September 30, 2014 | 1780 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Wild Lettuce Complexion Soap [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2006 9:29:00 AM More reviews by jujubean74

I don't know if they changed the forula, or if my skin changed. When I first used this soap I loved it, now it actually seems a bit drying. I think I might keep this soap around in the summer, but it's not for me in the winter. It is gentle in that it doesn't sting or irritate me. I have skin that gets dry and flaky, and yet gets pretty oily during the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2005 6:49:00 PM More reviews by silvercatt

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

*does the happy dance* I don't know HOW but this managed to clear up my skin almost completely! The reason I am so surprised is because I have extremely dry skin, especially in the cooler months. This is a bar soap. Meaning the ingredients SHOULD leave my skin completely dehydrated and perhaps irritated.
    I'm guessing that because of the fact that this is all natural, it didn't do that.

So I have used this for exactly a week, twice a day. Each time my skin has been squeaky clean, but it didn't leave my skin nearly as dry as some of the other gentle cleansers and most other bar soaps ( I hate dove, dried out and irritated my skin after a few weeks).

the only problem I have is that ALL bars have godawful packaging; there is none. Other than that, I will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2005 10:47:00 AM More reviews by jiney17

Someone sent me a sample in a swap--I usually don't use bar soap for my face. The paper wrapping is cute (and recyclable) but you do need a soap dish to hold this, preferably something slotted so this won't get mushy. This is a hard, olive-green soap with a not-at-all-strong-to-me leafy, minty scent. I kinda like it and it doesn't linger on my skin at all. Dry-skinned types should avoid using bar soap altogether (except maybe Dove) but this is okay for combo/oily me. I generally use this after I rub jojoba oil onto my face to remove the last traces of both the oil and any makeup. Rinses squeaky clean (hence, not good for dry types) but doesn't feel too stripping. Probably won't repurchase (I just prefer squeezing cleanser from a tube) unless there's a sale or something. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2005 10:50:00 AM More reviews by i_darling

I really like this cleanser! Although I generally prefer liquid cleansers from a pump dispenser I keep coming back to Burt's Bees. I had to ditch my salicylic acid cleanser for a more gentle routine after becoming pregnant so this time I tried the Wild Lettuce Soap (I've previously used the Garden Tomato - love it for clearing skin, but a bit drying after extended use) in the hopes that it would baby some sensitive skin around my nose while still keeping the rest of me clear and balanced. So far, so good! I've been clear and *glowy* for three weeks by using the lettuce soap with the tomato toner. I love the fresh, green scent and the price is right so I'll stick with this for a while. Give it a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2005 4:03:00 PM More reviews by lady_astrid2001

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this stuff works great but smells awful.my boyfriend was like, "you smell like lettuce".but i had also used the toner too, so maybe that was it.otherwise i really liked it and my skin looked great.i'm just hoping that i wont break out if i use anything else after using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2005 5:16:00 PM More reviews by cheral

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. It makes my skin so nice and doesn't dry it out. At first it smelled kind of strong but now it doesn't smell weird and I love this soap and will def. repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2005 6:05:00 PM More reviews by allegro_barbaro

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I generally stay away from facial soaps but I decided to give this a try while in my local health shop. First off, I don;t see what all the complaints about the scent is. I find it very 'green' & 'clean' smelling. Secondly it does a fantasic job of removing the day's dirt and make-up. I use it with a facial wash sponge and ith helps lather up the soap and exfoliate my face in one go. My only gripe is that my skin feels a little tight after use but nothing that cannot be fixed with moisturiser. I would buy it again but I might try the tomato one first.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2005 9:07:00 PM More reviews by Jellohno

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This works alright for my dry skin and clogged pores, but over time I have found that I need much more exfoliation than I can get from a bar soap. It's very simple, reasonably priced and low-maintenance. the smell is pleasantly fresh but doesn't linger. I used up my bar but have not repurchased.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2005 8:44:00 PM More reviews by PaintedSophisticate

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

What Does it Do: Its a facial cleanser in a bar soap form. Much like Dove's beauty bars except not. Its for dry and sensitive skin.

Upon First Impression: Of course the first thing I noticed was the smell. Its called Wild Lettuce, so of course its going to have a slightly lettuce smell and it also has a peppermint-y smell which is the signature of Burt's Bees. If you don't like lettuce you probably should just pass this up. The smell isn't too strong, but its very grassy and earthly vegetable smelling and I like those smells a lot so it oesn't bother me. The smell doesn't even last after you wash your face, but even if it did I wouldn't mind. I loved how easy it was to lather, and how fresh and clean and mattefied my skin felt and looked. However it did leave a slight residue which I believe it meant to be moisturizing because its meant for dry and sensitive skin. A lot of natural products leave residue, and I think people mistake it for being a bad thing, and in some cases it is, but I think in this case it is not. The packaging on the one I got
    (the starter kit) sucked. Its just paper. Its not even sealed up or anything! I wish it had at least come in a plastic wrapper or something along those lines. Or a container I could put it back in after using it. I like the paper though (cute packaging is the main reason I buy things sometimes), so I dried off the soap with a towel and I put it back in there. It worked though. I think with continued use it could lead to better looking skin.

Does it Work: OH YEAH! Its very gentle and it doesn't strip my skin. It leaves my skin feeling fresh, and clean.

How Do I Use It: You can use this a number of ways. You can use it to prep before using another cleanser, alone, or after using a prep. I have done all three and it works for all three ways. I usually use the Orange Essence Facial Cleanser and then use this. First I wet my face with warm water and then lather the bar with my hands. Then I apply the lather to my face in a massaging circular motion. For added cleansing you can lather it onto a wet cloth to scrub gently with. Then I use cold slashes of water to rinse. Then I use the Wild Lettuce or Garden Tomato toner to get rid of some of the residue and then apply the Carrot Day Creme or an emollient if I am going to bed.

Cost: I don't know. I got it in a starter kit

Is it Worth the Price Tag: I beleive it would be

Would You Buy it Again: Yeah

Where to Get it: Online at www.burtsbees.com or you can get it in other online stores. You can also get them anywhere starter kits are sold such as Books-A-Million, Bath and Body Works, or Cracker Barrel. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2004 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Penny1484

this does smell like grass, but i happen to be one of those weird people who like veggie smelling things, so i actually dig the smell. however, i was not impressed overall. it made my skin feel dry and coated with a residue at the same time. it did nothing whatsoever for zits. i am using it as a body wash now just because i love the smell so much and was heartbroken at the thought of throwing it out. i got this in a sample, thank god i didnt pay money for this. i would not repurchase.Penny