December 20, 2014 | 1712 users online

Treatments (Face) - Renova - Renova Rx cream

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 3:18:00 AM More reviews by Catloveschanel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this .o5% from medsmex.com for $14.95. I have had no problem with credit card fraud, but I do appreciate the warning from the other mua'er. This is Retin-A with cream. I have oily skin, but apparently it has turned a bit dry, as this dries my skin out a bit, but not much. It doesn't give me breakouts, either.

Since I used the Neutrogena Dermatologics Retinol (QVC) for a year for $65 a pop, was my skin just ready for this? I was shocked at how little trouble I had. I applied a pea size on clean face, after waiting 30 minutes after cleansing.

Used this for two weeks, at dinner a friend said, your 11 lines are gone from between your forehead. I am using this on my eyes (on the orbital bone) and it is helping. Someone 10 years younger than me mentioned I had no jowel lines. The rough skin between my eyebrows has disappeared. I am quoting all these folks as it is so hard to be objective when one is wanting it to work.

Peeling: I had no problem with peeling until I put a foundation on... Then 15 minutes later I would be peeling at the corner of my mouth. This is tricky - it looks like everything is working.

I am going to list the foundations that don't work for my own sanity. Tonight I was speaking at a banquet, and my bf told me my skin was flaking on the side of my mouth right before I went on. I checked in the bathroom and it was horrid. I believe the problem is the Smashbox Primer. I used Shiseido Liquid Compact tonight, so it better not be that, as it is my most expensive makeup ever (because it is so little and costs so much). I whipped out my Chanel Lift moisturizer and it went away.
Whew...
3weeks: My Chanel Blanc Primer which I used to use for a foundation shows the peels as whiter, but it is better than most. Cosmedicine tinted moisturizer works pretty well.
3 1/2 weeks: My lips are plumper, but they're chapped. Used toothbrush, mixed up sugar and olive oil and exfoliated my lips and face. Have to make sure to rinse thoroughly as sugar will leave bacteria. Had to use toner to get it all off. My face is as soft as a baby's tush.

I have to wear something, as there are two red areas by the sides of my mouth.

Jojoba oil is not helping me out with this, as a moisturizer. Shiseido BioPerformance Super Refining Essence feels good and stops the peel, but it was gwp, so I have no idea how much that costs.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2009 2:52:00 PM More reviews by goldfish5555

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm only a couple days into using this so I'll have to update later. That said, everything seems to be going really well. I used Trenatoin in the past and it was kind of a nightmare -- flaking, peeling, redness -- bleh. Who needs it? My skin is fine, but I have some light wrinkles around my eyes. What I'm liking about this so far is it seems to be making my skin FIRMER which is something that most creams/exfolliants really can't do.
My routine: Use (kind of a big) pea sized dollop every night. Apply 20 minutes after washing face. After applying I put on Eucerin Q10 anti wrinkle sensitive skin cream (the heavy one). I think this is helping keep the flaky redness at bay.
UPDATE: The results of this are pretty amazing. I had the beginning of fine lines around my mouth... GONE. Wrinkles around my eyes are smoothing out. I think the results really kick in after a few weeks from what I'm seeing.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2009 10:09:00 AM More reviews by CaroSaid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Renova is great; My skin looks fantastic and I'll never be without the stuff again. However,
***DO NOT*** ORDER FROM MEDSMEX.COM!!!! I just had to shut down my credit card account due to fraudulent activity made right after I purchased my Renova from them (which happened to be 2am my time). I had ordered from them one two prior occasions without issue, so I was definitely caught by surprise. Most of the charges were in insignificant amounts made to venues with Spanish names, but one for an "AsiaAir" or something was made for around one-hundred dollars. I read here that some people have had issues with them, but it wasn't until I started looking around on other boards that I realized that they have a history of problems. When I wrote them and complained they replied with a very nice letter insisting that they have been in business for eleven years and that their website it secure. However, that doesn't appear to be the case; other boards list a pattern where people will order from them and then find bogus charges made to international dating sites including Match.com. Luckily my bank was understanding and alerted me, but now I'm at a loss as to where to order my Renova on the cheap. If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2009 9:16:00 PM More reviews by whisper

