September 21, 2014 | 1898 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Gardenia

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2010 11:34:00 AM More reviews by zazie33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Gardenia by Chanel is a misnomer: at best, she smells like a generic blend of jasmine-y white flowers;

Gardenia by Chanel is no brainy type: she giggles, and squeaks, and jumps incoherently from one subject (note) to the next;

Gardenia by Chanel is puzzling: she talks with a sugary lollipop stuck into her mouth, and you can’t get what she is saying. You just get struck by that toothachingly sweet breath of hers;

Gardenia by Chanel is no old money: she doesn’t know the price of things, and has way too much cash to waste…

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 11:33:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Chanel Gardenia is a slight and sweet white floral composed of jasmine, tuberose, muguet, and orange blossom with tentative base accents of musk and vetiver. It's as fragile as spun sugar and it seems almost a parody of a gardenia rather than a recreation of that impossible note.

So wispy is Gardenia that it might be called dream-like, and like a dream, it is gone upon waking. In the world of fragrance, "waking" is that point of cognition where neither you nor anyone else can smell your fragrance.This is what happens when evolution occurs quickly and ebbs into mild white musk . Gardenia feels like a depiction of headspace technology, with both jasmine and orange blossom sanitized to the point that associated indolic or soapy notes would be vulgar and are thus engineered out.

Gardenia the note is given a brief opening green remark and then is silenced as if it were a difficult and fussy thing. After it quickly subsides, you are presented with jasmine, the pale ice green of muguet, and then orange blossom, each in turn. The opening is sweet and girlish, making you wish it would head in the direction of a false femininity by way of an antithetical base. The base to my nose is mostly vetiver and musk, but they are handled as gently as the top has been. After half an hour, you're left with a mild orange blossom scent with a demure earthy-musky base. Within that base is a strange clay note that I find appealing and which is probably some tangential effect of the vetiver. The lasting power is terrible and the sillage is non-existent, but that complaint might be applied to all of Les Exclusifs with the exception of Cuir de Russie.

The weak presentation just about demands the purchase of the behemoth 200-ml bottle. It needs to be reapplied every couple of hours in the manner of a cologne, but the need for reapplication occurs just when the secretive base begins to mature the scent beyond the girlish opening. It's short on substance, politely, but a is lovely summer scent nonetheless. I might seek out a 100-ml "decant" and use it up between now and August. continued >>

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2010 8:19:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

I've been enjoying a lovely sample given to me by a sweet person. I do love this scent even though it is not really a gardenia per se. You do have to stretch the imagination a little ....
Who cares- it 's a pretty green floral as only Chanel could come up with - green green ,sweetish - like green buds of flowers. I will take this scent for what it is - a light green floral ,elegant and ethereal . Fresh,enchanting .
Could just be the next signature scent............

May 2011- this is a continued review for the parfum extrait.
Concisely, this smells exactly like the Les Exclusifs version EDT but just stronger in concentration. For those in love with those top notes, you'll be glad to know they linger much longer and therefore the parfum version is extra pleasing. It retains that freshly picked flower bud delicacy to perfection, in the way only Chanel can do so. Fresh ,a little spicy - just lovely stuff.
Am I the only one who is lemming those 900 ml extrait bottles ?

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2010 9:11:00 AM More reviews by KKAI

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the edt version.
This is a light, crisp and elegant floral. I smell jasmine more that gardenia. It is very unlike Monyette or Kai which have a tropical feel. This one is ideal for a professional environment. Staying power is poor, tho. Nice but not special enough to purchase a full bottle.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/13/2010 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Mhyzon

I LOVE Gardenia but Chanel just didn't come through with this one. This perfume smells amazing but is undetectable after about 20 minutes. This perfume dissipates so quickly, so I feel that it's a total waste of money. So disappointing :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2009 12:43:00 AM More reviews by razzamartaz

My favourite perfume of all time. Why didn't I buy more at the time. I am upset that Chanel will not be making it, such a shame.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 8:43:00 PM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Very "retro" floral. The opening reminded me of oleander, which I detest. Then the sharp oleander note abruptly disappeared, leaving a buttery white floral. I did detect a note which reminded me of Poison, but I don't know if I'd have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2009 4:42:00 PM More reviews by tessture

A gardenia without the sickly sweet tropical mothball notes! It's almost candy-crisp on me, sweet without any sugar at all. Just lovely, clean and beautiful. Points off for not lasting, though. It just vanishes so darn quick.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2008 7:05:00 PM More reviews by Silaira

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is one of the very few gardenias I can wear. Very green upon first spray, it soon warms up and settles into a subtle, sweet and elegant scent on my skin. I love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2008 5:36:00 PM More reviews by forgetfuljones

Oh, wow. I'm so in love with this. I usually hate florals, but this is so different. Yes, it's definitely floral, but it's still fresh, sweet, and clean. This doesn't scream funeral parlor like so many other florals I've tried. I honestly couldn't see how anyone wouldn't like this. This is my first Chanel fragrance. I've always stayed away from them because I've always thought they were stinky. lol I would have given this a 5, but it literally lasts an hour, if that. But I don't care. This is still great, in my opinion!