July 28, 2014 | 1905 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - Avene - Gentle Eye Makeup Remover

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2011 6:34:00 AM More reviews by GothicGal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really liked this. Firstly my eyes are uber sensitive & when I tried this they had been battling some eyelid dry itchy redness. This product took my eye makeup off easily & *shock* with no irritation. My eyes actually felt better!

This product is fantastic because it puts moisture back into the eye area. This is a much needed thing for dry, red eyelids. No irritation or greasy, irritating eye gritty feeling either.

I paid $21 for a bottle & I had to remove a lippie as I needed to use a fair bit. I anticipate going through this bottle quite fast, so not very good value for money. Nevertheless I will definately buy this lil gem again as it actually helped my eyelids. So thumbs up Avene!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2011 9:20:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm at a loss to understand how this is gentle. It has one of the strongest fragrances I've ever come across outside of an actual perfume. Like a bouquet of dried flowers or an equally artificial household spray. That should have been a tip to me not to actually try it on my skin, but I went ahead and applied some to a q-tip and attempted to remove my eyeliner. It stung my skin and caused my eyes to water immediately. I only got as far as the upper lid of one eye, and it didn't remove the liner at all. I was a simple kohl liner from Chanel, nothing waterproof or glittery and it didn't budge.

My skin is very sensitive, combination, and pale so I do tend to occasionally react to skin care. But Avene is marketed towards sensitive skin and supposedly very gentle. I couldn't tolerate this at all, and it left my eye looking red and inflamed for a few hours.

I couldn't return my bottle, so I gave it to my cousin. Her skin can handle anything: perfumed products, harsh scrubs, strong chemical peels, and intense acne treatments. Yet she couldn't use this either. It didn't remove any of her makeup (even with repeated attempts), and a few minutes later she had red bumps all over her eyes.

So this ended up being thrown away. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, particularly those with sensitive skin. Anyone interested in this should definitely try a sample first.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2010 11:31:00 AM More reviews by maryandtheboys

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have sensitive skin and this product did not irritate my eyes. However it did not remove my eye makeup. I sat with cotton discs full of product and patiently soaked my eyelids and lashes. It did not work adequately and I needed to use an oil based remover afterwards. It also takes a lot of product to get the cotton pad damp enough, which makes it expensive as well as close to useless for the job. This was a really disappointing product from avene

rated 2 of 5 on 3/30/2010 11:55:00 AM More reviews by joccee

As an eye makeup remover, this is basically disqualified for one.

PROS: It is indeed made for sensitive eyes and so gentle that it didn't help me much in removing my makeup. I have sensitive eyes and it didn't sting.

CONS: It does not remove waterproof mascara effectively without rubbing hard and long. And that is after i tried to let it sit for 30secs in my lashes. It is very pricey, spent SGD$25.40 for it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2010 7:12:00 AM More reviews by rediska

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Did not like this product for these reasons:
-the packaging is not convenient to use - I find that I need to shake the bottle to get the gel-like liquid to come out
-I need to use a lot of product to remove even just my clinique mascara
-it just doesnt seem to work with cotton discs - when i put a little blob, it feels too dry on the skin and pulls it, if I put a bit more on, the cotton disc gets all soggy and unpleasant.
-I need to do a lot of rubbing to get the make-up off.
-most definitely will not re-purchase

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Tanja1801

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is meant for sensitive skin but it burn a bit on my skin. The SA told me that I needed to put the product on my e/l and my eyelashes and leave it there for a minute and then wipe it off. I found that it is more effective then, but it's not a nice product to use if you have sensitive skin like mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2010 9:20:00 PM More reviews by missjessica87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the best makeup remover that I've tried by far. I'm almost on my second bottle. I normally wear waterproof eyeliner and mascara and it removes it perfectly with just a dab on a cotton pad. I love the consistensy of it too. It feels oily but it has no oils in it what so ever and it is super moisturizng and gentle on my eyes. I do find it to be a bit expensitive. Shoppers drug mart sells it for about $27 for 125ml but it's well worth it and I just can't believe I've found something that doesn't irritate my eyes. If I rub too much to get the makeup off, I find it makes my eyes a little red (no stinging though) but just a spritz of Avene thermal spring water takes the redness away in just a few minutes. Great product overall. Hope this helps!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2009 6:41:00 AM More reviews by Fairypants1986

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

I have super sensitive skin- even brands like Liz Earle make my skin skin and swell and go red so I have been raving about Avene since I discovered the line- as I love the products and they are so kind to my skin.
I have been using L'Oreal Cashmere Milk eye makeup remover until now but I have found it very greasy and makes my eye area sting.
I invested in this (a little expensive at £8 but I believe you get what you pay for where skincare is concerned.)
A little bit of this clear gel on a cotton wool pad removed all my eye makeup (I wear mascara, eyeshadow and eyeliner) in about 4-5 gentle strokes, it really dissolves the mascara well (usually I have to pinch and tug at my eyelashes with tissue to remove last traces, but not with this.
No stinging, no redness. I think the little bottle will last a couple months too- you only need a lil blob for each eye.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2009 9:45:00 AM More reviews by sakayume

I used this only once, but it stung my eyes very badly so I'm not going to use it again. :( On the plus side, it did remove my eye makeup (including non waterproof mascara) quite well, although my regular eye makeup remover does a better job. I don't seem to have much luck with gel type eye makeup removers. :(

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2009 8:49:00 AM More reviews by genie_11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a gentle liquid, indeed, but not quite an eye makeup remover. Not even for non waterproof mascara.( though on the bottle is written that it also removes waterproof…)I had to go over and over again over the eyes to remove most of the makeup , so...I think I rather use a regular remover , which will remove mascara in 1-2 motions, rather than 5 times with this and pull my skin like crazy.The packing isn t great either, is t quite difficult to use a proper amount of product.It is a gel, and the bottle isn t very resilient, so It s hard to get it out, because u can t squeeze it.U have to use a lot every time. In conclusion, I think it s a waste of money. Drugstore brands, like L oreal, is 100 % better than this, and much cheaper.