Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage

3.9

(SC-1 SC-8): Diethylene Glycol, Diethylhexanoate/Diisononanoate, Paraffin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Octyldodecanol, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (Cera Carnauba), Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopherol, Isopropyl Myristate, Oleth-10, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Water (Aqua), Silica, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Honey Extract (Mel), Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrapeptide-14, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Mica (CI 77019). May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

on 1/14/2015 4:13:00 PM

I love love love this concealer! I love the dual purpose of it. You can use it for your under eye circles and also any blemishes or redness. It is smooth and creamy and I find blends easiest with your finger tips. Set with a powder I have very little creasing if any eith this product. But during the warmer months I tend to shy away from this because I feel it melts away.

on 12/28/2014 5:44:00 PM

Currently using SC-3. I'm normally around NC35. Shade wise it's not a perfect match for my yellow toned skin and the light side is lighter than I actually am but I find that works better for covering red blemishes and scarring. I usually I blend the two sides together and it blends into my skin pretty good. I do use foundation or powder over it though to match my skin even better. Only dislike is the packaging can be unsanitary, I would advise not using your fingers directly on the palettes, instead use a scoop/spoon/anything really that you can scrape the product out with.

I have combination skin with mild acne and this is the best concealer I have found for covering both redness and blemishes. It smooths over red blemishes and acne scars covering them completely! This is a FULL COVER concealer and if you've ever tried patting layers of concealers over blemishes to no avail (as I have) - this is your product!

The key to using this product is that your skin must be PROPERLY MOISTURISED (if your skin is dry and flaking and not moisturized/not exfoliated then it's not going to look as smooth!) before hand and you should WARM UP the product. Warming up the product is important! It is a solid, hard consistency in the palette and it will not blend nicely if you try to just smudge it on (especially on dry skin). I usually scrape out a bit of product with a scoop and then blend it together either on the back of my hand (clean hands! or you could use a brush/surface) until it is a very creamy consistency. Once you have warmed it up it will smooth beautifully over skin.

I can get dry patches sometimes but exfoliating/heavy moisture prior usually prevents highlighting of dry skin. If I do not exfoliate though I know it does accentuate flaky skin. So if you have very dry skin in general I probably wouldn't recommend this.

I don't use this specifically for undereyes and I think if you do you need to use it sparingly. I've blended out a bit of extra product that I applied to my cheeks up under my eyes and its been fine but I would not actually apply this directly to the undereye area because it just seems like it would be too dry and thick.

I use it quite a lot on my face, to cover redness on cheeks and blemishes and it has never broken me out. Highly recommend you give this a try if you've struggled with covering acne/redness!

on 12/23/2014 6:39:00 PM

I have this in SC-1 and mix the two colors in the compact to make a shade that matches my skin. I really struggled with this concealer when I first purchased it, and was initially trying to use it under my eyes and it looked really cakey and horrible and creased even after I set it with powder. However, I've now switched to using it only for blemishes and it works much better for me this way. It does last very long over blemishes if set with a powder, and can look very good if applied with a light hand.

on 12/13/2014 7:24:00 AM

Love this concealer I'm an SC-1 in this and the shades mix perfectly to match my skin tone. I have a little metal spatula that I use and I scrape out a little of the lightest shade first then I add a little of the darker shade on the back of my hand. As has been said many times it has to warm up. I use the LM concealer brush with this as well and I use that to mix the 2 shades. Then apply this to my eyes where there is a little blue, my broken capillary, and a few tiny spots because I'm so PMSing! This covers them perfectly without caking at all! It's very opaque and a little really goes a long way.

I really like the consistency of this for my skin which is combo oily in my t zone and this does not budge once I apply. I then set with powder and I'm good all day. I like to apply this after foundation as well as that works best for me. I only need the smallest amount. A little more than the size of a pin to get all my imperfections. Once I'm done my skin looks flawless it really is amazing. This has replaced my Tarte Creasless Concealer as I like the consistency better with the Laura Mercier as its not as creamy. The Tarte could sometimes slide whereas this goes on and doesn't move. When I cover a spot I then take my finger and hold it over the spot to warm it some more and I pat a little and it just melts in. I would repurchase this without a doubt and would tell my friends who want a really good concealer that stays put! Doesn't break me out either. Love this! So Recommended!

on 10/21/2014 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have bad acne and I find this is the best concealer. I have tried loads and absolutely love this product. Covers really well without looking cakey. Amazing!

on 10/18/2014 12:39:00 AM

For me, this is my HG concealer.
It comes with two different shades in the compact which lets you mix to a good color match for your skin.
I'm super pale, so SC-1 works for me when I mix the lighter and darker shades.
Keep in mind that this is a very dry and very pigmented concealer.
I only use a tiny brush to do pinpoint concealing, but it's tough to use it in larger areas and not have it look cakey unless you're mixing it with a primer or lotion into the consistency of a foundation.
I do use it for concealing under eye darkness, but only when I've moisturized well underneath, and only when I've mixed it with another concealer that has a little more slip to it.
When it's blended out with a damp makeup sponge it looks pretty natural.

on 9/25/2014 5:50:00 PM

This is always in handbag, always. I've been using SC2 for years; I use it with a fine brush to cover any blemishes and as it's densely pigmented it does a great job. I also sometimes just use my fingers on the go to dab it around my nose/chin area which can get a little red. I love it and will never be without it! A fab easy to use consistency and reliable staying power.

