July 26, 2014 | 992 users online

Masks - Mario Badescu - silver powder

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 5:22:00 AM More reviews by Bellajean2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hi girls

I had to review this product because I actually use it in a completely different way than advised on the package. Let me start by saying that I love Mario Badescu products. Their masks and anti acne product range are what I use for breakouts (only usually hormonal or stress related). They have never ever let me down.
Coming back to the silver powder, I had the most horrible stress related breakout last night, it put me in the saddest mood and I needed it fixed NOW! So instead of using the buffering lotion and waiting three days for everything to calm down, I used the silver powder instead. I mixed 1/4 tsp silver powder + ~ 1tsp water + 4 drops tea tree oil. I Left it on for 15 minutes and washed it all off with acne org face wash. Well this morning there is NO SIGN of breakout!!!!!! The mask calmed inflammation down and left no marks. It also exfoliated the skin nicely and left it baby smooth.

Anyway, I thought I would share. This may help someone and that would be great. Only negative is that it's really flaky but that's a minor issue really.... HG status here girls!!!!

IMPORTANT NOTE: please do not use this mask on sensitive skin or on skin that has had a chemical peel (even a mild one) within the last four days. It will cause a chemical burn-especially because of the tea tree oil.

Take care :-)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2013 1:41:00 AM More reviews by Shaughnessybby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have the most stubborn blackheads around my nose and I was so excited when I got this. However I don't see too much of a difference in the amount of blackheads after using this product. I was a little disappointed. I won't be repurchasing but I will continue using it because it does make your skin soft. So that's my only plus with it.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by xkianax

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have a lot of black heads so I was excited to use this! Especially after all the good reviews I read on MP.
I bought it at nordstrom and the lady behind the counter raved about it, saying how great it was blah blah.
I use a wet cotton pad and it's messy, but if it works for you then it's worth it.
I have not seen any significant changes in my black heads and overall skin at all. I've been using it for about 2 months now. Though I will continue to use it for the sake of using it. I hope I see some difference after continuous use because I'm very frustrated with my stubborn blackheads!
As for removing it, I don't see what everyones complaining about. I use a toner on a cotton ball and it comes right off. I give it a 2 because it atleast makes my skin smooth.

EDIT: I've stopped using this for a very long time now, but just wanted to mention how this never removed my blackheads or anything special. I have to admit my blackheads are kind of deep but I was still disappointed. I know you want to believe this, but let's be real. Powder isn't going to pull it out. It does clean the skins top layer though, and is drying, making it good for acne. If you want your blackheads gone, get an extraction facial!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by lovelyKk

This product was a tough one for me. You dip a damp cotton ball into the powder and rub it on your face... But if your cotton ball is too wet it turns into a mess on your face and does not do anything, if your cotton ball is not wet enough you end up spilling all of the powder onto the counter. Then as you are sitting waiting for it to dry the powder will begin falling off of your face and all over your shirt, couch, dog... Whatever is around you. I still gave it the old college effort and tried this product a few times before nixing it. It just didn't seem to do anything positive for my skin. I can think of a few other masks that way outshine this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2013 4:51:00 AM More reviews by susieglass

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this about a year a go, read the instructions, looked inside the tub, put in on the shelf and forgot about it. BUT, a few months ago my skin was at its worst with blemishes and scarring, and I remembered about it, and came on here to read some of the reviews. I decided to give it a go, rather than buying yet another acne-wonder product.

It's a bit of a fiasco to use. I use it at night and wash my face, and apply moisturiser as normal. Then I take a cotton pad which is soaked with toner, dip it into the jar (the powder goes everywhere), and smear the powder across my face, which then becomes a paste with the toner (as the product begins to dry, the powder goes everywhere again, and I look ridiculous). Although the product says to remove it after 10 mins, I leave it on overnight and in the morning, it's all over the covers, with just some product remaining caked over blemishes and settled into pores.

Once I've washed my face thoroughly in the morning, the blemishes are much less angry-looking and red, they're all a bit more under control and my skin feels nice and dry.

