August 29, 2014 | 1940 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2013 1:15:00 AM More reviews by palefawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I got this one day when I went to Walgreens to get my normal Deep Clean Cream Cleanser by Neutrogena, but they were out so I picked this stuff up instead. It didn't help my acne at all, actually made it worse and dried out my skin horribly. Also has a strange unpleasant smell to it that I don't like near my face. Wouldn't repurchase ever.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by tina622

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this product, because i got too many white and blackheads, and really need a cleanser that day, so, I purchase this Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser, and I never have acne, my breakups are like a tiny little dots , but this cream , fill me up with lots of that , all over my cheek area, my nose, my front head, from one day to other, never inflammation,or pain, just appear ready to pop, the little tiny breakups yellow, color, so, that make me scare , my husband say , that the cream, was pushing all impurity of my face, but, i not sure about that.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by baconator

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

*** skin type, routine, etc. are found at the end of the review ***

So far, I've gone through one 6 oz bottle of this and I haven't noticed a major improvement in my skin. I think my skin might've even declined with this. I'm halfway through my second 6 oz bottle of this, but I only repurchased it because it was on sale.
It doesn't live up to its claims for me since I can't use it as a daily cleanser. If I do, my skin stings more and more with daily use, so I use it every other day.
After using and patting my skin dry, my skin feels tight and looks like there's a film of "grease" especially on my cheeks. Grease in quotes because, when I touch it, it feels sticky yet dry. But moisturizer usually does the trick and calms that down afterwards.
I still get pimples and acne, but I might have to credit that to my crazy teenage hormones, so who knows? It's possible that this product does help me, but I don't see a difference. When I get, for example, a gigantic whitehead, it shrinks within 1 1/2 weeks and completely goes away after 3, and it leaves hyperpigmentation behind. However, I feel like my skin can heal faster than that.

Overall: If my skin acts up from another cleanser, I would go back to this, only because I'd need to use some kind of a cleanser to clean my face. Other than that, I'm all-too-ready to finish this 6 oz bottle so that I can try my luck with another cleanser.

Quick Background: I've been struggling with mild acne since 8th grade. It's only this year that I decided to finally do something about it. Oh and I'm a pimple picker, shoot me.

Acne Type - Varies: I have sebaceous filaments (pores clogged with a "waxy substance") on & around my nose and some on my forehead & chin; prominent hyperpigmentation on my chin & sides of my cheeks; occasional whitehead on cheeks, chin, & forehead; rare cystic acne pimple on chin & forehead. I normally get the last 2 around my period.

Skin Type - Combo & (kind of) Sensitive: Right now, my skin has really dry patches on my cheeks, the corners of nose & mouth, and even on the outer corners of my eyes. This has never happened before and I can only assume that it's from the cold weather. My nose is oily with the exception of the dry corners where my nose meets my face.

Routine: Every morning I splash my face with warm water, then cold water, dry it off, and apply Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer. Every night I do the same thing plus apply Differin, then seal everything off with Vaseline (new addition to my routine, I don't know how it affects me just yet). When I wash my hair (every other day), I use this while my conditioner is sitting on my hair. I don't use cleanser everyday because I noticed that my skin stings if I use it too much so I stopped daily use.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2012 9:03:00 AM More reviews by marissakmoore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As many of you probably already know, it takes your skin about 6 weeks to get used to any new skincare product that you introduce to it, so for those that are experiencing breakouts after starting this cleanser it may just be from changing products? I would try to stick with it if you can!
Moving on to the review- I used this stuff all throughout high school and college and always had such clear skin. Well, after college I decided I needed something new and I no longer wanted an "acne wash" so I branched out and tried many of the high-end cleaners and lotions however, my skin is now still recovering from that mistake. I am now back to Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash and I have been using it for a few days now. My existing acne has dried up (but still visible) and I have only had 1 new spot show up so that is a plus for me! I use it morning and night (night with my clarasonic) and I actually love the cooling sensation that it leaves- feels very clean! I remember when I used this years ago it would leave my face feeling slightly tight/stripped afterwards but I am no longer experiencing that with this new formula. I will update in about 6 weeks and let you know what I think! Hopeful that my skin will be nice and clear by then!
(minus 1 lippie because it is a little drying on my skin but I would rather have that than new pimples popping up every day!)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2012 2:39:00 AM More reviews by hipster101

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

At first it cleared up all of my pimples, but then a few days later it came back redder than before, so I quit using it. Then I decided to give it one more try, and now it gave me clear/ red bumps all throughout my face. Very dissapointed.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by NerdyMonique

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this cleanser because i wanted something to help my acne and something that wasn't so drying, since it's a cream(i used cetaphil before) I have oily skin in my t-zone btw. Well overall, i dont like this product.. lemme start of with the pros and cons
PROS
- leaves a tingly, refreshing feeling

- not super expensive. it was around 6/7 dollars

- i dont think it caused me to break out.. although i was only using it for about a week.. i did get a few pimples but im not completely sure it this product caused it

CONS
- left my skin MAJORLY oily!!! I used this at about 12 pm one day, and at 5pm i felt my forehead and it was super duper greasy and oily ughhh. I have never been that oily before in my life!! This is what caused me to stop using it, i've only used it for about a week

- claims to clear breakouts... it didnt clear mine

- claims to see results in only 1 day.. that didnt happen

- my face didn't really feel clean after i used it.. it felt refreshed but not clean

so, i do not recommend this product to people with oily skin. if u have dry skin this might work for you. And My review might not be that helpful since I've only used it for about a week, so u shud probably check out other reviews too.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2012 4:45:00 PM More reviews by TisTou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It may be perfect for dry skin, but not me :( oily skin.
i feel my face is not clean and still dirt.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2012 7:16:00 PM More reviews by mhglitter97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I didnt notice my acne getting any better with this product, and it made my acne even redder and brighter. It was very cheap, but not very good quality either. I defidently wouldnt but it again. I feel like it made my acne even worse

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2012 3:49:00 AM More reviews by tahiti1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I THANKED GOD when this cleanser came back on the market. It disappeared from shelves for about a year and the reappeared in a new formulation.

I used the old formula for about 15 years and loved it. It was gentle on my skin, but tough on my adult acne. I was worried that the new formula wouldn't be as good, but I don't notice much difference except for the scent, which I don't much care for, but can live with. It feels a bit smoother than before (perhaps the addition of glycolic acid has something to do with the change in texture).

Overall, this is a must have for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2011 3:19:00 AM More reviews by mzlovely

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

As for me this is probably one of the most harsh cleansers Ive ever tried. This had my face soooo irritated it gave me a burning swelling painful sensation , however luckily my face appeared to be normal yet it felt terrible. I tried putting up with it thought maybe my skin could get a bit prone to it but nope. Even after I stopped using this for 2 days my face still felt really sensitive to the touch, it hurt. I felt this also contributed to my acne worsening.

Ultimately the worse face wash i've tried and won't buy again.

Ive gone back to what I now know is my HG cleanser, because it doesn't do what these other acne cleansers do (irritate my skin) and my skin is already clearing up effortlessly.