Aveda Madder Root Conditioner

4.1

Ingredients: Aqueous Purified Water Extracts: Rubia Tinctorum Extract, Clover Extract, Henna Extract, Sweet Almond Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Extract (Organically Grown), Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate (Palm), Stearyl Alcohol (Mixed Plant), Dimethicone Copolyol (Silica), Glycerin (Coconut), Behenamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate (Rapeseed), Distearyldimonium Chloride (Coconut), Babassu Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol (Rice Bran), Stearyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolzed Wheat Protein, Glyceryl Stearate (Coconut), Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride (Guar Beans), Dicapryl Ether (Coconut), Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut), Cetrimonium Chloride (Mixed Plant), Cyclomethicone (Silica), Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose (Cellulose), Sodium Citrate (Molasses), Citric Acid (Molasses), Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea, Annatto (Colorant), Basic Brown 16 (Colorant), Basic Red 76 (Colorant)

I love this product! I just bought it for the first time one week ago and have noticed such a difference. I have dark hair with auburn undertones. This has made my very subtle highlights brighter, and has really warmed up the tones of red in my hair. My hair shines more beautifully in the sun than ever! It's about $18 for a tube, but you don't need a lot and you don't need to use it every day. Now that I've achieved the color I want, I will start mixing it with my regular conditioner to maintain the color. Ladies with marble showers, be careful - the porous marble will drink this stuff up and stain almost immediately. I try to squeeze all the water out of my hair before I put this on so that it doesn't splash about. Overall, amazing product. And I'm sure it will save me money since I won't need to dye my hair as often because the red won't fade! AMAZING!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have strawberry blonde hair and was searching for something that would keep my red tones from fading. I was hesitant to use this alone because I kept reading this was a very cool toned red and my hair is more warm coppery. In the beginning I mixed this with the chamomile conditioner and I had good results but decided I wanted some more color and tried this alone. I did not find this cool toned at all and instead it enriched my warm copper tones while conditioning it at the same time. I only keep this on for 4 or 5 minutes and my hair is left shiny, detangled and not weighted down at all. I even have some very blond- white strands and was afraid that this would turn them pink but it just imparts a subtle warm red hue. I alternate with the chamomile when I feel my hair is already saturated. This is the best color depositing conditioner for frequent use I have ever used. My hair is long and fine and I feel this conditioned it without needing something extra.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I started dying my hair when I started noticing greys around my 30th bday. I just have my stylist match my natural auburn color. Normally am not high maintenance w hair but knowing how difficult red coloring is to maintain, I was recommended this conditioner to keep color fresh longer.

This stuff works if you use it in conjunction with other color safe products. I use it w Tressa Watercolors in Molten Bronze shampoo - another color maintenance product.

Tips - leave this conditioner on for 5-7 minutes, and maybe use a shower cap. I also mix some Macadamia Nut conditioner with it, as I don't feel like it's conditioning enough for my very coarse hair. It's probably fine for normal hair!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Warning - You may become very vain after using this product!

My hair is naturally dark blonde with auburn hints and I've always wanted to go redder. I've always been scared to dye it outright as I was afraid that even with semi-permanent dye I would never get it back to it's original colour.

So after hearing about Madder Root and reading the other reviews I thought I'd give it a go!

So far I've only used it once - after shampooing I combed it through my hair and left it for about 3-4 mins. There is strong herbally smell, which is nice. You do have to watch where the red goes as it does leave a residue in the tub but it washes away easily.

I blow-dried my hair as usual and I instantly noticed the difference. My hair is noticeably redder, even after one use! It has done exactly what I wanted it to do - it has really brought out the auburn shades and where my hair was the lightest there is now a subtle red tint. There is a beautiful sheen to my hair (I have to keep checking myself out in the mirror!!)

I would definitely recommend using this but I would be careful if your hair is naturally or dyed quite light blonde as you might have a bit of a shock! I've only rated 4/5 overall because of the price... it's a lot more than I would normally pay but for the feeling you get using it, I would say it's definitely worth treating yourself.

I used this years ago and loved it. I don't know if they changed the formula or what, but this time it was a disaster.

As I posted under the shampoo review, using the Madder Root line turned my hair pink. This was after a long process of trying to get the perfect red, which I finally did. So of course I wanted to preserve it! And now my hair is streaked pink throughout my coppery auburn hair, and nothing I've done has worked to remove it (this stuff is highly pigmented and sticks like glue).

