October 30, 2014 | 1533 users online

Eyeliner - Chanel - Automatic Liquid Eyeliner

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 11:36:00 AM More reviews by Jadeke

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've always been a bit scared when I put on liquid eyeliners. In the past when I tried these one, I didn't like it, because it was too intense, so for years I've only worn pencil lines, or eyeshadow. But today I decided to buy a liquid liner, and try it. And I must say I really like it. It's easy to apply with the brush. I've just tried it on, and I immediately could draw a nice line on my eye, it's not too dark, but perfect for my greenish blue eyes.

The best way to apply is to press once, and if too much comes out, just wipe it off on a tissue. If you don't have a steady hand you should practise on an egg. I have rather big almond cheap eyes, so maybe that's why it works so easy for me. If you have small eyes it can be tricky to apply.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2012 2:35:00 PM More reviews by PhatMuffin

Overall, an ok eyeliner. Does not smudge and stays in place the entire day. The brush though is too thick! It's hard to make the start of the line thin enough and it ends up looking like I can't apply liquid liner. The formula is kinda watery and you have to apply two layers to make the color even. The pigmentation is also not that good, kinda dark grey instead of black, this looks good when I want a natural look but simply doesn't work for a dramatic style. I don't hate it, it's just that I would like that little extra when I spend a large amount of money on a product.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2012 4:52:00 AM More reviews by eugiegenie

I'm not very good at applying eyeliner, but this eyeliner is very easy to apply! I used to use a gel eyeliner and that was awesome, but the downside to that was that it would harden up during the winter and that made it very difficult to apply, and it didn't give me a very natural look (it was too bold). Since I bought this Chanel liquid eyeliner, I've never touched the gel eyeliner ever again (using the gel eyeliner meant I had to use a brush which is less convenient). I don't usually wear a lot of makeup, so I only apply the Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof eyeliner, but when I do apply full makeup, I'd draw a thin line with the stylo eyeliner followed by the liquid eyeliner on top. It's very easy to apply and it doesn't smudge nor blur. It's perfect, plus it's not expensive (in Hong Kong, at least), in fact, I was surprised at how affordable Chanel products were!! Just give the eyeliner a few twists (the sales lady suggested two twists), dab onto a tissue to ensure that you don't have too much liquid, and you're ready to apply! I would definitely buy it again and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to look and stay pretty all day!! =D

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2012 4:25:00 PM More reviews by elfodimontagna

This automatic pen is terrible! I wouldn't recomment it to anybody, i can't belive all the positive reviews here on make up alley! it comes with a brush, that is too thick anyway to be used as an eyeliner. The packaging quality is so poore that i cant belive i paid so much for this product. The worst part is the pigmentation, like a watercolour! and it let come out too much product the can't distribute well on the brush, such a waste! thats not everything! once is on the skin it peels off! i like the antrachite colour though

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by Sophia1105

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Chanel seems to make blacks I can wear to work, during the day, etc and still get the clean, crisp beauty of the color without the harshness of some deeper blacks. la Ligne cake is my all-time favorite, but it can smudge and the line loses it's crispness after some hours. Gels wear too harsh for my liking (beyond tightlining). I wanted a good liquid (=crisp) without the inky weighty intensity I can often prefer for nighttime. This fits the bill. It is a sheer black, you have to go over it for a deeper tone. But it's softer, lighter and the application is very easy. You have to fuss more with this and I think I burn through this like there's no tomorrow, but for when I want something daytime black without treading into brown, this fits. I could see how this could be too sheer for some; I still tightline with my LM or Chanel cake, and then layer this over the outer 1/3 of my eyelid, above the lashline, to make a softer cat eye. If you want a richly pigmented liquid, Almay's liquid is a great deal cheaper, more heavily pigmented and comes with a felt tip brush. But that can at times wear harsh. If you prefer something of the sheerer finish you can get from a pen eyeliner (Chantecaille and Hourglass are ones similar to this in finish, pigmentation, etc) then you may like this. You have to twist this up and it does push out into gobs in the brush tip. The SA instructed me to twist up only twice. I twist once and wait, then a 2nd if need be. The tip itself is lovely, very thin and easy to get a fine point. Easier than the Hourglass and Chantecaille pens, which (though I love the formulas) can make a tad too thick of a line. (The Chante seems a tad more "black" than the other two). For something sheerer, softer, I love this one from Chanel; when I want more intensity, I stay away.

Edit: bumped down to a 3, too much fussing for more.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2011 8:43:00 PM More reviews by primavolta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a huge fan of liquid pen liners and previously had used MAC's penultimate liner. I primarily use Chanel cosmetics so I thought I'd give the automatic liquid liner a try.
I'm disappointed - the "automatic" mechanism of the liner dispenses the product, but you have to be careful not to dispense too much. Often when applying the product it will glob over. The brush is sloppy, so you have to apply with care - but doing so results in a very transparent consistency. It lasts ok but for a product that was twice as much as my favorite, tried and true liner I expected at least the same quality if not better. Definitely wouldn't buy again - I'm willing to splurge for good quality but this was not worth it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2011 6:34:00 PM More reviews by poppydoll

Pros:
-Brush is good
-Staying power is good (after everything is done)

Cons:
-WEAK pigmentation
-Formula comes out like watercolor
-Because of above, application is long and tedious

I was super excited to try this eyeliner and it is a disappointment. I'm not a newb with liquid application but the formula that came out was just so watery and ugly. The instructions do say to shake it before application, but I could shake it till the cows come home and the result would still be the same. I tried using it on 3 separate occasions but got the same mess. I chucked this at the bottom of my drawer and completely forgot about it till now (1 year later).

Turns out you can get a really nice, solid line when you layer it and not pull the brush through. I'm not sure if that makes any sense but I basically blob a ton of product on, then smear it out. The only thing that sucks is letting it dry, then do the smear and pull, let that dry, and do the smear and pull again. It's a really messed up way to put on the liner but it works for me. Only when I do that it gives me a nice, bold colour and I can actually wing it, and looks like normal liquid liner. The staying power is pretty good and it looks really nice but 10-15 minutes for eyeliner is a joke to me. I'll use this up but I'm never buying it again. All I can say for Chanel with this one is wtf?

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2011 10:07:00 AM More reviews by rea1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

What a waste of money for a dissapointing product! My first liquid eyeliner and I thought it would be easy to use. The tip which is like a brush is hard to use and apply correctly. The colour is weak especially over eye shadow and it doesn't dry easily. As a result it transfers on my browbone when I wink. I prefer the eyeliners with a bold tip which resembles to a marker. I never expected such a product from chanel.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2010 11:49:00 PM More reviews by toes421

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I splurged when buying this eyeliner because I thought a brand like Chanel would be worth it and i've been looking for a good liquid eyeliner for a while. Well, I did not like this eyeliner at all. The liquid either didn't come out enough or came spilling out. And when I finally got the right medium, it did not go evenly on my eyes.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2010 7:59:00 PM More reviews by estel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Disclaimer: I didn't purchase this product; my boss gave it to me after *she* bought it and found that it irritated her eyes (we both wear contacts, but it didn't irritate mine, even though my eyes are more sensitive than hers).

I don't really like this; I have it in a charcoal colour, which is nice (but I prefer black). The brush tip is not great; it's too flexible, and since you have to keep "clicking" the end to get more product out and consequently have no real control over how much product is on the brush, it's really difficult to get an even line.

Won't be purchasing.