Laura Mercier Eye Basics

4.2

(Eyebright, Cotton, Flax, Linen, Wheat, Buff, Peach): Isododecane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Cera Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera Wax), Ozokerite, Talc, Lanolin Acid, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Propylene Carbonate, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Myristate, Propylparaben, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Euphrasia Officinalis Extract, Centaurea Cyanus Flower Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract. ( /-): CI 77019 (Mica), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride).

on 5/7/2013 2:27:00 PM

I have reddish undertone around my eyes and desperately needed good eye shadow primer. I got frustrated at first before using this for the first time, since I didn't know exactly how to use this product. In other words,

1) Do I put foundation, concealer or powder with this?
2) If so, in what order?

Even at this point, I don't know.

Anyhow, I used this AFTER I applied regular primer, concealer, foundation and powder. The result was messy. After this, I applied this after moisturizer (making sure that my eyelids were completely dry). It didn't look like I had enough coverage, but I applied eye shadow over it and it worked.

It seems that this base brings out the original color of eyeshadow and it definitely helps keeping it longer which is a huge plus. I would be very careful of one thing, however. You need to build up eyeshadow little by little, since it is almost impossible to reduce or fix the color once applied.

I love LM products so thought I would give this a try over the Nars smudge proof eye shadow primer. First impressions where great. it is great for oily eyelids which I have and it definitely holds the colour. The only downside is I found my eyelids got quite tight where the crease of my eyelid is and this then made me keep touching my eyelids. I got this in Linen which is a good colour match, slightly lighter than my skin tone but great to really make your shadow pop. Overall, I'm hit and miss with this product.

on 12/26/2012 5:05:00 PM

I have super oily lids and nothing keeps my eyeliner on for more than a few hours. Usually, even with UD primer or Too Faced primer, it ends up a faint line or smudge by the end of my work day. This keeps my liner on the whole time!

on 11/29/2012 9:26:00 PM

I love Laura Mercier products and especially 'eye basics' I apply this product before applying darker eye shadows and it keeps my eye shadow on all day, literally all day. I have never found a product that works as well. I will always be a loyal fan to this line.

Would you buy this product again? yes yes yes!

on 11/29/2012 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a very sensitive skin and this product didn't cause any reactions and bumps. But
it is on the dry side. So if you have dry eyelids, I would recommend putting the product on your fingertips, blend than apply to the eyelids by patting. This makes blending easier (and less pulling the skin).

Later on, I tried elf's primer and liked it much better.

on 11/28/2012 10:37:00 AM

I have never tried eye primers before until it was recommended by makeup gurus in youtube. I did my research on the various brands and it seemed that this one got one of the best reviews.

I'm happy to say that this has worked for me. It has made my eyeshadows appear brighter and made it seem that they were more pigmented than when applied without primer. It also made eyeshadow application easier and helped blend them all better.

The two cons about this product: First, on initial application, my eyelids look very dry. However, within 1-2 hours, they don't look as dry anymore. Second, it lasts only for about 6 hours on me. I notice minimal creasing after that time period.

I'll buy this again. However, I would like to give the Nars product a try as it also has good reviews.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Can't live without this eye base! Two of my favourite shades are Peach and Buff. Here's why....

Buff is a gorgeous nude shade with a slight pinky sheen. It has enough coverage to be worn alone and looks amazing with liquid liner along the lash line and the eye socket shaded in slightly. This colour is natural but really pops with other brown tones over the top!

Peach is again nude in colour with a slight peach tinge, this goes on matte. This is lovely alone for a natural look or blends fabulous with other eyeshadows and a blending brush to create a smoky eye.

These eye basic primers stay in place all day long and do not show in creases and hide imperfections. They come in a lip gloss type tube with applicator. I dab the product along the eyelid with the applicator then quickly blend with my foundation brush as it sets quite quickly.

Allot of people ask me how I do my eye makeup and these products really help. There is no need to use a highlighter shadow on the brow bone etc, just apply the primer all over the lid and shade over the top around the socket.

on 7/29/2012 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

As a primer, I find that it is too thick and creamy. It takes a long time to dry on the eyelids and feels much too heavy when you apply your usual eyeshadows on top. However, I love to use this product as a base for my under eye concealer. I have it in the shade Wheat, and the yellow undertones in it really help cancel out the purple in my under eye bags. It also keeps the concealer lasting all day without creasing. Sometimes I even use it on top of blemishes because I find it also neutralizes redness well, whatever works right?

on 1/31/2012 3:15:00 PM

I bought this in Cotton, which is a very light, yellow-toned beige. I use it either as an eye brightener (just in the inner corners of the eyes) or as a concealer, if i have burning-red spots (which are horrible to conceal) caused of my mild acne. Using it as a concealer, it works wonders. it can be a little bit drying, which is positive, as it can help to dry out your zits. But the best thing is, that it really stays put the whole day, no matter what! Sweat, oil, water (even after a whole day in a waterpark it was still where i had put it). But mostly i need to top it up with another concealer, because 'cotton' is way too light for my complexion. I never use it as an eye primer, because the texture is too heavy and too thick for my liking. But for covering spots it's perfect and as you only need a tiny amount it'll last a lifetime!

on 12/28/2011 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have this product in the color Buff. Buff has a bit of a pink tone to it that's quite subtle, but pretty. I'm not sure how well this works as a primer, but I do like the way it works as a neutralizing base for eye colors. I will likely purchase again, and would like to try other colors.

*Update* this product does not work as a primer on my oily lids, period. My eyeliner (liquid, no less) rubs off within hours. I still like the color and will continue to use it as a color base, however there's no doubt now that I also need a primer underneath it. I recommend urban decay primer potion for oily lids staying power.