April 19, 2014 | 1025 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup - Ivory

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2012 8:17:00 PM More reviews by sugarfreepersonality

I used this foundation for two years and I honestly cannot fathom why. I'm extremely upset with it, actually...
I thought, during my using it, that it was a very heavy-duty formula that covered all my facial imperfections and gave me flawless skin.
Oh, how wrong I was!
First, I used the lightest color Revlon offers in this foundation and it is INCREDIBLY orange. I can't believe I hadn't noticed this until now, but I turned my face to the side and saw that even though I had blended the foundation well into my skin, it still obviously clashed with my natural skin tone on the sides of my face, and made it look as though I was wearing an orange mask.
Second, though it claims to help control oil, I really saw no proof of this claim. I have combination skin and was relying on this to keep my skin shine-free throughout the day. Even when setting this foundation with a powder, it could not live up to its claims. My skin would often feel like an orange oil slick, and when I would touch it, my fingers would come off with coating of the foundation! This, in effect, would leave the part of skin I had touched completely without any foundation. In the morning, when applying, I hated how dewy and thick it felt on my skin, as though it were just sitting on top of my skin rather than becoming a natural part of it (as much as a foundation can, anyway).
I can fully assure you that these observations were not coincidental, one-time occurences, as I used this same foundation in the same color every single day for two years, without fail.

Also, the packaging! At first, I didn't mind it at all. After buying a new bottle every month or so- since I used it so much- I began to notice that the foundation would leak out of the sides of the top, and as you reach the bottom of the bottle, it becomes like thick sludge and is relatively impossible to get out, let alone use. To try to get the most out of the product, I would flip it onto its top as I neared the end of the bottle, hoping the remaining foundation would drip down into the cap so I could then use it.
This, unfortunately, worked far better than I had hoped. The foundation dripped down into the cap, all right, and also penetrated the insides of the bottle as well, covering the space between the outside and the cap with a hefty coating of my precious foundation, now rendered inextractable and completely useless. Not to mention my other grievances with Revlon in being a company that tests on animals- I doubt that its bunny rabbit subjects like this foundation, either...

I'm simply not impressed anymore.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2012 7:18:00 PM More reviews by beautyonabudget19

I'm extremely fair, so when i found this foundation in a shade closer than any other drugstore foundations i've ever tried.

After reading multiple reviews about this product i was sure it was worth it.
it is quite expensive for a drugstore foundation, its about 15$ but when it first came out i think it was about 22$

This foundation has been raved about and the wide shade selection had me even more excited

The shade i chose was 110 ivory because that is, in fact the lightest shade and i chose it also because the second lightest shade is buff i believe and it had too much of a yellow undertone for my ginger complexion. So i went for Ivory with the more pink undertone.

The consistency of this foundation is on the watery side, it comes out of the container extremely fast and I often pour too much. That's also one downside is that the bottle has no pump or anything, its not the easiest to get the product out.

Once applied it has very good coverage , i double it up as concealer the majority of the time. It blends very well into the colour of my neck and once i set it with powder it seems nearly perfect.

BUT, throughout the day i found my face turning more pink than anything else, Im not sure if it's the natural redness in my face showing through or it's the foundation itself.

This hasn't been much of a problem considering Im used to my face having a red tint.

This foundation also has not broken me out which is a MAJOR plus because most foundations and concealers do really cause me some full blown whiteheads. Luckily this hasnt happened and im so thankful for that.

Except for minor details I found that I really do enjoy this foundation and I do recommend it to others. I think the other shades probably will not have the red tint problem but I do this this foundation is worth trying out.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by oliviasMUA

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I liked this foundation for a long while. It covered well and lasts a very long time. However I've recently switched to Almay truly lasting foundation in Ivory. I feel as though that lasts just as long and yet is much more nourishing to my skin. Colorstay had nothing wrong with it, it just made my skin underneath sort of dull, and I didn't really realize it until I used the Almay and my skin felt great. It is however much more full coverage, and has less SPF than the Almay. So as a foundation for special events and nights out, I definitely still reach for this.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2012 2:32:00 PM More reviews by noxowl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this foundation in Ivory, Combo/Oily for months now. It's the best drugstore foundation I've ever used. I could never drop $50 on a foundation, so I don't know how it compares to really high-end stuff.

