MAC #213 Fluff Brush

on 8/10/2010 6:24:00 AM

It's interesting how divided the reviews are on this brush, and I can definitely understand why it doesn't work for some people. That said, it works brilliantly for me!

First of all, yes, it is small and may not be useful to everyone. I have fairly small eyes and I find that some brushes are just a bit too big if I need to do delicate crease work or blending. The fibres on this brush are incredibly soft and feel very gentle against the skin, but the drawback to this is that there isn't a lot of stiffness to it. The best aspect of this brush is its versatility. I always take it with me when I travel because it has so many uses. It is great for highlighting the brow bone, and adding a sheer wash of colour to the entire eyelid. You will have to work harder if you want to really pack the colour on and want a finish like you might achieve with a 239 or similar, but if you just want a subtle wash it's perfect for that as it will rarely, if ever, deposit too much colour. I also like it for blending out the edges when my shadow is almost finished but just needs that extra finesse. Finally, I tend to use this brush for deepening my crease colour or outer v as it's small enough for me to be fairly elaborate with. In terms of quality, I've had this brush for years and it hasn't shed a hair so far.

Overall I do think that this brush is somewhat underrated, but I can understand people's apprehension to it. It was one of the first MAC brushes I bought so I think I was very keen to use it and figure it out, and as a result I've found out how to use it best for my needs and I love it. If you find that some brushes just seem too big for your eyes and you want something that works well for multiple different uses, I feel you could do a lot worse than start with this brush. However, if you already have separate brushes for packing on colour, blending and doing creasework then this might be redundant in your collection!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The rounded bristle shape is ideal for application of eyeshadow on lid! I got this is the Passions Of Red: Devoted Poppy 6 Classic Eyes Palette. It is a SE, and not as good as the full size of course, but still works well! I will repurchase this brush in the full size for $22.50 from MAC!

continued >>

on 5/30/2010 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was over at a friend's house and borrowed this to do a smokey eye, not knowing what brand/kind it was. This brush was so ultra soft, picked up the eyeshadow effortlessly, and was the perfect size for my small eyelids (I'm asian). I can see why those with bigger eyelids would complain about the small size but it was just the right size for me (if you are looking for a big, dense eyeshadow brush, try the POSH one). I had to go out and get my own 213. This brush does not shed but the downside is that it doesn't work well with MAC eyeshadows. MAC shadows are hard and take more effort to pick up, and the 213 barely picks up anything. It works fine with my softer shadows like Urban Decay and NARS though.

on 5/13/2010 4:30:00 PM

To those just starting out and are on here and reading reviews
to see which brush you should buy first.........

Skip this one!

Buy the 239 (a shader, that can pack color on the lid and then u can use it for crease and highlight)

And the 217( this can apply a wash of color anywhere,great for crease application and blends beautifully..... its an all in one baby!) These 2 are awesome! And a great investment...they will last well over 15 years if you really take care of them! Don't be afraid of their white hairs, they wash up beautifully, with baby shampoo! And try to only wash them once or twice a week tops!

Now back to this one,

If you want a thinner, bending shader brush then.....

Go buy the way better priced Target Brand brushes.

This way too expensive, for what it is!

I am sorry to say this about my beloved MAC! But, I am keeping it real!

I bought this because I love the tiny 213se's that come in their special season eyeshadow palettes. I wanted that but bigger! Well, I didn't get it!

I ordered straight from MAC Store so I know that this thin haired brush is authentic. Its Crazy!

The HAIRS BEND, if I just breathe on!

The HANDLE is VERY THIN TOO! No grip or the great MAC feel!

This also sheds like crazy.....For being so tiny and thin.

$22.50 price is just crazy for this thin thing!

Though, the rest of MAC ROCKS!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I don't reach for it much since it doesn't pack on colors like 239. I guess I can use it for more pigmented colors or black eyeshadows if I don't want to come off too harsh. It's a OK brush but not that versatile.

on 3/14/2010 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I just discovered 5 minutes ago that this really is a pretty great brush.

I got a tiny version of this brush along with one of the Christmas palettes and have been meaning to give it a try.

I am new to makeup and I find that product placement is one of my biggest problems as I may not have all the right tools.

I used this brush just now and it was great. It took a little longer to get the eye makeup on but but wow, perfect placement and I was able to blend the two colours I used perfectly with one brush.

It even worked great for my under-eye colour which is usually a problem for me as I tend to end up with raccoon eyes.

I am not sure if I will shell out the $ for the full size but for now, 213, I love you.

on 3/11/2010 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I use this brush if I want to intensify my crease or outer v. I find it is the best brush to use if I want to apply a concentrated colour in only a certain part of my eyelid. For an all over colour or wash I would definately use something else. For an intense dark crease I would use this and then use a 217 to blend it out. I also use this to go under my eye as it is thinner than the pencil brush.

on 2/20/2010 3:35:00 PM

overall i feel like this brush is really under-rated. i think its an awesome brush! i particuarly like this for packing on eyeshadows. the 239 does pack on the color thicker (not sure if that is the right word for it) but the 213 is really good at placing and then blending out harsh lines like into the crease. i'm not saying this is a good crease brush because it isnt but once you place your lid color its good to just take this one and smooth out the edges. i tend to reach for this more than my 239 just because i find it easier to work with. if you have sigma brushes and you prefer the ss 239 to the mac one then i think this is a good brush to check out because they basically do the same job. the 213 is just smaller and probably not as densely packed as the ss239. it is one of my have to have brushes for everyday becuase i just find it easier to work with but its probably one of those personal prefernce brushes. it would also be good to use to place brow highlight colors

on 1/23/2010 7:30:00 PM

I feel very strongly that this is just an O.K. brush. For twenty-threeish dollars, it's quite overpriced for what it is. Event the most dismally-stocked drugstore would have exactly this brush. It is nice quality and packs on product evenly. However, it is not nearly as special as other MAC eye brushes. If you're beginning with makeup, you'd be much better off investing in a more specialized brush like the beautiful blending or eyeliner brushes.

on 12/28/2009 2:49:00 PM

PROS: Works well for applying color (not too soft or too hard.) Deposits great.

CONS: No cover for the tip to protect it, not even a pouch.

ALTERNATES: For a less specific line and softer application, I prefer MAC 217 Blending brush. Cheap dupe for this is I love is Revlon All Over Shadow Brush, but the dupe has a bit softer/less specific application. (I don't mind because I prefer a bit less specific, defined application anyway.)