MAC Russian Red

4.6

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This is my first MAC lipstick and unfortunately I am extremely disappointed. I have a lot of very warm undertones to my skin (NW45) and this just seems to wash out on me. On me this is like an orangey, brick red and there is nothing special about it. I like daring colors and this red to me looks like something for a woman who is afraid to wear red at all. It's boring to me and more like a lipstick that I could see someone wearing maybe to church or a Republican convention or something. I bought it online so I did not have the option to try it on first. I've ordered Ruby Woo, hopefully that will be better.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

THE perfect red lipstick. No orange or pink undertones. Matte and great staying power. Love love love.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Oh lovely red colour, a true cool red.
I'm fair with freckles with a cool undertone. I got some redness in my face, so if I want to wear a red lippie I have to prep by concealing the redness.
The formula is drying and not easy to apply.
I solved that by prepping my lips with the lip primer.
I usually hate it to buy another product to make a product work but because of the awesome colour and staying power (4 hours with coffee drinking) I sacrificed my principles

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love a good red lipstick, but Russian Red isn't the one for me. The colour is lovely, a nice blue-based red, slightly deep but not vampy. It is matte and applies like a dream, opaque in one coat and not drying. The colour suits my NC20 skin too and comes with the signature vanilla MAC scent. However, this lipstick bleeds a lot on me, which is not an issue I have had with any other red lipstick. It is essential to pair this with lipliner (I like MAC Cherry). This makes it hard on days where you just want to brush your hair and throw on a red lip for that casual-badass look. I take points off for that reason. This is probably my least favourite Mac Red. I much prefer Ruby Woo, Ladybug and Dubonnet. This is a very popular colour however, and looks nice pre-bleeding. However, the bleeding issue is the main reason that I will not repurchase. The colour itself is lovely.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

It seems there's not much I can say to add to the already glowing reviews of this lipstick but I love it! Red lipstick and mascara is really the only makeup I wear and this is the best shade of red that I've come across. I have very pale skin but dark features and the colour is perfect for me.

I purchased it for my wedding in 2011 and because I rarely wear makeup, the same tube is still growing strong. I know you're meant to throw away lipstick after a few months but it still goes on just as well as the first day I bought it. Because of the matte finish, it can be very drying on your lips so pop a primer underneath and just dab on some balm over the top.

The colour is very long lasting and I just usually need to touch up the top part of my bottom lip after eating. A fabulous and very flattering lip colour - well done MAC!

I bought Russian Red because I wanted a fancy red lipstick and this has stellar reviews. The first time I wore this, it was in the middle of the Canadian winter so my lips were constantly chapped. (Blistex medex is my saving grace.) I loved the colour but the matte formula became unbearable after a few hours so I tossed it in the abandoned lippie basket and forgot about it until last week. I wore it with Milani's true red lip liner underneath and applied little bit of Blistex with a lip brush to the center of my lips. I applied it around one and kept checking in the mirror throughout the day and it did not budge at all. I drank plenty of water and ate dinner and it was still perfect. I don't know what kind of magical combination the two are but I am in love. I came home at ten and used a cleansing oil to remove it. I'll definitely try to get a few more uses before winter time. For reference, I'm NC30 with brown eyes and black hair. Fair warning - this is a cool toned red that will garner a lot of attention! ;)

I LOVE this red. It's that classic red lipstick that looks good on virtually everyone. My only (mild) complaint is that because it's a matte, it's very drying on my lips - but the MAC lipstick primer totally fixes that problem. I never use my Russian Red without it. I get compliments on this shade whenever I wear it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

***Look for my picture wearing Russian Red lipstick.

I am Asian, with a skin tone ranging from nc25-nc30. I love this lipstick. It is matte but does not dry out my lips at all! It goes on opaque and smooth. I always apply on top of a lipliner and find that it does not bleed easily. It stays on for a long time, except if I eat, then I have to reapply. I need to wear this more often!

This is my go to Matte Red, it is amazing. I went into MAC to get Ruby Woo because it looks so good but as soon as I swatched it on my hand I changed my mind, Even on my hand it was super dry and I don't think that would be comfortable on my lips, but enough of that. Russian Red Looks beautiful and makes your teeth look a lot whiter. It smells fantastic and goes onto the lips with ease. My only issue with it is that its not transfer proof. I doesn't move on my lips at all but for the first few hours I wear it, if I drink or eat you can see the stain it leaves on the cup etc. After a few hours it is a lot better. I find it removes easily but it also very long wearing. I will buy this again and again. I don't find this product drying at all.

One of my favourite red lipsticks and I have lots! In fact, this was the first ever 'proper red' I ever wore and years later it is still an essential in my make up bag. It is a lovely blue based red that looks polished yet very modern. It has a matte texture, but isn't too drying. It feels very comfortable on the lips and is long lasting. I do have to touch up between meals and drinking, as you would expect. Overall though, it lasts for hours with minimal fading. It never fails to liven up my face and I wear it during the day and also turn to it for evening make up too. It really is a very versatile red and will suit most skin tones.

Recommended for Medium Skin