November 28, 2014 | 1696 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Chanel - Base Lumiere - Illuminating Makeup Base

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is an absolutely FABULOUS primer that makes my Perfection Lumiere foundation (BA34) FLAWLESS. Though the small size of the bottle is alarming at first you truly need very, very little of it to be effective, maybe the size of a pea or even less. It's hydrating enough that I don't need an extra moisturizer, and after I let it sit for a few minutes I then apply my foundation. I have quite oily skin and not only did it help my PL stay matte and stay put much much longer, but when I did get a bit oily I looked dewy rather than greasy. My skin looks healthier and more luminous than it did before this primer, and I've finally achieved that glowy look I never thought I could pull off. I now only need one pump of foundation to look flawless. I've even stopped using powder to set my foundation thanks to this primer, though I may have to start doing that again once it gets warmer here. Also, my blush stays on for MUCH longer than it did before, where my oily skin would eat up any blush within 3 hours. Yes, for the price the bottle is pretty cheap looking/feeling, but what's inside is what matters and I'd rather have a plastic squeeze bottle than a glass bottle I have to pour out/dip into (hello, Le Blanc!). After several days no breakouts, but you do have to be careful not to use too much or you'll look ghostly. DEFINITELY recommended and borderline necessary if you're using a Chanel foundation.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/12/2011 6:03:00 PM More reviews by eliego7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is just an average primer. This does not illuminate my skin like it claims, and my skin is not noticeably smoother after I applied it. I use it under my Chanel Mat Lumiere foundation and my combo skin stays mat all day long, without any dry patches (this was one of my biggest concerns, I used to have dry patches around my nose and mouth everyday during winter). The product doesn't have a strong smell, witch I appreciate since my foundation has one.
The packaging is disappointing. At this price, I expected a fancier glass bottle, something to make me want to leave it on my vanity, like my foundation. Instead, it is only a white plastic bottle.

Overall, it is an ok product, for the price, I would not repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/20/2011 9:38:00 AM More reviews by alexandraxy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I must point out that I don't use foundation and probably this is the reason why this product doesn't work for me as it is meant to be used as primer or mixed with foundation to ease its application and improve its hold. So, if you don't use foundation, either, don't spend money on this product.
Now I've got it and I use it mixed with a moisturizer and it does even out the skin tone, but it doesn't illuminate the complexion at all, on the contrary, I find it gives the skin a slighlty "chalky" finish, as it's not at all greasy. This lets me think that it could work fine in fixing foundation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2011 12:45:00 PM More reviews by sdg13

I just bought this to go with Vitalumiere Acqua and I like them both very much. The primer is liquidy as opposed to some really silicony ones that I have tried and hated in the past. It goes on smoothly and seems to help the foundation sit better on the skin. Will update if things change.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2011 4:02:00 AM More reviews by Hoorayitshenry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A lightweight, gel-like primer that feels amazing upon application on bare skin. I have tried so many primers--Hourglass, MAC, smashbox, Giorgio Armani, etc.--and I find this primer to be among the best. No strong fragrance and it has not broken me out. It leaves a satin finish that does not whiten or make you look pale--there's a beautiful sheen that makes your makeup go on so much smoother. Perfect for oily complexions because of how light weight it is, but it does not control oil (nor does it say it would). This primer increases the longevity of my makeup and doesn't feel greasy or silicone-y. The MUFE HD primers are similar and almost a dupe, but I find the Chanel just holds my makeup on a bit better, feels a bit better, and makes my makeup go on a bit smoother. It is rather expensive for 1oz., but definitely worth it as it is a SOLID, work horse of a primer.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/31/2011 3:56:00 AM More reviews by Seficat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is just meh. It's a gel-ish lotion (I have the Lotus shade) that so far has been almost completely underwhelming. The pluses are that it goes on smoothly, has very little scent, leaves a faintly dewy finish on bare skin. It does seem to be moisturising, and at the end of a long winter's day in an aircon'd office Iit does seem that my skin is a bit less dry than usual.

On the downside is it's almost total lack of effect: the illumination isn't visible either after foundation or if I mix it with foundation. It does nothing to make pores less visible and doesn't seem to extend the wear of makeup. As a primer it's pretty much a waste of time.

Chanel is usually great at reliable, thoughtful and high end packaging. This looks great before you take the lid off, and the lid turns on and off with a satisfying firmness. However there are two visible plastic seams that run from the nozzle to the side of the bottle. It looks a bit cheap, and while it's a nitpicky, for the price of this product I'd expect better attention to detail.

I'll probably try to use this up in winter for it's (very) slight moisturing effect, but I see no point to re-buying.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2010 5:26:00 AM More reviews by addercat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This primer works. So why wouldn't I buy it again? One, the cost. If it truly "illuminated" my skin and did things other (cheaper) primers don't, I wouldn't care about the price. But it doesn't. I think the only thing this primer has on the Monistat chafing gel is the great scent, which is of roses, and that's definitely not worth an extra $45. I also find the packaging to be incredibly annoying -- you have to tap it before you squeeze it to get anything out, and 9 times out of 10 too much comes out which is such a waste. It's a fine product, it makes my makeup last and smooths my skin but it's not spectacular and definitely not worth the price. All you're paying for is the Chanel name and they make plenty of other great products that actually work if you're looking to buy some Chanel. I'd pass this by.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 11:09:00 PM More reviews by tenderheart003

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is very expensive and does not yield the results that I expect from a chanel product. I have combo/dry skin and use this underneath TI foundation. My skin looks amazing and glowy at first but over the course of the day my makeup just starts to slide off of my face and my skin goes into glowy overdrive (aka greasy). This would probably be HG material for someone with super dry skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2010 2:48:00 AM More reviews by Sanida

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I started using this product with Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua foundation and it works well for me. The foundation lasts all day and the base has a nice light consistency. The last primer I used was Stila which was really thick and greasy but this works much better for my dry skin.
A pea sized amount is all you need so it's good value for money. It also has a pearlescent quality about it which is well controlled, not glittery and gives a nice glow.

Edit: I haven't repurchased this because it is a bit expensive and I find that my daily moisturiser and serum combo do a good enough job.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2010 6:08:00 AM More reviews by petrene

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I use the Chanel whitening base in rose shade.I must say it is the best make-up base by far comparing to shu uemera & Clarins. It is very light,non drying,hydrating,fresh and non sticky,which make u use lesser foundation that can easily glides on.

Infact,I will stay on with this base for a while till I'm really convinced with other brands like RMK base,which I've heard much rave about too.