Stila Pressed Powder Compact

3.2

on 2/22/2006 5:56:00 PM

I love Stila cosmetics generally - so I thought I'd try the powder. The compact is cute and thin so it's easy to carry. The powder was a little too drying/mattifying. It felt cakey and had a maple syrup-y smell to it. Not very clean feeling.

on 1/18/2006 1:42:00 PM

I've been using Stila's pressed powder for over 5 years and have continued to repurchase the refills for this each time I run out ... this is one of my all-time favourite regular pressed powders! I carry this with me on days when I need a pressed powder for touching up shine and/or to freshen my look ... this is not a blotting type super sheer powder (it will give a hint of coverage) and at the same time, this is not like a heavy powder foundation (won't cover spots or serve as a foundation substitute) ... so don't pick this one up if you are looking for either. This is a regular pressed powder that will do what a regular loose powder does (set your make-up or take away mid-day shinies) and it is one of the best!! ... smooth, finely milled, not cakey or heavy, non-comedogenic, won't turn orange even when my skin used to be much oilier ... Best of all, the shades are awesome and neutral yellow-based (I have NC25 skintone and wear Medium, don't go for the lightest shade unless you are Casper white). I also love the refillable silver compact, it is super durable and hasn't deteriorated after 5+ years! HG material for me!

i really like this powder. it looks natural (doesn't make my freckles look blotchy) and evens my complexion. granted, it doesn't keep me oil- free for long- but i do live in Houston where you feel like you took a sweat shower 15 min. out of the house.

on 7/19/2005 4:57:00 AM

In natural light, the powder is very VISIBLE. I purchased the shade WARM. I applied this with the Smashbox #1 powder brush and it looks very cakey. It also darkened on my face. I have very tanned skin and this product made my face look darker then my neck. So far, I am not a fan of Stila cosmetics.

on 2/18/2005 2:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This compact sucks! I wish I didn't have to buy the compact and the refill separately... I guess that's my fault for being nice to the lady behind the counter, but since I have very pale skin, I was left with the white powder and whenever I had to apply it, I always funny looks from people thinking I was trying to go the for goth look... If you want this look fine, but if not, don't try it if you have pale skin too! Also, the powder doesn't cover up as much as I would like it too! My suggestion is to stop experimenting if you have already found your HG powder or compact and stick with it! Right now, I'm using Lancome's Dual finish, and I'm still in love with it- so do yourselves a favor and save that $35-$40 for a better powder!

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Let me say that I hate it when you have to buy the compact separate from the powder. It's not very cost effective, but there you go. I got suckered in & bought it all anyway. I love the compact, the powder has a nice consistancy, but the lightest color is actually white. No color in it at all. I'm a PPP (NW15) but this looked like I was putting powdered sugar on my face. I have never in my life been too dark for anything until this. I might repurchase a refill in a different color, but it's a tad pricey so it'll be off ebay.

on 12/4/2004 8:18:00 PM

I really like this powder. It doesn't morph into a completely different color when applied. Stays true and makes my skin look smooth and shine-free. I don't like that you have to buy the compact separately, but it's reusable (and cute) so that helps.

*UPDATE* I've decided that I don't really like this that much. It's too expensive for what you get. Not enough coverage - pores are too visible.

on 8/12/2004 8:10:00 PM

I realize the compact is expensive, but its cute and at least you only have to buy it once. The lightest shade is WHITE, but isn't too heavy. Its the best for a very fair complexion...I've never found a better powder for that porcelain look.

on 1/16/2004 9:37:00 PM

Disclaimer: this is a review for the compact only and its merit as a compact for putting NYC powder in. I haven't tried the Stila pressed powder itself, and while I realize it's probably unfair to judge how it well it works to hold another brand of powder, I know a lot of people expressed interest in doing this as well, so it is my hope that this information will help them.
Let me just get this out: I am a big old Stila whore. I love the graphics, and I covet just about anything that's decorated with them. I bought this to put my beloved NYC pressed powder into, because even though I thought I wasn't a brand snob, it turns out I can be, if I put my mind to it: "Hmm...what can I possibly complain about? It cost like $2, and the powder controls oil like nobody's business, but um...well, that grey plastic is pretty fugly! And if I threw it on the ground and ran over it with my car, I bet it would totally shatter! Yeah, yeah, I need something better, that's right." (Given the high prices of Stila items, I'm thinking it might have been cheaper to hire a therapist to help me overcome these bouts of self-induced snobbery and subsequent rationalization. But I digress.)

The first thing I discovered, after "depotting" my NYC powder (which was really easy to do--I just warmed the back with a hairdryer and used a knife to pry the edges of the pan out), is that there's no magnet or anything to hold the pan in place in the Stila compact. I didn't want to glue it in, because I want to be able to refill the powder, so I taped it in. A little tacky, sure, but I can deal. Then I discovered that the puff that comes with my NYC powder doesn't fit inside the compact. Well, it does, but it makes it so the compact pops open every 2.5 seconds. I don't know if it's just my compact, but the clasp isn't very strong and it seems to open almost of its own volition. And plus, the compact gets easily scratched if you don't keep it from rubbing up against other things.

All in all, I'm glad I have it, but I wouldn't recommend it to others, especially not to put NYC powder in. See if you can get an empty MAC Blot compact instead. continued >>

on 1/16/2004 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really like this and Im surprised it doesnt have more positive reviews. It is light but adds enough color to balance your skintone...gives a flawless finish when used with a brush. Doesn't change color or break me out...the only negative was the price but like the gal above me said...in the end its cost effective...