Avene Gentle Eye Makeup Remover

2.9

Water (Aqua), Triethanolamine, Sodium Chloride, Poloxamer 188, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenethyl Alcohol, Sorbitol.

on 7/3/2012 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

The first time I tried using this, it didn't irritate my eye, neither on the lid or in my eyes, but I was still annoyed with it because I didn't find it effective at removing my eye makeup. I didn't use it for a while and then came back to it. The next time I thought the cotton pad was too dry and so tried adding more product and drenched it. That worked. Basically, it works well and is gentle when you use a fair amount of it. Each bottle is not that expensive, but the cost may add up of you need to use it every day. For me it's worth it because I have sensitive skin and a lot of removers sting my eyes.

on 8/15/2011 6:34:00 AM

I really liked this. Firstly my eyes are uber sensitive & when I tried this they had been battling some eyelid dry itchy redness. This product took my eye makeup off easily & *shock* with no irritation. My eyes actually felt better!

This product is fantastic because it puts moisture back into the eye area. This is a much needed thing for dry, red eyelids. No irritation or greasy, irritating eye gritty feeling either.

I paid $21 for a bottle & I had to remove a lippie as I needed to use a fair bit. I anticipate going through this bottle quite fast, so not very good value for money. Nevertheless I will definately buy this lil gem again as it actually helped my eyelids. So thumbs up Avene!

on 5/23/2011 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm at a loss to understand how this is gentle. It has one of the strongest fragrances I've ever come across outside of an actual perfume. Like a bouquet of dried flowers or an equally artificial household spray. That should have been a tip to me not to actually try it on my skin, but I went ahead and applied some to a q-tip and attempted to remove my eyeliner. It stung my skin and caused my eyes to water immediately. I only got as far as the upper lid of one eye, and it didn't remove the liner at all. I was a simple kohl liner from Chanel, nothing waterproof or glittery and it didn't budge.

My skin is very sensitive, combination, and pale so I do tend to occasionally react to skin care. But Avene is marketed towards sensitive skin and supposedly very gentle. I couldn't tolerate this at all, and it left my eye looking red and inflamed for a few hours.

I couldn't return my bottle, so I gave it to my cousin. Her skin can handle anything: perfumed products, harsh scrubs, strong chemical peels, and intense acne treatments. Yet she couldn't use this either. It didn't remove any of her makeup (even with repeated attempts), and a few minutes later she had red bumps all over her eyes.

So this ended up being thrown away. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, particularly those with sensitive skin. Anyone interested in this should definitely try a sample first.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have sensitive skin and this product did not irritate my eyes. However it did not remove my eye makeup. I sat with cotton discs full of product and patiently soaked my eyelids and lashes. It did not work adequately and I needed to use an oil based remover afterwards. It also takes a lot of product to get the cotton pad damp enough, which makes it expensive as well as close to useless for the job. This was a really disappointing product from avene

on 3/30/2010 11:55:00 AM

As an eye makeup remover, this is basically disqualified for one.

PROS: It is indeed made for sensitive eyes and so gentle that it didn't help me much in removing my makeup. I have sensitive eyes and it didn't sting.

CONS: It does not remove waterproof mascara effectively without rubbing hard and long. And that is after i tried to let it sit for 30secs in my lashes. It is very pricey, spent SGD$25.40 for it.

on 3/16/2010 7:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Did not like this product for these reasons:
-the packaging is not convenient to use - I find that I need to shake the bottle to get the gel-like liquid to come out
-I need to use a lot of product to remove even just my clinique mascara
-it just doesnt seem to work with cotton discs - when i put a little blob, it feels too dry on the skin and pulls it, if I put a bit more on, the cotton disc gets all soggy and unpleasant.
-I need to do a lot of rubbing to get the make-up off.
-most definitely will not re-purchase

on 3/14/2010 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product is meant for sensitive skin but it burn a bit on my skin. The SA told me that I needed to put the product on my e/l and my eyelashes and leave it there for a minute and then wipe it off. I found that it is more effective then, but it's not a nice product to use if you have sensitive skin like mine.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is the best makeup remover that I've tried by far. I'm almost on my second bottle. I normally wear waterproof eyeliner and mascara and it removes it perfectly with just a dab on a cotton pad. I love the consistensy of it too. It feels oily but it has no oils in it what so ever and it is super moisturizng and gentle on my eyes. I do find it to be a bit expensitive. Shoppers drug mart sells it for about $27 for 125ml but it's well worth it and I just can't believe I've found something that doesn't irritate my eyes. If I rub too much to get the makeup off, I find it makes my eyes a little red (no stinging though) but just a spritz of Avene thermal spring water takes the redness away in just a few minutes. Great product overall. Hope this helps!

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I have super sensitive skin- even brands like Liz Earle make my skin skin and swell and go red so I have been raving about Avene since I discovered the line- as I love the products and they are so kind to my skin.
I have been using L'Oreal Cashmere Milk eye makeup remover until now but I have found it very greasy and makes my eye area sting.
I invested in this (a little expensive at £8 but I believe you get what you pay for where skincare is concerned.)
A little bit of this clear gel on a cotton wool pad removed all my eye makeup (I wear mascara, eyeshadow and eyeliner) in about 4-5 gentle strokes, it really dissolves the mascara well (usually I have to pinch and tug at my eyelashes with tissue to remove last traces, but not with this.
No stinging, no redness. I think the little bottle will last a couple months too- you only need a lil blob for each eye.

on 12/2/2009 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used this only once, but it stung my eyes very badly so I'm not going to use it again. :( On the plus side, it did remove my eye makeup (including non waterproof mascara) quite well, although my regular eye makeup remover does a better job. I don't seem to have much luck with gel type eye makeup removers. :(