Price: $

Price: $

Honey, propolis (some versions)

on 3/7/2015 12:38:00 PM

This review will be kind of like the ACV review.
Most people already said the basics.
I will add the following.
Like yogurt, the type of honey is a consideration.
Better honey, better results, plus internally it is good for you.

(Yogurt, FYI, should be FULL FAT as in 6% or more for the skin, and preferably GOAT which has protein molecules that penetrate the skin unlike the bovine version, less effective.)

Honey: eat it. Just a bit daily is excellent for digestion, immune system, good bacteria.
(Research that if you want, and find out about Manuka Honey)
BEST HONEY is Manuka, UMF 12 or more (go look that up)
any brand that is trusted. It's pricier. For face, I'd go for a low UMF like 8 is fine.
IF not, then AT LEAST bare minimum, use RAW UNPASTEURIZED honey.
Do not eat or slather on honey that is pasteurized. You may as well use jam.
I have a raw unpasteurized buckwheat honey that smells oddly of manure and that sounds gross, but I've come to kinda like it! It's for the face, not to eat. I don't particularly like the taste of the manure thing going on in there LOL

I like to steam/hot compress my skin first, get pores opened.
THEN apply honey, one teaspoon max, warmed in my fingers onto that warm skin, smooth it over the whole face.
Then I wait at least ten minutes. Man it smells so good. Even the dog stares at me.
Then hot cloths to rest on skin, gently exfoliate it off, taking the dead skin cells and grime from the pores out. IT doesn't do anything for my white heads or slowly emerging pimples that later dry up or go away, but I do have luck with any blackheads. AND it is lovely for exfoliation in general and leaves skin soft and happy.
My favourite way to complete the mask is a quick splash of diluted ACV and a brief five minute application of fat yogurt to cool the skin right down and close those pores. Then quickly rinse that off with cold water and cloth, and then a splash of my generic witch hazel (see review, love love love) and I'm done my facial that cost me about 38 cents with cheap honey and maybe one buck with pricey honey.
In fact, I "wash" with honey every morning instead of cleanser or soap. With the ACV rinse and the witch hazel (no yogurt, fast version) the skin is totally cleansed and prepped for the applications of day stuff.
Love honey

on 3/6/2015 4:18:00 AM

Honey is the best! Great for face mask, mix with coconut oil for a hair mask, also great to put on a pimple under a bandaid while you sleep!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

on 2/7/2015 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Cant go wrong with honey:)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

At first, every time I made a mush mask (that's what we call it), my skin started to sting within about 20 seconds.

I did my research and discovered that a minor stinging sensation is actually to be expected and as long as you do this no more than three times per week it will dissipate over time.

I learned a few things though.

Doggies will not eat mushed bananas
Doggies will not eat honey
Doggies will not eat coconut oil

Doggies will, however, eat the mushed goop. When it's on your face

I'm giving this 5 lippies because raw honey has a gazillion benefits and it really does have some fantastic results.

Oh, and our doggie said "Mummeh I can haz honey burger plz". Bless her.

on 12/7/2014 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Natural honey has such great benefits along with healing, moisturizing, and antibacterial properties. I eat it with tea or by itself, I use it when my throat is soar, I use it in my diy hair mask weekly, and I use it on my skin as a spot treatment during that time of the month! It really is a super food and it's effective, and cheap. It always gives my hair and skin such great results! Honey is a must in my house<3

on 12/7/2014 9:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I love me some raw honey for the taste and health benefits.

Applied, topically, I use it as a mask. I usually mix it with other things like green tea, oatmeal, gingko extract, and egg white(so it adheres to skin better and stays there).

When my skin is freaking out and red, it really helps calms it down. I also use it when my acne is particularly painful. It has anti-inflammatory properties, and acne is an inflammatory disorder so this helps to tone it down. It also has antioxidant properties, so it shields my skin against things in my environment I have no control over.

I use this primarily at night since I don't want to worry about SPF.

I use this on days I wear no makeup, I have time to kill, and I don't care who sees me, since this can create a sticky mess of things. It's a great idea for a sleepover to make some homemade masks, and use them while we're doing each others hair. It is sticky so it'll stick to hair if you're not careful. Sometimes, I put tissue paper on top to help it stay put where I want it.

The more time you use it, the more effective it becomes.

If you leave a giant batch out in the open for more than a day, it'll lose it's effectiveness so less is more.

When I take it off, my skin looks less red and smoother and is softer to the touch.

By no means is it a miracle cure, but it works pretty well and it's cheap.

Dark honey is especially effective.

It's also great for lip balm(if you can resist licking) and especially good for cold sores. It helps in wound healing and my cold sores go away much quicker using some of this at night, of course in conjunction to some topical treatments.

If you're making your own line of skin care products, consider using some of this in the products, particularly lip balms or mixed with clay in masks.

on 12/7/2014 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the 'base mask' that I add my honey to:

Oatmeal : two teaspoons (Any oatmeal is fine, be it instant or just the normal ones)
Yogurt : one and a half to two teaspoons

It is as simple as that. Although simple and basic as it is, this humble mask will instantly brighten, whiten and reduce redness on your skin. It soothes any irritation and leaves your skin feeling so smooth after.

How I customise my mask to cater to my skin's needs:

1. Honey

Great for : it's moisturising, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant abilities

Honey has a great moisturising ability and can significantly prolong the time the mask stays moist. The longer the mask stays moist on the skin, the more your skin absorbs.

It is also anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Honey also has anti-oxidants in it. It is said that the darker the honey, the better the anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties of the honey. In my picture I used Manuka honey, but I found that the more affordable honey works just as well.

Directions: add half a teaspoon of honey to base mixture

To read on about how oatmeal, yogurt helps your skin, or how I customise my masks with tumeric, coffee or lemon read:

on 11/4/2014 11:49:00 AM

omg.. I am in shock by how fast you see results. My skin is very dry and usually all clear, but i have been battling some hormonal acne recently and decided to leave this on for 30 minutes for a few days in a row. First day the breakouts around my chin was almost invisible, and old acne marks reduced. My skin just keeps getting better and better with this. I cant believe i havent tried this out sooner.

on 11/2/2014 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Never again will I buy store bought masks ever again. Lush's banana mask messed up my skin like hell plus made my skin super dry. I have normal skin prone to breakouts/redness in the chin area. I have used natural honey, manuka honey and have yet to use raw honey. There so many ways to experiment with honey and here are my ways...
1. Apply plain honey on wet skin and let it dry and wash off.
2. Mix honey and sugar and use it as a scrub.
3. Mix honey and 2 tablespoons of milk and apply to clean skin.
4. Mix honey, yogurt, besan(chickpea flour available in Indian grocery stores) and very little turmeric and apply to cleansed skin like a mask and wash off after 20 mins for glowing skin. Besan acts as a thickening agent and as a scrub once the mask hardens. Hope this review helps and as always patch test to see if you are allergic to any ingredients.

Popular Treatments (Face)