Avene Cleanance soapless gel cleanser for oily skin

3.9

The ingredients for the new formula (post December 2014):The new: Avene Thermal Spring Water, (Avene Aqua), Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Zinc Coceth Sulfate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Laurate, Green 5 (CI61570), Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Yellow 5 (CI19140), Zinc Gluconate.The ingredients for the old formula: Avene Thermal Spring Water (Avene Aqua), Water, Decyl Glucoside, Polysorbate 20, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Methyl Gluceth-20, Benzoic Acid, Cetrimonium Bromide, Cucurbita Pepo (pumpkin) Seed Oil, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Green 5, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Yellow 5, Zinc Gluconate

on 10/10/2014 4:15:00 PM

Best. Cleanser. Ever.

I initially got this because I was using Differin for my acne and all other cleansers were way too irritating for my skin. I'm glad I did because I think changing my cleanser actually made more of a difference for my skin than the acne cream! It helped calm down my irritated skin and get rid of the redness.

Smells (and looks) nice and fresh, removes make up effectively, cleans thoroughly without being too harsh on the skin and always leaves my face feeling fresh. I have dry/combination skin and I don't think this cleanser dries it out too much. I still have to moisturize immediately after washing, though, but I think it's actually less drying than other cleansers I've tried.

The packaging is comfy to use and actually looks really nice on my shelf as well. The cleanser has a gel consistency but lathers up into a nice foam, you don't need to use a lot of it at once so the bottle, although on the pricier side, seems to last forever.

A year a go I had pretty terrible acne on the chin area, and after about a year of using this product, the condition of my skin has improved IMMENSELY. My skin is completely clear except for the odd pimple every now and then. Now, of course I can't say for sure that it's thanks to this cleanser alone, but it certainly has helped! If you have acne prone, sensitive skin, then this product is definitely worth a shot. Will probably repurchase forever.

on 9/21/2014 12:23:00 PM

I've been using Clinique for many years but now my skin is much more oily thanks to my crazy hormones... I've started to get more pimples, especially in the T-zone and this cleanser helps to treat them. Unfortunately, it didn't do much for my closed comedones so I need to add a chemical exfoliant to remove them...

This cleanser is really soft/gentle for my sensitive skin and I don't need to moisturize after. My T-zone is not oily anymore (I saw a difference after 1 month of use).

Sent is really good and the opening of the bottle is really pratical.

EDIT: I no longer use this cleanser, it's way too harsh in the long term (especially in winter)... :(

on 8/23/2014 1:03:00 PM

The first time I tried this product I hated it because my skin felt really dry since my skin is overall normal except from my T zone (it is also acne prone near my jaw line), but a year ago I decided to give it another try since my dermatologist suggested it. What I found was that, if you use it in combination with a decent toner and a good moisturiser it really does wonders! My skin feels really clean and I get less pimples! I love it!

on 7/31/2014 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I've been using this for most of a year (alternating with another cleanser) and it hasn't caused any major issues, but I've never been highly impressed, and I think it's time to retire it. It is quite drying, making my skin feel tight after use, and it's fragranced, which I think could be contributing to skin irritation. I was surprised at this given that Avene is usually a fragrance-free brand marketed to people with super-sensitive skin. It also stings my eyes - I know most cleansers do, but I loved the Paula's Choice cleanser I used to have which didn't sting at all. It does have a nice texture when applied and I like that there's only a minimal amount of foam.

Overall, Cleanance gets the job done well enough, but at the high price I won't be repurchasing. I'm actually trying out a cheap drugstore brand cleanser now (Dermaveen) which is much better so far.

on 7/29/2014 3:35:00 AM

My derm prescribed this to me when I was on accutane because its soap free and non irritant. Its the best face wash I've used so far! It cleans my skin without drying it out and controlled my breakouts alot! Thank you avene for making such a wonderful product.

on 7/16/2014 5:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This used to be my HG cleanser..until they changed the ingredients. Now it is very harsh, strips my skin and although it does make my skin feel clean it also leaves it feeling tight. But the worst thing about the new formulation is how much it stings and irritates my eyes. No matter how careful I am it leaves the area around my eyes red and painful.
So this has went straight into the bin and now back to hunting for another gentle cleanser.
Why avene..why..:(

on 7/8/2014 8:28:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I'm a bit torn about this product. On the one hand, it cleanses well, removes all traces of makeup and doesn't cause breakouts due at least in part to it's "soapless" gel consistency. It also smells very pleasant (not overly fragranced, just a clean smell). For these reasons, I've continued to purchase this cleanser for over SIX YEARS!! However......on the other hand, I feel that this product is too drying for my skin. It lathers well and leaves skin very fresh looking after washing, but I feel it is also sucking a lot of moisture from my skin in the process. I think I may need to re-evaluate my relationship with this cleanser! I see this product working much better for truly oily skin types, as your skin will probably tolerate it better (i.e. no moisture loss).

on 6/23/2014 7:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I would not recommend this cleanser to anyone. I have used it for 2-3 months but there are still 3/4 of the volume in the bottle. The product advertised that this is good for sensitive skin, but I disagree with it. The product is too strong for facial skin. After I used it, each time my face feels do tight. It rips off almost anything on your face, including essential oil for your facial skin. Fell so disappointed at this brand. The advertisement completely cannot do what it said. What a waste of money.

on 6/14/2014 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Used this for a few years alongside Cleanance K/Avene moisturiser stuff, and it only led to more oily and acne-filled skin. It did pretty much nothing to help when my acne became really bad, and I had to resort to antibiotic treatment. This only served as a pitifully poor investment and complete waste of money.

I am certainly pleased to no longer be using such overpriced and ineffective products when natural ingredients and oils provide a far better, gentler and cheaper solution for your skin. If you want less oily skin, try organic unrefined coconut oil - works wonders for me and I no longer have greasy skin. Products with synthetic ingredients such as this tend to strip off your natural oils, thus leading your body to produce an excessive amount of sebum which causes even more greasy skin - so you'd want something that will provide sufficient moisture. I am very glad to have learnt to read beyond marketing labels and promotional rhetoric.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I thought that this was a decent cleanser, although I wouldn't repurchase. It stung my eyes and stripped my skin a little too much. It did improve my skin a little, though.