Mario Badescu silver powder

3.8

Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide 5/20/09

on 11/10/2013 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is chalk (calcium carbonate) with titanium dioxide & zinc oxide. My sister bought this and after a few weeks her blackheads got a lot worse and she had clogged pores. She asked me if I wanted to try it out and thought maybe it just didn't agree with her skin.

I tried this a few times. Each time I used it, I would wake up the next day with small whiteheads. Nothing major or crazy - just annoying and then I would have to deal with trying to cover it up. I finally looked up the ingredients (my sister had this on her sink and the water had made the label illegible). Why in the world chalk would help remove blackheads is beyond me. . this has no research or reason to back it up. I can't recommend this when there are so many better proven and safe options out there. Plus the titanium dioxide is known to cause breakouts which likely explains the breakouts I had.

I just don't know with this brand anymore and all the issues they have been having with not following FDA labeling guidelines, adding ingredients (one of their creams contained corticosteroids and was not written on the ingredients list, product or box- I know other people have mentioned this too). I don't like putting something on my skin and not even being able to tell what is in the product. And if they can't even follow FDA guidelines what makes anyone believe they care about the health of a customer's skin?

This went sailing into the garbage can before it could cause anymore damage.

on 8/31/2013 12:35:00 PM

Not cheap, but this powder lasts and goes a long way. After reading so many reviews and a gf telling me that it helped shrink her pores, eliminate blackheads, i decided to give it a try. Im not entirely pleased with the results, but I do notice the blackheads are gone, but would come back again a few days later. Maybe the powder lightened the blackheads? As for the pores I think I see a little improvement. Will continue using, hopefully to see more results!

on 8/23/2013 11:14:00 AM

Can't live without this stuff. It's only 12$ and one jar lasts a long time. I've dealt with acne, blackheads, cysts, scarring, you name it, since I was 13. I'm now 30! When I get a breakout or feel one coming on this is my go to product. Only suggestion I have is to not quite follow the directions on the jar. You will notice a flaky powdery mess! I noticed that if I put less than a teaspoon of the powder in a small dish, and add a drop of water with a facial brush or cotton pad, and rub the paste onto my face, I get a perfect result. To remove I use a cotton pad soaked with toner, then rinse with water! Love this stuff!!!

on 8/23/2013 2:28:00 AM

I've been dealing with acne for about 15 years now. Now that I'm older it's just hormonal acne, but there's still never a day that I don't have at least 5 active breakouts. This powder seems to help! I get my acne mainly on my cheeks and chin and this powder helps to absorb the oil that helps cause my acne. I don't really bother using it on my nose because I've used everything under the sun for it and nothing helps with the pesky blackheads. However, it does help prevent me from getting too oily during the day. I love dewy, but dewy and shiny are two totally different looks. Getting it on my face is a little irritating, but if you just experiment with it, you'll find a good balance of moisture on the cotton ball to how much powder ratio. It does flake off a lot when it starts to dry, but it's a very fine powder and I know that going into it, so I don't really let it get to me. Now I'm rambling and I feel like I've made no sense, but hopefully this helped a little :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hi girls

I had to review this product because I actually use it in a completely different way than advised on the package. Let me start by saying that I love Mario Badescu products. Their masks and anti acne product range are what I use for breakouts (only usually hormonal or stress related). They have never ever let me down.
Coming back to the silver powder, I had the most horrible stress related breakout last night, it put me in the saddest mood and I needed it fixed NOW! So instead of using the buffering lotion and waiting three days for everything to calm down, I used the silver powder instead. I mixed 1/4 tsp silver powder + ~ 1tsp water + 4 drops tea tree oil. I Left it on for 15 minutes and washed it all off with acne org face wash. Well this morning there is NO SIGN of breakout!!!!!! The mask calmed inflammation down and left no marks. It also exfoliated the skin nicely and left it baby smooth.

Anyway, I thought I would share. This may help someone and that would be great. Only negative is that it's really flaky but that's a minor issue really.... HG status here girls!!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE: please do not use this mask on sensitive skin or on skin that has had a chemical peel (even a mild one) within the last four days. It will cause a chemical burn-especially because of the tea tree oil.

