Clinique Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser

3.5

Water, Potassium Myristate, Glycerin, Potassium Behenate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Laurate, Potassium Stearate, PEG-3, Distearate, Cholestryl Hydroxystearate, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Trisodium EDTA, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Violet 2, Red 4

on 4/29/2014 9:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Having been through two cycles of Roaccutane my skin is very fragile and dry, with severe rosacea, adult acne, and occasional bouts of seb. derm. (the hat trick!). Yet strangely enough, I am really pleased with this cleanser. I have been desperately trying to find a rinse-off cleanser which could deal with my (necessarily) heavy mineral make-up as my skin is just too sore to cleanse daily with cloths or cotton-wool. Unfortunately, most of the cleansers currently marketed for dry and/or sensitive skin use capric/caprylic triglyceride (a synthetic form of coconut oil) which causes me terrible cystic acne. My seb derm and acne can also be triggered by heavy oil, silicone-rich residues, and my rosacea is easily exacerbated by cleansers with acids or menthol. So my choice is very limited.

I noticed massive improvements on all three fronts using slightly chalky or alkaline cleansers, such as Burt's Bees Cotton cleanser. However, its cleansing power was only so-so, and cloths and cotton wool began edging back into my routine, and after a few months it left me with a rash around my eyes, which other MUA's have complained of. Like Burt's Bees Cotton cleanser, Clinique's rinse-off cleanser it also leaves a slightly-chalky- alkaline-residue but no where near as thick or noticeable as BB. Clinique's cleanser is far easier to move around the face, and easier to agitate with wet fingers for deeper cleansing (I understand this 'activates' the detergent). Unlike the BB cleanser,only a small amount of this baby-pink cream is required and it cleans very thoroughly and rapidly with a mousse-like texture. I don't detect any scent. I like that I can apply it to wet skin rather than rubbing it onto dry skin (the friction can be painful for skin as sensitive as mine) and the thick mousse provides a lovely cushion effect, massively reducing friction. You just lather between palms, wipe around a wet face, work it into a mousse with finger tips, then I rinse my hands and using wet fingertips, slowly dilute the mousse until it is runny, and rinse off.

I'm delighted to be able to clean my face fast and effectively - no double-cleansing, no intense rubbing, no swipes with cotton wool for 'missed-a-bits' - wonderful! There is no silicone or oily residue left behind, and the very slight 'chalky' effect dries up my acne, keeps my seb derm at bay, removes the horrible concretions caused by seb derm (which can be almost impossible to remove without cloths or acids), and cools my rosacea. The list of ingredients is relatively short and basic, with no oils or dreaded capric/caprylic triglyceride. It does not burn or sting unless I get it in my eyes (I would rather have that than the weird 'misty-eye' effect of other cleansers) and my rosacea has no major problems with it.

I can fully understand why this cleanser has received such mixed reviews, because it is a bit drying (hence 4/5 stars), although I have encountered cleansers far more drying than this, including those marketed at 'dry' skin (which this is not). I suppose the current generation of oil-based and silicone-based cleansers has changed the expectations of a cleanser for many people, but I'm very thankful there is something a bit more 'old school' like this Clinique cleanser to help those of us who simply can't tolerate the ingredients in the new formulations.

Overall, this may be useful for (a) people who want to remove makeup and sunscreen quickly and effectively with minimal effort (b) people wanting to avoid heavily oil/silicone-based cleansers (c) people with seb. derm or other kinds of skin issues who find sulphur-based products too harsh, too alkaline, or too smelly. Obviously it may not work for everyone, but if you can identify with these skin problems, trying a sample might be worth your while.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this with my skin care regimen for about two months and I am so happy with it. It easily and gently removes my makeup without leaving a filmy residue, as much as I like the convenience of wipes to remove my makeup, I have learned first hand what they do to my skin, they spread bacteria every where and leave a film over my skin, worsening my acne. I think this is a worthy investment and just a little bit does the trick.

on 4/5/2014 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Best makeup remover for me. I've been using it for many years and I love how it does the job well without drying my face at all. My skin feels so clean and soft, sometimes I use it as my regular face cleanser. I'll keep repurchasing for many years.

