Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer Shades

4.6

Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Beeswax, Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance. May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77491).

on 12/29/2012 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

** Not Tested On Animals **

Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer SX08

Skin type: normal to dry but acne prone.

Desperately seeking a new HG foundation since I found out MAC test on animals after being bought out by Estee Lauder. MAC is now sold in China, and Chinese law requires that ALL cosmetics owned by foreign (non-Chinese) companies be tested on animals.

My skin tone has a warm-neutral-light olive tone. For reference, I am MAC NC25 - see my notepad for my colour matches to other brands.

I've been dying to try this ever since I saw Goss review it months ago! Chances are this isn't the first review you've read for this product. The overall warning I took from all reviews is how pigmented it is - this caused me to apply it too lightly in trying to avoid the caked-on effect. Then of course I went in the opposite direction & slathered it on waaaay to thick. Goss has been promising forever to post a tutorial on how to apply it but never did, so I had to wing it.

BEFORE: my skin is normal/dry so I prime with Face of Australia tinted moisturiser which contains SPF15+.

CONSISTENCY: uber thick & creamy.

APPLICATION METHOD: I de-pot a small amount & get a wee bit on the pad of my middle finger & dab it all over the area I'm about to work on. Using my Sigma F80 flat top brush, I stipple all over then lightly buff it in. Finished with a scant application of Ben Nye banana powder & during the unforgiving & melty summer weather, a spritz of Skindinavia setting spray. Voila!
ETA: my personal preference is for using a flat top stippler but a damp beauty blender gives an equally gorgeous finish & helps to sheer it out if you apply too much.

COLOUR MATCH? This suits my colouring more so than MAC NC30 which is a tad too tangerine. That being said, SX08 is quite a warm/yellow shade & I think it'll be a tiny bit too dark for my winter skin. To adjust the shade I add a few dabs of a lighter cream foundation which works well. I love that this is so customisable.

OVERALL: I lurrrrrve this foundation! I wear it 4+ times a week & it's by no means quick & easy to slap on but it looks bloody fantastic so who cares? I had to lose a lippy due to the minor breakouts I've been getting along my jawline since using it. The finish & staying power is amazing.

RE-PURCHASE? Hells yeah! This is a product for makeup enthusiasts who don't mind putting the effort in. While I'd like to marry & have the babies of this foundation, I can't quite give it HG status because of the breakouts & pore-clogging nature of it. But still an absolute corker.

ETA: I've tried several other correctors/concealers since buying this & nothing stacks up. Have amended to 5 lippies - HG to the power of infinity.

DUPE ALERT! SX08 is a 98% shade match for Mehron's Celebre HD Pro Foundation in Eurasia Japonais. Kevyn Aucoin's SSE is much thicker and more pigmented than Mehron's Eurasia Japonais but the latter is still a full coverage product (and less likely to cause break outs).

on 11/21/2012 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Okay, I just received this product brand new in a swap. I got the shade sx02. For shad reference I am nc/nw 07-10, Nars SG Mont Blanc, Graftobian bombshell, or illamasqua skin base 3.5.

I have Acne prone, extremely sensitive, combination, oily skin. I have a lot of topical and internal allergies/ intolerances.
So far I have had no immediate issue with skin reactions or acne using this foundation. (but I will update if that changes)

My Foundation Check List:
Correct shade match ::check
No Sunscreen ::check
Versatile Coverage ::check
Lasting (10+ hours) ::check
Good for Combination skin ::check
No reactions, acne, or topical reaction ::check
Transfer resistant :: Check
Pigmentation :: High (grain of rice amount)
Finish :: demi/semi (depends on skin type)
Application recommendation :: a damp brush

I watched and read different reviews, almost every one mentioned how pigmented this is and how difficult it can be to apply. I would say this is difficult for a beginner or anyone who only wants to apply their foundation with their fingers. The only foundation I apply with my fingers is Nars. I found months ago, that I do not like sponges or beauty blenders of any kind, no matter how hard I try, I get a blotchy result. I prefer a damp brush. I specifically like my sephora 56 foundation brush or my real techniques expert face brush. I am leaning towards the later more lately for foundations and using the 56 for cream blushes. That being said I am used to using a brush. I don't think it takes more time to use it than my fingers, but then again I have found my rhythm with it so I feel like I can apply quickly with out losing quality of application at all. Because of this, I did not find Kevyn Aucoin's SSE to be difficult to apply. It apply seamlessly. Near impossible to be cakey. You would have to be applying it wrong to even reach cakey.

