April 21, 2014 | 1265 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending (Windshield Wiper) Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by lnielsen22

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the brush that my eye make-up look depends on and is not the same without. And I've used so many brushes from different brands, never achieving the soft, perfectly blended and quickly achieved flawless look this gives me. I use the 218 to apply shadow and the 224 to blend. I also use the 224 to blend concealer under my eyes (I have two, one for shadow and one for concealer). I always keep the one I use to blend shadows clean and free of any product, and I think that is the key to getting the flawless look (learned this from the amazing Tanya Burr on youtube). I love all my MAC brushes and think they are superior to any other brand I've tried, but this one is my must have.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

Harsh eye shadow edges are effortlessly blended away with the 224! This is the secret to my smokey eyes looks, it just blends crease colours seamlessly with just a few ‘swish-swish’ motions. Every day I use this on my brow bone using my transition eye shadow (MAC Wedge) and it gives the most perfectly diffused Kardashian-style finish to my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by curlywurly100

where has this brush been all my make-up wearing life?! i absolutely love this brush! it blends all my eye make-up like a dream.
i want to start this review by first mentioning that i have a lot of lid and brow bone space. if you also do, this is perfect for you too. if you don't have a lot of space, then you need a more condensed blending brush like MAC's 217, or any dense blending brush or even just a dense crease brush would work.
this is a big, fluffy tapered brush that blends EVERYTHING in a few swirls. it makes my make-up look a hundred times more professional and saves me so much time in the morning, because i like to combine a lot of colours on my lid and crease, and i always need a lot of time to make them all look blended and transitioned. not anymore! this also is really useful when i haven't done that great a job actually applying the colours as well because of how well it just blends them. it's great for blending as you go along, blending the finished result and using this with colours that you want 'blended in' to the whole finished look.
so now we've established that it works, i want to discuss a bit about the packaging and cost. this brush is very expensive! though i do believe it's worth the money, it still is something you have to think about before you buy. i would suggest testing this brush at MAC first. go and apply some colours and then do your own before and after! because it may be that it splays colour too much for your eye shape.
i removed one point for packaging quality, because it sheds. i have also noticed a piece of a bristle too, which means it not only sheds, but its bristles also break. my advice to minimise this as much as possible, is to be gentle when you clean and spot clean, and store it somewhere safe. so i don't think this brush is durable enough to just throw it solo in your make-up bag. store it in a brush roll, cup or just somewhere by itself. so that's one con. for the price it shouldn't shed or break. otherwise no complaints.
i would definitely repurchase. it's my staple blending brush now!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 3:22:00 AM More reviews by sweetascocoa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this brush for eye makeup blending purposes, but I find that this brush is a little too big for my eyelid. I tend to overblend my eyeshadow with this brush. My 226 and 222 allow me to blend my shadows a little better.

However, my major issue with this brush is that the other day, the ferrule separated from the brush. If I hadn't gotten it from the MAC counter, I would question whether the brush is authentic. I've only had the brush for about 8 months...so I don't know what the issue is. I've had other MAC brushes for 8 years, and I've never had an issue with a loose/separated ferrule. Maybe I just got a bad brush with this one. Regardless, I spent too much money for me to have an issue with the ferrule- especially, this early on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2012 9:06:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

My experience with the 224 is similar to that of the 217 blending brush. I was hesitant to purchase both brushes since I figured that I did not need 2 blending brushes. However, I am glad that I did! Since the bristles of the 217 are more tightly packed, it deposits more color. However when you just want to blend, blend, blend...the 224 will be your best friend and it will not allow you to leave the house with harsh eye shadow lines.

Something that I picked up from Emilynoel from youtube is the use of a mauve/cranberry color right above the crease to give a dark smokey eye some warmth. Enter the 224, I lightly dip the brush in MAC's cranberry, NYX's Burgundy Pearl or the cranberry color from the ELF day to night quad and do the back and forth windshield wiper motion slightly above the crease and ta da! Smokey eye with some warmth!

I also like to use it to set powder over my under eye concealer. As also with the 217, I only wish is that it would be a little softer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 9:00:00 PM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Whereas I personally do not "love" this brush as a blender for shadow I DO love it for my concealer! I use Select Cover Up and Prolongwear under my eyes, depending on the day, and I use this brush to blend out either one. Instead of giving a cakey, heavy made up appearance this gives an airbrush look. Just put a lil concealer on the back of you hand take the brush and pick up the product. I start on the inner corner doing small, circular motions until the product is completely is completely blended out. This does for your concealer what a 130 would do for your foudation. If you use any sort of heavy coverage concealer you NEED to get this brush to avoid a cakey look but still get the great coverage you desire. I like how gentle it is for my undereye area too....no pulling or tugging upon application! Sometimes when Im feeling super fancy I use it to apply eyecream and it gives a nice soothing effect. Great change to a standard, flat concealer brush, and def worth trying yourself if you haven't yet.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 11:49:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I love this brush! I can't do my eye shadow without now : )

Just makes blending out a dream, making my eye shadow application a no-stress job. LOVE and highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2012 9:51:00 PM More reviews by Dlrainer

Part of my makeup kit! Love this brush!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2012 11:53:00 AM More reviews by macbrushsets

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I need this type of brush model maybe MAC 168. For expert application of cheek contour. This brush is a large angled contour - the fibres form a buffed edge and are soft and firmly bundled. MAC professional brushes are hand-sculpted and assembled using the finest quality materials. They feature wood handles and nickel-plated brass ferrules. macbrushset.com write this about model 168

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I use it for blending eye shadow. Works well for me! (I use the 239 for application.)