September 21, 2014 | 1246 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by addied

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

ENCHANTED FOREST - medium length Thick wavy hair - It lasted me about a week before fading on natural blonde and bleached hair. There's not much of a difference between bleaching and not bleaching hair. I left mine in my hair for over 2-3 hours before blasting the hair wrapped in foils with a hair dryer on med- low which somewhat helps intensify it on natural hair. Make sure you spread air evenly. Packaging is a little annoying as you can't fit a tint brush in it. Vaseline on your hairline! This stuff seriously stains. Am I happy with this product? It's a maybe. I'm looking at other options for a little more lasting effect.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/9/2013 4:53:00 PM More reviews by DrGMart

I used this in Hot hot pink and ultra violet, a pink-purple gradient from top to bottom. After a single cold shower, most of this product came out, lasted two weeks total with three showers. Although I understand it is a vegan product, for $14 a jar I expected better....

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2013 11:43:00 AM More reviews by SavannahRain13

I've been using Manic Panic for well over a year now and for the most part I love it. I usually only dye two streaks in my hair (and now the ends too, and yes they are bleached and I was my about 3 times a week) so I don't use very much and it lasts me while so the price doesn't bother me. I've used a variety of colors and I'm going to list them below. -Wildfire Red- This was the first color I used and I won't lie I was disappointed. I wanted a very vibrant red and this was more orange. It faded fast than any of the colors I've used. -Ultra Violet- This one turns out the most beautiful shade of purple. It's very bright. It fades after about a week and a half then it turns a purplely gray. I tried to dye all of my dark brown hair with it. It didn't work very well. It only made it slightly darker. -Atomic Turquoise- This is a very bright blue. In the bottle it doesn't look turquoise but in your hair it does. For me, it lasts about 2 weeks and fades into a pretty pale blue. -Green Envy- This color is lovely! It comes put a very bright green. It lasts the longest out of the colors I've tried. When it begins to fade it turns the color of poison (at least that's how my friends describe it). Once it really fades its a yellowy green. But it stays in a long time and is easy to dye over. I think those are all of the colors that I've used. I really like Manic Panic. It doesn't damage hair and smells better than most dye. Even though the colors fade I don't mind because I constantly change color. I'll definitely be buying more colors in the future.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by lilliputhaunt

I'll add reviews for specific colors as I try them.
I've dyed my hair many colors with many brands, and I've learned that there simply is not a replacement for good old Manic Panic. The colors are all so fantastic, and there's so many of them, too! On top of that, my hair feels softer using MP than with ANY other product. Literally, dedicated conditioners don't make my hair feel healthier than Manic Panic does. The dying process is easy, if a bit time consuming (I typically leave the dye on for 2 hours then blow dry for 5 minutes or so). And the results are just great. The colors are always true to the swatch, bright and even. At ~8 dollars/jar with a Sally's card, the price is pretty reasonable too, when you consider that there are brands like Special FX that can run up to 20 bucks for a bottle. Sans the gross permanent marker smell, I really have no complaints for this brand.

Vampire Red - Makes a dark red tone. I love how rich and dark the color is, it reminds me of rubies. Fades to a fiery orange. I probably get more compliments on the faded color than the freshly dyed one, actually!

Purple Haze - Not quite as nice as the Vampire Red was, but still pretty good. Gave my hair a grape kind of color. It faded a lot quicker than I feel like it should've (especially considering I left it on for about 2 hours) so I don't think I'll repurchase this color.

Electric Lizard - I'll admit, I was kind of scared to try a color as bold as this one, but I was reassured the moment I stepped out of the shower. It's a really great lemon-lime green that'd be perfect for the springtime (too bad it's winter over here). Will update with faded colors when they come.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 9:42:00 AM More reviews by SkullGlitter

LOVE Manic Panic Creme colors. I've been using them for many years and haven't had a bad experience. I have neutral, medium brown hair naturally at the roots that requires moderate bleaching (15-20 minutes with powder lightener and 20 vol bleach) to touch up my bangs. I did have near-platinum hair after bleaching out a very dark red-brown at one point with a bit of Cotton Candy Pink on the topmost layer and loved the payoff. It doesn't apply well over metallic colors (salon colors, salon lightened and toned hair, or bleached-out salon work) due to chemical reactions not being at optimal conditions. This is stated on each container among all the fine print.

