MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 6/14/2015 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just got into red lipstick and i heard this is a must have red lipstick in a womans makeup bag. I decided to get this, the matching lip pencil and, upon an employees recommendation due to its drying nature, the lip primer. I have seen this lipstick once before in high school, during a play rehearsal, one of the dance students showed me. I thought it was a pretty red color, but until now, stayed far away. But now since ive grown more confident in bold lipstick, decided to buy it. Very pretty color. The lip primer is a must as it moisturizes enough to make the color swipe on easier. The lip pencil is good too.

on 6/13/2015 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I love it. As I age I use less make up. Therefore I may not buy another one. But to wear this properly I first exfoliate my lips. Then I apply balm and let it soak in for a few minutes. Blot then apply Ruby Woo using a brush, blot and apply again. I look fab, very Diana Vreeland. It's a classic.

on 6/13/2015 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Sorry haters, I'll happily tug dry, loud, matte Ruby Woo across my lips for the rest of my life. I'll buy my 5th tube when my current one runs out and I won't check out dupes - Ruby Woo is the kind of red that when you discover it, you stop looking.
I wear Ruby Woo to work nearly every day, appropriateness be damned. It's a foolproof colour for my NC 42-match skin and mostly full lips. I have yet to see a woman of any skin tone who wants to wear it and can't.
Forget all that talk of its blue-based tone and it's pigmentation - you knew that already. We're talking about a kind of red that calls you to be social. #TrueStories: Random colleagues will compliment you on it in the office washroom, some woman will want to know the shade name on the train ride home, your otherwise prim cousin will want to borrow it, foreign tourists in Mumbai will want to take your picture, your friends will notice how its the only thing they can see in a badly-lit selfie and you will stand out in any group photo, guaranteed (unless you're next to Angelina Jolie, and she's wearing Ruby Woo as well, in which case: Why, God, why?!).
In practical terms, Ruby Woo is a pain - the bullet is waxy and crayon-dry, it NEEDS lip balm underneath, it WILL transfer wherever lipstick transfers (cups, necklines, people's cheeks) and it has a tendency to smear on humid, hot days. If you like the finish, you just have to deal with it, creamier formulas simply don't look as velvety, offer as much coverage or have as much depth.
I apply mine over 8-hour cream and use two layers for a full day at work. You can tone down the intensity, of course - I merely happen to be a Go Big Or Go Home type. It plays well with gloss - Chanel Exces on the centre of my lips makes it look very siren like (but way more bleeding). As with any strong red, you'll need to keep the rest of your face neutral - I even wear a thinner eyeliner and skip blush.
Ruby Woo is almost always out of stock in India, so I hunt or them at airport duty free shops. In Singapore, my boyfriend walked into a Mac store and simply asked: "What's that red lipstick all the women like?" And was handed a tube of it without comment.
I have Sephora's Always Red cream lip stain and it's close to the intensity of this colour (It stays on longer and transfers less too) but looks just a bit flatter.
If you're considering it, go buy it. Life is too short to wonder about a lipstick, you know!

on 6/4/2015 2:47:00 PM

The best matte red lipstick ever created. I don't find it drying at all. For all you whiners out there complaining how dry it makes your lips, there are plenty of glossier/more moisturizing lipsticks out there in simiar colors so before you make an ignorant review, it might not be the lipstick itself but because the type of lips you have and how you prepare your lips prior to putting this lipstick on. Matte lipstick isn't for everyone just like glossy lipstick ain't for me. Ruby Woo would not last all-day if it wasn't for its texture. If you are prone or have dry, chapped or wrinkly lips, then take a hike!

Now back to the review: the only matte lipstick on the market that is actually 100% MATTE unlike other lipsticks out there that make this false claim but ends up being a satin finish or semi-matte finish. It is such a beautiful, technicolor blue-toned (NOT pink like some "blue" red lipsticks claim to be) red lipstick. Definetely an authentic vintage pin-up girl red lipstick. My face lights up in this beautiful color. And I have cool-toned fair skin.

I hope MAC never stops making this and never EVER change the formula because a handful of people complain about its texture. Don't fix what isn't broken the first place. Discontinuing Ruby Woo would not be a wise business move.

I wish I can have a lifetime supply of this lipstick. That's how much I love MAC's Ruby Woo.

on 5/29/2015 10:17:00 AM

A little dry on the lip but the coverage is awesome!

on 5/25/2015 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Ruby Woo is probably by far one my favorite lipstick by MAC. Everything about this lipstick is perfection. Im obsessed with matte lipsticks, only thing this lipstick tends to get it dry. My suggestion would be to moisturize your lips before you apply it on. I also love how ruby woo stays on ALL day.

on 5/23/2015 11:01:00 AM

This lipstick looks so amazing on the lips, looks like velvet, every time that I use someone ask me the color and oh my good, stay for hoursss!

Out of all the reds that I own, Ruby Woo is the one that reach fora majority of the time. The color literally is what you would imagine it to be, which would be that bright vivid red that you see in vintage photos of actresses and pin ups. Think Marilyn Monroe.

Personally, for me, I love how bright it is - it's almost cartoon bright, if that would be a good way to describe it. And, quite frankly, that's what I love about this lipstick, and that's why I'm reaching for it a majority of the time.

Granted, the color is a bit drying, but as others have mentioned, it's just a matter of making sure that are properly exfoliated and moisturized before use.

Seriously, if your end up buying just one red, this one should be it.

on 5/17/2015 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

"It's slightly drying!" Yeah, but that colour though.
"It's not vegan!" Yeah, but that colour though.
"MAC are overpriced!" Yeah, but that colour though.

That colour, though. MMM! Damn!

on 5/16/2015 7:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

What a problematic lipstick!!!!

Ruby Woo is one of the most famous of M.A.C.s Lippys and for a good reason. the colour is retro red and very flattering on most. it's also long lasting, doesn't feather like most reds and you can eat, drink, kiss...etc without it going over everything.

now why is that? because the formula is so dry it's impossible to get it on your lips unless you apply a healthy amount of lip palm first. also because it's matte you'd better have perfect lips before applying it, it goes on like a tattoo and will showcase every chap and line on your lips!!!!

personally I've switched to the cooler Russian Red which suited my cooler undertone better. DON'T buy this unless you try it first, when EVERYONE on this site agrees it's dry they mean D-R-Y! so much so that it won't leave the lipstick without some help...

Video Reviews & Tutorials