November 25, 2014 | 1741 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by dcalhalabi93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My experience went as follows:

My hair is almost hip length, very fine strands, but still healthy and shiny and soft because I baby it. 3 months before using Revlon frost & glow, I dyed my hair the Burgundy #48 color from Revlon Colorsilk. But after only a month it has faded into a dark auburn or sort of cherry wood color. I knew this meant that if i bleached it with the highlighting kit it would definitely pull some orange and brassiness because when i looked at my hair in the sun it was brown with a strong red/orange undertone. I had read many reviews and watched numerous reviews on YouTube about this product and found some people with a red undertone to have quite nice, blonde results, while others come out with peach colored hair. And I had read on MUA that what determined the color was if you could be brave and leave the bleach on past the "orange" stage and get to the light yellow stage which is when you would need a toner. Finally I decided to give it a go. I went and bought 2 boxes of Revlon frost and glow, one in the Honey color for medium to dark brown hair and one in the blonde color for light brown to blonde hair. My plan was to only do a balayage look on my hair so that it was less damaging and because I prefer the more modern look of balayage compared to the old style frosting look that this product is intended for. And I knew that my hair would only lift so far with the darker kit so I had planned on using the second kit a month after to lighten my hair to the correct shade. and of course, I had 2 boxes of a natural hair dye on stand-by just in case. As an experienced hairstylist, I knew that if I was going to bleach hair like mine it needed to be in the best condition ever, so I took the plunge and gave myself a thorough trim with many layers and deep conditioned it before hand. i ALSO kept some of the longer strands that I had cut off to do a couple strand tests as an added insurance (FYI, you should ALWAYS do the strand test...never never never skip that step) I mixed up 1 tsp of the powder with 2 tsp of developer from the honey kit and added it to the first cut strand and did the same with the blonde highlighting kit and applied it to the second strand, covered both in tin foil and left it for 20 minutes. ....nothing happened. I left it another 20 minutes. ....nothing happened. Left it for the final 20 minutes. ...only a slight shade or two difference was noticeable on either piece. I had to leave the bleach on both strands for almost 2 hours before I got up to a dark golden yellow color. But I washed the strands and felt them, they were still in very good condition so I decided to go ahead with the process figuring the reaction would take place faster in my own hair because of the heat from my head which is needed anyways to activate the bleach. So I mixed up the full bottle and powder packet of the Honey kit and separated my hair into the different sections according to the length of the layers, because with balayage the cut is the most important key to deciding where to place the color. And FINALLY i started applying the bleach. In the beginning I used the gloves because of course its important when handling chemicals, but the gloves provided are so overly sized that I couldn't accurately apply the bleach or cover my hair in tinfoil without making a mess of the bleach or applying bleach on my hair where I didn't want it to go. So I decided to remove the gloves (Yes....not smart I know, but I'm a hairstylist not a doctor so I cared more about my hair than my fingers lol). Everything was going great until halfway into my hair I ran out of bleach!! I was so desperate that I was bending down on picking up globs of bleach that had fallen on my floor (covered with towels of course) but even that was not enough. I had no choice but to use the other box of bleach for "Blonde" highlights. I quickly mixed it up and applied it to the rest of my hair, having a little more bleach left over because of using less bleach on the top layers of my hair. I let the bleach sit for 40 minutes and checked it. The first foils I had done were still a very golden ashy brown color so I left it on another 20 minutes and checked it. by then it was a very gold/orange yellow color so I shampooed and conditioned with the provided shampoo/conditioner (which is amazing and leaves your hair feeling so soft) After my shower I let my hair air dry and noticed the color was still a little too ginger for me. it was like a strawberry blond color which didn't go well at all with my cooler skin tone. There was almost no visible damage to my hair so I decided to lighten it a bit more on the ends only with the leftover bleach. I applied to the placed that were still a bit too orange and left it in for 40 minutes, it was lighter but still too yellow. I left it in again for 15 minutes and after checking to find a very light yellow, I washed my hair again with the second packet of shampoo and conditioner. (FYI I don't recommend double processing your hair in one day, and especially for how long I did, but my hair was in very good condition and I noticed no damage after the first go so I knew my hair could take it). I let my hair air dry again, this time putting a leave in conditioner into the ends where i had bleached. I liked the color a lot better the second time. It was more of a gold color (Like legit gold ....jewelry gold) and it still felt soft and silky and nearly no split ends/breakage in sight. Was I happy with the color? No. It is still a bit too brassy and orange for my liking, but I bought a good toner shampoo and I will wait a month and try again with either the blonde kit or the platinum kit to achieve more of the light blonde (Shakira blonde) tips I was hoping for. For now it is livable and my family and husband really like it. It smells AMAZING! One lipstick off because of the HUGE gloves which forced me to burn my fingers....OUCH

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by CrystalChild

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my first time ever highlighting my hair (salon or otherwise).

