Revlon Super Lustrous Creme - Pink in the Afternoon

4.2

on 5/11/2014 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Nudeish almost Barbie pink with a slight peachy coral tone. Neutral, good for most skin tones. Has that 60s opaque beachy look to it. Not sheer at all. No shimmer which is nice.

The review that called it a ballet slipper pink is correct.

On my lips, which are dry, a bit flaky with age lines it behaves fairly well. Won't travel into lip lines BUT does accentuate flaky patches. I fix that with a quick coat of Revlon super lustrous lip gloss in Super Natural which is another creamy nude pink & goes perfectly on top.

I don't have trouble with it drying my lips and it lasts. Even with gloss on top. I like it when I'm in a 60s mood channeling Audrey or Jackie. Really lights up my skin, especially wearing when navy or grey.

Pink in the Afternoon is a beautiful pinky/coral. It is the perfect pink shade in my opinion! It is the kind of shade you can quickly put on in a rush and you know you'll still look good.
HOWEVER, I find the formula of this lipstick is difficult to work with. It goes on creamy but then 20 mins later, it turns extremely matte and makes my lips flaky & dry. I haven't got dry lips so I don't know if anyone else has this issue? It is such a let down as I love the shade.

Would I repurchase? Hmmm, if it was discounted or on sale but I regret paying full price. I would recommend testing this lipstick before buying.

on 5/3/2014 4:56:00 PM

The varying descriptions and pictures of this color have long intrigued me. The drugstore was having a sale, so...

Anyway, this is a rather ugly color if applied straight from the tube. It's a dry-looking bright salmon pink that, due to the creamy formula and high pigmentation, will highlight any dryness on your lips and clump up in the little lines. It can be more wearable if you thin it out with some balm or gloss or blot the heck out of it. And make sure your lips are exfoliated and smooth!

I have dark hair, light, yellow-toned skin with olive undertones, and pigmented, plummy-pink lips. "Pink in the Afternoon" is more intense and maybe more cool-toned on me than some of the pictures above. But this lipstick is a bit of a chameleon. In cool light, it looks sort of Malibu Grandma and isn't too flattering on me. In warmer light, it appears to be a light, clean, yellow-based coral pink that almost looks good (just like the flash/no flash picture). It swatches warm on white paper, so I don't know what's going on \_(ツ)_/

I do have to admit that I was surprised at the price. ~$8 seems like a lot for a drugstore lipstick, but I guess it's been a long time since I've bought any Revlon. Probably won't repurchase. Lipstick is one of those things where you have to immediately love the color and what it does for your face. If you put it on and go, meh, like I did with Pink in the Afternoon, then it's probably not for you.

on 5/2/2014 11:57:00 AM

I love this color! 'Pink in the Afternoon' is a classic ballet slipper pink .... if you know what I mean. It's a slightly peached pink. But not coral. It is not cotton candy pink, rose pink or little girls bedroom pink either.

If you took little girls bedroom pink and added a little bit of peach and a tiny bit of nude beige (just enough to warm it up a bit, but not enough to make it a peachy-pink or nude-pink) ..... then you've got 'Pink in the Afternoon'. It's a beautiful classic color.

One thing about this lippy though ..... since it is a creme, it does nothing to hide wrinkles or dry spots on lips. It does not add wrinkles or dryness, but unlike a pearl or shimmer lipstick which will cause light to bounce off the shimmers and do a bit of camouflage for you, this will not. So I always apply a clear base first before this lipstick. Any clear moisture ... chapstick, lip balm, lip primer, whatever ...... will do. I use 'MyChelle Lip Plumping Treatment'. So lips look smooth, plump and lovely! :)

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I picked up this product at big lots and for the price I just couldn't say no. Normally $7.99 at CVS, I got it for just $2.00! I've definitely found that big lots carries a lot of drugstore makeup (maybelline, revlon, covergirl, etc.) at a cheaper price and I reccommend that you check it out if you have a store near you. So back to the lipstick - this is the perfect shade. I cannot tell you how long I've been looking for a pink color that wasnt too "barbie pink." It's ALMOST like a "my lips but better" color but it still has that hint of pink that makes it just come close. The formula of this lipstick is super creamy, keeping in mind that I use a lip balm or a lip butter underneath all of my lipsticks (to keep from creasing, drying or flaking up.) The only thing that I didn't really love about the product is one part of the packaging - which really isn't a big deal. When you open the lipstick it's in a black case but then it has a gold casing too. The gold casing is shiny and "mirror" like so fingerprints and any lipstick that gets on it just smears all over. I would've prefered more of a matte metal but hey, I payed $2.00 for the product. I really can't complain! To be honest, if I had to replace this product and pay $7.99 - I probably would. Check big lots first though! :)

on 3/20/2014 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

love it gorgeous texture and colour. does not dry lips. I find it similar to my mac cremesheen fanfare. just very slightly less pigmented but more smooth application and better texture.

on 3/10/2014 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is the lightest shade of pink I can get away with wearing. I think it's a true neutral - not too peach or purple. I'm impressed by these Revlon cremes. Very wearable. If you are looking for a pale pink lip, this formula is among the best.

on 1/26/2014 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

A peachy-creamy pink lipstick that can pass of as a healthy flush of nude... This shade compliments my NC35/30 skin perfectly, makes lips appear fuller too as it's lighter than my natural lip shade. Somehow over time, the base of the lipstick has melted, that left the tube with quite a mess. Maybe just my storing problems, otherwise a great one for its price.

I like the formulation of the Super Lustrous line but this shade is simply too loud for me. More like a neon pink with yellow undertones.

on 12/29/2013 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lipsticks are my favorite makeup products and I always look forward for trying new ones.
This pink lipstick suits most of skin tones, the formula is not drying and it applies very nicely. However, The Pink In The Afternoon lipstick doesn't stay long on my lips (comparing to MAC and YSL). One thing that I absolutely hate about this product is that it smells like chemicals so badly.
Overall it's a good lipstick for its price, but if you aren't on a budget, than go for Mac ones.

Popular Lipsticks