(ORIGINAL REVIEW on Oct 12, 2009): I'm very lucky to have skin that's in pretty good shape as it is, but ever since I started using Renova my face looks and feels flawless. I really cannot emphasize enough how amazingly this product works. If you have sensitive skin, you might notice some redness and dry patches in the beginning stages of use, but if you follow the directions carefully you should be OK. And the results are definitely worth the wait, so keep it consistent is all i can say! I have been using Renova for 2 whole years (and a couple months) and my skin just keeps on looking fantastic. It feels like velvet, seriously. (UPDATED on Aug 11, 2010): This is sort of a re-review I guess, just to reinforce what I previously stated about this product. So, it will soon be approaching 3 years that I've been consistently using Renova (0.02% cream), applied every other night (alternating mostly w/Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Night Cream, along w/a couple of other no-frills moisturizers which I routinely rotate depending on the season..) and I could not be more thrilled w/my skin!!! (STILL!) Renova has revolutionized my skincare regimen completely. I truly feel like I've cultivated an entirely new complexion thanks to this stuff. It's so effective, and the best part is, the longer you use it, the better and better conditioned your skin becomes. Nowadays, the only time I ever get a facial blemish of any kind is if/when I try a new cleanser or cosmetic item that doesn't agree w/my skin, or, very occasionally I'll get a hormone-related pimple––but I'm telling you, it's a RARE occurrence. (btw when I do feel a pimple coming up, I spot treat using Duac gel or BenzaClin and it prevents it from even surfacing; this works extremely well if I'm diligent about application and catch it early.) My mom also uses Renova, she is 60, and she looks about 12-13 yrs. younger than her calendar age (granted, being Korean helps, because Asians tend to age more gradually imo). She uses it on her entire face (even around the eyes) and down her neck and chest too. Her skin is amazing. It's seriously something to aspire to. Even when she doesn't wear an ounce of makeup on her face, her complexion is just glowing and totally supple and glistening. It almost makes me excited to get older, lol. (OK maybe that's going a BIT far! hahaa) But I do think it's a wonderful example––or 'proof' if you will–– of how outstanding a product this really is. I'm 28 yrs old, and I am using it religiously. It has absolutely transformed my skin tone & texture. I can't say enough good things about it. Just so my skin doesn't become too 'comfortable' w/any one product, I do alternate w/other products (basic drugstore moisturizers, nothing 'fancy') and I sometimes will take a 2 wk 'vacation' from the Renova altogether. Then I find that when I do start back up again, I get a resurgence of visible 'glowiness' (very similar to the earliest results I first had when starting the cream way back when). So I think it's just good to mix it up. But overall, I use it consistently. I even travel w/it, it's that important to me!!! (The tube I'm using right now is a little more than half gone; it's been to 4 different countries already, hehe!!) So whether I'm on a 'break' from it or actively applying it, my skin reaps the benefits. I have very few genuine "could not live without" products (beauty-wise anyway). Renova cream is one of them for sure. Amazing little mint green tube <3

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2009 2:39:00 PM More reviews by gypcc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First let me say that I would not purchase this again, because I refuse to pay that much for an RX (the pharmaceutical companies make more than enough as it is).... but HAVE purchased the mexmeds version. And while I have been trying to move to a more natural and organic approach to everything we put into and on our bodies.... lets face it... if a chemical is working wonders on my skin... I'm on that wagon ladies.

I'm seeing results after TWO WEEKS of use. I am using it every other night. Cleansing with Eucerin Sensitive Skin Cleanser on the nights I use it, and I follow with Weleda Rose Night Cream. I had one incidence of flaky between my brows (a usual culprit btw) and cleansing w/my LaRoche Posay BioMedic (HG) Cleanser alleviated that.

I am using this on my forehead, between my brows and on the parts of my face that feel like they are dull and ehhh. I am also using this on my neck & cannot use it on my chest (the redness was too much after just one application). I have noticed that the creepiness (these almost lines i just noticed) around my neck... are pretty much gone, the faint (trying to get em before they become noticeable) lines in between my brows are fainter, the most noticeable difference to me is when I apply makeup. There is clearly a smoothness that I have not felt in quite some time.

