Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 3% Facial Wash

Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl, Betaine, Glycolic Acid/Arginine, Propylene Glycol, Allantoin, Panthenol (Pro Vitamin B5), Quaternium-15, Methylparaben 6/11/09

on 4/7/2012 4:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I bought this after using MUAC's glycolic acid peels (which I love) thinking that anything with glycolic acid would be a welcome to my skin. Unfortunately, this didn't do much for me.

Before I switched up my skin care regimen, I used this in the morning in the shower. I didn't see any kind of improvement in my skin when using this. In fact, this gave me a bit of a weird rash on my face. Not a red, bumpy rash but some kind of irritation. I developed small bumps on my cheeks that wouldn't go away until I stopped using this. I have alligator skin that isn't easily irritated so I have no idea why this would irritate my skin.

The product itself lathers well and isn't terribly drying, but it smells awful. The smell doesn't linger, but it still smells funky. Overall, this is just yet another PTR product that didn't do anything for me except leave me a little bit poorer. I ended up chucking this in my drawer of cast offs because, in my opinion, this product doesn't help my skin.

on 1/9/2012 10:41:00 AM

I am in my late 30's, have blackheads that I can never seem to totally get rid of and large pores. I'm also starting to get some fine lines.

This product is fantastic. I use a pea sized drop and one of those face brushes with a handle. I think the combination of the exfoliation from the brush and the acids in the product help reduce the blackheads and improve the overall look of my skin. I have combination skin, when the weather is cold and dry, I use it once a day and use a more gentle cleanser for morning.

I know the $32 price tag seems high but the bottle lasts me 9-11 months when I use the face brush and a very small amount of the product.

on 11/29/2011 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

If you want fast results, this is the product for you. I've used it only 4-5 times, and my skin is definitely smoother. I've tried so many different skincare products and only 5% of them gives actual results like this cleanser. My skin is so smooth and it's fading my post-acne marks! Hooray!

It does dry out my skin, so I regulate how often I use it. I use it in the shower so that my pores open up and it can sink in. Any cleanser is supposed to sit on the skin for a minute or so, so that it actually does something. If you wash it off right away, you're wasting your money.

Make sure to use a sunscreen while using this product, though. Glycolic acid makes skin more sensitive to the sun.

on 10/22/2011 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used this cleanser for about a year, thought I'd try something else, and am ready to go back. It helped clear up my blackheads and whiteheads, evened out my skin tone and wasn't too drying. Although I know that cystic acne is hormonal, I was hoping against hope that some potion out there could help clear it up so I switched to MD Forte which made my skin look great for about a week -- minimized pores and cleared up my pimples -- and then my skin started breaking out again and my pores weren't tightening anymore. I'm going back to what I know works and this is it.

on 6/27/2011 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought this because the Sephora store I went to said they were no longer carrying DDF 5% glycolic face wash, so they recommended this. I really don't like it. It made me break out and made my skin super dry and rough. I have used DDF before and never had the same problems I'm getting from using the PTR 3% wash. It's just not as good.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS!! I had this given to me by my dermatologist because I had terrible acne. I basically tried everything in the grocery stores, I tired all the kits and pro active. I even bought stuff from commercials that are on at 2 in the morning. nothing worked. then i got this along with 2 other things and my skin was clear! ive had acne since i was 9 and ive always been so self consience because of it. now i dont even have to wear makeup. this may make your skin a little dry but make sure to put on moisturizer. its the best thing for you. this product gave me confidence. PTR FTW!!! :)

on 1/4/2011 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This stuff is working like a charm for me. I happened upon it in my sister's bathroom while on a visit home. I used it in the morning to cleanse for about 4 days in a row, and then followed up with my regular Body Shop Vitamin E moisturizer. I knew it was working because in those 4 days I had NO breakouts, and that was a big deal for me! I immediately ran to Sephora for a (generous) sample when I got home. When my sample ran out, I decided to buy a full bottle. I have dealt with acne my entire life. As a teenager it was quite severe, and throughout my adulthood it has been better but still problematic. My skin has never fully been clear, I seem to always be dealing with 1-2 breakouts at a time. Since I've been using this cleanser for the past 3 weeks I have seen ONE breakout. So, I am quite pleased with this product. I have since started using this cleanser every other morning with a facial brush (think of it as a manual Clarisonic, lol), and I also started using the 10% Glycolic Moisturizer every other night so that I only use 1 glycolic product each day. Bear in mind that my skin is quite tough and non-sensitive, as I have grown accustomed to using harsher acne products over the years. I can see how this product would be drying to many people. However, if you properly and thoroughly moisturize it shouldn't be a problem. If you struggle with acne definitely give this a try. Get a sample or two from Sephora to test it out. Heck, you can even buy it and return if it doesn't work out for you. The price is hefty up front but you get a large amount that will last a long while. If you think about it, this is actually cheaper than most HE foundations that people use to cover up their acne. I am so happy I stumbled upon this cleanser!

on 2/20/2010 12:02:00 PM

I like PTR, but this guy broke my out some what... will not buy again. DDF glycolic face wash is much better... did not break me out and leaves skin feeling soft and clean... but slighty ichy, use a moisturizer

on 2/20/2010 5:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

An esthetician recommended this to me. I used it for quite some time but finaly admitted to myself that it was waay to drying for me. I can see how it works for other people though, and it might feel somewhat expensive, but it lasts for a long time.

on 1/16/2010 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is the stuff right here! I was using Pro-Activ after I started breaking out major on my cheeks. The Pro-Activ wasn't holding it down and I was still getting cystic acne on the cheeks. My best friend who works at Ulta recommended this to my brother and I started using it as well. I've been using it for probably a month and a half / two months. I honestly haven't broken out except for a little pimple on my chin i got from sleeping with my make-up on. My skin looks a lot clearer, my pores look smaller.

It's a little on the drying side so if you have dry skin, I'd say be cautious, if not, just make sure you use moisturizer after. Oh and I only use this at night time and once in a while during the day post workout.