Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage

3.9

(SC-1 SC-8): Diethylene Glycol, Diethylhexanoate/Diisononanoate, Paraffin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Octyldodecanol, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (Cera Carnauba), Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopherol, Isopropyl Myristate, Oleth-10, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Water (Aqua), Silica, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Honey Extract (Mel), Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrapeptide-14, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Mica (CI 77019). May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

on 10/18/2014 12:39:00 AM

For me, this is my HG concealer.
It comes with two different shades in the compact which lets you mix to a good color match for your skin.
I'm super pale, so SC-1 works for me when I mix the lighter and darker shades.
Keep in mind that this is a very dry and very pigmented concealer.
I only use a tiny brush to do pinpoint concealing, but it's tough to use it in larger areas and not have it look cakey unless you're mixing it with a primer or lotion into the consistency of a foundation.
I do use it for concealing under eye darkness, but only when I've moisturized well underneath, and only when I've mixed it with another concealer that has a little more slip to it.
When it's blended out with a damp makeup sponge it looks pretty natural.

on 9/25/2014 5:50:00 PM

This is always in handbag, always. I've been using SC2 for years; I use it with a fine brush to cover any blemishes and as it's densely pigmented it does a great job. I also sometimes just use my fingers on the go to dab it around my nose/chin area which can get a little red. I love it and will never be without it! A fab easy to use consistency and reliable staying power.

It's not that this concealer is DRY, it's just that it is quite hard-set at room temperature, so application technique is very important.This NEEDS a brush, otherwise it will apply dry and cakey, and you will not get as much coverage using your fingers. If you're in a rush, you can just rub the brush in it and apply it straight to your face and it will look good. But the BEST results happen when you take one side of your brush for the light colour and the other for the dark colour, work the brush into the back of your hand to heat it up and then apply it to your face in small strokes. The results are FLAWLESS; it looks like natural skin. It is the best concealer by far for blemishes. I still find it very good for my under eyes if I ensure that the product is heated enough and I use a brush, otherwise it is much too dry, so if I'm in a mega rush I stick to my liquid concealer.

It is expensive, but you get a lot of product and you don't need a lot per use. It is also very useful having two different shades to accommodate fluctuations in tan, and different parts of your face, for example you might use a lighter concealer under your eyes than you would for your chin.

This really is amazing, you just need to use it the right way. :) The shade range is also very, very flattering.

on 8/17/2014 12:50:00 AM

Loving this even more than my long-time fave MAC Prolongwear. I got this in the Flawless Face kit so the price worked out well. Mine also has the concealer and corrector on too with the setting powder on bottom. The kit came with brushes that I really like, but find the lighter color applies best with fingers. As long as I use this sparingly it does not crease on me.

on 8/12/2014 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Let's be honest, I have a pretty fair complexion and very dark under eye circles that at times looks like I have either been up all night breaking night or doing blow. I have tried and thrown out so many under eye concealers, that at this rate I could open up my own section at Sephora just for this product.

Since having baby number three, two months ago, I no longer know what sleep is. Instead I have become a machine running on no sleep at night (or during the day) and using makeup to hide my tiredness.

On one of my recent trips to Sephora I decided that I needed a new concealer to hide my dark circles. I went plain face without makeup (gasp!!) to Sephora in order to try different concealers out. The nice sales lady told me that Laura Mercier made a good one that is considered full coverage called "Secret Camouflage". It comes in 8 different shades ranging from very light to fairly dark. It has a dual split pot. One side (the darker side) to match your skin color while the other side (the lighter side) to match your skin undertone. You are suppose to be your own mixologist and combine these two in order to get the color coverage you need to hide all your imperfections. While this seems like a good idea, nonetheless a few issues come to mind.

1. Unless you actually know how tones and undertones work, this might be a problem for you if you don't know how much of each side (the dark and the light) to use.
2. This concealer is very heavy and thus offers full coverage. However with that being said, it dries into any crease you have on your eyes and face if not properly blended or if you have dry skin.
3. You need to warm this up before using or it will be hard to blend.
4. You need a concealer brush to use this.

I first tried this LM secret camouflage at Sephora. It did wonders for my under eye circles and really gave them a full coverage coverup. However, it creased right away. The sales associate said that happened because we didn't set it. According to her, had we set it, then it would of gone on and stated on smooth. No problem I thought. So I bought it and took it home. A few days later I tried it again and set it right away. To back up a bit, with my makeup routine, I first apply concealer then foundation. I don't like how it looks the other way around. I use foundation to blend it all out and make it look even. It looked great for the first week that I used it that it made on my "few of my favorite things" blog post.

