April 19, 2014 | 1052 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2012 10:37:00 AM More reviews by noelle198311

I have never tried eye primers before until it was recommended by makeup gurus in youtube. I did my research on the various brands and it seemed that this one got one of the best reviews.

I'm happy to say that this has worked for me. It has made my eyeshadows appear brighter and made it seem that they were more pigmented than when applied without primer. It also made eyeshadow application easier and helped blend them all better.

The two cons about this product: First, on initial application, my eyelids look very dry. However, within 1-2 hours, they don't look as dry anymore. Second, it lasts only for about 6 hours on me. I notice minimal creasing after that time period.

I'll buy this again. However, I would like to give the Nars product a try as it also has good reviews.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by productobsess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Can't live without this eye base! Two of my favourite shades are Peach and Buff. Here's why....

Buff is a gorgeous nude shade with a slight pinky sheen. It has enough coverage to be worn alone and looks amazing with liquid liner along the lash line and the eye socket shaded in slightly. This colour is natural but really pops with other brown tones over the top!

Peach is again nude in colour with a slight peach tinge, this goes on matte. This is lovely alone for a natural look or blends fabulous with other eyeshadows and a blending brush to create a smoky eye.

These eye basic primers stay in place all day long and do not show in creases and hide imperfections. They come in a lip gloss type tube with applicator. I dab the product along the eyelid with the applicator then quickly blend with my foundation brush as it sets quite quickly.

Allot of people ask me how I do my eye makeup and these products really help. There is no need to use a highlighter shadow on the brow bone etc, just apply the primer all over the lid and shade over the top around the socket.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2012 12:25:00 PM More reviews by babyxdee10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

As a primer, I find that it is too thick and creamy. It takes a long time to dry on the eyelids and feels much too heavy when you apply your usual eyeshadows on top. However, I love to use this product as a base for my under eye concealer. I have it in the shade Wheat, and the yellow undertones in it really help cancel out the purple in my under eye bags. It also keeps the concealer lasting all day without creasing. Sometimes I even use it on top of blemishes because I find it also neutralizes redness well, whatever works right?

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by codesucker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this in Cotton, which is a very light, yellow-toned beige. I use it either as an eye brightener (just in the inner corners of the eyes) or as a concealer, if i have burning-red spots (which are horrible to conceal) caused of my mild acne. Using it as a concealer, it works wonders. it might be a little bit drying, so i just use it for small spots. but it stays on and on. the whole day! even when i went to a waterpark, at the end i couldn't figure out where i've put it on, my face looked even, as if i had clear skin! ordinairy concealer normally smudges on me within two hours, because of my oily skin. with this product, i don't have to worry. I don't use it as an eye primer, because the texture is too heavy and too thick for my oily lids, and eyeshadow just glides off (i prefer Nars smudge proof primer). I wouldn't be without this!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2011 10:25:00 AM More reviews by Prncs06

I have this product in the color Buff. Buff has a bit of a pink tone to it that's quite subtle, but pretty. I'm not sure how well this works as a primer, but I do like the way it works as a neutralizing base for eye colors. I will likely purchase again, and would like to try other colors.

*Update* this product does not work as a primer on my oily lids, period. My eyeliner (liquid, no less) rubs off within hours. I still like the color and will continue to use it as a color base, however there's no doubt now that I also need a primer underneath it. I recommend urban decay primer potion for oily lids staying power.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2011 12:38:00 PM More reviews by xina08

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

If you want to look "awake", use this product. A little goes a long way to cover up those little red veins on your lids. Creamy, blendable, wear alone or with shadow. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 3:37:00 AM More reviews by laurall

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product, the shades and the packaging. It looks lovely when you apply it, and offers a great canvas for your eyeshadow. I have it in Linen, and it brightens up my eyelid beautifully. It went for a lighter colour than the colour of my skin (I have brown discolouration around my eyes). The SA initially matched me to the Wheat shade, saying that LM always recommends the same shade as the skin, but I had to return it and get Linen because Wheat was too dark and not brightening enough. Should have followed my instincts and not have listened to her!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

This is pretty good if I don't use too much of it. It cakes if you use too much! Doesn't irritate my eyes, and creates a blank canvas. I have it in "Linen". I'm very fair. This makes colors show true.

EDIT: I'm bumping this down to a three. I do think that it should earn 3 1/2 lippies, though. The product only keeps my eyeshadows vibrant for about 6 hours before creasing. In the cooler seasons it keeps my shadow on for a while but I can't wear it in the summer because of the creasing.

Important Tip: I can't apply the sponge directly to my eye or else it applies flaky. I like to warm up the product on the back of my hand with a stiff brush and the application is MUCH improved.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2010 11:02:00 AM More reviews by LadyPenelope

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am in agreement with most who say this is an excellent primer, but I'm writing a review to warn people that this is really not intended as a concealer. It is much too dry and drying. I put it on this morning and am regretting it, it's made the skin under my eyes even more crepey than usual.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2010 1:36:00 AM More reviews by jellis1982

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Best eye primer ever hands down! I've tried a lot and this one keeps my shadows true, brightens my eye, and keeps the shadows on and from creasing. It needs to be applied with a cream shadow or concealer brush though, the wand is not that efficient. It also hides the tiny veins seen in the thin skin of the eyelids. I can see why this is a Neiman Marcus fave!