MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

Out of all the reds that I own, Ruby Woo is the one that reach fora majority of the time. The color literally is what you would imagine it to be, which would be that bright vivid red that you see in vintage photos of actresses and pin ups. Think Marilyn Monroe.

Personally, for me, I love how bright it is - it's almost cartoon bright, if that would be a good way to describe it. And, quite frankly, that's what I love about this lipstick, and that's why I'm reaching for it a majority of the time.

Granted, the color is a bit drying, but as others have mentioned, it's just a matter of making sure that are properly exfoliated and moisturized before use.

Seriously, if your end up buying just one red, this one should be it.

on 5/17/2015 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

"It's slightly drying!" Yeah, but that colour though.
"It's not vegan!" Yeah, but that colour though.
"MAC are overpriced!" Yeah, but that colour though.

That colour, though. MMM! Damn!

on 5/16/2015 7:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

What a problematic lipstick!!!!

Ruby Woo is one of the most famous of M.A.C.s Lippys and for a good reason. the colour is retro red and very flattering on most. it's also long lasting, doesn't feather like most reds and you can eat, drink, kiss...etc without it going over everything.

now why is that? because the formula is so dry it's impossible to get it on your lips unless you apply a healthy amount of lip palm first. also because it's matte you'd better have perfect lips before applying it, it goes on like a tattoo and will showcase every chap and line on your lips!!!!

personally I've switched to the cooler Russian Red which suited my cooler undertone better. DON'T buy this unless you try it first, when EVERYONE on this site agrees it's dry they mean D-R-Y! so much so that it won't leave the lipstick without some help...

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

I purchased just the Matte finish (not Retro Matte) of the Ruby Woo M.A.C lipstick, but only because my lips get fairly dry, and I'd rather not look like a crusty barnacle. I love this lipstick to death. A very vibrant color, adds a pop of color to an outfit, and I feel this is a shade any skin tone can pull off! When I run out, definitely running to a M.A.C to repurchase!

Ruby woo is my problematic fave.

I have probably 5 matte red lipsticks and I love them all, but ruby woo remains my favorite simply because the color is so deep and beautiful. When applied correctly the super dry matte texture is also gorgeous, but because it is SO matte it presents some problems. After applying this for the first time and sitting around for a few hours in class, maybe drinking some water, I find that it is worn off in the center of my mouth (embarrassing) and chunky and flaky around the edges. I was super disappointed, as I had heard amazing things about ruby woo and what a great luxurious product it was. Eventually I learned you just have to be careful when you apply it. Now I exfoliate my lips with a toothbrush and slather them in rosebud salve and let them soak it up while I apply the rest of my makeup, line the outside and fill in with a pencil (a cheap nyx one) and apply ruby woo in the center and blend out with my ring finger, layering a bit depending on how intense I want it. Done this way it is beautiful and lasts for hours! Highly recommended.

on 4/29/2015 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I can NOT be without my ruby. Even though it can get very dry at times it is my favorite. There is no way you can wear this lipstick and not receive compliments all day. Very bright and vibrant.

on 4/29/2015 5:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

i really wanted to love this lipstick since so many good rave about it. but unfortunately the shade doesn't suit my complexion and it's very very drying :(
Can't even swipe without lip balm underneath.

on 4/7/2015 11:51:00 PM

Really great matte red lipstick. Product is pretty drying and can bleed. Would not recommend applying without lip liner. I've worn to a party where... lots of drinking was involved... and I was worried about my lipstick all night but it stayed put really well given the situation. Although I would not try reapplying unless necessary, it gets pretty clumpy on the second application.

on 4/7/2015 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

What a perfect red! Joined the MAC party a bit late, but i'm glad I started with this. I'm NW 35 for reference, with a yellow-toned complexion. This color pops out as the perfect accessory to brighten up my face. I have the retro matte version, which goes on smooth, but can be a bit drying. However, it doesn't seep into your lip lines, or become uneven. You can touch up after 4-5 hours or after you've eaten, but the color stays fresh and deep. Truly recommended for women with a wheatish complexion.

Mac's best lipstick especially out of the retro mattes I dont like any of the other retros but ruby woo is classic it stands out and in my opinion its not a serious red its more playful because up close its a bright cherry color but its crisp, bright and looks and wears crisp n clean no lip liner needed although I do sonetimes use the ruby woo liner with it I get a lot of compliments on this lipstick and im not a lover of red lipsticks but I wear this more often than any of my other macs because I can go in public and not worry that it smeared or faded or ended up under my bottom lip it stays put so its a winner in my book.

Popular Lipsticks