MAC Up The Amp

4.7

on 1/20/2015 6:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Definitely one of my favourite MAC lipsticks. It's a beautiful pinkish-purple colour and is so creamy and goes on my lips so smoothly. I usually wear it with a dark purple lipliner just so that it doesn't look too clownish on me

on 11/29/2014 9:38:00 PM

This is one great product! Awesome lasting colour and great moist consistency. Was originally looking for a nude lavender but I decided to "up the amp" and finally try this. A nice alternative to my other fav, Candy Yum Yum. Why wear boring "old lady" colours when MAC makes such a great medium depth plum?

on 11/28/2014 5:41:00 PM

I really love this colour and I think it is truly unique. I couldn't believe it suits me due to my transparent skin tone but it is dramatic in a non-over the top way. I use either Subculture or Magenta liner with it. I love it with a warm brown grungy eye, my hair in a topknot and quite wispy lashes.

Mac describes it as a lavender violet. I think it more of a blue based mauve-dark lilac with an off pink tone to it too. It is an amplified lipstick so it is quite pigmented and has a sheen to it but is creamy to wear. It doesn't have the same staying power as the mattes but I would get up to five hours if I have a liner underneath.

Will continue to buy it for years to come.

on 11/17/2014 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Received this in the All About Plum Mac make up kit for free. This little gem is gorgeous,goes on smooth & is long wearing. I usually prefer matte or frost lipstick because others are too shiny.This is amplified creme which makes it very opaque which is a plus since I have pigmented lips. I also have Mac Heroine & Mac Seductive Intent so thought 2 purple lipsticks were more than enough. I was wrong this color is a lavender that pulls lilac & mauve but doesn't make warm toned ladies look ghastly. I have yellow & orange undertones.

on 11/3/2014 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I am glad I purchased this lipstick. Didn't expect to love it so much but it really is so pretty on me. I think it is a colour that will fit most skin tones.

on 11/1/2014 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have waited for too long to pick this up. It was out at the local counter so I ordered it. I am so happy I did. This is just so freaking gorgeous. It is a lavender violet color and it’s more midtone, nothing bright. It’s just a perfect berry shade that I never stop loving. Its super flattering on so many people. This is in an amplified crème formula, which is new to me, and I love it.
I got sick of having “dupes” of it and decided to get it. BTW, the dupes are not the same. Now having the original, the famous dupe of Revlon Berry Haute (which is a favorite of mine) is not the same color. It is slightly darker. I know it doesn’t matter but there IS a small difference.

on 10/18/2014 4:33:00 PM

Best mid-toned purple lip! I'm an nw/nc20 (really nw but wear nc to play down redness)... This is very complementary to my skin. Brings green out in eyes! Walks the perfect balance bw a deep(er) color and creaminess ... Just creamy enough to carry the color off --- sometimes darker shades are so creamy they melt and smear off or so matte they're dry, but this is perfect. Creamy yet stays put. I find this is usually difficult for companies to carry out. Prob won't have to repurchase cause I don't wear often but this will always be my go-to purple lip! Funky but not over the top, you won't look silly, lighter than being vampy... Just truly a unique shade!

on 10/5/2014 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I would never imagine myself using a purple lipstick but eventually I did and loved it. This is the best violet purple. Up the amp complements my NW20 skin with pink/cool undertones. It makes my skin look less red. I usually wear a black top or a dark grey when I wear this lipstick in order to make it stand out more, looks very sophisticated. It leans more purple than pink on my lips. I also love its creamy formula, soften my lips and fades beautifully. What can I say more, love this lipstick.

on 10/2/2014 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Too blue tone for my yellow skin tone... I suggest Granache from Bite if you want a flatering option for purplely tone.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Definitely part of my top MAC lipstick shades.
It comes off as more pink than purple, despite how it appears.
The purple is very subtle, so it's easy to rock with any outfit/skintone/occasion.

This is a better alternative to Limecrime's Airborne Unicorn, which looks very tacky to me.
If you want a bolder shade, go with MAC's Heroine.
Up the Amp is the less-amped version of Heroine, I'd say.

Popular Lipsticks