December 19, 2014 | 1581 users online

Fragrances - Dior - Hypnotic Poison

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2014 2:05:00 PM More reviews by Lareesa3000

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this! I've been using it since 2010, it's absolutely timeless. I used to mix this with normal vanilla perfume/spray, it compliments it beautifully.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 6:02:00 PM More reviews by JillyBalboa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this fragrance! I have been using it for years! It smells absolutely amazing - and smells completely different on everyone. I smell vanilla, spice and black liquorish. The staying power is very good. No need to reapply. I ran out a few months before Christmas this year but was instructed not to buy it for myself.. So I had to wait. It was a loooong few months. I missed my 'signature scent' so much I didn't feel like myself. I wear this everyday and get a lot of complements! People always comment that I smell amazing but not overwhelming. Just right. Love love love.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2014 10:42:00 AM More reviews by delectante

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hypnotic Poison is smooth, dark, rich, slick, and suave, like a very charming guy whom you discover is really a jerk. I like it (the fragrance, not that sort of dude). It reminds me of cola spiked with brandy next to a dish of steaming, creamy vanilla pudding thickened with almond paste. Yes, there is a slight sweetish Play Dough note due to the vanilla or bitter almonds, but the lush, almost wet, jasmine does a good job taking the edge off this unintentional plastic accord. HP smells like dessert and drinks, though it evokes the long subsequent hours between the sheets—the aftermath of the digestif. This is what I hoped BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar would smell like. HP is the scent of the girl who plays along with the player and then enchants his best friend a few days later, the scent of the evil-eyed, smirking Snow Queen who has a powerful narcotic flowing through her veins. I think once I finish my sample, a full bottle is in my future. I subtracted one point because HP has mediocre staying power for me, especially given how pricy the juice is, but to be fair, my skin devours perfume. The only EDT concentration I find that lasts is Light Blue, so I have to wait until the rumored EDP of HP is released in America. Notes: coconut, bitter almond, caraway, jasmine sambac, tuberose, cinnamon, moss, jacarander wood, vanilla, musk.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2014 9:55:00 AM More reviews by grayeyedkat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I normally hate HATE HATE vanilla-based fragrances. And this is decidedly vanilla based. It's very strong and lasts a long time. You probably don't even need an entire spritz, half is what I do and it lasts all day. For women, vanilla can be a hunger supressant and cause nausea in those who smell it all day long. This does not have that effect on me, when normally it would, because it's off-set with some spice and musk.

It's a heavy, musky, sweet scent that would be ideal for autumn and winter. It has an edge of spice. It's ideal for a young adult to older adult, maybe between 25 and up. It's a very sexy fragrance.

Pros: long lasting, small bottle will last a long time, wide age range
Cons: pretty expensive (about $80/1 oz), could be nauseating to those around you, easy to overdose on

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by silkpuppet

This fragrance took me several tries to appreciate. An initial sniff a few years back proved too powdery or coconutty for my tastes. After becoming more serious about building my perfume collection, I noticed Hypnotic Poison was often referenced as a vanilla classic, gourmand without being cloying. I gave it another shot at Sephora and once again, I was distracted by certain notes. I happen to hate tuberose and this scent does have a prominent tuberose facet. Oddly enough, my SO totally loved the scent on me and so I started wearing it more consistently. I was perusing reviews and saw on fragrantica that some find this to smell like root beer. Intrigued, I sprayed, sniffed, and realized that indeed it did give a root beer effect. I do not know why, but this fact made me like the scent more. I think it allowed me to pick up on more of the spicy, sexy qualities of the scent. I know that is a bizarre and largely psychological explanation as to why I now enjoy Hypnotic Poison but it is the truth. On my skin chemistry, I get plenty of coconut and jasmine with more vanilla and apricot in the drydown. Excellent lasting power and good sillage and I cannot resist a bottle in my favorite colors. I foresee this being in my collection for years to come.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This smelled so unbelievably bad on me...like mouthwash and dimetap and something spicy and altogether unpleasant. No thanks!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2014 8:49:00 AM More reviews by Laceymacpherson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A classic

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2014 10:45:00 PM More reviews by Eeeeelicia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff smells so good, even my gynecologist wanted to know what I was wearing. I can't count the number of times I have repurchased this unbelievable mixture of vanilla almond heliotrope musky goodness. I promise that you will receive compliments for smelling so delicious when wearing this...I always do.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 1:44:00 AM More reviews by Prncs06

At first spray I strongly disliked this scent, but given time with my body chemistry (truly, it seemed it took an hour), it morphed into something I absolutely had to own.

The first time I tried this, I tested in store along with Burberry Brit (one on each wrist). During the 30 or so minutes, Brit quickly settled into the warm vanilla it turns on me, while HP kept a strong tone that I just didn't like, reminiscent of playdoh. Disliking HP, I purchased Brit and left the store to go about the rest of my errands.

Fast forward around 30 mins-1 hr after I left the store. By now Brit had more or less faded and was becoming unnoticeable, but the scent of HP was still wafting into my nose and forcing me to take notice, and not in an unpleasant way. In fact, quite the contrary. Somehow the scent was still dramatically changing- improving. The playdoh-esque note that had originally offended me subsided completely. What was left was an utterly intoxicating scent of warm vanilla and almonds, plus something deep and mysterious (sorry, perfume novice with no talent for identifying ingredients). HP haunted me, and budget be damned, I returned to purchase shortly after the original Brit purchase. I simply had to have it. This scent is unique to any other I own and has become my fast favorite by far. When I'm wearing it I cannot get enough of my own scent and sniff myself like crazy, repeatedly. Highly recommending giving this one time to settle before judging, it may surprise you like it did me.

Not thrilled about the price, but will still gladly pay it again and again to keep this perfume on hand, should I ever run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2013 7:54:00 PM More reviews by Angelseleena

For a long time I wore Armani Code and I love it. I started running out of it and was questioning whether I should spend my money on another bottle of that since it too it quite expensive. I decided to stop using it as I was reaching the bottom since I love it but was still unsure whether I want to go buy another bottle. Anyways, I was in Sephora and I ended up in the fragrance section about to pick up a bottle of Armani. The sales associate asked me if I needed help and I said I was picking up my usual but was still looking for something new. She then told me if I like sensual smells that the ultimate one was Hypnotic Poison. I smelled it, sprayed it and fell in love. It's nothing like Armani. The only thing they have in common is that they both SCREAM "sexy". This one is a vanilla oriental, kind of spicy. No doubt very unique. I've never smelled anything like this and I'm absolutely in love. Super dark, mysterious and sexy. You really don't need to spray a lot , so in a way you're saving money because you won't have I repurchase for ages. Simply amazing.