This stuff works on spots, but I've noticed no difference with blackheads (though I might if I used it properly). I generally use this a few nights running, am really pleased with the effect, then stop because it's just such a production, and I fancy a night with clean bedding. Then I go back to it after a couple of weeks when things are bad again.... It's nice to know it's there for damage-control!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I believe I bought this based on the reviews here. Otherwise, I doubt I would have even come across this, let alone tried it. This is actually one of the better Mario Badescu products - it does what is says it will and it is relativity cheap.

This silver powder is just that - loose, white powder that comes in a plastic jar. To apply, you moisten a cotton pad and apply wherever you get black/whiteheads. The paste dries and you remove it with astringent or toner. Since I only get blackheads on my nose, I've only used it there. It works quite well as my nose is pretty congested and, frankly, pretty gross. This product is also more economical to use than Biore strips, especially if you get blackheads frequently. Don't get me wrong, I still love me some Biore strips but at $9 a pop for a box of six, I'm not about to use them two times a week. They're also a bit too harsh to use on my nose that frequently. This is a great alternative that really works.

The only real downsides to silver powder is it's a pain to take off. It's not a one-swipe-and-it's-off kind of deal. If you have darker skin, it also leaves a bit of a white cast. It fades after a bit so it's not a huge deal but it is noticeable.

Overall, this is a pretty awesome product that I'm glad I found via Makeupalley. It's relatively cheap and you get a ton of powder. Unless you use a large quantity, one jar should last the better part of a year or more.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2013 9:12:00 AM More reviews by vkun1297

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing product for my nose, i've never ever seen my nose this clean and poreless!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by runswthscissors

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just bought this today so I will try to update later. I have large pores and pesky blackheads on my nose that I can never get rid of because they seem too deep. I figured I'd give this a try based on great reviews. I used as directed and people aren't lying when they say a little goes a long way. I let it dry for 15 minutes and removed with toner (as directed) and then washed my face regularly since many people said it was difficult to remove. I noticed a small change, but not the miracle I was hoping for. Lots of people mentioned how well it worked in conjunction with pore strips but those have never worked for me so I decided to try simple extraction with a steel comedone extractor which, by the way, has never worked for me before - the blackheads were just too deep. I was amazed at all the gook I pulled out of my pores! I extracted all along my nose and cheeks and I'd have to say my pores are 80-90% clearer. I will continue to use this to pull these blackheads to the surface and I'm glad I found it. I can't say whether or not I would buy it again because I would imagine this container will last more than a year. and I'll see what my skin looks like then.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2012 8:31:00 PM More reviews by sararosered

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I give this a 4/5 because it does work, but not as a blackhead removal tool, and it's a pain to clean off my face. I use it on my whole face (not just nose and chin where my blackheads are most prominent) as a drying agent instead of as a blackhead remover. My acne is noticeably smaller and less red the day after I use it. I try to use it once a week and follow up with a good exfoliation the next morning to get rid of any lingering 'whiteface' from the powder because it's difficult to remove. I've never followed up with a biore pore strip to see how effective it is at pulling out blackheads because I've got large sebaceous glands so my pores look big regardless of what products I use on them.

It would be a 5/5 for me if it wasn't so difficult to remove. My acne is dried out but my face doesn't feel dry or flakey.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by yanqi83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am surprised at the cost everyone mentioned here. I bought mine for SGD58 at sephora! (about USD47)

I noticed my clogged pores and whiteheads reduced after 1 use. I dislike the package and the product is very hard to remove. I went through a lot of toner and cotton pads, and I can still see tiny bits of the powder in my pores! I used a korean pore brush to get them all out.

UPDATE: I found an excellent way to remove the powder after using toner on cotton pads. I pat my face dry, and use Ginvera Marvel gel or CURE Aqua Natural gel to remove all the bits of powder & gunk in my pores. They all came out easily without the need of scrubbing & tugging my skin. These are gels which bind with dirt and gunk on the skin and turn into white bits which can be washed off easily. :) try it!!