It is highly pigmented. The grain of rice amount is pretty precise for incredible coverage. It is a tiny container, $42 for 18 grams, seems like a lot of money for a little amount. Really, a little goes a long, long way. Even though I have scarring on my face, I prefer a like my skin but better look, so light to medium coverage. This foundation can be used as a concealer straight from the tub, or sheer down to a tint. I achieved a really beautiful finish with the brush. I should also mention that because it takes so little I cannot feel this on my skin. It is emollient but I could see this possibly being more difficult to apply for people with drier skin. I say that because I would imagine that drier skin might suck up the little amount of oil in a grain of rice amount, so drier skin users may want to add a little bit of of lotion to their brush instead of just water.

Just a quick mention about the packaging. This is tiny, like an tubbed eyecream. I am not the biggest fan of having to stick my fingers in a container to get product like this and then spread it all over my face, because of bacterial reasons. I have seen this depotted into other containers. I always wash my hands before applying foundation even when I am using a brush. I scooped some out using a tiny painting palette knife I bought for just such uses. I pressed this into the lid, dabbed my finger on the lid and dotting the product on my face, then blended.

It is important to mention and keep in mind that this review is in the Fall. So I will update this if there is any changes once Summer comes around.

::edit:: 11/25/2012
I am not sure about this for every day wear, I think the beeswax ingredient may be a little too hard on my skin to wear everyday but on occasion would probably be fine. I should note I have had problems with beeswax as an ingredient on facial skin in the past. It could be other ingredients but I am not sure, still no breakouts but, I can feel that my skin is stressed after wearing this for several days verses other foundations.

on 10/13/2012 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I actually figured out how to add a review because I love this product so much. I have sx08 n I use Nars Stromboli (sorry, I don't have a Mac reference because they're all too pink for me). This is probably the the most amazing product I own. It's so pigmented that I barely touch it with my brush and it's completely full coverage so it's well worth the price. I've had the same jar for almost a year and barely made a dent in it. I use it at least 5 days a week. I use it as a concealer and I have used it as a foundation but it's a little too full coverage for that. It is dry, so it's perfect for me because I have super oily skin. I'll try to find the blog post I used to find my shade because it's pretty dead on. I found my perfect shade the first time.

on 10/11/2012 2:14:00 PM

EDIT: I upgraded this to a 5 because I now know how to use it - just mix with moisturizer, luminizer or primer and spread it on for a flawless finish every time. Get sheer to full coverage as you need it!. OLD: First, when applied properly it gives a truly flawless but seemingly budgeproof canvas. SX08 seems a very good match for my medium warm complexion. I cannot imagine using this full strength - right now I mix a tiny dab of it with moisturizer and make a TM out of it. But for the cons:
It is dry textured, so even mixed with moisturizer it can be too matte. A natural cream with a little oil in it works best for me so far. Also it sets quickly so you have to work and blend it very fast. A damp sponge blotted over it after seems to smooth things out. But on balance it's a lot of work when I'm used to a fast process in the morning. I'd say the biggest advantage of it over other foundations is the staying power while so lightweight it gives great coverage - so for an evening out, this would be my choice. But if I'd never tried it would I be less happy? No, I don't think so.

on 1/28/2012 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

This is another of those really expensive products that is actually worth it. Fro $45 you get .63 ounces of this uber concentrated foundation/concealer....Going on trip and need to conserve space? Take this as you foundation and concealer...Its a tiny jar.

For foundation use with a primer and slightly damp sponge for a beautiful finish. Ditto for a concealer but I sometimes us a foundation brush. The colors are yellow based. I use the 05 for concealer. The yellow counteracts the blue of dark circles and makes you looks as good as it gets.

