September 1, 2014 | 1208 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Madrague Duo

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2009 11:20:00 PM More reviews by pocky

Madrague looked so promising in the pan but it turned out to be my first (and hopefully only) NARS dud. I am in the NC 20 range as far as my coloring and although I have lots of yellow undertones, I am also not "golden." The lightest shade in the Madrague duo had too much yellow for me. I find that I need a base shade with a touch of pink or peach, like MAC Brule or Grain, to brighten up my eyes. For reference, MAC Paintpot in Soft Ochre is too yellow for me. The darker Madrague color was also not very flattering for me. My eyelids looked very blah and almost dirty.

However, the texture of this duo is very nice and it's one of the few matte NARS duos. Not that I don't love the shimmery duos as well but it's always nice to find great matte eyeshadows.

This may very well have been all about personal preference and so maybe I really did look fine with Madrague so I'm giving this duo a good review but I will not be repurchasing. Who needs to repurchase NARS eyeshadows anyway? No one ever finishes those things! Anyway, yellow-based foundations are good but yellow-based eyeshadows are bad for someone with my coloring.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2009 1:10:00 PM More reviews by Geekette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Great natural for yellow tones (NC 20). AND THEY ARE SO SMOOTH! HOLY CRAP. ok... but seriously it feels like ... weird I know baby powder. Yes and that is a good thing. No crease, with UDPP it didn't budge.. and god knows I rub my eyes and all that. Its just amazing. The colors in the photos make it look a lot darker than it really is. Has the classic NARS packaging that I LOVE!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2009 5:23:00 AM More reviews by dotix

These shadows are amazing... my eyes, but better! I'm not really sure how to describe it but it's a great neutral color for me and i'm NC30. They last long like any other nars shadows and they never crease. They are expensive but it's nars... It's my go to eyeshadow pan when I'm too lazy to think about what to wear .

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2008 8:10:00 PM More reviews by bubblegarm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this little package of goodness, the darker colour is a perfect crease colour - it goes with ANYTHING. the lighter colour is a good highlight - they work very well together - I usually just add some eyeliner and mascara for an everyday look - my hazel eyes just pop. I sometimes mix it up with some fun brights. I do think however that you will find a dupe at mac - its a matt taupe colour - however all my mac colours are in a palette - i usually carry this around with me for touch ups - very handy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2008 1:53:00 PM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I never buy duos because I find I like one color but not the other. In this duo, I like neither color. The light one is too dark as a wash for me and the darker one is just downright blah on me. Maybe it works great on blue eyes. It does nothing for my hazelish green ones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2008 6:24:00 PM More reviews by lil_me

I bought this online at www.narscosmetics.com for $32. The Nordstrom near my residence does not carry NARS, so I have to either go to downtown San Francisco or buy online. I chose to make my purchase in the privacy of my own home.

It promises:
Same longwearing crease resistant formula as the NARS Single Eyeshadow, in a series of uniquely paired color combinations. Worn together or alone, all eyeshadows can be applied sheer or built up for a more dramatic effect. All powder eyeshadows can be used wet or dry.
Richly pigmented powders
Effortless blending; coordinated in fashionable pairs
Multifunction: use as eyeshadow, eyeliner or on eyebrows

What I think:
A high quality pigmented neutral colored shadow that is great for everyday wear. It truly is a multifunctional item. I even used the lighter shade as a concealer on a minor blemish. I brushed a bit around my nostrils to cover some broken capillaries. It worked beautifully. The formula is so smooth and soft. It goes on effortlessly. No creases!

It is kind of on the expensive side, but I think this will last a long time. I'm still trying to get use to the fact that there is no applicator included.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 4:23:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Encased in NARS' signature sexy rubber packaging is the easiest, safest, everyday eye ever. Madrague combines an ecru color with a light beige-tan. Both colors are neutral, matte, somewhat sheer, and very silky in texture. Sweep the ecru shade over your lid, then apply the beige to your crease and blend. If you want to tone down the beige, then just add a bit more of the ecru color on top and blend. The colors will melt together for a subtly 'done' look that enhances your peepers rather than hogging the spotlight.

What makes this duo stand out is the excellent texture. The cream color is transparent rather than chalky so that it subtly smoothes and brightens without looking flat, dull or powdery. And the beige is a totally foolproof crease color (though dupable).

In all, this is a boring, but high-quality and very serviceable duo. I would recommend for the sake of convenience, but if you already have basic beige and cream eye shadows (NARS' own Lola Lola and Edie are basically Madrague in separate pans), then there's no need to purchase this...unless you're like me and are convinced you need every neutral eye shadow ever manufactured by M. Nars.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2008 6:32:00 AM More reviews by PrincessScuzzlebutt2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Very basic matte neutrals that look good on especially light skin tones. They are soft and pigmented. One side is a cream color and the other is a very light tan/brown. They seem to really compliment blue eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2008 2:12:00 AM More reviews by ohtwicemyburn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really enjoy this duo. Very basic neutrals, but so versatile! I can build up the brown to make my blue eyes pop, I can brighten my eyes with the cream and All About Eve, and I can pair the two together for a clean, matte look. The texture is so silky, it just glides on.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2008 11:16:00 AM More reviews by reneeg323

I bought this in my neverending quest for the perfect neutral shadow duo. The colors are neutral and, as other reviewers have commented, are best described as coffee and cream. I wasn't overly thrilled with the duo when I first purchased it and put it away. I brought it out again yesterday and finally figured out the problem. It is a great duo for warm skin tones. I am not a warm skin tone so this leaves me looking worn out and tired. There is a considerable yellow undertone to both colors which is not flattering to my skin tone. Perhaps, it would work better paired with some other colors, but frankly, I would rather look for another neutral duo that better suits my cool tones.