This is a full-coverage foundation, something I personally need as my skin is very sensitive and acne-prone (and therefore I have a LOT of acne and scars). It can be used as a concealer as well. As far as I can tell, this foundation really doesn't break me out, and it lasts a long time. My face can be very oily when I'm working, and I find I do have to blot up oil after about four hours, and that dusting on pressed powder instead of blotting makes me look like I'm wearing a mask. Sometimes my face becomes oily enough that this foundation will start to slide, but it's still more or less okay if no one looks at me too closely and I blot up the worst of the oil.

This foundation can look very natural, if you know how to apply blush and eye color well enough after you've put the foundation on and whited everything out. Personally, I think that patting this on with a damp sponge gives the most natural appearance. It dries fast, so you can't just smear it on your face and blend, you've got to pat.

Colorstay saved my freakin' life. My face looked absolutely awful for a while (hormones and stress made me break out very, very badly) and if I went in public without makeup on, people would literally stare at me. It made me feel like a leper, and all of the drugstore foundations I had tried came off after a few hours and most didn't match my coloring. I felt as though I couldn't even go anywhere because I felt so bad about the way I looked and could see no solution.

I'm extremely glad I discovered this foundation. It's not the best one ever, but it's certainly the best drugstore one.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2012 12:13:00 AM More reviews by SpiffySarahD

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have the formula for combination/oily skin in the color Ivory. I have oily skin that is very sensitive and acne-prone. I usually have a few breakouts and a moderate amount of post-acne hyperpigmentation. My skin is also very pale, and I've had difficulty finding a good color match with drugstore foundations. Sadly, this one is not a good match. It's too orange, plus it oxidizes terribly after a few hours.
This foundation claims to wear for 24 hours with a flawless look and a lightweight feel. Personally, I don't think it quite lives up to these claims. It does last pretty well during the day, but I wouldn't say it lasts for 24 hours. It fades as the day goes on, and looks pretty bad after about 8 or 9 hours. It does fade evenly, though, so at least it doesn't look splotchy. It feels really heavy on my face; not lightweight at all.
This foundation can be tricky to apply because it dries so quickly. I have tried applying it with a foundation brush, a stippling brush, a flat top brush, and a damp foundation sponge. Patting this foundation on with a damp foundation sponge has worked the best for me.

Pros:
-Lasts a decent amount of time
-Controls oil
-good amount of coverage (a little more than medium, but not quite full)
-affordable

Cons:
-accentuates pores and dry skin
-very strong chemical smell
-causes breakouts
-very irritating on sensitive skin
-extremely difficult to remove
-transfers badly
-oxidizes

This foundation just didn't work for me. I would not purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 2:29:00 AM More reviews by StilettoQueen7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have this in Ivory, the lightest shade and I use the combination/oily formula. And dear heavens, it ACTUALLY MATCHES MY SKIN TONE. HALLELUJAH!!! I have pale pasty skin, and the lightest shade in every foundation has always been slightly too dark, just enough to bug the heck out of me.This one matches, and it's not too cool, or too warm. The right shade of neutral, for me anyways, and it covers well and evens out my skintone nicely, and dries to a nice matte finish. This foundation is a bit tricky at first, but once I figured out how to use it, I was golden. Other reviewers have said this and I will repeat it: work on one part of your face at a time, and use tiny amounts at a time. It also might be a point of your method of appication, or what type of brush you're using. I use Sephora Professional Platinum Airbrush #56. I put about a nickel or quarter sized amount on the back of my hand, and pick up a little bit of it (NOT all of it) and apply it in patches and layers, and I alternate between buffing and stippling. If you take too much and try to blend it all over your face at once, it will look like a big ucky mess. I start on my jaw line on one side of my face, then the other. Then my cheeks. Those are the places on my face with the most to cover. My forehead and nose are completely clear so I just put a thin layer on those. Then I blend a thin layer from my jaw to my neck. I stipple and buff until it's just right and there are no streak marks. In the end if done properly (it may sound complicated, but it's really not - just use a light hand) it will look good and even. And you gotta give it about 10 minutes to fully dry. I just wore this without powder or anything, and it looked great. And as for it's staying power? I wore this while watching the finale of the second season of Game of Thrones, and there were some scenes where I couldn't help it - I cried. Yes I am a pansy, now lets move on. I was fully expecting to look in the mirror and see those tear stains where you can see your real (and lighter) skintone shining through. There were none! I was SO shocked! My only only ONLY gripe, is I did a photo test with flash and the SPF in this makes me white as a ghost, bahahaha. I won't be taking off any points for that, because if you want to be wearing makeup throughout the day you need all the protection you can get, however if you're going to be going somewhere where you're sure photos with flash will be taken, definitely wear a darker shade, or just get another foundation without SPF in it. But again, it's not losing any points for that. Anyways, I will definitely keep this in my makeup arsenal, and will always repurchase when I run out. Oh, and straight up - my point of reference for how well makeup stays on my face is how much is left after a hot and heavy makeout session with a guy. Scandalous. I am so ready to test drive this baby. After I wear this on my next date I will report back the results to all you fabulous ladies!!! =D

