Clean Clean

2.6

on 11/30/2011 9:00:00 PM

I feel like CLEAN reformulated their 'signature' scent at some point... I've read hit/miss reviews on this however I recently bought a bottle from TJmaxx with a slightly different (even more boring/bland bottle with no white sticker, just a text printed on it) than what Sephora sells currently but in a larger 2.14oz for about 10 bucks.

For the older bottles of this fragrance I actually don't really detect anything lemony or overly citrus. It really smells like their basic description - some kind of soap. There is a citrus note and it's quite faint but it's not an offensive smell on my skin or clothes as it's just a basic smell that kind of reminds me of clean clothes or the local laundromat dryer section. It's quite warm and actually unique in a way as it's not a common "perfume" scent but at the same time the smell isn't actually anything special or something people would notice because it's kind of a very common type of fresh smell. This scent is good for hot days, low-key days, work, or someone who is looking for a basic simple scent because they're sensitive to florals/gourmands/etc. The price is kind of ridiculous though for what it is though at retail, I feel like you'd get a similar effect if you rub your wrists and neck with a dryer sheet! That's not a bad thing but for $69+ a 2.14pz bottle.. Sadly I would not buy it again unless I see it at a discount price! For 10 bucks why not! but $70! no thanks! Luckily I've been seeing these things pop up in Marshall's/TJmaxx a lot. Try there first! The older versions smell much better.

on 11/2/2011 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really don't understand all the hateration with this scent - yes it's going to smell CLEAN and to some people that is lemony and some people that is dryer sheet and some people that is soap. Since when was smelling simply clean a crime? Since when is the smell of soap 'offensive'? Why would people want to smell like soap you ask? When they don't want to smell like sexy musk or girlie flowers or sweet cupcake vanilla. In essence, this is IMO the perfect "career" perfume. You want to smell professional yet 'good' but not offend or seduce or entice or make hungry - you want to stand alone and not let your perfume speak for you. I'm a teacher and it's just perfect. I usually wear Clean Ultimate or Pure Grace and sometimes just CLEAN original, esp. on Interview Night. I can see a real estate agent in NYC wearing Clean, I can see dental hygienists, teachers, receptionists, accountants, etc. all wearing CLEAN, as when you work with people day to day you don't want to turn off and offend -- and I can't imagine who would be turned off by a clean smell. (??) Girls night, date night, parties, social affairs I wear something else -- but not because CLEAN would be inappropriate -- there are just more exciting choices I would rather rock on those occasions. Formal affairs, clubbing, is the time you bust out the sexy and sweet. But CLEAN would absolutely be ok as well.

If CLEAN is too strong for you, CLEAN Ultimate has a little more depth, character, musk and sexiness -- but still smells clean. That may be the one for you if Original comes on too strong...and for the love of God, in both cases wait for the dry down!!! Geesh!

It's also great for lazy days and cuddling.:) But it's the quissential work fragrance. I just don't understand why an attorney would want to smell like she is fist-pumping -- or why a doctor would want to smell like flowers. Or why at a funeral you would want to smell like vanillas and candy. All I'm saying is, there is a time and place for everything, and trust me, CLEAN (or clean smelling fragrances -- like Pure Grace, Sea Island Cotton from B&BW, etc.) all have a relevant place in a woman's fragrance collection, as it is not always appropriate to "make a statement" with your cologne but rather, you make the statement while you simply just smell clean and fresh. Period.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Not for obnoxious, angel/gucci/juicy/attention-types...clean is just as advertised, y'all, and i'm not sure why sure you'd expect much more. If you do, however, there's an entire line devoted to the hatred of perfume (CB I hate perfume--he did a line for Demeter--)and would like to explore other "clean" options" outside this brand. Anyway, this is a lovely scent for those of us who enjoy smelling like laundry, and believe it or not, we do exist--and aren't boring.

on 9/16/2011 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

If you hate the smell of light citrus dishwashing liquid, you will hate this. I don't mind the smell of dishwashing liquid, just not as a fragrance on me. I don't know if I would even spritz this on my linens because I would just be thinking about doing dishes. I'm sorry, this just smells very cheap to me, not skank cheap, but scented household cleaning products cheap. At least it doesn't smell like Pine Sol (L'Aromarine Cola did that to me).

on 8/24/2011 4:51:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought this from Strawberry Net, based on the good reviews, cause I liked the thought of smelling fresh and clean and soapy. I couldnt have been more disappointed!! This doesnt smell like soap it smells like lemony cleaning products!! Like something I've cleaned my floor with. Disgusting. I sprayed some on my cardigan and have just washed it so the smell isnt there tomorrow when I have to wear it to work. Nice if you like the idea of smelling like floor cleaning products, or a really lemony smelling laundry detergent - that's not something I aspire to.

on 6/18/2011 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

i went into sephora not wanting to buy any fragrances, but saw a special section for this scent, along with a few others. the bottle is plain, and almost manish, but i was curious so i smelled it. i'm not sure what it was about the scent, but i loved it immediately. i'm not a fan of heavy fragrances, i HATE the overly sweet nauseating cotton candy scents from victoria secret, b&bw, etc. this smelled exactly what it's called...clean. when i first brought it home and smelled it i was like "ugh, it smells like a cleaning product GREAT". but i wore it anyway, and it settles into a very pleasing scent. i got complimented on it right away at work by one of my guy friends, and later on that day by 2 more people. all they could say was "you smell clean!" and one person did say i smelled girly which i resented, but whatever. i love this scent, i even spray it on myself when i'm home and in my pjs because it's relaxing. the staying power is okay, i wish it lasted a bit longer, so i bring the bottle with me to work.
update: 6/20 - i went to a family party today and was complimented several times on how i smelled, even by my awkward antisocial male cousin that cares more about video games than how girls smell. this was AWESOME for me haha

on 6/5/2011 5:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't find this scent offensive. I think it smells soapy and that makes me wonder why people buy this. I mean if you want to smell like soap why not just go to a drugstore and buy some strong smelling soap. I got a free sample of this and never wore it, so I can't really talk about the dry down. I just sniffed it in the bottle and declared it uninteresting and boring.

on 6/2/2011 2:57:00 PM

I really love this perfume...it makes me feel like I just stepped out of the shower!! i love it :)

on 5/4/2011 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I love this scent. I tend toward citrus/grapefruit scents, especially for Summer, and Clean smells like a slightly tart citrus scent to me. Smells crisp when it's first sprayed on; dry down is a bit warmer. I'm surprised at so many bad reviews for Clean, but to each his own. :)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This Clean EDP is what I expected from the Clean Simply Soap version. It just smells like basic soap, for instance, Irish Spring soap. If you're looking for a simple soapy smelling perfume, I'd pick this over the Clean version that's actually titled Simply Soap. (It's a paradox, I know!)

Popular Fragrances