Smashbox Brush Cleaner

4.3

on 1/14/2008 3:56:00 AM

I was aware that my brushes needed cleaning regularly. I used to clean them in soap and water, some more regularly than others. e.g. my foundation brush I wash every day. This makes it clean but it is becoming decidedly tatty - the hairs are ruffled and dry. For those brushes that I have invested some money in I thought I should try a specialist brush cleaner.
I was very disappointed with this one and won't buy it again. I'm probably better off sticking to soap and water. It may condition the brushes but, frankly, it doesn't get them clean. It even says on the bottle to wash your brushes in soap every two weeks so this doesn't really instil confidence.
The product comes in a spray bottle and the recommendation is that you spray some onto a tissue until it's damp then swirl your brushes around on it until they are clean. If I did this I would have used all the bottle up in the first week. Most of the product soaks into the tissue and you could keep swirling until the cows come home but the tissue still looks dirty. Nothing gets them cleaner than soap and water (as recognised on the bottle).
Since I have bought it I will continue to use it until it runs out but my chosen method of use is to spray the brush itself, rather than a tissue. I do this with a tissue underneath, so this also gets some product on it and then I try to get it as clean as possible - which isn't very clean. If you wash in soap and water immediately afterwards then lots more make up comes out.
I am aware there are other brush cleaners on the market, some of which have received good reviews on MUA (e.g. MAC). But I don't think I'll try them. I don't think the fault is with the particular product, just with the whole concept of a brush cleaner. It may be worth using from time to time just to keep the brushes in good condition perhaps.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have overall been very happy with this product. I find it handy to carry around with me incase I need to clean my brushes on the go if I am applying makeup on another person. It works fairly well but I find that using a liquid brush cleanser and water get everything out from the brush better.

on 11/11/2007 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I still wash my brushes with baby shampoo every fortnight, but for inbetween quick cleans this stuff is a godsend. Just spray a bit on a paper towel, swirl the brush on it, and you'll be amazed at the amount of makeup that comes off what you thought was a pretty clean brush. So easy to use and is pretty well priced (I get it cheaply on Strawberrynet). It dries instantly - big fluffly powder brushes take a bit longer, but its still less than a minute to try).

on 5/19/2007 4:16:00 PM

I love this cleanser. I use it on a daily basis, just spray it onto a tissue, wipe the brush clean and put it away. This is a great cleanser to clean in between washes. At first I thought that the price tag was too high, but its lasts me a while and I've bought my second bottle. I highly recommend this.

on 3/30/2007 3:18:00 PM

I lost a bottle of this during a wedding makeup fiasco (I did a bunch of friends makeup at friends dads house, out-of-town, and this got tragically left behind), and I did re-purchase! This is a great product to use between real washes. I love the spray pump. I spray (it comes out as a fine mist) on a paper towel and wipe my brushes clean. Itís a must have for anyone who wants to take care of there beloved brushes, or wants to switch shadow colors using the same brush.

on 2/12/2007 7:12:00 PM

Excellent for cleaning brushes inbetwwen the soap and water cleanings....love it.

I got a little sample bottle of this with my last Sephora purchase. I agree with the reviewer below: This is great for cleaning brushes that absolutely must be cleaned after each use! But again, this won't replace good old soap and water! You'll still need to give them a real regular cleaning. The price for a full sized bottle is reasonable compared to other high end products, and considering that is the first spray-on brush cleaser I've ever come across.

on 11/21/2006 4:47:00 PM

I got this as a sample from Sephora cirque code. I am pretty impressed, I only got to clean 4 brushes with the tiny sample, but it made my brushes soft, and the surface clean for the next use. It is not a substitue for soap and water, but a good option for brushes you use daily, but can't wash daily. I'd repurchase this, but I would also like to try other (less expensive) cleansers like this as well.This was the first cleanser like this I have tried.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This stuff is great! I spray it on a paper towel and swirl my foundation and concealer brushes in it after using them. They're the only brushes I feel need to be cleaned after every use, and this spray saves me the trouble of a full soapy water cleaning every single day. It has a nice clean smell, and it keeps my brushes clean and well conditioned until bathtime. Hooray for timesavers!

on 10/5/2006 12:33:00 PM

There are quite a few instant, spray-on, makeup brush cleaners on the market now. Of the three I know, Lise Watier is my favourite (it dries off almost instantly), Clinique my second, and Smashbox my third. The reason Smashbox is my third choice has nothing to do with the quality of the product; it has more to do with the length of time the solution takes to dry on the bristles. I have to wait too long between makeup applications to be able to reuse a brush that I cleaned with the Smashbox brush cleaner. I now reserve the Smashbox cleaner for brushes with synthetic bristles (foundation, concealer, lip, etc.) because it is more effective at cleaning those brushes than the other two cleansers and because, preferring mineral powders to lotion and cream formulas, I donít use these brushes as often as the natural bristle ones. If I happen to spray a little too much of the Smashbox cleaner on a paper towel or the bristles of a brush, it feels very soapy and I wonder about the residue it leaves on my brushes. What's more, although the Smashbox cleaner is clear and unscented, I can smell the Witch Hazel it leaves on my brushes, a fragrance my sensitive nose finds disagreeable. I like the clean looking, easy-to-hold, see-through bottle that the Smashbox cleaner comes in, but find it boring compared to the other two brandsí. Clinique adds a pretty pink color to their formula which gives it more life and makes it fun to use but their see-through bottle is bigger and harder to hold. Lise Watier adds a very soft vanilla scent to hers, which is very pleasing to the senses, and her bottle is the easiest to hold and use. All in all, Smashbox Brush Cleaner is a very good brush cleanser; it just takes a little too long to dry for my taste, feels a little soapy, smells a little off, and is not as much fun for me to use as the other two. Will not repurchase. continued >>

Top Rated Smashbox Products