I have medium brown hair naturally, and it was (mistakenly) dyed dark brown. Whenever I've tried to tone or change the color of my hair it always comes out VERY dark, so I figured it would take a long time to lift color out of my hair with this product.

I only pulled hair through some of the holes, and very small amounts of hair, at that.

I processed the bleach for about 50-55 minutes, and it ended up lifting to a dark golden blonde. Very pretty, and not brassy!

My highlights aren't very noticeable, because there aren't many of them and they are so thin, but I'm planning on buying another kit and giving myself some more!

The only thing I wish could be improved upon was the cap. Unlike others, I didn't have an issue getting my hair through the cap with the plastic hook. BUT I did have problems getting the highlights to touch my head. Maybe I have an odd head shape... lolz. But I tied the cap as tight as possible and i thought I was getting close to my root, but some of the highlights were off a bit.

Overall, I highly recommend this project and I will be posting a picture soon :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used this product before and my highlights always come perfect, I have dark brown hair that salons never ever know how to bleach, I have been even to a "master colorist" at Aveda with no luck, she turned my hair orange-red and even after two toner sessions my hair was still clown-like.
I used this yesterday and left the mixture for 20 minutes with a plastic bag on (test swatch cooked much slower) my hair was orange at that point, washed and put a light ash brown for 30 mins, got the perfect caramel highlights. Probably 40 minutes will turn my hair blonde if I ever want blonde highlights.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by daphne_76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this product yesterday, and I am so impressed with my results that I am leaving a review.

About my hair: wavy natural dark blonde/light brown, level 6/7. As is common with this hair type, my hair was light blonde when I was child and darkened into adulthood. Starting with Sun-In in my teens, I've had color/highlights in my hair for my entire adult life.

Of course, maintaining those beautiful blonde highlights up until now has involved regular salon visits and hundreds of dollars. Either that or various shades of orange and garish yellow, damaged tresses, and even more $$$ in color correction with failed attempts to brighten my hair at home.

Enter chronic illness, a poor economy, divorce and absolutely no extra money to spend on beauty extras. Much youtube research and more not-so-great experiments with home coloring have finally led me to succesful applications of beautiful at-home color.

First step, an all-over application of deposit-only of Clairol Radiance Colorgloss gently blended out my old highlights, a few grays and other not so great color attempts (mixed 8N and 10N for the right shade of dark blonde). This formula leaves my hair with a beautiful, shiny multidimensial base without weird ashy or red tones. It's also very gentle on my already over-processed hair.

I let that settle for a couple of days, then used this Revlon Frost and Glow kit in the blonde color to "ombre" balayage a few highlights mostly around my face and the sides (watched a few youtube videos for the technique).

I was SO stressed out that my hair was going to pull orange/yellow, yet again. But the highlights lifted quickly to a BEAUTIFUL light beige blonde. A couple pieces did take a little longer to process, but I just applied a little heat to them with a blow dryer and they caught up with the others. I washed my hair with a purple toning shampoo afterward (Clairol Shimmer Lights), just to be safe, and then used the shampoo and conditioner that came with the kit.

I'm in love with the end result and can't believe I was able to get my hair to look this way at home. My hair has a gorgeous multitonal but uniform base, and the highlights add the perfect amount soft brightness around my face. I was terrified of more damage to my hair, but it's soft and well-conditioned. I was finally able to achieve a customized look that has been inaccessible to me due to the cost/ difficulty of finding a stylist who really understands what I want. My mother said it looks like I just came from a high end salon and now wants me to color her hair. :-)

I you'd like to add some lightness to your hair for summer, this is a good place to start. I'd recommend watching a few tutorials and starting out really subtle. Happy coloring and the best of luck!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

One of the very few kits I love. This is easy to use and you can use a little or a lot and put it aside for another use. Has gloves and bleach and developer all inside. It's very simple and straightforward.

