Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronze Concentrate

4.5

Water/Aqua, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Alcohol, Anthyllis Vulneraria Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Lysolecithin (Hydrolyzed Lecithin), Beeswax/Cera Flava, Fragrance/Parfum (Essential Oil), Citral, Linalool, Farnesol, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Eugenol, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Algin, Arachis Hypogaea (Peanut) Oil, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex/CI 75810, Iron Oxides 5/29/09

on 10/2/2012 6:17:00 PM

I wanted to like this, I really did. But it just didn't work well for me. I have medium toned skin, and no matter how I worked with this (and I'm pretty good at working with products) it just looked bad. I'm not sure how, but it managed to be both too muddy and too red at the same time.

I have combo/dry skin, and I tried this blended with a moisturizer, with a sunscreen, and just a little bit on its own, dabbed on with a stippling brush. I tried it just on the high points of the face, I tried it as a contour, and I tried it all over. Nothing looked good. It either disappeared completely or it looked ruddy/muddy (again, not sure how that happened)

I have ended up using it on my legs, but like the other reviewer mentioned - this is pretty expensive for using on the legs :) For the price, I wouldn't repurchase.

on 9/19/2012 8:18:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I'm supposing this works better on those who aren't ultrasuper pale..
I can make it work, but have to blend it in a lot and also on my chest/neck to not be apparent.
I do like using it when I want to look a bit more golden.
I also love the scent.
I have found it looks great on my legs :) (it's kinda pricey for legs, though!)
Overall, for the price, I guess it's just not for me.

on 9/12/2012 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

edit 2: i just wanted to put up a comparison, as someone below had said that Bonne bell bronze gel is an equivalent product, for less money--i own that one too.
The bonne bell comes in several colours, the Hauschka only has 1 shade.
Comparing to Golden Tan by Bonne bell, the Dr. H one is
1. less reddish (looks more natural) 2. spreads better 3. has a strong herbal scent. 4. Nice dewy sheen (bonne bell looks normal, like your skin texture)
The Bonne bell one makes me look a bit sunburnt, the Hauschka one has more of a caramel tone. The Bonne bell one doesn't expire so soon as the Dr H one.
They both look natural, i would prefer the Bonne bell one only as a blush/bronzer, and the Hauschka one as an all-over tint as well, or to mix into moisturizer/foundation. The Hauschka one wins for me by a slight margin. They are both great products.
...

Edit- got 2 compliments on my skin 2day, one of them from my brother, who didn't notice when i had put pink streakS in my hair! He said i looked 'rosy' and my skin looked smooth, i put it down to this! It imparts a very natural bronzed colour with a sheen, no shimmer or anything. It looks so very pretty, and makes my skin feel soft. Packaging is terrible, price exorbitant, and there IS a relatively quick expiry date. This looks very pretty mixed into sunscreen, or moisturizer, like a Greek tan look (jennifer aniston). I also love it mixed with a serum (e.g EL ANR) and used all over, and powder on top.

on 6/25/2012 11:51:00 AM

I know, I know, I should just embrace my pale, I know.... Which I do for 9 months out of 12. But for 3 months during the summer, having a tan makes me happy. It makes me feel youthful, breezy and effortless. So does a girl have a cake and eat it too? By using Dr. Hauschka's Bronze Concentrate. I mix this with my SS of choice (using the correct 1/4 tsp + a couple of squirts) to cut the pastiness caused by the SS. This allows me go without foundation, using only a concealer on blemishes etc. For someone with blotchy skin and hyper pigmentation, this is a true miracle. And in the sweaty summertime, anything that allows me to cut a couple of layers out of my makeup routine is worth its weight in gold.

Yes the initial outlay makes this seem expensive, but it will certainly last longer than other bronzers and self tanners due to its highly concentrated state.

One gripe - the packaging. I wish it were more travel friendly. Recently I decanted into a clean Josie Maran travel size SPF 40 bottle - much better! Its not even full but am sure it will last me an entire summer. I haven't had to repurchase for 2 years now but I certainly will when I run out.

