July 24, 2014 | 1868 users online

Conditioner - Aveda - Madder Root Conditioner

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2012 7:01:00 PM More reviews by bookwithoutwords

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I keep my hair a bright copper, but even so, I was worried when I read reviews that the Madder Root color was too strong. I kept it on my hair for 5 minutes the first time before rinsing it out, and there was absolutely no change. I left it on for 15 minutes the next time, and again nothing. Finally I left it in overnight and it restored some color to my faded hair. Success!

A few things that I found helpful: After you shower, leave a little of the conditioner on your hair and comb it through evenly. Then go about styling your hair normally. (The conditioner's not greasy, so I never had a problem using other products with it.) Repeat this every day for a week, always using just a little bit of the Madder Root. After a week or so, cut back to every other day, and eventually, just once a week.

Always test to see how your hair reacts first! On some people, the dye seems to be quite strong. 4 stars for keeping my color fresh, but -1 for the effort it took!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2012 6:03:00 PM More reviews by spinnaker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have undyed mid brown hair with maybe 5% gray. My hair is undamaged and usually takes colour quite well.

This product comes in a tube, is bright red, with an earthy smell to it. It is available at Aveda salons, not at the drugstore. Sigh.

I have been using this product for years to 'redden' up my undyed hair, which it does beautifully but it doesn't really touch the gray. Not a problem for me, yet. LOL. Give me a few years and I'll let you know.

As other reviewers noted, this product will stain your hands and tub so be sure to rinse once the product is in your hair.

I leave this in for 3 minutes and get a nice reddish tint to my hair. Any longer and my hair definitely looks 'red'. I don't use this every time I shampoo, either. Partly because it is not very conditioning and partly because it makes my hair too red. So I use this every second wash and swap it out with a deeper conditioner.

I like this and have rebought it several times. I also tried the Clove one to darken my hair, which it did, with a vengance. Whoah, dark. So take it easy with these conditioners, they do what they say they do!

Lippies for smelling nice, working, and easy packaging. Lippies removed for being pretty pricey, staining my shower curtain, and not fixing those three gray hairs. ; )

Update: a great way to use this if the red is just too red - I mix it half and half with my normal conditioner. That tones down the colour and boosts the conditioning! Working great!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2012 9:53:00 AM More reviews by quickbrownfox

Before this product I didn't believe in color-reviving or color protectant shampoos and conditioners. This one actually works, it works almost like a conditioning and lightly pigmented dye. The product itself is a bright red color, it may even stain your tub if you don't wash it afterwards. I can say that this is almost the only product that I came across with, which actually restores your color.

But you really have to be careful with it. You might want to test it before you put the conditioner in your hair and wait for 10 minutes; if your red is a lighter shade, or if you are not sure about the new shade this conditioner will give you after washing it. It will not be the exact color that you first dyed, but it will definitely prevent your color from completely fading away.The first part is very critical because you will see what kind of shade you'll get only after you wash your hair and your new shade from the conditioner doesn't immediately go away, you will be stuck with it for after your next wash even if you rinse your hair like crazy. My hair color is naturally a lighter shade of brown, and I dye my hair a natural looking, soft, light red-brown color. I'm not a big fan of weird hair colors that doesn't exist as a natural hair color. So if you agree with me on that and your hair color is not very dark and if you put this conditioner on your hair and wait for 10 minutes you might get a disgusting orangey red. Everybody noticed my color change, it's not a slight difference that only you can tell. All of my friends went from "I love your red." to "What have you done to your wonderful color?"
But I've been using this for 8 months now and I've learned how to use it; so here's how I use:

I don't use it each time I wash my hair, I have another conditioner that I'd like to change with Madder Root once every other wash. I never leave it in for more than 5 minutes. Sometimes I rinse it almost right away, like in a minute or so. Other times I leave it in for 2-3 minutes.