rated 3 of 5 on 2/29/2012 2:51:00 PM More reviews by sarasophia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a love/ hate relationship with this product. The shade is slightly to pink for me but fairly decent. It does give an amazing coverage and it does stay on all day. However, I find it tends too look cakey and the finish it gives is somehow unnatural. I mix it with my Bourjois Healthy Mix in the lightest shade though (1/1) and the result is close to perfection. I might repurchase just because I like mixing this with foundations that give a really dewy finish and not so much of a coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by cloudyskies

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is by far the best foundation I have ever used (and I have used a lot lol). It stays on for a long time and it's easy buildable on my problem spots (cheeks and chin). I've actually tried both the oily skin and dry-combination formula, and while I do have dry skin, I actually find I have a preference to the oily skin formula, especially in winter months because the finish is very matte.I remember thinking the first time I put it on that my skin looked like a porcelain doll! The dry formula is usually what I use in spring/summer months because it gives your skin a nice dewy glow, but it seems the coverage isn't as good. Regardless, it's worth it to look all fresh and glowing without looking overly oily.
I don't really have a problem with the packaging, I just pour a dab on the back of my hand and I'm good.
The color is perfect for my super pale skin and is a good neutral, so it's not too pinky for my already red skin. Overall just a really good foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2012 4:35:00 PM More reviews by cking2013

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This foundation makes me soooo happy :) I've been using clinique foundation for atleast 2 years now and estee lauder for about a year before that so I haven't tried a drug store foundation in a while but I live 16 hour days and my clinuque superbalanced was lasting for only like 3 hours, I needed a better formula. The biggest reason I went to dept store make up in the first place was because the foundation colors from the drugstore brands were never the right color, they were always too pink, orange or made me look sallow. I'm very pale so the lightest color is almost always the right one for me. ANYWAY one of the biggest reasons I like this so much is that it's a very good color match, it kind of reminds me of the commercials for cover girl tru match (or true blend something like that) where the color adjust slightly to match your skin. Because it starts out a little orangey but adjusts, its weird. Anyway I'd say this is a light neutral color. I got this in the normal to dry skin because although i don't really have dry skin I thought in a long wear I would like it to moisturize and some foundations emphasize any dryness I do have, so although I like a more matte face I chose this. It works very nicely has medium coveradge although its buildable so I put more than one layer on in trouble areas or places I usually rub my makeup off. For the most part it last probably like 8 hours the way you put it on but after that its down hill. It dosnt last 24 hours as advertised haha. It also transfers and thats probably the thing I dislike the most, Ive never had a foundation do that before. The bottle also isn't my favorite I wish it had pump but it's ok. I got this for around 10 dollars at target for 1 oz which will last me a long time. I've also noticed that this foundation will also help my powder and blush last longer.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2012 2:10:00 PM More reviews by LexxiMassacre

i relly liked this in the beginnning i even got a second bottle it was one of my first foundations after i bought more more and more (im a foundation junky : ) i noticed how cakey colorstay was compared to my other foundations ive tried flat tops, traitional foundation brushes and fingers so far fingers r the best applications . i will try with sonia kashuk blending sponge ten update on how it looks .