November 27, 2014 | 1186 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Light Elements Smoothing Fluid

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2011 8:46:00 PM More reviews by adudle00

I use this as sort of a smoothing serum once my hair is dry/styled. Works well to keep frizzies away and gives my hair a nice healthy shine. Replaced my matrix serum with this. Will definitely repurcahse.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2010 9:44:00 AM More reviews by ajay616

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Does everything for softness and nothing for shine. Used as a leave in while my hair was damp and then blow dried. My hair was EXTREMELY soft but lacked the shine that I was expecting with using a serum. Applied a little more after blow drying and still not much shine. Next day - hair was still soooo soft but lacked the shine...I have dark hair so it doesn't take much for shine to show up on my hair. Overall, pretty good product, smells good but the scent quickly disappates, I like the pump applicatior, the price is expensive for a serum but I've paid more. I will keep this product for use as a leave-in on damp hair but will not repurchase once this bottle runs out.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2010 2:35:00 PM More reviews by amnesiafaker

I really like this product, but I can see why it doesn't work for everyone.

My hair is fine and wavy, relatively long and I have a lot of it. I wash and blow it dry every other day to straighten it, and use three pumps of the smoothing fluid while my hair is still damp prior to blowing it dry. It smooths my hair and keeps it straight and shiny, and is light enough that I don't need to wash it out every day. Having used many other products (John Frieda, Body Shop, Redken, Shiseido) that promised to do the same and didn't deliver for me, I am ecstatic to have finallllllly found something that does. In spades!

While on vacation, however, I decided to skip blowing my hair out and let it dry wavy in the breeze. I applied my usual three pumps, brushed it through and headed out. When I got back to my room, though, my hair was a limp and frizzy mess...so I pulled out the smoothing fluid and tried adding an additional two pumps to my dry hair. It looked...oily. The frizz was a little less frizzy, but overall I looked like I needed a wash in the worst way. Not pretty.

So used as a styling aid this stuff is golden: it gives me my best-ever hair. But if you need a quick-fix to perfect your messy hair before you run out the door...keep looking. And when you find that elusive gem, let us all know!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by emilylee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have long black shiny thick hair. I got this to smooth the baby hairs that likes to stick out hear and there, but I should probably use hairspray instead of the smoothing fluid. The packaging is misleading as the fluid doesn't actually "spray" out of the bottle; it oozes out of the bottle and flows to wherever gravity decides to take it. It is light weight and I can imagine it giving other people the shine factor, but for me it was a redundant shine product that I didn't need. I would not buy this again, but it's a good product that I would recommend to others.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2010 1:58:00 PM More reviews by elysium9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This serum works great for my coarse asian hair to make it smooth and shiny. Also love that's that not that greasy like the Brillant serum. I've used it for several years and love it. Wish they would make a travel size so I can take it on the road with me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2010 7:31:00 PM More reviews by CarrieLynnJ

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Nice light shine serum. Smells good and does a great job attacking frizz and adding shine. Would I buy again? No, lots more fish in the sea to try.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2010 7:44:00 AM More reviews by qwerty12315

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I adore this product. I have very fine hair with a little frizz and some fly-aways.

How I use it:
I apply one pump to damp hair starting halfway down my hair and through to the ends. I then apply Bumble & Bumble Does It All spray and dry my hair with a hot-air brush.

Pros
- Doesn't weigh my fine hair down at all
- Greatly reduces number of fly-aways and frizz
- My hair feels soft and smooth - like I've just been to the hair salon
- Hair looks shinier

Cons
- Price

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 1:41:00 PM More reviews by coletteJ

I really love this stuff for taming fly aways and eliminating frizzies. Works great but go light on the amount of product b/c you can look greasy if you use too much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2010 1:47:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for a couple of years and love it. It is a little pricey, but a little amount goes a long way as it's quite concentrated. Plus the pump dispenser makes it super user friendly. I normally use this after flat ironing. It gives really nice shine, reduces fly aways and frizz. My hair feels smooth and silky, never greasy or limp. A worth while investment that I adore using.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2009 10:53:00 AM More reviews by sara942

I have been using this for over 5 years. I love it...I loved it more so in the first few years than now, because I think mine might actually be going bad finally.

The price is steep. That being said, it lasts FOREVER. I have been using the SAME bottle twice a week for 5 years now and I still have almost HALF of it left. I love the shine and bounce this gives me. No, it doesn't make your hair suuuuper shiny, but shiny enough to make a noticeable difference. And you only need the tiniest amount (I only use 1-2 squirts on my thick, shoulder length hair).

One lippy off for the fact that, despite using this right after I wash my hair, it still fluffs up a lot and appears dry for the first several hours. It doesn't matter if I put it in while it's damp, after it's dry or in conjunction with the flat iron--it still fluffs up. The next day though, it's gorgeous.

My verdict: buy it if you don't have fluff issues. It'll give you shine and bounce.