December 20, 2014 | 1278 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2013 11:07:00 AM More reviews by mixed12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in love. I have always had really bad acne prone skin and just recently gotten over an overwhelmingly bad breakout last year. Well late into the summer I noticed that my face was starting to flare up again so I started using proactiv with only mild results. While shopping in my local whole foods store an employee mentioned to me that her daughter recently broke out really bad and after trying this product it cleared up drastically. I was a little apprehensive at first, especially with all of the oils in the product. Most people that fight with acne know that oils are a no-no for acne prone skin...but after just two uses of this product I noticed a difference in my acne. I've been using it for about a week now and my acne has cleared up. I will keep you guys posted if I run into any problems but so far this product is god sent.

Update (5/24/14): I have been using this product for a number of months. It is still effective but I realized that I needed to use a toner to help tighten my pores and for added cleansing. Since I am more comfortable using natural solutions on my face, I have been using Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel as a toner. I also use Neutrogena On The Spot Treatment all over my face for the benzoyl peroxide that it contains. I do this regimen twice a day and it has worked wonders. It has not dried out my face and I have noticed that my pores has tightened, less wrinkles, and blemishes are disappearing. I hope that this regimen can help someone else because fighting and dealing with acne is a horrible ordeal. I understand the struggle....but either way please remember that you are still beautiful. :-)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2013 5:20:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

I have been using this face wash for several weeks now, and I have come to really love it. I use 2 pumps, rub it into my face, and then I take my wave, and clean in circular motions for a few minutes. I use this every single night (and then mornings i use cetaphil- which is a bit more gentle. I also use an exfoliator twice a week- once in the a.m. and once in the p.m.). This wash works REALLY WELL. Before i started using it, i would use pure tea tree oil as a spot treatment on my breakouts. I had such good luck, that i wanted to add this to my regimen. Just to clarify too, for those of you who are not having the same luck- be patient and give it a good week-week and a half before you throw in the towel... this is one of those products that can make you break out at first, and your skin appears to be worse, before it gets better. Dont give up on it... when i forst started, i broke out in places i never break out... i got frustrated, but i kept with it and now, i love it. i am so glad i kept with it, because this product is wonderful, and never fails to give my skin exactly what it needs. After I use the wash, i follow up with the toner, and the cream in this product line. The toner is derived from fruits and smells amazing! it put some on a cotton ball and rub all over my face- like any other toner. I use it at night, and the face cream on top of the toner- after it has dried. I give it four lippies... the cons of this product? its really hard to find... the only place i know that sells it is Lunds, nowhere else, and many of the times they are sold out. Also, the price is a bit much. After you buy the face wash, toner, and the cream- your looking at about $50.00- which is a bit much for a drugstore brand. Nevertheless, I still buy it, because i feel its worth every penny. Give it a try... it works awesome on combo skin- that can be so hard to find good products that work on...

rated 1 of 5 on 9/13/2013 4:54:00 AM More reviews by sennnn

Bad product. I get break out a few days after I use this product!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/13/2013 4:26:00 AM More reviews by samlharris11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand how this makes peoples skin dry out.. It makes me so oily with the tea tree oil that I really don't even need lotion. I tried this to use as a regular cleanser the days I didn't use my mario badescu glycolic foaming cleanser, but that didn't work out for me. It made me break out so bad, with cystic acne along my jaw line and little white heads on my cheeks/forehead. I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I really didn't like it, at all. It literally feels like putting oil on your face, whcih i love facial oils, but not tea tree oil. Makes my skin go bazurckkkkk (if that's a word). I got it at my local top foods, which has turned into haggen or something like that. it's like 11 or 12 bucks. And for the price, i'd rather throw out three or four more bucks for my mario badescu cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by nanamisan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pros: favorite cleanser to clean makeup brushes or makeup in general. This stuff strips. I use it sometimes when my face is crazy oily and/or horribly broken out and it does help. I would never use this twice a day, I would never use this in the winter. But it's definitely become a staple in my bathroom. It does not break me out but it probably would if I overused it and didn't moisturize.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by drivesl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

There is no cleanser that leaves my skin drier and more stripped than this, but it is oddly kind in that my acne is slowly fading on it and no other cleanser that's gentle does as good a job (like Annemarie Gianni aloe herb cleanser, You Can't Zit Here, simple cleanser, and the many I've tried.) I don't like that it has drying soap of Castile and the very comedogenic Coconut Oil as its top two ingredients. I do like that it's organic and has jojoba oil. I am getting small bumps on my forehead and a blackhead where I don't usually get it, I partly blame this cleanser and partly bee yummy skin food which seems to break everybody out.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2012 6:55:00 AM More reviews by kelkelkel87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Good organic cleanser (tea tree oil presence can be smelled at every application) for oily skin.

