April 19, 2014 | 1592 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 1 of 5 on 9/13/2013 4:26:00 AM More reviews by samlharris11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand how this makes peoples skin dry out.. It makes me so oily with the tea tree oil that I really don't even need lotion. I tried this to use as a regular cleanser the days I didn't use my mario badescu glycolic foaming cleanser, but that didn't work out for me. It made me break out so bad, with cystic acne along my jaw line and little white heads on my cheeks/forehead. I don't know, maybe it's just me. But I really didn't like it, at all. It literally feels like putting oil on your face, whcih i love facial oils, but not tea tree oil. Makes my skin go bazurckkkkk (if that's a word). I got it at my local top foods, which has turned into haggen or something like that. it's like 11 or 12 bucks. And for the price, i'd rather throw out three or four more bucks for my mario badescu cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by nanamisan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pros: favorite cleanser to clean makeup brushes or makeup in general. This stuff strips. I use it sometimes when my face is crazy oily and/or horribly broken out and it does help. I would never use this twice a day, I would never use this in the winter. But it's definitely become a staple in my bathroom. It does not break me out but it probably would if I overused it and didn't moisturize.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by drivesl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

There is no cleanser that leaves my skin drier and more stripped than this, but it is oddly kind in that my acne is slowly fading on it and no other cleanser that's gentle does as good a job (like Annemarie Gianni aloe herb cleanser, You Can't Zit Here, simple cleanser, and the many I've tried.) I don't like that it has drying soap of Castile and the very comedogenic Coconut Oil as its top two ingredients. I do like that it's organic and has jojoba oil. I am getting small bumps on my forehead and a blackhead where I don't usually get it, I partly blame this cleanser and partly bee yummy skin food which seems to break everybody out.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2012 6:55:00 AM More reviews by kelkelkel87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Good organic cleanser (tea tree oil presence can be smelled at every application) for oily skin.

Makes my face feel really clean and i love that feeling.
Does not dry my skin at all as i have oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2012 8:18:00 PM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

**this is a review I posted on my blog**

Desert Essence is a brand I have only seen in two places (physically): Sprouts Farmers Market and Vitamin Shoppe. There are 2 honest reasons why I bought this face wash: Because it was on sale [told you I love sales (from what I can remember It was originally at 8.99, in sale for 6.99 @ Vitamin Shoppe)]. Secondly, because I wanted to try out the brand. I have never ever purchased anything from Desert Essence. Thanks to the internet I read loads of reviews about this product with mixed emotions. Because my face is as oily as the worst oil spill you can google about, I said to myself "What the hell, if it doesn't work, I can always return it".
Before I get to the juicy review let me tell you about this product. It has 8.5 fluid ounces. Comes with a pump. Has ALL and I mean ALL natural ingredients. No parabens, no mineral oil, no Sls, and the list goes on and on. According to the official dessert essence website it claims
" NEW! The extract of Hawaii’s fragrant awapuhi plant brings additional softening properties to this gentle, but effective cleanser already rich in soothing extract of goldenseal and essential oil of chamomile. Eco-Harvest® Tea Tree Oil leaves a clean that feels oil-free, and with regular use, helps improve your skin’s texture and radiance".

Better Nutrition Best of Beauty Awards, 2009

My THOUGHTS

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. It claims exactly what it promises. I love how my face feels super clean. It really takes the dirt of my face. Beware! If you have open sores or acne that is healing, YOU will feel the burn/sting sensation. NOW, I don't mind it. TO ME its disinfecting the wound and will help to heal it faster. To some, this may be a complete turn off. Some reviews I read around said "it dries your face". You know what, that is true. But you see I WANT my face dry. I want the oily layer of my face GONE. It does a fabulous job doing that. So if you have a "normal, normal to dry, or "sensitive" face. Then this product is not for you. Desert Essence makes other face washes for those particular skin types. I personally like to rotate my face wash. I have a generic "neutragena" one, this one I am reviewing, Cetaphil and a few bar type face washes. My only issue I have with this product is the pump. For some reason the soap dries to this film, and even after I clean the pump it still would not pump properly. So I had to buy a travel size bottle with a pump to pour the product in. But that's my only issue.

My advice? Check websites that carry this product and see if there is a sale that way You can save a few dollars. One more thing, they have a mega 32 oz bottle as well for 14 dollars. Once I run this one out, I am going to purchase the big bottle.

Again, this was a surprise find. I really don't purchase with an agenda (because it has the finest ingredients). But my goodness, this was one hell of a positive surprise!
It has Holy Grail quality and Natural Beauty ingredients wrapped into ONE! Highly recommend!!!!!!!!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2012 4:49:00 PM More reviews by ALE515

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I switched to all natural products after having a bad skin reaction to an ingredient that's in everyday drug store products. I wanted to love this product, but this made my face break out, and become rough and red. On the other hand, my shoulders and back like it. So now I use it for skin clearing body wash. Be aware that this product is very liquidy. It has the same consistency as water, so be careful.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2012 6:02:00 PM More reviews by loulee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to like this cleanser so badly but it was just too harsh for my sensitive/acne prone skin. I used it five or six times and started experiencing redness and stinging on my cheeks and around my eyes. I loved the scent, the texture and was even starting to like the squeaky clean feeling afterwards. I will definitely keep it around for when I need a deep cleaning but there is no way I could use it as my daily cleanser. I don't think it's a bad product, it definitely gives a hardcore cleaning; just a little too industrial strength for my skin. If you have very oily or non-sensitive skin, I would definitely give this a go. Inexpensive, natural and does the job. I noticed a lot of reviewers complaining about the pump but it wasn't too much of a problem for me, just pick it up and aim the pump nozzle into your hand and it's less of a mess.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by sophiapirie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this cleanser a lot, it doesnt dry me out but i tend to have really oily skin. I wouldnt use this during winter though.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2012 1:34:00 PM More reviews by svaiko

Ive been using this for about 6 months, day and night and it has helped my skin. It keeps my skin clear, however, it doesn't prevent my hormonal chin acne around my TOTM. Also It does not seem to help with enlarged pores or blackheads. It cleans off my makeup remarkably well and my skin is squeaky clean afterward. it is strong stuff and very watery, however, I dilute it with about 30% water and put it in an empty foaming hand soap dispenser (comes out of the dispenser as a foam) and it takes care of both issues. Overall, this is my go to cleanser until I find something that works better for me. PS. Also cleans makeup brushes well!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2012 1:13:00 PM More reviews by mermanda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've been using this every night for about three years to remove my makeup. It leaves my skin feeling clean and not tight. I have acne-prone skin and am using Retin-A -- I don't find that this face wash irritates my skin and it is not overly-drying.

Things that aren't so great about it: It is somewhat messy to use, though, because it shoots out as liquid and it is very difficult to travel with it. It stings REALLY BADLY if it accidentally gets in your eyes and if you accidentally get some in your mouth -- you will be shocked at how terrible it tastes. Not a problem if you don't eat your face wash I guess. ;)

I have repurchased this many times -- including the very economical giant refill bottle. Great value.