleansers before trying this one - Shu Uemura and Origins are the ones we all recognise. The Origins one is good, but not great. The Shu Uemura is good but expensive.
The Shiseido one seems to be the best of both worlds. The smell is light and fresh, the texture is more fluid than the Origins, and seems to get deeper into the skin. It melts my favourite bullet-proof Korean BB cream away like nothing else. Long wear mascara is no trouble for it either.
It comes off easily enough with a little water, I massage the lotion it makes to really give my skin a treatment.
My usually oily skin is still oily, but less so, and the nasty dry patches on my cheeks haven't reappeared and pores are less visible. I need less brightening products and masks with this, as my skin doesn't get that dullness we're all familiar with anymore.
Its very economical, I use two pumps a day, and I think it'll last a year (there's approx 20% left and I've been using it 9-10 months already). I do use a wash-off cleanser in the shower; this one is reserved exclusively for getting make-up off. Unlike some girls, I don't double-cleanse, my skin is squeaky clean and moisturised and doesn't need it.
I'd recommend it without hesitation

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2012 11:54:00 PM More reviews by teeheehee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For me, all cleansing oils work the same. I don't have a problem with breaking out, so I use Shiseidos, Fancl & DHC interchangeably. The reasons that I like this one a bit more than the others though is because 1) I can get it locally & dont have to buy it online, 2) It has a nice pleasant smell (DHCs stinks), The one con i can think about is the pump. it sprays everywhere. Also, Its more expensive than other oils. Overall though, this is a nice cleansing oil that gets the job done.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2012 11:36:00 AM More reviews by FrankieLane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Instant change in my complexion! I have been battling super sensitive, oily and acne prone skin for the last 2 years.. The meds prescribed by the derms were always way too harsh and seemed to make everything worse..
This calmed my skin down immediately and now after 2 weeks my pores are clean and my face no longer oily AND i break out less.
I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 12:27:00 AM More reviews by katlj

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used Origins oily cleanser until I had an ugly bout with Perioral Dermatitis. If you've had it, you know that you have to be very careful what you use or it can re-flare. I couldn't use the Origins anymore, so with a broken heart, I picked of a (EXPENSIVE) bottle of Shiseido's.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this product! I only need one pump and it takes everything off - including my gel eyeliner, sunscreen and waterproof mascara. I massage the oil on to my dry face for a couple of minutes, add some water to emulsify it (it turns white) then massage a minute more, rinse well, then follow with a foaming cleanser.

I can't believe I like this better than my (formerly) beloved Origins. I enjoy the light feel of the oil and find the smell rather nice. My skin has become redness-prone since the POD and this doesn't irritate it. My skin is very clear as well. I bought my bottle 6 months ago and still have 1/3 bottle left - as I mentioned, I only need one pump to remove everything except stage make-up; then I use two. It's been a great investment!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2012 1:13:00 AM More reviews by blua

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

**UPDATE**
I'm a little weary of the mineral oil found in this. I'm guilty for not checking the ingredient list. But it seems to be okay, if I start acting up I'll stop using it. It still performs great though.

Haven't totally read the entire ingredient list, but so far I really like it. Removes my foundation (MAC, Estee Lauder, Stila & Shiseido are the ones i've removed with this) and it works great. It doesn't remove eyeliner (especially gel) as easily as I'd hope it would (along with mascara) but it does an okay job. It's not too heavily perfumed, just a light clean scent and is great in facial massage at night. Will probably purchase. Oh, and it hasn't broken me out! The only con is that it's kind of expensive and I could probably make a DIY homemade version on buy an alternative that works as well.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2012 8:33:00 AM More reviews by ilovelomos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm on the fence with this one. I like it a lot, but I am not completely satisfied if you know what I mean. Maybe I just have high standards for an oil cleanser, but there's something about this that just doesn't satisfy me.
If you're new to cleansing oils, this is a good place to start, because this product has non-occlusive ingredients. Apply this on a dry face, rub it around gently, and rinse off. Double cleanse after. I think this is a must. Asian women prioritize double-cleansing, and they usually have good skin.
If you're using a budge-proof sunscreen from Shiseido, use this in conjunction with it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by LisandBobbie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the first cleansing oil that I have ever tried. I have combination skin that is acne-prone and I wear water-resistant sunscreen everyday. I noticed my skin starting to get a lot of blemishes, and I believe it is because I was not properly removing my sunscreen each night. I tried this cleanser last night and LOVED it! My face felt soft,not at all oily and all traces of makeup were removed. So far, really impressed and will update once I have used it for a week or so longer. Also, like another reviewer stated, the downside of the bottle is that you can't see how much product is left in it. But, the bottle is a nice pearly white color and has a clean appearance.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2012 11:59:00 AM More reviews by michellemonkey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So I'm new to trying the whole double cleansing method. I've always worn lots of foundation etc and kept a decent skin care routine but lately I've been suffering breakouts and oiliness.