NB: my BFs who is African American uses this religiously with his SSs to cut that pasty look that is even more pronounced on his complexion than on mine. He doesn't look like he's wearing anything when he does this. Which is everyday!

on 6/4/2012 7:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

DH Bronze feels nice during application and blends well with sunscreen or moisturizers. I blend mine either with La Roche Posay sunscreen or DH Rose Day Cream Light. It does have a tendency to leave a greasy feel and look on my oil prone skin. I counter, though not always successfully, the oiliness with primer and some powder.

If I use this product with powder foundation then the daily oil isn't as big of an issue. However, if I use this with liquid foundation then there seems to be a continuous battle throughout the day with oil. As for the bronzing effect, I can't really see much of a difference, especially after makeup application.

Overall, I think this is a decent product but probably a better fit for someone with drier skin. I will use this bottle, but will likely not repurchase. The product does tend to feel nice and the ingredients appear safe and healthful for the skin. For me, a product with attributes such as 1) feeling nice on the skin and 2) nourishing ingredients simply do not warrant another purchase. Perhaps this is something better suited for wintertime for those of us with oily skin.

I hate to sound negative about this product since I am a huge fan of DH products and their ethical commitment. I will give it a try in the cooler months and may change my mind, but for summer it's not a good fit for fair skinned oil prone gals such as myself.

on 3/27/2012 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I ordered a bottle of this on ebay after reading all the amazing reviews on MUA. I was looking to pare down my morning routine, I'd been applying retinol cream, tinted moisturizer, sunscreen, bronzing powder...too much! So when I ran out of the tinted moisturizer I ordered this. It was impossible to find in the store in my city for some reason, so I ordered on ebay. I've used it every day for a week and I love it! I put it on after my retinol cream, kind of pressing and rubbing it in. It gave my skin a lovely glow that lasted all day, was easy to wash off at night, didn't break me out or irritate my sensitive skin. It smells fine, nothing strong or chemical etc. It has no shimmer, doesn't streak or look unnaturally orange. I'm so glad I took the advice of MUA and got this.

on 2/22/2012 11:56:00 PM

I love this, but love Dr. Hauschka translucent makeup even more (see my review). The two products work well together. I find that bronze concentrate works best mixed with a daub of moisturizer (and/or translucent makeup) and lightly patted onto the face. It has a wonderfully natural brightening effect on the skin, and I feel it is appropriate for all times of the year to exude a healthy glow. The price is kind of absurd but I love how it looks on my vanity and it makes my sometimes dull skin a luminous quality that is priceless.

on 12/28/2011 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I am brown skinned so i dont need this, however, i bought it for my hubby that would complain about his fairness and doesnt have time for solariums. He was skeptical to use it at first but now he is hooked! it looks so natural on him that no one would every think he has anything on his face, he just looks dewy and sun-kissed 365 days a year now. He's probably been through about 6 bottles now and i know that ill have to keep buying it until we move somewhere sunny and warm where he can color from the sun but for the meantime.. This is really good.
No oranging, no streaks, no shimmers. Hallelluja.

on 12/13/2011 2:24:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

Wow wow wow wow wow. Simply amazing stuff. No nonsense, totally natural, shimmer-free, versatile. Smells fresh and magical. I mix it half and half with my moisturizer (MyChelle Pumpkin Renew Cream) after washing my face (that's my minimum morning routine), then put more on my cheeks and brow creases (several layers on the latter), and sometimes my forehead and bridge of my nose. Just gives a flawless, sunkissed/dewy look. I also like to pair it with vaseline for shine on my lids for a more balmy summer look.

The pump is obnoxious in that one pump gives you WAY more than you would use in one application, so there's a learning curve to getting the right amount without wasting any (it's hard to get back in the bottle if you get too much). Also, there's usually a little plug of dried product in the opening, which is bothersome. Other than that, I really love the packaging.

I adore this stuff.

on 11/7/2011 7:31:00 AM

I use this product every day. It makes my skin look like the skin I wished I was born with.
For a sort of matt look in spring / sumner I mix a few pure drops in the palm of my hand with Rose day cream light. Which looks a bit to blotchy in autumn / winter , so then I use it with the Toned day cream, but then not pure but mixed with water (I always keep a mix bottle with 2/3 product and 1/3 water). Mainly because the toned day cream is otherwise to hard to handle.

I'm pleasently surprised that I never get any blackheads anymore since I use this products. Not even when I forget to take it all off in the evening.

Popular Bronzers