If you aren't into looking for the bleach separately in the beauty supply stores and want just an easy basic kit, this is it. It's better than the L'Oreal one IMO.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 8:13:00 AM More reviews by TheMickster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this kit on and off for years. I used to pre lighten my very dark brown hair with a caramel hair color and then pull it thru the cap and add highlights. It always came out so light and beautiful. I now use it to touch up my ombré. It works great to lighten my dark brown hair up to a yellowy level. After I always have toner handy to get the yellow tones out and get very light almost platinum highlights.

A few important tips (I am a stylist): always poke holes in the cap first. It makes it way raise to pull it thru. Always wear a plastic cap (can even be a plastic grocery bag) under the cap that comes in the kit. This ensures that there will be no bleach leakage (causing spots) if you accidentally punch the hole too large or rip it. Always follow up with a toner if the result is too brassy rather than re bleaching and damaging your hair. Never put this product over already bleached hairs. This can severely damage you hair over the long run, try refreshing the brassiness with a toner and only applying bleach to roots.

All and all a great product if you are careful with it!

Will continue to purchase when I don't feel like spending a few hundred at the salon.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by LydiaGee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Last summer I used Revlon Highlighting Kit for medium to dark brown hair. The kit included a cap with holes and a utensil to pull your hair through and apply the hair dye. In my experience, the cap was annoying therefore I discarded it and tried to apply hair dye to frame my face. My virgin hair (black) came out blonde which was great. The hair that was previously dyed dark brown came out orange, as expected. So, I recommend this product for people who want to dye their virgin (chemically untreated and uncolored) hair. I do not recommend this product for anyone who wants to dye on top of brown, red, or auburn hair dye. Also, I had to condition my highlighted hair more often because the dye is drying...

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2014 11:42:00 AM More reviews by jenniro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm realy upset with my results. I have what I consider light-brown hair and I bought the kit for blonde highlights. I SHOULD HAVE bought the honey kit. My highlights came out very obvious and streaky. It looks unprofessional and cheap. I found the cap very hard to use. Pulling out the hair was a challenge because of the 2nd layer of plastic under the cap. It was best to go back and poke all of the holes before putting on the cap. The hook was terrible and sometimes pulled out way too much hair, or sometimes pulled out just 2 strands of hair. I left the bleach on for about 45-50 minutes. I did have to go through an orange stage. Because the cap was so weirdly fitting on me, I wasn't able to make the cap very tight. Therefore, the highlights stop about an inch from my scalp. My husband noticed how weird this looks. Now I think I have to dye over the whole thing. I wasted time and money and I am embarrassed by how this looks. If I had purchased the honey kit, perhaps my review would be much different.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:50:00 AM More reviews by Aclark7351

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is an awesome product! I have really thick, dark brown almost black hair. I used the cap provided, and I did the "Face Framing and Crown"option. It took me about 45 minutes to pull the hair through the holes in the cap-it is a little tedious but once I got the hang of it was fine. I left the dye on my hair for 35 minutes and then washed it out with the provided shampoo and conditioner. The result was natural and well placed highlights in nice honey/blonde/caramel color. My only issue with this kit is that if you follow the guided holes in the cap, you end up with too many highlights too close together near your ears. You can't see them too much when my hair is down, but they are obvious with my hair in a pony tail. Next time I will pull out less pieces of hair in that area. Problem solved!

I will totally buy this and use it again in a few weeks when mine fade! I got my kit from Riteaid and it was about $12.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2014 7:55:00 AM More reviews by velvet202

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been highlighting my hair for over 10 years and have probably tried most products on the market with more or less good results. This is by far the worst.
I have dark brown, fine, wavy, shiny hair that takes about 20-25 minutes of highlighting to get nice golden-blonde highlights. I hardly ever use a hair iron and only highlight about every 2 to 3 months, so my hair is in great condition. I left Revlon Frost & Glow in for over 40 minutes without much success. The shade is a dark orange-brown even though it looked lighter covered in highlighter cream. I could have lived with the result (or lack thereof) but what made me want to write an honest review is that my hair is now dry and coarse with no shine and it looks like it'll take a long time to get it back to its previous condition. The non-brassy agent might be a good idea but it's nothing you can't buy for less than five quid in any department store.
I will not repurchase and will not recommend.