Makes my face feel really clean and i love that feeling.
Does not dry my skin at all as i have oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 8:18:00 PM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

**this is a review I posted on my blog**

Desert Essence is a brand I have only seen in two places (physically): Sprouts Farmers Market and Vitamin Shoppe. There are 2 honest reasons why I bought this face wash: Because it was on sale [told you I love sales (from what I can remember It was originally at 8.99, in sale for 6.99 @ Vitamin Shoppe)]. Secondly, because I wanted to try out the brand. I have never ever purchased anything from Desert Essence. Thanks to the internet I read loads of reviews about this product with mixed emotions. Because my face is as oily as the worst oil spill you can google about, I said to myself "What the hell, if it doesn't work, I can always return it".
Before I get to the juicy review let me tell you about this product. It has 8.5 fluid ounces. Comes with a pump. Has ALL and I mean ALL natural ingredients. No parabens, no mineral oil, no Sls, and the list goes on and on. According to the official dessert essence website it claims
" NEW! The extract of Hawaii’s fragrant awapuhi plant brings additional softening properties to this gentle, but effective cleanser already rich in soothing extract of goldenseal and essential oil of chamomile. Eco-Harvest® Tea Tree Oil leaves a clean that feels oil-free, and with regular use, helps improve your skin’s texture and radiance".

Better Nutrition Best of Beauty Awards, 2009

My THOUGHTS

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. It claims exactly what it promises. I love how my face feels super clean. It really takes the dirt of my face. Beware! If you have open sores or acne that is healing, YOU will feel the burn/sting sensation. NOW, I don't mind it. TO ME its disinfecting the wound and will help to heal it faster. To some, this may be a complete turn off. Some reviews I read around said "it dries your face". You know what, that is true. But you see I WANT my face dry. I want the oily layer of my face GONE. It does a fabulous job doing that. So if you have a "normal, normal to dry, or "sensitive" face. Then this product is not for you. Desert Essence makes other face washes for those particular skin types. I personally like to rotate my face wash. I have a generic "neutragena" one, this one I am reviewing, Cetaphil and a few bar type face washes. My only issue I have with this product is the pump. For some reason the soap dries to this film, and even after I clean the pump it still would not pump properly. So I had to buy a travel size bottle with a pump to pour the product in. But that's my only issue.

My advice? Check websites that carry this product and see if there is a sale that way You can save a few dollars. One more thing, they have a mega 32 oz bottle as well for 14 dollars. Once I run this one out, I am going to purchase the big bottle.

Again, this was a surprise find. I really don't purchase with an agenda (because it has the finest ingredients). But my goodness, this was one hell of a positive surprise!
It has Holy Grail quality and Natural Beauty ingredients wrapped into ONE! Highly recommend!!!!!!!!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2012 4:49:00 PM More reviews by ALE515

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I switched to all natural products after having a bad skin reaction to an ingredient that's in everyday drug store products. I wanted to love this product, but this made my face break out, and become rough and red. On the other hand, my shoulders and back like it. So now I use it for skin clearing body wash. Be aware that this product is very liquidy. It has the same consistency as water, so be careful.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2012 6:02:00 PM More reviews by loulee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to like this cleanser so badly but it was just too harsh for my sensitive/acne prone skin. I used it five or six times and started experiencing redness and stinging on my cheeks and around my eyes. I loved the scent, the texture and was even starting to like the squeaky clean feeling afterwards. I will definitely keep it around for when I need a deep cleaning but there is no way I could use it as my daily cleanser. I don't think it's a bad product, it definitely gives a hardcore cleaning; just a little too industrial strength for my skin. If you have very oily or non-sensitive skin, I would definitely give this a go. Inexpensive, natural and does the job. I noticed a lot of reviewers complaining about the pump but it wasn't too much of a problem for me, just pick it up and aim the pump nozzle into your hand and it's less of a mess.