April 20, 2014 | 1589 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2012 7:27:00 PM More reviews by BeccahH

I buy this every year when the jumbo size is available. This is the only self tanner that works for at least a year. Drug store brands only last for 6 months tops. The pump is very convenient & the blending brush works great to come out evenly colored.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2012 11:13:00 AM More reviews by dawnzartandlife

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite self tanner. I have tried a lot of other brands, some more expensive, some less expensive. The things I like the most are the color it is when you apply so you can see where it goes, the natural tan on my fair skin it gives, and the brush applicator from bare escentuals. I think you have to get past the smell of all self tanners. Initially this one is great, and the smell afterward, I don't notice so much on me. I got a big pump and the brush as a kit off QVC. It was a great deal. It lasts a long time. The only problem I have with most self tanners is for my legs. You eventually have to shave your legs and you remove all your self tanner whether you want to or not. I wish there was some way around that. I will buy again, but trying another brand someone raves about is certainly an option as well.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2012 8:33:00 PM More reviews by flayfurr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The initial results were fantastic. It gave a beautiful, natural color. I have tried A LOT of self tanners. I apply them at night and take a shower in the morning. Most products last after several showers. This one; however, washed off after the first shower. Not completely, but enough to where I feel like I need to re-apply. If I wanted to do that, I'd spend a lot less money and buy a gradual tanner. Oh, and the initial smell was great but that goes away and you're left with the horrible self tanner smell...even after several showers. This is definitely not worth the money.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by EricaReid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really didn't get a good result with this product.

First of all, it was extremely messy going on. It's super dark and gets on everything! You can forget about leaving the house once you've put this on.

Next, the color was uneven and splotchy. I have medium skin so it's pretty rare when a self tanner comes out like this. But the color just wasn't good.

The only positive with this product is the smell. The cherry fragrance is great.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this product. It's just too messy and doesn't give very good results.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2012 2:31:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Since they didn't have the All Over Face Color at my local Sephora I gave this a shot instead. I like to use a self tanner in place of a foundation in summer since I'm outside a lot in the humidity. This gives great color quickly but I do have to mix it with my face oil or spf moisturizer or the instant bronze color is a bit much and a tad on the orange side and I'm not all that fair. I use this sparingly on my face and get good results without any issues with odor. It's there but maybe because I'm using so little and it's so faint I just don't notice it after 10 minutes or so. I also mix this with lotion if I apply this to my body and get good color but the odor is a whole different story there. I really can't stand it for whole body application. Even if I put it on at night and shower in the morning I can still smell it after using Bronners Peppermint wash. I may purchase this again for face application but I just can't use this on my body. The smell makes me nauseous even diluted and after a shower. Maybe it's just my body chemistry but it's awful like a rancid almond biscuit. Too bad because it works well.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2012 8:45:00 AM More reviews by angel290385

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have freckly pale skin and this tan is the best tan I have used on my skin and I've tried a fair few - St. Tropez, Fake Bake, Jergens, Lancome, Famous Dave's and more and none of them compare to this. I've repurchased about 4 times now. The bottle doesn't last long. If you tan your whole body once a week it lasts about a month. The colour is very natural and I have never had any streaking, or overcolouring on dry areas which is rather amazing. It has an almond smell which I don't mind. You add another layer after a day for a deeper tan and it seems to work quite well. It probably lasts about 3 days on me before I need to exfoliate most of it off. I'll definitely keep purchasing this tan.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2012 6:16:00 PM More reviews by helster83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this self tanner!! I have cool- fair skin with freckles (when I tan I'm a very pale beige) and this tanner blends in quite naturally with my freckles and looks like a realistic tan for me. I apply this with a mit and couldn't be happier with it. For a small bottle of it, there is a lot of product to spread around.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2012 10:56:00 AM More reviews by carmenle22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It give a great color and last for week or long depending on activities. my complaints are:
does streak so buy a mitten to apply properly.
odd fragrance
expensive for the amount of the package.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2012 10:47:00 AM More reviews by theticketybee

To give you an idea of who I am:
I'm very pale, blonde and blue eyes, I buy 'ivory' foundations, I have freckles and I burn very quickly and easily.

What I thought of this self tanner:
I've read a variety of reviews on this product so I bought the small size for 12, which is pretty expensive for the size, I feel. I can find products half the price with more product. However, due to the consistency and strength of the product, I think it will go quite a long way.

I have just tried it on my arms because i wanted to see how it turned out before I went full body! Because I bought a small size it didn't come with the buffer brush, which I may actually invest in. So, I opened it and it smelt good - literally like marzipan. No overwhelming alcohol smell like the Garnier gel one that I've used for a few months. It was very dark brown which is nice because you can use it as a guide. When I put it on my arm it seemed surprisingly light - it wasn't as strong as those instant/wash-off tans, but the colour was there to use as a guide. After maybe half an hour it smelt like marzipan a bit, and suntan lotion.

It's been about three hours now and I haven't washed it off yet. It literally looks like I'm a St Tropez model (minus the amazing body :( haha!). My arms have gone a rich brown, like I've been tanning for days on the beach. In some lights there is a slight orange tint but it's only in certain places so I think I may have not exfoliated well enough/ applied it well enough (e.g. on my elbows and my hands) and I don't think that's a fault of the product. It has inevitably developed the fake-tan smell and the marzipan smell is gone, the sun tan smell lingers a little. Despite the fake-tan smell, it's not ridiculously bad and making me want to die but I think I wouldn't apply this in the day and just go out like their blurb seems to suggest you can.

I think because there is such a dramatic colour increase and I'm very pale, I'll be mixing it with moisturiser and building it up gradually, so I look more sun-kissed than sun-slave. This also means it'll go twice as far!

Just my personal opinion hope it helps :)

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2012 7:50:00 AM More reviews by briannaAMx0

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

All you people keep saying it turned you orange so don't over do it and that you won't buy it again.

........................... How about YOU don't over do it that way you DON'T turn orange?! AND you can continue to use the bottle you paid 25 dollars for!