October 26, 2014 | 1031 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 8:07:00 PM More reviews by mdaustin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this blending brush. I've never been great at blending but suddenly I'm so much better. In the past I used the wrong eye brushes to blend eyeshadow and didn't get very far with it. I bought this at MAC a while ago and it still works great. If you haven't found the right blending brush, defnitely give this one a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2013 12:20:00 AM More reviews by Xexuxa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

The 224 brush is one of my favorite brushes by MAC. I use the brush to apply color in the crease of the eye and sometimes to apply a highlight. The brush applies the shadow nicely but it might be a bit broad to work in the creases for some eyes. The 222 might be better suited for smaller eyes. I have had this brush for 7 years and its still in good shape. I recommend this brush for anyone looking to build a basic brush kit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2013 7:12:00 AM More reviews by Asti1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I own two of these. One I use to blend out my eyeshadow when doing a dark or smokey eye. I have to be careful not to over blend though because sometimes it can make it look too smudgey. The other I use to apply my undereye concealer. It blends it out perfectly and is soft enough to use under the eye area. I highly recommend this brush. X

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Fieeeh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Great blending brush :)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2013 12:21:00 PM More reviews by amascovs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I hate this brush. The Sigma E25 wayyyy outperformsit. I have large eyes with deep sockets and this brush still manages to sweep eyeshadow everywhere and overblend everything. I bought this brush less than 3 months ago and it's already rough and scratchy.

The MUA at the MAC store assured me this would be my ultimate favorite blending brush...man she was WRONG! The brush is already shedding, despite the fact that I take excellent care of it (and all my brushes), and even with a brush cover, the bristles are splaying and curling.

I hate this brush so much. I don't know why I can't bring myself to throw it away.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by almond_leaves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

Again, another excellent brush by MAC.

I use this to blend as well as for light applications. I do find that it's a bit big for my small eyes, still I manage to use it. The smaller one would've worked better for me. Still, a wonderful brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by jinglingjambo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This brush is great and versatile. You could use it for blending concealer, setting concealer with powder or for blending eyeshadows. Personally, I use it to set my concealer as it is small enough to get in all the fine lines and contour areas.

Also, a great quality brush for £22 that washes well (goes a little fluffier than it originally was) and doesn't shed. I use this brush every day and love it, I'd be gutted if it broke or I lost it because I would rather purchase a cheaper dupe if I could find one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by lnielsen22

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the brush that my eye make-up look depends on and is not the same without. And I've used so many brushes from different brands, never achieving the soft, perfectly blended and quickly achieved flawless look this gives me. I use the 218 to apply shadow and the 224 to blend. I also use the 224 to blend concealer under my eyes (I have two, one for shadow and one for concealer). I always keep the one I use to blend shadows clean and free of any product, and I think that is the key to getting the flawless look (learned this from the amazing Tanya Burr on youtube). I love all my MAC brushes and think they are superior to any other brand I've tried, but this one is my must have.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

Harsh eye shadow edges are effortlessly blended away with the 224! This is the secret to my smokey eyes looks, it just blends crease colours seamlessly with just a few ‘swish-swish’ motions. Every day I use this on my brow bone using my transition eye shadow (MAC Wedge) and it gives the most perfectly diffused Kardashian-style finish to my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by curlywurly100

where has this brush been all my make-up wearing life?! i absolutely love this brush! it blends all my eye make-up like a dream.
i want to start this review by first mentioning that i have a lot of lid and brow bone space. if you also do, this is perfect for you too. if you don't have a lot of space, then you need a more condensed blending brush like MAC's 217, or any dense blending brush or even just a dense crease brush would work.
this is a big, fluffy tapered brush that blends EVERYTHING in a few swirls. it makes my make-up look a hundred times more professional and saves me so much time in the morning, because i like to combine a lot of colours on my lid and crease, and i always need a lot of time to make them all look blended and transitioned. not anymore! this also is really useful when i haven't done that great a job actually applying the colours as well because of how well it just blends them. it's great for blending as you go along, blending the finished result and using this with colours that you want 'blended in' to the whole finished look.
so now we've established that it works, i want to discuss a bit about the packaging and cost. this brush is very expensive! though i do believe it's worth the money, it still is something you have to think about before you buy. i would suggest testing this brush at MAC first. go and apply some colours and then do your own before and after! because it may be that it splays colour too much for your eye shape.
i removed one point for packaging quality, because it sheds. i have also noticed a piece of a bristle too, which means it not only sheds, but its bristles also break. my advice to minimise this as much as possible, is to be gentle when you clean and spot clean, and store it somewhere safe. so i don't think this brush is durable enough to just throw it solo in your make-up bag. store it in a brush roll, cup or just somewhere by itself. so that's one con. for the price it shouldn't shed or break. otherwise no complaints.
i would definitely repurchase. it's my staple blending brush now!