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

What I actually do like about this product is that it does remove my makeup easily. But sometimes I find it hard to remove my mascara so I have to be scrubbing my eyes and when I do that it stings somewhat. It is true that a little does go a long way with this cleanser but for me it does not matter because I just want to get rid of it. This cleanser always leaves my face extremely dry to the point where i find it difficult to smile. Not only that but i feel like it leaves a film on my face that i dislike and to top it off, after one use, i woke up the next morning with 8 pimples on my cheeks. I barley break out that bad but this cleanser brought out the worst of my face. I absolutely hate it. I will go back to my organic cleanser LUSH!

on 3/15/2014 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I have extremely oily and acne prone skin and I`ve used cleansers in the past that would dry up my oily skin but this one is really drying. I would only recommend using this 2-3 times a week. I have oily and acne prone skin but my skin never gets dry and it can take a lot. This product left me with dry patches that were red and itchy. It`s good for a deep clean but not for daily use.

on 3/15/2014 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This cleanser is a nice creamy formula, I would only recommend for very oily skin, as using this stuff strips your skin ccompletely leaving it so dry and right feeling. In addition to feeling as if you might break if you smile, your skin in some areas is not necessarily "clean", this leaves a buildup around my nose area which I have to use a toner or another cleanser to clean, isn't the point of a cleanser to clean my face! ?

Maybe okay for very very oily hydrated skin, but not a great cleanser and definitely not good for dry or combo skin.

on 3/9/2014 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have used this product for a good 4 years. My skin is dry and I would consider it to be sensitive.
Tube packaging is ok - can be hard to get the last bit out - had to cut the bottle. Anyway, not a major issue.
Consistency is silky with small exfoliating particles - not harsh, can be used morning and night and will not irritate. Not much of a fragrance.
This cleanser is thorough for washing off a full face of makeup - with a pea size amount. Face is left feeling clean - not tight and searching for moisturiser afterwards.
I use in conjunction with a cleansing facial brush - works 10/10 !
A tube would typically last me 6-8 months, brilliant.
TRY TRY TRY!

I used to use this in my 20s and 30s when I was a Clinique girl, until I found it far too drying, even for my oily/combination skin. On an evening I would use Take the Day off to remove all my eye makeup and then this foaming cleanser followed by Clarifying Lotion and the results were very good, but then my skin type changed and I had to ditch it. If your skin is oily it might suit you but if you're on the dry side, avoid!

on 2/3/2014 4:53:00 PM

This is one of my least favorite cleansers of all time. I received this as a gift with purchase from the Clinique counter in my mall, and it is absolutely awful.

First off, like others have said, it leaves my skin squeaky clean. I am not even exaggerating when I say that my skin makes noises. It is seriously not normal. Also, abnormal is how unbelievably dry it leaves my skin. It is awful. I have tried this at night with my Clarisonic and in the morning with just my hands, and both ways, the same terrible results.

It does lather very nicely if that is something you look for in a cleanser... And if you are able to overlook how harsh it is on your skin. It also does not have a strong scent which I know some people would prefer. I, on the other hand, would prefer the strongest smelling cleanser to this monster. And you don't have to use a lot, which would be great if you actually enjoyed using this in the first place...

I will not be purchasing this, there is no doubt about that.

on 12/6/2013 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I agree totally with the review below. This left my skin painfully dry yet when I touched my skin or moved my face to talk or whatever, it felt like there was a waxy, film-y layer of soap scum or something still on my face that I desperately wanted to wash off. Literally feels like that ring around your tub you can't stand to even look at. After using this I noticed my skin literally "squeaked", it was so dry, maybe it was a cry for help. On the sides of my face, around the cheek area my skin cracked and peeled for a few days. And yes I followed with a normal cleanser and moisturiser. It made no difference.

This cleanser is in one word : bizarre. I don't get how this is so stripping yet leaves skin feeling like there is a layer of drying wax building up on it!! I noticed it leaves a nasty ring around my sink and I have to rinse and pour water (and possibly CLR) over it repeatedly to get it to finally go down the drain. It's just awful, no wonder the Clinique counters always have big samples for free of this stuff. I'm not even sure what to use this for. . .I can't help but wonder if it's some sick joke at Clinique.