So for the long term... I'm in. I have recently turned an age (that i will still claim as 28 altho it's more like 28 for the 12th time) where I can't get by w/just a good moisturizer... This is working very well for me. I have dry skin and I've been a sunscreen queen for the past few years (wish i was smarter younger but who knew you shouldnt mix iodine w/babyoil and sit on the garage roof trying to get "tan" when you were a kid)!!!

I will update if there are any adverse reactions or if i fall off this wagon.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2009 10:31:00 AM More reviews by suzyqz1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm probably one of the few people who didn't have an amazing experience with Renova. Granted, I probably should have given it more time but I was only using samples from my dermatologist and didn't want to pay the full price. Anyway, I think part of the deal with me is that I have been using retinols for over a year now and my skin is kinda tough I guess. It feels great going on and unlike some of the other retinol products I've used (Green Cream 6 and 9 and Skinceuticals 1.0), I never peeled or burned while using it. Having said that, maybe that's why I never saw any "results". My main issue is the quotation marks around my mouth and fine lines near my eyes. I went ahead and called my dermatologist back and got samples for Retin A. I think if you have "virgin" skin, you may see more dramatic results then I did. I'm also 38 and have used sunscreen and tried to take care of my skin as best i can barring cosmetic surgery. Anyway, that's my two cents.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2009 1:22:00 AM More reviews by SandraBonita

Renova is an amazing product that I am COMPLETELY in love with. I was previously using Tazorac because my insurance covered my prescription for this for acne treatment. My facialist at my dermo office finally convinced me to purchase it for the prevention of fine lines and wrinkles even though I would pay full price of $160 for 40g. I'm using the .02% cream on a nightly basis and within a week I noticed a DRAMATIC difference. My skin is so silky smooth. My skin has never been so smooth and my primer/foundation looks great because of the fact my skin is so soft. The texture of my skin feels like fresh new skin everyday. Tazorac used to make my skin peel and made my face really dry. But the Renova has no adverse side affects. This will definitely be a staple product I will continue to use indefinitely.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2009 1:21:00 PM More reviews by erynnia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*rating will most likely change*

This is less a bad review of the product and more of a warning review for new users: I've managed to burn my face pretty badly with renova and am currently red and blotchy. I have mild rosacea and sensitive skin, but I have used other retinoids and a whole lot of AHAs during my adult life with no problems, so I figured I would be fine.

I did follow 'best practices' (sunscreen, non-consecutive nights), but after only two uses my face is really messed up. I may have used too large of a 'pea', and given my facial history I should have started much more slowly.

I will update when I am able to try again--will probably be a week or more based on current condition of skin. If you have a reaction like this, my advice is to drop ANY product you are unsure of and stick to neutral unfragranced moisturizers--many products are now burning my skin. Eucerin calming creme seems okay, as does vitamin E oil.

The moral of the story: start very small and slow! You will not gain anything by rushing it in the first few days, this is a product that takes weeks/months anyway.

UPDATE: My face has fully recovered and is much smoother now. I did a second trial 3 nights ago, much smaller amount on forehead only. So far so good. Moderation is key I guess. :)

UPDATE: On a 2x / week regimen my skin is MUCH better now. No bad reaction or redness/burning at all, and only minimal flakies that are easily controlled. My problem texture areas (middle of forehead, either side of nose) are already visibly improved. No real purging to speak of, just a few bits coming to the surface but not actually 'breakouts'. Bumping to 4 lippies. Do not overuse! Follow my example!

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2009 10:09:00 PM More reviews by tiko

I'm 47 years old and have been using Renova for only two months and already my skin is looking smoother, plumper and more radiant. At first, the Renova dried out my skin and I actually looked older! Well I'm glad I stuck it out. After about four weeks the dryness subsided and I began to see skin that I haven't seen since I was in my early thirties. It's not that I look 17 years younger than I am, but my skin is smooth and lovely and I feel good. This stuff works.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2009 11:15:00 AM More reviews by Fiona423

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have noticed a definite improvement in the texture of my skin. I can only use this every 2-3 days because it is incredibly drying. I use Cetaphil moisturizer as needed which helps with the dryness.