I don't usually need to powder on top but a light dusting can be used to set.

on 5/14/2011 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I cannot believe I haven't reviewed this before. I'm NW10-15, and I have KA's SSE in three shades -- SX02, SX01 and SX06. Let me explain why I have those shades first. SX02 I bought. It is the best shade for my total face. It works well for fair women with cool/pink undertones. SX01 I got in a swap, and I have used it all over my face, but it does not work as well as SX02. I prefer it as a concealer or used in combo with other foundations. SX06 a fabulous MUAer included as an extra (and it was an almost unused pot of it). I never thought SX06 would work for me because it's dark, but, to be honest, there isn't a dramatic difference in the shades of all three. SX06 is darker and more yellow, but not THAT darker. I have not used it all over my face, however. I have used it under my eyes to brighten up (because of the yellow) and provide coverage under my foundation and powder. That works for me. So I can use all three shades, but if I only had one, it would be SX02, hands down.

The best way this works for me is with my dampened Beauty Blender sponge. I tried applying it with my fingers and a brush, and those techniques produce bad results. It looks heavy and not good. I can't get it to look good with my fingers or a brush. BUT with the dampened Beauty Bleander, lightly applied all over my face, it is FABULOUS. It is one of my top five foundations, and I am a foundation junkie. It gives a softened look, kind of airbrushed. It's not too heavy, even though the product itself is VERY pigmented and opaque. Like others have said, the pot is small. But you need such a tiny amount of product to get the desired effect that one pot will last you forever. This is probably THE most pigmented foundation product in my stash. It's really an ingenious product. And using it makes me sad that Kevyn Aucoin died so young. He was very talented, and his line reflects that talent. I highly recommend this product and will continue to keep it in my foundation line up.

on 3/19/2011 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Maybe I was expecting too much out of this.
I've been searching for a great undereye concealer all my life because of the dark hereditary circles I have. This wouldn't be so difficult if they were just dark. However, there are also deep hollows beneath my eyes, which causes lots of fine lines when I smile ( not crow's feet, actually underneath my eyes). Because of this, the texture of a concealer is incredibly important to me.
This product had excellent coverage and stayed well throughout the day. The only problem is the texture seems to accentuate the fine lines and makes the skin look dry. Truly, this is the problem with all undereye concealers. If it has a lighter texture, then it doesn't cover very well. If it covers well, the texture is unsatisfactory. It's a no-win situation, and I think I ask the impossible of a concealer. With this in mind, I would like to point out that this truly covers with the smallest amount, and the pot is huge. If you just use it as a spot concealer and/or dark circle concealer, it would last forever, so while the initial expense is a lot ($45), you would not have to buy again for a long time, maybe a year or even longer.

on 11/22/2010 2:39:00 PM

I have very dark under-eye circles, and some age sots on my cheeks. This almost completely erases them. I have never used another product that conceals this well. It took a couple of tries to get it just right... must use primer, and moisturizer or it tends to dry you out / look cakey. With the right touch though my skin looks almost fawless. I only wish I would have discovered this years ago!

on 4/9/2010 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Update: The foundation is settling on my pores and lines. Plus my skin looks super oily within just a few hours. I tried different application techniques, nothing works. I will not repurchase.

This product is amazing. But be prepared to work. It took me several days to figure out how to apply the foundation. Like other reviews you can not just apply. I mix it with a light moisturizer. I mix two colors SX11 and SX12 with a foundation brush and then use the beauty blender sponge (spritzed with rose water). Top off with a setting powder. It took a couple of tries to find the right fix so I'm not too sure if it would work for everyone. I have oily skin, but this does not break me out.

on 5/1/2009 11:18:00 PM

i got the sx09 this past week at Sephora. I have been looking for a heavy duty concealer to cover some broken capillaries and sunspots, that has some staying power. So far I love it.

You only need a tiny bit and you can warm in your hand first, and/or add some moisturizer to thin it a bit. You will need to blend carefully with a sponge. I feel nearly flawless in it, just add a bit of my regular make up over, and a touch of minera veil powder. It just feels great having a smooth flawless looking skin, and a great start to the rest of your makeup.

It does seem like it will last a long time. I am usually avoiding parabens, and there are some here, but I put a good moisturizer down first and hope that will impede my absorbing them. Otherwise love this product, and his sculpting powder looked good too, a perfect neutral brown.

Postscript: I ended up having to return this, because after wearing it in full light realized didnt match my skin exactly, and it is so heavy it shows. I wanted to keep it because it covers like crazy, but just couldnt.