After shopping about for a bit I decided on the Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil. I shan't lie, I think it is quite expensive for a mineral oil but I think it's worth it. I've been using it for a week now to remove my makeup at night before cleansing and my skin have calmed down a lot! I use 2 pumps for my whole face. Massage it all over for a minute (eyes last, as I don't want to smear mascara everywhere) wash off and follow with my usual cleanser/toner/moisturiser

It doesn't leave horrible residue on the skin, smells quite pleasant but not overpowering and gets off all of my makeup, even my super-stubborn mascara!

The lockable pump on the bottle keeps everything clean and tidy. The only downside is that, like most oils, it can be a bit messy to use but it's to be expected I think

I'll carry on using and rebuying this unless I have any big flare ups. My skin is fair, can be quite combo, sometimes normal (depending on it's mood) and this oil seems to have balanced it a lot

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2011 4:51:00 PM More reviews by edgexofxdesire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the first time I've used an oil cleanser, so I don't know how this compares to others. Just based on the performance over the last few weeks, I think this product is heavenly. I didn't have a lot of faith that this could remove all of my makeup (including waterproof shadow, eyeliner and mascara) but it's amazing what this cleansing oil is capable of. After the first use I knew I was never going back to my two-step eye makeup remover and wipes ever again. My face feels so clean and fresh after I use this. It hasn't broken me out, and I think it's even helped to prevent breakouts (because I haven't had even a sign of any in weeks)! It's not an acne control product by any means, but the fact that it removes absolutely every speck of makeup is what helps keep breakouts at bay. You'd be surprised how much better this is at removing makeup compared to any other technique. Two pumps (three if I'm all waterproof that day) massaged into my face, then over my eyes, rinsed with lukewarm water...I could probably get away with using ONLY this as a cleanser. But I follow up with my Philosophy Purity Made Simple (with my Olay ProX Brush) and my skin has never felt better. New HG evening skincare routine right here and it all starts with the Shiseido Cleansing Oil. I don't know how I lived without this before; I'm just glad I no longer have to.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 4:02:00 AM More reviews by furafura

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was my first experience with an oil cleanser. I used this every day to remove makeup and sunscreen. I didn't realize what a bad job I was doing of removing makeup/sunscreen until after I started using this. Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing oil takes EVERYTHING off, including waterproof mascara and liquid eyeliner. A couple times a week I would massage this in for a bit longer, maybe 6-7 minutes, and I saw a pleasant change in the appearance of my pores. They were less dark! I think in conjunction with the salicylic acid I've been using, the cleansing oil really helped in the appearance of my pores. After massaging this oil to dissolve my makeup, I wet my hands, massage again for a couple seconds, then rinse completely. I follow up with another basic cleanser to get rid of any oil residue.

The bottle itself is okay. I always like a pump bottle with an option to close or open, but this one leaked a bit in my travel pouch. It wasn't a complete spill, though. I got this in a set offer, so I didn't pay full price. I was going to buy it again, but wanted to try another cleansing oil that was $12, about half the price of Shiseido's cleansing oil. But I would definitely buy this again if a cheaper brand doesn't work out.