Bobbi Brown Pale Yellow Loose Powder

3.7

on 10/9/2010 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This was my first foray back into the world of loose powders since my high school years. RIS so I can't really comment on the price but I would definitely repurchase for however much its going for on BBs website. I had read that it was good for toning down redness but I was wary about using such a light powder. It certainly does its job! When applied over BBs concealer system it really sets it AND brightens the eye area. It even works well over mineral makeup!

on 4/6/2010 3:39:00 AM

I like the nice simple packaging on this product and the gentle yellow is very flattering. That's where it ends! I don't usually react to powders but after using this for several months I noticed my skin was developing a bumpy texture. I had no noticeable irritation but stopped using it and within a few days my skin improved dramatically. A warning if you notice your skin deteriorating - I'm blaming it on the Bismuth Oxychloride. Also this powder has very little mattifying powers - shiny within the hour and I'm not oily.

on 3/19/2010 6:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I have used this for years but the only way it works for me or any of my clients (so they don't look jaundiced) is to cut it with a 25% amount of Bobbi Brown white pro powder.. then it looks just right! Please bear in mind I did this for years - there are powders now which will give the same coverage and color correction as this powder... so, no -- I won't repurchase.

on 3/19/2010 4:41:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

it's an okay powder. i'm a warm-toned asian girl but still pretty pale, so i love the yellow. even so, it's not as finely milled as i'd like it to be and goes on kind of chalky. i don't think it's quite worth the price tag.

on 3/9/2010 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I'm usually completely in love with anything Bobbi Brown, but this powder just wasn't that wonderful. I get really oily throughout the day and I felt like I had to reapply this more often than should be necessary. It didn't make my face itch or anything like some powders do, so that's one good thing. Also, it seems like the color is good in the morning, but it adds more color the more you apply. I end up looking kind of "Simpson-esque" towards evening. LOL

on 2/16/2010 8:14:00 PM

I wanted to like this powder because it has a wonderful texture and kept my face from getting shiny/oily. But it has bismuth oxychloride, which I am allergic to. Within 4 hours after application, my forehead erupted in a rash and whiteheads, and started itching madly. I also think it is a bit too yellow for me. Back to LM translucent for me!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

OK, I like it and I hate it. Read why.
As much as I have been disappointed by BB foundations (there is none that works for me) I am astonished by the quality of this powder (the standard one, not the sheer)
It is surprisingly finely milled - in the style of Becca's - easy to apply, does not appear chalky at all.
And the shade pale yellow is just perfect. it illuminates your skin (well, foundation in my case) and sets it OK. I really like the finish, it is refined, a little powdery (yes, you can tell you have powder on, but it is a lovely elegant finish). This is right after appplication....
Now: The only (but BIG) downside... - rating dropped from 4 to 3 lippies - absorbtion power is almost nil.
It's spring turning into summer here, so it's warm but not hot, yet. My foundation + powder is supposed to stay matte until midday at least (i makeup at 8.30am).
I have combo skin, not particularly oily, just the typical T-zone that needs control.
Well it's 9.40 (I mean, one hour later after makup) and I am already shiny!! This is not conceivable... it means powder is not working ok.
Consider the foundation I applied today (Kanebo cream) is the same I put yesterday set w/ Armani powder - and it was looking fine for hours.
So I guess I will have to use BB powder only in the evenings or in deep winter when shiny T-zone is not an issue.
It's a pity, as the looks of it is gorgeous but alas, not the same as efficacy is concerned...

on 12/21/2008 1:43:00 AM

i really like the color of this powder, as the yellow really does help reduce the pink/red in my skin. but i think everything else about it is just OK. it can look heavy on the skin and it also doesn't help w/shine too much. but i use it anyway b/c the color is so good. also, i have sensitive skin and this doesn't break me out. i tried the MUFE hd-powder recently and it broke me out horrible so now i just stick to this.

i use the sheer finish version.

on 12/18/2008 4:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I think this is a good but not great powder and used this for a little over a year, but now I use Nars loose powder in eden. I waited to write a review of this product because i was never totally sure about it, i was pretty sure there were better products out there...however, i originally bought it because i was using the BB concealer/corrector sets and wanted the yellow powder to correct my undereye darkness. It does an okay job of doing that. This powder is a bit on the unatural side but really blends in any discoloration or blemishes which I like. I also kind of like the vintage looking complexion it gives you. In my experience, this powder does not keep your makeup on and it will slide right off about 4 hours later. My face also gets super oily as I wear this. So this is a good powder, just not the best. I doubt I will repurchase.

edit: as I said I've been using Nars, and ever since I stopped wearing my BB powder I have not felt like I look good. I tried on my BB powder again and it instantly freshened up the look of my face, looks like it lifted up my eye area, and blurred out all the ruddiness in my face. Voila I felt pretty again haha! I might use the two together bc the Nars powder is good at absorbing oil. I think they both come off but I'm more pissed when the BB powder comes off bc it makes such an improvement compared to my normal skin! I'm not changing the rating, but just my assessment.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Since I use Bobbi's foundations, its only natural to buy the loose powder to set it. I have this in shade Pale Yellow since I have fair/light skin. I use Bobbi's liquid foundation in Luminous Moisturizing (its a HG for me) in shade Warm Sand 2.5.

I also use her powder puff to pick up the powder and apply it to my tzone and use a brush to do a lite dusting to the rest of my face. Its the best ever!!