Also another reminder: rinse it from your tub right away or it'll leave a big fat red stain. In short, if your hair shade is not dark, I strongly advise you to try leaving it for 3 minutes or so at your first wash. Then after looking at the result, you can leave it longer or shorter.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2012 7:12:00 PM More reviews by scmoonster

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this conditioner to help keep my hair red. I love to do all sorts of red coloring with my hair, and this is the only product that helps keep it red by depositing red back into the hair.
It is difficult at times to keep the red even, and it will stain your hands/nails, but it's still worth it to keep it from fading to that ugly orange color.
I definitely recommend if you like dying your hair with vibrant reds. May not work so well if the dye is more purple. also, the shampoo does not really deposit as much, so you can forego that step and stick with your regular shampoo (the shampoo is not quite as conditioning).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by happybellydancer

I naturally have extremely thick, damaged, brunette hair that hates to hold any color I put in it, especially red! I got my hair dyed a gorgeous shade of deep copper red and was so pleased with it...until I completely lost the red within 2 weeks after dying and was left with a drab brown. Yep. Two whole weeks and absolutely no red. I was devastated because I had fallen so in love with this color! I began researching and found this gem. It is amazing. I either mix a tiny bit of it with a more moisturizing conditioner or will just use this conditioner by itself. It doesn't feel that moisturizing when you first put it on but the quality of my hair has actually improved!! And the color stayed beautiful for 3 months, until I had some pretty weird roots showing. My hair dresser was so shocked with the results and didn't even have to color my ends because they looked so good still. Oh and for the complaints on the packaging...if you just cut the tube in half when you're almost out you can scoop out quite a bit more with your fingers and then store it by putting the top half inside of the bottom half if that makes sense :) Hope it works as good for you girls!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 3:01:00 AM More reviews by StilettoQueen7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have bright bright bright red hair, and this stuff really helps maintain it. Let me explain: red dye is the fastest fading dye, even if you do a permanent colour at a professional salon, which is what I did. Fading within two months is inevitable. This stuff holds up the red even as it's fading, so it fades in a nice way, if that makes any sense. I didn't realize the full extent of this until I switched back to a completely run-of-the-mill shampoo and conditioner about a week before my next hair appointment. No color-protection, nothing, and the shampoo had sulfates in it - I had a week left remember so I didn't really mind, and the shampoo and conditioner were really moisturizing so I wanted to use them when I could. My hair went from a nicely held together red to fading pink and orange! It was quite funny actually. That, along with my half-inch light brown roots, and the bottom layer of my hair was another odd shade of orange. In the end my hair was about five different colours, and this conditioner was preventing that from happening for a whole two months. That's pretty darn good in my book. Along with Kevin Murphy Angel Wash Shampoo and Conditioner, I will continue to use this every other day as long as I keep going back to my fabulous red.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This conditioner really does add red color. Instructions say to leave on 2 to 5 minutes, or longer if desired. After towel drying my shampooed hair, I comb the conditioner through, put on a plastic cap, and leave on 6 minutes. It really revitalizes my color! If any color comes off on hands or towels, it easily washes off. So far, it doesn't irritate my scalp as other Aveda shampoos and conditioners have done.

I find the conditioner very moisturizing, so I use a light conditioning shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2012 12:59:00 PM More reviews by YCH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have dyed or henna'd my hair for years and the roots get ever greyer, however, this conditioner definitely deposits enough colour to make a big difference in the last week or two before a re-dye. I wouldn't say it would make hair that is not red look red, but it definitely brightens red hair and blurs the root line. Expensive but lasts ages, I alternate with a more moisturising conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 12:27:00 PM More reviews by conceal4ever

This is seriously good stuff. I have very dry hair and often need the most intense conditioning product of any haircare line, and this does the job for me. I've been using this for about 6-7 years now in conjunction with the madder root shampoo and the two together are quite amazing. The madder root naturally tints my hair giving it a nice depth of color. My hair is actually not red, it's black and obviously this does not turn me into a red head, but it gives it a nice depth of color in the sunlight that I really like. I've tried the clove and black malva but ironically the madder root works the best!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2011 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Mathilda91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm natural blond, with a slight red sheen to my hair, but I usually colour it a chestnutty dark red, and as it's a red colour it disapperas quickly. I bought this conditioner because I wanted something to keep the colour vibrand a little longer.

The product comes out a really strong red colour, and the herbaly scent is also quite strong. I take a good blob (my hair just reaches the shoulders, is dry and frizzy, and also slightly damaged from ironing) and put it all over my hair (just shampoed, still wet), from root to ends, massage it in really well so I'm sure its even. I comb throught with my fingers and leave it in for a few minutes while I shower and shave. I rinse it out really well, and RINSE THE SHOWER AND SHOWERCURTAIN!!!! If you don't it will stain!

It is a really good product, it leaves a lot of colour, and it is nice and moisturizing. It does not irritate my sensitive scalp, does not stain my scalp or skin around my hairline either. I would recomend this do anyone that wants help to keep the red in their hair vibrant.