However as the weeks went by, even after applying my foundation, this concealer settled right into the fine lines of my face (not wrinkles but normal face lines and pores) though I did set it right away. I then proceeded with my contouring and highlighting plus my face powder and setting powder for my whole face.

When I took a step back and admired the whole look, it left the area around on nose looking very dry, plus it settled into the creases of my eyes and made me look old and puffy. Now keep in mind I made sure to moisturizer the hell out of my skin because with heavy concealers you need too. I also applied two eye creams in order to make sure my eyes were well hydrated. Moreover, I heated up the back of my hand with a blow dryer in order to make the product more blended and soft when mixing and applying.

Sadly no matter what I did, this product still left that whole area of my face (nose and eyes) looking dry and creased. This personally did not work for me no matter how much high hopes I had for it and I will be returning it to Sephora and trying out Bareminerals Correction Concealer on my next trip there. I will let you know how that goes. Off to Sephora I go!

on 7/8/2014 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have this is SC1 and find it to be very effective. It is a very firm, dry concealer that is made that way to stay put. It is not intended to be used under the eyes as it would be too dry and would crease. It is made for precise application to blemishes and does not budge. I would recommend using a brush and a very small amount of product as it is very pigmented. I love how you get 2 colours so the concealer lasts through the seasons when you get tanned etc.

on 7/6/2014 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm not really fond about this product. It's absolutely cakey and it doesn't really "fulfill" its label as a Secret Camouflage concealer, because it sits on top of my pores. I don't know if I just suck at covering spots but this product is meh. It lacks that easy application, and I do not recommend this for beginners. As they will just get frustrated as it is not "User friendly". It also doesn't cover my marks, even after several applications so that's a bummer.

on 6/26/2014 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Secret Camouflage is my first Laura Mercier product. It really has incredible coverage and lasting powder so I can understand why it's considered a cult favourite but just didn't meet my needs.

First of all I'm confused about the color selection. Why so much salmon and peach? These colors cancel blue tones - that can mostly be found in undereye circles - and yet it's not supposed to be used for covering undereye circles. I just don't get that.

My coloring is between NC15 and NW10 and the SA recommended SC1, personally I think the yellow part of SC2 and the white part of SC1 would be a good match but it retails 36 euros where I live and there's no way I spend 100 dollars to get both knowing that half the amount will remain unused. On top of that I avoid sun and don't tan easily anyway so a good color match would be fine year round.

The hard texture is a bit unpleasant to work with as well, even after you're used to it. I care about having good results but I also care about products that are pleasant to work with. Plus, where a great concealer is needed is when having a hideous zit. I can't always resist picking mine so the skin there is inevitably rough. No concealer will look flawless over flaking skin but Secret Camouflage will look horrendous and no moisturizer or primer can make up for it.

For all these reasons my SC1 remains neglected and I won't repurchase.

on 6/17/2014 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I bought this after watching and hearing certain professional makeup artists, including Lisa Eldridge speak well about its performance. I absolutely concur with everything they've said, as this has become my go-to concealer for all purpose coverage.

Prior to purchasing this, I had never used a wax based concealer, which I think is the main reason this performs so very well, It does NOT budge until it's removed. The package contains two concealer shades, one dark and one lighter orange/peach color corrector. I purchased SC-8, the deepest shade, and the darker color is an exact match for my skin, while the color corrector is great for addressing dark spots and also brightening my under eye area.

What I find needs a bit of finesse and getting used to is how hard the product is, so in order to get even and natural looking coverage is to warm the product up extensively before applying. It ensures the smoothest application and from using too much product. My recommendation for a brush would be to use a flat concealer brush, my preference is one made by Le Metier de Beaute, and to conceal before using foundation. I often find that once I am done concealing, I could just set with powder and go.

If I could suggest one improvement to this product, it would be to make the product wells equal in size. Other than that, it's a great product at a great value (in terms of quantity, not price) and I would not hesitate to buy it again once it runs out.

I purchased mine from Sephora.

on 6/4/2014 8:25:00 AM

I bought this concealer because it was recommended a lot by Lisa Eldridge.
And I didn't regret it!
It is not to dry, lasts the whole day and doesn't sit in wrinkles. Added to that you can mix the colors to match your skin tone. And a little really goes a long way, I bought it one month ago and used it every day, but I looks barely used. Also the packaging is very nice with a mirror. Nice if you need a little touch up in the evening.
But I noticed, that it only works with the right concealer brush, that's very important for application!

I was really convinced of the bobbi brown concealer stick I used until then, but this concealer is much better as it doesn't get cakey on your face, doesn't smudge or get greasy and applies more accurate.
I would definitely recommend it!