I have lots of medium-thickness, porous hair. My skin is dry with increased oil production when stripped of oils under most shampoos, so I only use cleansing conditioners for normal washing. I will use a gentle shampoo every other month for any styling buildup. Since I bleach my natural hair to apply Manic Panic, it absorbs VERY well. I blend my colors with conditioner (Suave naturals or VO5) for a lighter application and after letting it absorb for an hour, the color is all absorbed and rinses almost perfectly clear. This helps the color fade to a pretty pastel evenly, too.

The only negative for me is that the packaging for the creme colors has a wide mouth that is difficult to pour from smoothly or take out without a spoon. I plan to try the Amplified colors soon, when I run out of my current colors.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Geuliet

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Manic panic is pretty great. Since I'm vegetarian, of corse I LUV the fact it's a vegan formula. I've dyed my hair twice with manic panic so far. The first time I had faded pink hair and dyed electric banana over it making an amazing orange color. It literally lasted FOREVER, so long in fact that I decided to dye shocking blue over the slightly faded orange. It actually covered up pretty well. It showed up a bit greenish but I think it's only because I dyed it over orange hair. The blue didn't last too long though, but it was blue during the summer and the pool was open so i swam almost everyday. considering that it lasted long, I mean at least it faded to a lighter blue rather then icy green or grey. the product smells ok to, it's not all chemically smelling. It doesn't exactly smell like a spring flower though! but it left my hair soft and manageable with very little damage. So defiantly buy this product, it is expensive though.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by cmacintyre100

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Manic Panic isn't terrible, but not great either. Was lovely and conditioning for my hair, not drying and didn't have any harsh scents. Another pro is that the color does not bleed much at all. I managed to rinse clear after the first wash and had little to no bleeding on pillow cases, clothes or my hands when styling my hair. The problem was that the color doesn't last. I wash my hair in cold water maybe twice a week max, and used heat when processing and it faded terribly within the first week. I used up the rest of my jar mixed with a splat color, but I won't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2013 8:18:00 PM More reviews by kaicg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really do love manic panic; the colours are vibrant! There are no harmful chemicals so switching up colours frequently wont damage your hair, and you can mix up colours to create unique shades. On the downside this can be a high maintenance product, and some places it's around 12-14$ (Canada) which adds up quickly especially with medium to long hair and you have to buy 2 at a time.

I've found that to get the best results I'll apply it at night (after shampooing and drying my hair first, don't condition) cover it with a shower cap and leave over night. I wash my hair with a colour safe and sulfate free shampoo/conditioner in cool water. I recently used a blue that is infamous for fading to green within 1-2 washes, it's been over a week and my hair is still looking great.

It is important to note that manic panic looks most vibrant on blonde hair, but darker colours will still have a tint from the manic panic.

Also it lasts longer the less you wash it, I'm lucky enough that I have dryer hair so I only need to wash it 3 times a week. I wear a shower cap to keep it dry on the other days in the shower. So oilier hair types should keep this in mind.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by ellenodegaard

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Color your hair the day of an event or w/e you want your hair temporarily colored for. After a few days it will wash out.
I have blonde hair that is bleached professionally.
My bright pink lasted about 4 washes, but faded drastically after the first wash.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2013 11:13:00 PM More reviews by ariax

honestly, i'm genuinely surprised with how good the reviews are for this product.

i went to a professional to get my hair done, i only died the tips for an ombre/dip dye effect. my hair is brown so i got the ends bleached. i mixed the two colors atomic turquoise and voodoo blue so get a really turquoisy color that didn't have green in it. at first, it came out perfect. after just 3 washes (i wash my hair every other day) it was just a very awkward green color. i jused color-stay shampoo/conditioner, but that didn't help. it immediately faded after one wash, not to mention the blue color of the turquoise coming out in the shower and staining my bathtub.

i called and asked about why that happened, and they told me i should try to redye it and leave it in for a long time, up to 2 hours. so i re-dyed it myself only voodoo blue to avoid a greenish color, followed the directions, and 3 days later washed my hair again and HUGE amounts of blue came out in the shower. i'm writing this review as my hair dries, so i'm not sure how much came out, but i know for a fact it will definitely be a significant amount of shades lighter.

the colors are great, and i love the way it looked at first, but i really am disappointed in how awesome the product seemed by the reviews and came out within 3 washes for me. and not only did it just fade, it changed color completely. i'm upset.