It's not that this concealer is DRY, it's just that it is quite hard-set at room temperature, so application technique is very important.This NEEDS a brush, otherwise it will apply dry and cakey, and you will not get as much coverage using your fingers. If you're in a rush, you can just rub the brush in it and apply it straight to your face and it will look good. But the BEST results happen when you take one side of your brush for the light colour and the other for the dark colour, work the brush into the back of your hand to heat it up and then apply it to your face in small strokes. The results are FLAWLESS; it looks like natural skin. It is the best concealer by far for blemishes. I still find it very good for my under eyes if I ensure that the product is heated enough and I use a brush, otherwise it is much too dry, so if I'm in a mega rush I stick to my liquid concealer.

It is expensive, but you get a lot of product and you don't need a lot per use. It is also very useful having two different shades to accommodate fluctuations in tan, and different parts of your face, for example you might use a lighter concealer under your eyes than you would for your chin.

This really is amazing, you just need to use it the right way. :) The shade range is also very, very flattering.

on 8/17/2014 12:50:00 AM

Loving this even more than my long-time fave MAC Prolongwear. I got this in the Flawless Face kit so the price worked out well. Mine also has the concealer and corrector on too with the setting powder on bottom. The kit came with brushes that I really like, but find the lighter color applies best with fingers. As long as I use this sparingly it does not crease on me.

on 8/12/2014 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Let's be honest, I have a pretty fair complexion and very dark under eye circles that at times looks like I have either been up all night breaking night or doing blow. I have tried and thrown out so many under eye concealers, that at this rate I could open up my own section at Sephora just for this product.

Since having baby number three, two months ago, I no longer know what sleep is. Instead I have become a machine running on no sleep at night (or during the day) and using makeup to hide my tiredness.

On one of my recent trips to Sephora I decided that I needed a new concealer to hide my dark circles. I went plain face without makeup (gasp!!) to Sephora in order to try different concealers out. The nice sales lady told me that Laura Mercier made a good one that is considered full coverage called "Secret Camouflage". It comes in 8 different shades ranging from very light to fairly dark. It has a dual split pot. One side (the darker side) to match your skin color while the other side (the lighter side) to match your skin undertone. You are suppose to be your own mixologist and combine these two in order to get the color coverage you need to hide all your imperfections. While this seems like a good idea, nonetheless a few issues come to mind.

1. Unless you actually know how tones and undertones work, this might be a problem for you if you don't know how much of each side (the dark and the light) to use.
2. This concealer is very heavy and thus offers full coverage. However with that being said, it dries into any crease you have on your eyes and face if not properly blended or if you have dry skin.
3. You need to warm this up before using or it will be hard to blend.
4. You need a concealer brush to use this.

I first tried this LM secret camouflage at Sephora. It did wonders for my under eye circles and really gave them a full coverage coverup. However, it creased right away. The sales associate said that happened because we didn't set it. According to her, had we set it, then it would of gone on and stated on smooth. No problem I thought. So I bought it and took it home. A few days later I tried it again and set it right away. To back up a bit, with my makeup routine, I first apply concealer then foundation. I don't like how it looks the other way around. I use foundation to blend it all out and make it look even. It looked great for the first week that I used it that it made on my "few of my favorite things" blog post.

However as the weeks went by, even after applying my foundation, this concealer settled right into the fine lines of my face (not wrinkles but normal face lines and pores) though I did set it right away. I then proceeded with my contouring and highlighting plus my face powder and setting powder for my whole face.

When I took a step back and admired the whole look, it left the area around on nose looking very dry, plus it settled into the creases of my eyes and made me look old and puffy. Now keep in mind I made sure to moisturizer the hell out of my skin because with heavy concealers you need too. I also applied two eye creams in order to make sure my eyes were well hydrated. Moreover, I heated up the back of my hand with a blow dryer in order to make the product more blended and soft when mixing and applying.

Sadly no matter what I did, this product still left that whole area of my face (nose and eyes) looking dry and creased. This personally did not work for me no matter how much high hopes I had for it and I will be returning it to Sephora and trying out Bareminerals Correction Concealer on my next trip there. I will let you know how that goes. Off to Sephora I go!