Lancome Hypnose

3.8

Ingredients: aqua, paraffin, beeswax, stearic acid, carnauba wax, acacia, palmitic acid, triethanolamine, PEG-40 stearate, simethicone, sodium polymethacrylate, aminomethyl propanediol, hydrogenated jojoba oil, hydrogenated palm oil, hydroxyethylcellulose, panthenol, polyquaternium-10, methylparaben, propylparaben, bht. May contain: CI 75470 (carmine), CI 77007 (ultramarines), CI 77288 (chromium oxide greens), CI 77289 (chromium hydroxide green), CI 77492/CI 77499/CI 77491 (iron oxides), CI 77510 (ferric ferrocyanide), CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), mica.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had such awful luck with mascaras (from cheapest to most expensive) I was a bit reluctant to buy something rather expensive that could potentially bring me more disappointment!

(Or maybe my lashes are just that awful, haha :) )

Oddly enough I must say I'm quite pleased with Hypnose!

As with most mascaras I found I had to open it and then let it 'settle' for a week or so before actually starting to use it.

The brush works well to separate the lashes as well as giving them some curl. Layering is easy, I had no issues with it being clumpy as a few reviews have said. Even three or four layers never gave me lumps.
I'm also happy with how long it's lasting me - bought it around 3 months ago, use it at least 3 times a week, and the formula is still fine, not thick or dry.

(Of course, I am careful to keep to the 'mascara-friendly' user rules haha, as recommended by make-up artists - always twist the brush in/out (not just pull out/ push in), never 'pump' it, and never wipe the excess formula on to the opening of the mascara tube).

In my experience the only setbacks are that it doesn't come off as easily as most non-waterproof formulas, and the price - the latter being the main reason for not choosing to repurchase it as often as I'd like. Well, also, I do like false lash effect and this formula doesn't give a much oomph on my medium length/thickness lashes. But then again, nothing ever really does :D

All in all - a really good mascara that would be close to perfect - if only it was a little cheaper :D

I've always bought "pharmacy quality" mascaras, as I'm always generally happy with what Maybelline and L'Oreal produce (while not always great, each have some great "go-to" products) so I never felt the need to pay extra for big brands like Lancome or other fancier brand. If I pay 50$ will it be 5x better than the one I'm currently happy with? I don't think so...

So that said, my boyfriend (who has much more expensive tastes than mine!) while on a trip, brings back as a gift from the airport duty free a set of 3 different Lancome mascaras: one is Hypnose, the other Hypnose Drama and the last one Virtuose (which was a let down...) if I recall. My favorite of the three was Hypnose Drama. But that said, the regular Hypnose is a really nice, good quality mascara. While not extraordinary, what I like most about it is its versatility, which cannot be said for 90% of other masacaras. You can use it to add however much you want, and wherever on your eye, to define a style specific to what you want. More in the front? On the side? 2 coats? More? This mascara will do it.

I always have 3-4 mascaras simultaneously in use: I tend to use Hypnose most when I know I have a dinner at night; since I ALWAYS wear mascara, I will put one regular coat in the day, and before dinner I will add a second coat, without any real trouble or clumps, just to add to my makeup. I can't say I can do that with many mascaras out there...

So a good, solid, quality mascara.

After having experimented with most mascaras, I have to say I have never been as spherically satisfied as by the Hypnose. It just ticks every box.

I don't have to use primers or curlers with it. It does its job without extra help.

I would repurchase it, even if the price was double.

Wow! This mascara gives my already long lashes the volume it needs to upgrade to dramatic lashes! If it weren't for the price, I would repurchase this every time! (I did click repurchase because I would if I could)

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

One of the best mascaras I've ever used! It doesn't clump and looks very natural. Makes my short eyelashes look thicker and longer. I would definitely purchase this product again.

I've experimented with many mascaras recently and this is the best. What I"m looking for: not a tonne of volume (I'm fair skinned so it can look too heavy) but enough to define each lash, lash separation, lengthening, holds a curl, flightily feathered/fluttery look and must not budge all day. Hypnose does all these things.

Additionally, it legitimately is a build able mascara. When I have an evening event, I can put on more layers for a heavier look. Yet it never weighs down my lashes.

The brush is narrow enough to get right into the corners. It's also easy to touch up each individual lash if you have one pointing the wrong way or something like that.

I use this with the Shiseido Nourishing Base for boosted length.

I think it's time for me to just accept I won't find a better product for me. Unsure why it only has a 3.8 rating!! I can't think of a product that would suit more people, unless they wanted full on massive false lashes with that more spidery look, which Hypnose does not do.

I know some people seem to think they can get an equivalent product to this one at a drugstore price, but I've thoroughly tried many Max Factor, L'Oreal, Maybelline etc mascaras, and none compare overall.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Amazing Mascara, no other compares to this! My ultimate HG! And gives that false lash effect.

I think I've found my new HG. However. I have the new one to try yet so that may prove to overtake this :) I use with primer and my eyelash curlers. My eyelashes are long but quite fair at the ends. And my bottom lashes are as long as my top ones. This doesn't flake as long as my eyes don't water and you don't try to layer too much.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this mascara !!!! It gives me incredible volume and does not clump !! The brush is amazing. I can get the volume and separate my lashes. I don't even use a primer. I have gotten compliments about how long my lashes are when I wear this mascara.
Really..it's the best mascara I have ever used. Worth every cent !!

Okay... I'm reviewing from Canada & possibly the Lancome products we get here are different. I couldn't find the specific mascara I'm reviewing here so I'm putting it under Hypnose. This one is part of the Hypnose line & called "Hypnose mini Maxi" & I so very much wanted to love it. Most of the skin care I used is Lancome & has been, literally, for decades. But I find this mascara a big disappointment. I bought it, even tho' it only is available in 'black', which is too dark for me... dark brown being about as far as I usually go with my redheaded skin. What I do like a lot is the mini brush which works well with my short lashes... easy to reach every one without 'standing on my head'! However, there is way too much product on the wand unless you carefully remove as much as possible... & in no time, it's dried & flaking during application. The flaking continues & there are soon smudges below my eyes... something that rarely happened with the 'drugstore' L'Oreal mascara that I use most regularly. I plan to rinse out the mascara & use the wand to apply other mascaras that work better for me.... however, for all its advantages, that makes this mascara wand pretty expensive! Sorry Lancome... & I had such high hopes for this one!

Popular Mascaras