October 30, 2014 | 1648 users online

Shampoo - Paul Mitchell - Super Skinny Daily Shampoo

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2013 7:53:00 AM More reviews by HTsButterfly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

**This is for both the Super Skinny Shampoo and Daily Treatment** Wow!!! I've been a hairstylist for a little under 10 years and with all my knowledge about hair care, I have never been super picky about my shampoos and conditioners. As long as they cleaned my hair after shampooing and left my hair soft and easy to comb out after conditioning, didn't leave my hair feeling dry and smelled good, that's all I really ask for. But this shampoo and conditioner is by far THE WORST I have ever tried. I'm not one to return items but this is definitely going back! I knew with the first wash that it felt like the shampoo had coated my hair with something that felt waxy or another example is the feel of having not washed your hair for a day or two and then just wetting it. It has that weird waxy, dirty, stiff feel to it. And even my hands felt like they had something coating them. My hair felt stiff and sticky right after rinsing out the shampoo and I thought "Hmm, maybe the conditioner is going to be the miracle product here" Umm, no. The conditioner was no better. I couldn't even run my fingers through it, even with conditioner still in my hair. HORRIBLE! My hair felt no better dry and styled and had little to no shine. Super skinny serum on the other is fantastic! I've been using that for a couple of years now. It's great. Very disappointed with the shampoo and conditioner. Never again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 11:19:00 PM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A couple of years ago, I ordered this Paul Mitchell Super Skinny shampoo/conditioner set in travel size bottles on sale from Drugstore dot com. I thought I'd give this hair care line a try, because I'd never tried it before.

After one week of using the Paul Mitchell products, they made the bottom 12 inches of my very healthy hair break off around the 2 and 3-inch mark (broke off 2-3 inches from my scalp). My hair started breaking off in huge amounts, so I stopped using the Paul Mitchell products, but it was too late. Most of my hair broke off over the next couple of days. It clogged up the large main water drain that is underneath the foundation of our house and we had to spend $300 for a plumber to come and get the gigantic hairball out.

My long, thick, shiny, naturally-straight hair had always been my best feature. Therefore, it was pretty traumatic for it all to break off without warning because it made me look awful - I looked 10 years older. And that's not just my impression -- every stranger feels okay about coming out and saying this to me when he or she looks at my photo on my driver's licence or passport -- such as when I'm going through security at the airport, or when I am buying a bottle of wine at the supermarket. A supermarket clerk even said this last week to me, even though my jaggedy damaged hair has now grown down to my chin in the last 2 years and it looks SO much better than it did when it first all broke off.

My hair grows slowly, so it has taken 2 years to get all the broken pieces to chin length.

At the time that I bought these travel size bottles of the Paul Mitchell products, I did NOT know that Drugstore dot com was not an authorized seller of those products. I thought that they were such a big company and so well-known that of course they would stick to the industry rules and I assumed that they would only sell products they were authorized to sell. I later found out that this is not so - they are not authorized to sell Paul Mitchell products - and the fine print on their website states this. Apparently there is a big grey market in salon-level hair products. If you don't buy the products from authorized sellers (like bricks-and-mortar hair salons), the manufacturer won't guarantee the product's quality or purity.

Lord knows what was actually in the bottles I got. I cannot imagine that Paul Mitchell products would be so terrible, because they have a good reputation.

I do not really blame the Paul Mitchell company for ruining my hair, but even so, I will never try another one of their products again, just in case the shampoo that made all my hair break off was authentically their product.

My advice is to never buy salon haircare products from an unauthorized retailer! And there are many of them around now - supermarkets, big box stores, most of the major internet retailers -- but in most cases they are not authorized by the manufacturer. You can check on the manufacturer's website to see who the authorized retailers are.

===
In case you are interested, this is what happened after that:

I made appointments with many stylists/salons in my town, asking for advice. I tried nearly everything at the beauty supply store, and what the various stylists/salons recommended to me. I tried shampoos/conditioners, treatment packets, special protein treatments done at the salon, styling products, leave-in conditioners, various oils.

I was getting to the end of my choices, and I tried about 5 of the product lines of Redken, but nothing worked, until the Redken All Soft range.

The All Soft shampoo and conditioner were *magnificent*. The All Soft made my hair shiny, soft, and decent-looking. (To make it merely decent-looking, like anyone else's normal discount-brand-shampooed hair would look, was a miracle.)

Then, last year, Redken REFORMULATED the All Soft line. They took out avocado oil and added argan oil. They changed other ingredients too. The new formula of All Soft was terrible on my hair. It made my hair dry, brittle, frizzy. It made my scalp oily and it made my forehead break out in pimples.

In a mad rush, I spent about 2 days trying to locate bottles of the old product in about a 30-mile radius. I was able to scrounge up a couple of sets of the old shampoo/conditioner. I've been using those precious supplies sparingly for the last year, but I'm now out of it.