Perhaps this is better for ruby reds, but if you have a true red copper, AVOID!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

My hair is a medium auburn, leaning more red than brown (TMI?) and this conditioner adds maybe 2 shades brighter a red to it (I leave it in my wet hair for about 15 mins). It's just noticeable enough, but of course you can't get the same dramatic change as a full-on dye. It may be that my hair doesn't take color as well as others', so it yield a more vibrant color on you. Also, if you are blonde, PLEASE listen when others and myself say you should not use it! It will turn your yellow gold into rose gold, without a doubt.
It comes out of the tube a tomato-red and smells simply amazing: it's very herb-y and earthy that make it unmistakably Aveda. A word on the tube-- I wish it was a stiff, cylindrical bottle like their shampoos as I feel this would waste less conditioner. Anyway, this stuff has the potential to stain anything it comes in contact with (my experience has been the tub floor and plastic shower curtain) including hands, so be sure to wash off stains with shampoo as soon as you see them. This will also stain your pillow if you sleep in wet hair and don't rinse thoroughly.. I've been there.
Okay I realize this review contains mostly precautions, but they're honestly not that big of a deal when you have vibrant hair to show for it. I recommend this conditioner and I plan on buying it again myself.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I keep my hair a bright copper, but even so, I was worried when I read reviews that the Madder Root color was too strong. I kept it on my hair for 5 minutes the first time before rinsing it out, and there was absolutely no change. I left it on for 15 minutes the next time, and again nothing. Finally I left it in overnight and it restored some color to my faded hair. Success!

A few things that I found helpful: After you shower, leave a little of the conditioner on your hair and comb it through evenly. Then go about styling your hair normally. (The conditioner's not greasy, so I never had a problem using other products with it.) Repeat this every day for a week, always using just a little bit of the Madder Root. After a week or so, cut back to every other day, and eventually, just once a week.

Always test to see how your hair reacts first! On some people, the dye seems to be quite strong. 4 stars for keeping my color fresh, but -1 for the effort it took!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have undyed mid brown hair with maybe 5% gray. My hair is undamaged and usually takes colour quite well.

This product comes in a tube, is bright red, with an earthy smell to it. It is available at Aveda salons, not at the drugstore. Sigh.

I have been using this product for years to 'redden' up my undyed hair, which it does beautifully but it doesn't really touch the gray. Not a problem for me, yet. LOL. Give me a few years and I'll let you know.

As other reviewers noted, this product will stain your hands and tub so be sure to rinse once the product is in your hair.

I leave this in for 3 minutes and get a nice reddish tint to my hair. Any longer and my hair definitely looks 'red'. I don't use this every time I shampoo, either. Partly because it is not very conditioning and partly because it makes my hair too red. So I use this every second wash and swap it out with a deeper conditioner.

I like this and have rebought it several times. I also tried the Clove one to darken my hair, which it did, with a vengance. Whoah, dark. So take it easy with these conditioners, they do what they say they do!

Lippies for smelling nice, working, and easy packaging. Lippies removed for being pretty pricey, staining my shower curtain, and not fixing those three gray hairs. ; )

Update: a great way to use this if the red is just too red - I mix it half and half with my normal conditioner. That tones down the colour and boosts the conditioning! Working great!

Before this product I didn't believe in color-reviving or color protectant shampoos and conditioners. This one actually works, it works almost like a conditioning and lightly pigmented dye. The product itself is a bright red color, it may even stain your tub if you don't wash it afterwards. I can say that this is almost the only product that I came across with, which actually restores your color.

But you really have to be careful with it. You might want to test it before you put the conditioner in your hair and wait for 10 minutes; if your red is a lighter shade, or if you are not sure about the new shade this conditioner will give you after washing it. It will not be the exact color that you first dyed, but it will definitely prevent your color from completely fading away.The first part is very critical because you will see what kind of shade you'll get only after you wash your hair and your new shade from the conditioner doesn't immediately go away, you will be stuck with it for after your next wash even if you rinse your hair like crazy. My hair color is naturally a lighter shade of brown, and I dye my hair a natural looking, soft, light red-brown color. I'm not a big fan of weird hair colors that doesn't exist as a natural hair color. So if you agree with me on that and your hair color is not very dark and if you put this conditioner on your hair and wait for 10 minutes you might get a disgusting orangey red. Everybody noticed my color change, it's not a slight difference that only you can tell. All of my friends went from "I love your red." to "What have you done to your wonderful color?"
But I've been using this for 8 months now and I've learned how to use it; so here's how I use:

I don't use it each time I wash my hair, I have another conditioner that I'd like to change with Madder Root once every other wash. I never leave it in for more than 5 minutes. Sometimes I rinse it almost right away, like in a minute or so. Other times I leave it in for 2-3 minutes.

Also another reminder: rinse it from your tub right away or it'll leave a big fat red stain. In short, if your hair shade is not dark, I strongly advise you to try leaving it for 3 minutes or so at your first wash. Then after looking at the result, you can leave it longer or shorter.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I absolutely love this conditioner to help keep my hair red. I love to do all sorts of red coloring with my hair, and this is the only product that helps keep it red by depositing red back into the hair.
It is difficult at times to keep the red even, and it will stain your hands/nails, but it's still worth it to keep it from fading to that ugly orange color.
I definitely recommend if you like dying your hair with vibrant reds. May not work so well if the dye is more purple. also, the shampoo does not really deposit as much, so you can forego that step and stick with your regular shampoo (the shampoo is not quite as conditioning).