Take care :-)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have the most stubborn blackheads around my nose and I was so excited when I got this. However I don't see too much of a difference in the amount of blackheads after using this product. I was a little disappointed. I won't be repurchasing but I will continue using it because it does make your skin soft. So that's my only plus with it.

on 6/18/2013 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have a lot of black heads so I was excited to use this! Especially after all the good reviews I read on MP.
I bought it at nordstrom and the lady behind the counter raved about it, saying how great it was blah blah.
I use a wet cotton pad and it's messy, but if it works for you then it's worth it.
I have not seen any significant changes in my black heads and overall skin at all. I've been using it for about 2 months now. Though I will continue to use it for the sake of using it. I hope I see some difference after continuous use because I'm very frustrated with my stubborn blackheads!
As for removing it, I don't see what everyones complaining about. I use a toner on a cotton ball and it comes right off. I give it a 2 because it atleast makes my skin smooth.

EDIT: I've stopped using this for a very long time now, but just wanted to mention how this never removed my blackheads or anything special. I have to admit my blackheads are kind of deep but I was still disappointed. I know you want to believe this, but let's be real. Powder isn't going to pull it out. It does clean the skins top layer though, and is drying, making it good for acne. If you want your blackheads gone, get an extraction facial!

on 4/14/2013 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product was a tough one for me. You dip a damp cotton ball into the powder and rub it on your face... But if your cotton ball is too wet it turns into a mess on your face and does not do anything, if your cotton ball is not wet enough you end up spilling all of the powder onto the counter. Then as you are sitting waiting for it to dry the powder will begin falling off of your face and all over your shirt, couch, dog... Whatever is around you. I still gave it the old college effort and tried this product a few times before nixing it. It just didn't seem to do anything positive for my skin. I can think of a few other masks that way outshine this.

on 4/2/2013 4:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this about a year a go, read the instructions, looked inside the tub, put in on the shelf and forgot about it. BUT, a few months ago my skin was at its worst with blemishes and scarring, and I remembered about it, and came on here to read some of the reviews. I decided to give it a go, rather than buying yet another acne-wonder product.

It's a bit of a fiasco to use. I use it at night and wash my face, and apply moisturiser as normal. Then I take a cotton pad which is soaked with toner, dip it into the jar (the powder goes everywhere), and smear the powder across my face, which then becomes a paste with the toner (as the product begins to dry, the powder goes everywhere again, and I look ridiculous). Although the product says to remove it after 10 mins, I leave it on overnight and in the morning, it's all over the covers, with just some product remaining caked over blemishes and settled into pores.

Once I've washed my face thoroughly in the morning, the blemishes are much less angry-looking and red, they're all a bit more under control and my skin feels nice and dry.

This stuff works on spots, but I've noticed no difference with blackheads (though I might if I used it properly). I generally use this a few nights running, am really pleased with the effect, then stop because it's just such a production, and I fancy a night with clean bedding. Then I go back to it after a couple of weeks when things are bad again.... It's nice to know it's there for damage-control!

on 2/21/2013 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I believe I bought this based on the reviews here. Otherwise, I doubt I would have even come across this, let alone tried it. This is actually one of the better Mario Badescu products - it does what is says it will and it is relativity cheap.

This silver powder is just that - loose, white powder that comes in a plastic jar. To apply, you moisten a cotton pad and apply wherever you get black/whiteheads. The paste dries and you remove it with astringent or toner. Since I only get blackheads on my nose, I've only used it there. It works quite well as my nose is pretty congested and, frankly, pretty gross. This product is also more economical to use than Biore strips, especially if you get blackheads frequently. Don't get me wrong, I still love me some Biore strips but at $9 a pop for a box of six, I'm not about to use them two times a week. They're also a bit too harsh to use on my nose that frequently. This is a great alternative that really works.

The only real downsides to silver powder is it's a pain to take off. It's not a one-swipe-and-it's-off kind of deal. If you have darker skin, it also leaves a bit of a white cast. It fades after a bit so it's not a huge deal but it is noticeable.

Overall, this is a pretty awesome product that I'm glad I found via Makeupalley. It's relatively cheap and you get a ton of powder. Unless you use a large quantity, one jar should last the better part of a year or more.

Popular Masks