Therefore, I have gone around the last 3 weeks and tried all kinds of brands, I've gone to salons, I've gone to drugstores. Nothing is working for my hair. Not even the highly-rated Pureology line, which was really bad for my hair last week.

A lot of formerly-loyal Redken customers were very upset about the change in the All Soft formula. I don't know WHY they changed it. They could have brought out a new product line that contained argan oil, if having a line that featured it was so important to them.

I've tried to find what other people are using as a replacement for the old All Soft, but no one really says what they have moved on to.

If anyone has found something comparable to the original version of Redken All Soft, please send me a message via this website!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2013 11:19:00 PM More reviews by PerfectManicure

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I used the shampoo and conditioner together, so I'm going to review them both as "one" product - in other words the cumulative and over all effect of this duo:

The good: smells like apples.
The bad: It really weighs your hair down and not in a way that simplifies straightening - it felt as though my hair took longer than normal to dry and even when dry it was hard to run my hands through. It feels as though the hair is heavily coated from the outside in with something waxy.

Basically, I was thrilled when this was finished (because I really don't like to waste anything if I can help it) - but I will never (ever!) be repurchasing. Thankfully I purchased the set on sale - otherwise I'd be really upset about wasting so much money on a bad product set.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/1/2013 10:07:00 PM More reviews by AmCam28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I received this as a gift & I agree with other posters' criticisms. I have thick, straight, fine, oily hair that is below my shoulder blades. I hoped I'd have a positive experience, but no such luck. I used this with the corresponding conditioner and they left my hair slightly dry and tangly. It feels like either, maybe both, of the shampoo or conditioner didn't completely rinse and it made my hair take forever to dry. I'm happily returning to my Dove shampoo & conditioner.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2012 7:10:00 PM More reviews by PISALISA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Hey, look! I just conditioned my hair with an Elmer's glue stick! Yes, this conditioner is THAT bad. As a matter of fact, it is the worst product that I have ever used on my poor hair. I've followed the simple directions of apply and rinse. Gave it 3 tries. It left my hair impossible to manage, sticky, and a lot like gummy hay. The frizz was worse and it was not fixable. What in the blue hell was Paul Mitchell thinking when they let a "conditioner" on the market like this one? It also claims to
reduce drying time. Uh, no. Do not buy this conditioner! Read the reviews and see just how bad this crap is.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2012 3:07:00 PM More reviews by edendani17

There's a Paul Mitchell hair school near where I live, and before I met my stylist I would go there and get my hair cut. The last time I went in they were having a sale on their one liter shampoo and conditioner bottles. She talked me into buying the Super Skinny shampoo/conditioner duo. (She tried to get me to buy the serum, but just these two put a big dent in my pocket) So I go home, use it, and the first time I really like it! Smells good, and although it had a bit of a different texture once I dried and straightened my hair (like I didn't rinse quite all the way), it worked and I was happy. Second day, HORRIBLE. I have no idea what happened. It just felt like I couldn't rinse enough and it seemed like there was a lot of build up.

So here I am, three months later, and last night I decided to try it again. Now usually I can't put conditioner on my roots because it will make my hair super greasy, but that's how all the stylists use conditioner, so I decided to do that and just make sure I rinsed it out. Of course I was very happy with the results and it didn't seem as build-up-y, but I'm scared that when I wash my hair tonight, it will do the same thing. My only suggestion would be to put the conditioner on your roots, but RINSE WELL!!!! That may not even work.

Bottom line is I'm not super impressed. Too expensive. Dove shampoo is a lot cheaper, and works better, IMO!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2012 9:15:00 AM More reviews by futurePMpro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this line. I used the SS shampoo, lathered twice. Applied the SS conditioner, left it on for 5 minutes. I love the how soft it mad my hair and it made it easy to comb through. After that i applied the relaxing balm ( about 4 pumps) and then about 2 drops of the SS serum. I blow dried and did not need to iron. I have coarse, frizzy, unruly hair. This works great when all the products are used in conjunction. I bought the SS Shampoo & Conditioner for $20 ( each bottle is 1 Liter)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2012 8:59:00 PM More reviews by SweetKaceyJane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am disappointed. This stuff leaves my hair so dry.

It smells nice enough though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 8:05:00 PM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

The Ulta lady rec'd this and the matching conditoner to help with frizz on my fine hair. This stuff is crap! It foamed nicely but my hair had no slip after rinsing and felt kind of rough. The end result was awful using the two together, hair was weighed down but oddlly still frizzy. I don't expect miracles obviously but this shampoo and the matching conditioner were just bad. I've tried other PM shampoos and conditioners, they've never worked for me though some of their styling products are pretty decent. I returned both.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2012 1:44:00 PM More reviews by nudylipstickgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This smell good, but the preformance is mediocre at best. Glad I bought this on sale as a end of the holiday gift set because I didn't think it was special enough to deserve more credit. Got better result from suave. I didn't think my hair came out any cleaner, smoother, or dried the hair any quicker than what it claims. The bottle is the skinny, but not the price per ounce.